three.

Guardian Angel
three
Soyeon's POV

 

My heart dropped into my stomach. I couldn't believe my ears, "What?" I managed to croak out, looking at him wide-eyed. The doors opened before he could speak. "Sorry I'm late- Jiho!" Irene rushed in, standing by my side, "When did he wake up?" she asked, looking at me. My eyes remain fixed on Jiho. "Oh baby you're here!" He exclaimed as he smiled at Irene, reaching his hand out to hold hers. "This must be your friend?" He turned to me with a questioning look on his face. Irene was dumbfounded as her jaw dropped. "Hey, you serious- Dude, don't play around." Irene spoke lowly, giving him a light shove. I closed my eyes, praying that this would be a joke. I mean, he couldn't have really lost his memory... Jiho just seemed to look more confused. "What? She's not your friend?" The nausea swirled unrestarined in my empty stomach. My heart felt as if my blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. The desolation I felt was all consuming. No, he did not seem to be joking at all. The look on his face is clear enough.

"You have got to be kidding me..." Irene muttered, taking a step back. She looked over at me and grabbed hold of my wrist. "I'll go get the doctor."

"No." I shook my head. "It's fine. Let him rest." My voice cracked. I clenched my fists tight and tried controlling the tears that were going to spill out any moment, "I'll be going." Not taking a second look at either of them, I grabbed my belongings and walked out of the ward, into the lift, out of the hospital and towards the bus stop. The bus arrives a few minutes later. As soon as I got a seat at the back of the empty bus, I buried my face in my hands immediately, letting out the emotions that had been eating me from the inside. I was at a loss. I didn't know what to feel. Just like a bigger goldfish eating at a smaller one, pecking at its scales until it is and vulnerable to infections, it is the same way that the regret is getting to me now, taking a little bit of my defences at a time, coming in waves. What I should have done or said differently, or what I shouldn't have done at all, I can't undo it. I can't undo all of it. 

 


 

Irene's POV

 

I jolted up from my seat, looking around for my phone frantically. " I'm late!" I shrieked, looking at the time. I stood up immediately, grabbing my bag before hollering to my colleagues. "Got to go! See you guys tomorrow!" I made my way out of the office building and towards the taxi stand. It was supposed to my shift at the hospital now. Soyeon was probably dead tired. Jiho needs to wake the hell up soon, she can't keep staying by his side and watching over him, she has to make her own living too. Getting in to the taxi, I whipped my phone out and messaged Soyeon, informing her that I am already on my way.

 

Minutes later, I arrived at the hospital and quickly made my way up towards the ward Jiho is in. "Sorry I'm late!" I opened the doors and to my surprise, Jiho was sitting on the bed fully awake. "Jiho!" I exclaimed, going towards him. "When did he wake up?" I asked Soyeon. I looked over at her, her facial expression unreadable. It was as though she had just been through a tough day. Not that none of her days have been smooth sailing to begin with. "Oh baby, you're here!" I glanced at Jiho, noticing that he was smiling at me. I looked down at his hand which was holding on to mine. What is this guy up to now? Oh no, has the accident made him go bonkers? "This must be your friend?" He continued on. I stared at him open mouthed. My brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that I was shocked. What in the world... I shoved him lightly. "Hey, you serious- Dude, don't play around." I stole a small glance at Soyeon. She had the same unfazed look on her face. It suddenly hit me that Jiho could not recall anything. Hell, he still thinks both of us are together. I couldn't help but steal a look at Soyeon now and then. I'm sure her mind is pretty conflicted right now. "I'll go get the doctor." I offered, grabbing her wrists. She refused. I watched Soyeon as she gathered her belongings before leaving the ward. I felt terrible. Imagine your own lover not being able to remember you, it would literally tear you apart.

Turning to face Jiho, I crossed my arms. "Woo Jiho. You better not be fooling around." He raised his arms up in defense. I sighed before continuing, "I'm not your girlfriend, Jiho. Soyeon is. The girl who just left." he simply stared at me. "Are you listening to me?" I shook him by his shoulder, "Yah Jiho."

"What happened to me?" His voice came out barely a whisper. I bit my lip, not knowing if I should talk. "Did I lose my memory?" 
 


 
Soyeon's POV

 

I dragged my feet along the cement of the empty sidewalk with my hands shoved deep into my pockets. My shoes scraped against the concrete, making unpleasant sounds each time I moved forward. I couldn't get the scenario out of my mind. Exhaling deeply, I dug around in the mess of my bag, fishing out my keys. The sound of clanging metal enters my ears as I inserts the keys into the lock. I kicked off my shoes, walking into my room and dropped my bag to the floor with a thundering thud. As I threw myself on the bed, I took my phone out. I had missed calls and texts all from Irene. I was too tired, both physically and emotionally to reply. The scenario back in the hospital begins to play in my mind again. The look on Jiho's face broke my heart. He could not remember me at all. He could only remember that he was still dating Irene, which was before the time I had met him. I was a stranger to him. I curled up on my bed, sobbing. I only had myself to blame. I had caused everything. Because of my obsession of being neat and tidy, I made everything change. Jiho will never remember me again. My world had shattered and I did not know if it would ever be right again. 
 


the writer's words
 

My heart literally aches for Soyeon like omg, the love of your life losing his/her memory of you, that is the most heartwrenching feeling ever. It's 2 18 in the morning and my eyes are feeling pretty funny now. And I feel like no one's actually reading this sobs. 

 

< a tori creation >