four.

Guardian Angel
four
Soyeon's POV

 

I woke up to the pounding of the door. Turning my body towards the wall and pulling the covers over me, I groaned. What time is it? Slowly and relunctantly, I pulled the covers down. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrated the window, blinding me slightly. I sit up and dragged my feet off the bed, rubbing my eyes with my knuckles. How was I even able to fall asleep? Wow, I must have been really tired. The pounding on the door became louder. "Alright, alright I'm coming. Geez." I muttered, getting up from the bed and making my way towards the main door, not bothering to fix my hair. I opened the door and I must say I did not expect to see the person behind the door. "What took you so long! I thought you died inside I almost called the ambulance." he made his way past me with his arms full of plastic bags. 

"Minho? Shouldn't you be back next week?" I questioned as I closed the door and followed behind him. He settled the plastic bags down on the kitchen counter. "Nah, Jeju was too boring." He flashed me a grin. "I got you and Jiho some food! And a few small gifts. Is he around?" Minho must have noticed the expression of my face. He raised his eyebrow and shot me a quizzical look. I sighed softly as I walked over to the refrigerator to get myself a glass of cold water. "He's in the hospital now."

"What? Wait what? Hospital? I was only gone for a few days and you're telling me he's landed himself in hospital now?!" Minho continued ranting and mumbling to himself, swearing that he was going to kill Jiho for not taking care of himself or something along that line. I closed my eyes.

"Hey but, is he okay though?"

I opened my eyes realising that Minho had finally stopped. I shook my head. "He lost his memory. His memory of me to be exact. I guess he hit his head pretty hard, he was in a coma for a few days." I said quietly, taking another sip of water. 

"He's completely forgotten about you?" Minho asked in shock. He was genuinely concerned now. "How are you feeling?"

"What do you think." I simply said, expressionless.

"Right." He squeaked as he look at me cautiously. "But, are you going to try to get him to remember you? Something like that? I mean you both practically love each other."

"What are the odds of him even remembering me, Minho. You can't fight with the human body. The stupid thing is that we got into a useless and insignificant fight right before the accident and I got him into it. You know why? It was because he made a huge mess in the kitchen and I somehow was crazy enough to let it annoy the hell out of me so much so that I just left the house without saying much to him- No, we didn't even get into a fight, I was the one who starting being all crazy and demanding and controlling like the stupid girlfriend I am who doesn't even stop to spare a thought for other people!" I hollered as the old feelings of guilt washed all over me once again. I bit onto my lower lip as my eyes turned glossy with tears. I tried to blink them away, and realised that I couldn't. Pulling up the hood of my jacket, I stared at the ground. The silence hung in the air like the suspended moment before a falling glass shatters on the ground. Finally, I managed to collect myself and stood up, "I'll go wash up." leaving Minho by himself in the kitchen, deep in thoughts.

 

After taking a quick shower, I shuffled my way back to the kitchen. "Sorry about that." I apologized and plopped down onto the chair. "Nah don't worry about it, I'd be pretty frustrated myself." Minho assured me before slapping his forehead. "I think that came out the wrong way." I chuckled to myself. "Here, eat." He smiled as he took out a pack of food from one of the plastic bags and placed it in front of me. I'd say I was quite grateful towards Minho. I would probably still be in bed and wallowing in self pity if he didn't come by today. Minho is a friend that I trust after Irene, not only because he is Jiho's best friend, but because I've spent enough time getting to know him to confirm that he is indeed a trustworthy person. I would say that Jiho and Minho are very much alike in which they can both be really embarrassing at times, but they are both really passionate about doing what they love. However, they are both different in their own ways as well. I first got to know Minho through Jiho, of course. He tried flirting with me, which was what Jiho did too when I first met him. Minho soon became a person that I would go to if I had any problems with Jiho, other than Irene. He's kind of like a brother to me, I guess.

 

Minho spent the rest of the day with me, just catching up and browsing through channels on the television. Irene called later in the afternoon, informing me that Jiho is ready to go home.

"Do you wanna come over and pick him up?"

"Would he mind?"

"Of course not, I've already explained it to him."

"I don't think it's a good idea..."

"You're still going to see him when he gets home anyway."

"Which home are you talking about?"

"Uh... Well his parents are here..."

"Then he should be going back to his parents' house, no? Besides it would just be awkward for him to come back here."

"Soyeon-"

"I don't even think he remembers we live together in his apartment."

I could hear a brief sigh coming from Irene. "Are you okay though?"

"I will be." With that, I hung up.
 



Days have gone by slow and unmercifully and here I am still alone at home. I was just starting to get used to it. Jiho had gone back to live with his parents, Irene and Minho had work to do and obviously they couldn't always be with me. I've quit my part time job at the ice cream parlor ever since the accident. I spent most of my days either lying in bed or watching a few shows here and there. I clasped my phone, hoping that I would receive a notification from Jiho. A text, a call, anything. And there it was on my wallpaper, a picture of us. I run my fingers over the screen, tears gathering behind my eyes. It was the first picture we took together, our first date. I briskly wiped the tears from my eyes, the memory of the date still fresh in my mind. I wished he was here so that he could comfort me. I missed Jiho. I missed Jiho so much. I had no idea how I was going to contact him. But again, I figured that I shouldn't because I was the one who put him in this state. How much would he abhor me if he knew I was the cause of it all? Jiho hasn't contacted me at all either. It seems as if he has already forgotten all about me. Who was I kidding though? He doesn't remember me at all. The regret would come to me in quiet moments, such as when I was going to sleep or whenever I stopped to take a quick meal or a shower. It would seep to the foreground of my mind and demand to be reexamined again. It would be a lie to say that I am not one bit affected by it. I turned my head towards the television. Staring at my reflection in the screen, I am shocked. I looked okay, normal even. Inside, the ache for Jiho gnawed at my very heart that still beats endlessly for him. I pulled my lips into a small smile and let out a frightened sob when I realised that anyone could easily mistake this lacklustre grin for real happiness. It amazed me to think how I am able to look so ordinarily normal on the outside when I am actually so crumbled inside. The darkness swirled around my curled form on the couch, tendrils of inkling bleak reminders of my solitude. The silence echoing in my ears was the constant white noise that never shut up. My head swam in the fire burning inside, the only smouldering embers of a time where there had been other presenced with me, around me, in me. But now, the void had been slowly filled with a cold, howling storm of fear that refused to ever let up. I was completely and utterly alone in my mind, body, soul, and most of all, entirely alone in the world. However, I will be fine. Even if I'm not, I will try to be. 
 


the writer's words
 

Okay this chapter is kinda boring but, character development you know! I'm not sure if I'll be adding more characters to this story. Thanks for those who subscribed though, it's an encouragement.

 

< a tori creation >