In his eyes

⚜ There Were Stars

{chapter one}

 

                "How is your girlfriend doing?" I purposely interrupted him when he was midsentence rambling about memorizing his new lines for his upcoming play. Baekhyun abruptly stopped complaining and his eyes lit up immediately. A big dopey grin spread across his lips as he instantly gushed, "She's doing really good! She's actually going to be back for all of next week, so I'm throwing her a surprise party when she gets home on Saturday!"

                "Really?" His smile was contagious; because I found myself grinning as well as excitement filled my chest. But I was excited for a different reason. I wanted to meet this beautiful goddess as Baekhyun called her. Sometimes I felt like I knew more about her than I knew Baekhyun just because he's always talking about her and everything that she liked or didn't like.

                "Yeah! I can't wait! I already have it all planned out and everything! Chanyeol, Chen and the other guys are pitching in and helping me out—do you want to come?! We're inviting a bunch of friends over and you can finally meet her!" His eyes glimmered beautifully and I laughed, "Duh! Of course! I've been hearing about this model girlfriend of yours for three months straight, Baek. I was seriously starting to think that you were just being delusional when you showed me that picture!"

                "What?! I was in the picture too, idiot—are you trying to say that I'm too ugly for my girlfriend?!" His eyes got big and he made a face before I reached over and pushed his head back by his forehead with my pointer finger as I retorted, "Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. I can't believe a goddess like her would even think about dating you." I was kidding, of course, and he knew it as well, but he still feigned hurt and pouted his lips like a big baby.

                "Hey…I'm a great boyfriend. I have the patience of a hundred men combined!" He joked as I shot back, "Yeah, and that's like two seconds altogether!" He glared at me teasingly as I clicked my tongue and wiggled a finger at him, adding, "You set yourself up for that one."

                "That was ist." He narrowed his eyes.

                "I'm sorry." I apologized and half rolled my eyes, already knowing that he didn't take offense. Baekhyun grinned once more and cheekily responded, "Apology accepted." Then he quickly pulled out his phone before texting rapidly. And I could tell by the glisten in his eyes that he was texting her, his girlfriend again. I couldn't help, but smile as I watched my guy friend giggle stupidly to himself as he sent his girlfriend his text. It was probably stupidly cheesy or something.

                "How long have you two been dating again?" I wondered out loud before realizing that I had done so. But Baekhyun didn't seem to mind as he put his phone down and turned his attention back to me with slightly flushed cheeks, "Um—for about a year and almost seven months now. So by the end of this semester, it'll officially be two years." He lifted his fingers up in a victory sign and I chuckled at his cuteness as he continued to blab on.

                "I asked her out on Christmas Eve, but she didn't even answer me until New Year's Eve. Did you know that?" He broke out into an adorably grin and shrugged to himself as he laughed at the memory, "I seriously thought that I had been rejected so I was sad all Christmas, but then I started the New Year with a girlfriend and the girl that I love most in the world." I nodded and listened intently as he continued on, getting lost in his thoughts.

                "Plus we had a first kiss during New Year's." He sighed dreamily and lifted his hand up so that he could rest his chin in his palm as he stared out the window. I only chuckled and shook my head as I turned my attention back to out literature homework while, "Wow. That's really quick for a first kiss, don't you think?" He didn't seem flustered at all as he shook his head, "Nah. It's pretty normal. If you think about it, a lot of people kiss each other on their first dates."

                "Ah, really?" I frowned in surprised as his eyes got coy and he suddenly smirked, "Yah, Soojin, have you ever even dated before?" I rolled my eyes as he laughed in complete disbelief, "No way! You've never dated before?" He reached over and tried to pinch my cheeks as he teased, "Awww, you're still so pure and innocent!" I swapped his hand away before he could pinch me and glared, "Actually, I have dated before Byun Baek."

                "Oh really?" His eyes flickered mischievously.

                "Yeah. I've been on plenty of dates. I've just never actually got with any of them." I shook my head and rolled my eyes again, turning my attention back to the literature homework that I was supposed to be focused on. Yet, I should have figured that Baekhyun would distract me again as he asked eagerly, "Really? Why's that?" I exaggerated my sigh and tried to glare at him, but I couldn't stop the smile creeping onto my face when he looked back at me with his big and curious puppy eyes. I reached out and flicked his forehead lightly, "Seriously, Baek! I'm trying to be productive here." I motioned our notebooks and lit books on the table surface.

                "That homework's not even due until next week." He whined and rubbed his head where I had flicked him before urging me on impatiently, "So? The guys—or girls, I don't judge—why haven't you actually got with any of them?" I barely parted my mouth when he frowned to himself in confusion and scratched the back of his head, "I remember overhearing Miyoung talking to Sehun about how there was a bunch of guys chasing after you too."

                "Ohmygod—no—she was just exaggerating." I quickly shook my head and laughed it off even though it was true. But I didn't want to have that sort of reputation. He turned back to me and made a face that said I'm not buying that lie. I waved him off and continued shaking my head, "I'm become really y when guys start irritating me. That's it. Plus, I don't think I'm ready to date. I'll focus on literature for now." I shot him my sweetest grin and quickly picked up the book that we were supposed to be reading.

                "Yah—" Baekhyun swiftly reached out and pulled the book down just as I opened it up.

                "Whaaaat?" I didn't mean to whine, but I seriously didn't want to talk about my boy problems.

                "Don't worry—I'll drop the topic since it makes you so uncomfortable. I was just going to ask for your help on something." He pulled his hand back and then waved at me to put the book back down. I only stared at him and narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously when he motioned for me to hurry up while making an irritated face. I stifled a giggle at his cute face before setting the book down and lifting my hand up so that I could rest my chin on my hand as I pretended to grunt grumpily, "What?"

                "I want to buy my girlfriend a dress, but I'm currently stuck between two." He pulls his phone back into his hands and quickly slides it over to me after pulling up the two pictures. I pick up his phone and study the two pretty summer dresses. One was a beautiful navy blue halter top dress with buttons golden buttons down the whole front and a small gold belt to match. The other was a white strapless with gorgeous flowers printed on the light material in floral colors.

                "First of all, do you know her fashion style and do you know her size?" I arched a brow at him when he beamed back proudly, "Of course I do! I pay attention to how she likes to dress and I would know her size—she's my girlfriend after all!" He reached over and knocked me lightly in the head like I was an idiot. I only handed him the phone back and shrugged, "Why would you ask me? You know that Miyoung is better at this than I am. She's the one that's got a boyfriend."

                "Yeah, but your taste of fashion is similar to my girlfriend's." Baekhyun shrugged back at me and frowned in confusion when I gave him a look that said Are you freaking kidding me? He raised a brow, "What?" I shook my head and laughed lightly as I kicked him in the leg playfully under the table, "Baekhyun, you need to be careful of what you say and how you say things. It could cause misunderstanding." Sometimes I feel like Baekhyun is way more naïve than I am when it comes to relationships. He only furrowed his brows even more as he chuckled softly, "Soojin. I know where to draw the line between friends and my girlfriend. All I'm saying is that you both have similar fashion styles. Nothing more." Then he laughed a little louder and more teasingly, "You're very pretty and all, but I don't see you in that way, so you don't have to worry about it."

                "Good." I felt my breath hitch oddly in my throat, but brushed it off as I pointed at the dress that I liked more, "I think you should go with this one. Judging from the pictures that you've showed me, it would fit her figure nicely." He looked at the dress and pursed his lips, humming to himself as he thought for a moment. Then he grinned back up at me excitedly, "Hm—mmkay! I'll go with that one then. Thanks! I really appreciate you helping me out!"

                "Yeah! No problem, idiot!" I laughed along with him before his phone suddenly rang.

                "Woah!" Baekhyun jumped slightly in his seat and I covered my mouth so I wouldn't laugh too loud as he quickly answered it. I could tell from the ringtone that it was Chanyeol calling him and double checked my phone for the time. 6:11PM. Glancing back at Baekhyun I began to pack my stuff away as I smiled to myself. Miyoung was probably cooking something up at home right now, so I should be heading back home as well. After putting away all my books, I reached over to help him tidy up his things as well. Baekhyun nodded over to me in acknowledgement and mouthed a silent thank you before I rolled my eyes dramatically at him which earned me a flick in the head from him.

                "Okay—okay! Yeah. I'm on my way now. Yeah. See you two in a bit. Bye!" Baekhyun quickly hung up and then pulled his bag up so that he could stuff his books into it. He sighed, "Do you know how much it sometimes, having a model girlfriend? She's always gone on her modeling trips and so I get to be the fifth wheel on a lot with stupid Yeol and Chen's double date plans." I laughed at him as I grabbed his literature book and handed it to him.

                "Have fun." I taunted him and he pretended to glare at me.

                "I will. I'll make it so that these girls never want to go on another date with them again." His glare quickly melted into a mischievous grin as I grabbed my backpack and got up from my seat as he did. Then after he slung his back over his shoulders, we walked out together. We walked over to the usual corner where we went our own separate ways and I quickly reached out to grab Baekhyun around the neck, yanking him down so that I could knuckle him jokingly while messing up his platinum colored hair.

                "Yah!" He laughed out loud after pulling away from my attack.

                "That's for wasting four hours of my life just ranting about nothing today!" I stuck out my tongue at him while he tried to fix his now touseled hair. Baekhyun laughed and pushed back his hair, which revealed his face in a manlier light than his usual cute look with his hair fringes. I was surprised when he didn't have a retort and only extended an arm out towards me for a quick hug. I should've realized that he had a plan, but I didn't until I one-armed hugged him back and he quickly grabbed my cheek with his free hand.

                "Ha! Is that how you're going to treat your Oppa?!" He laughed while pinching my cheeks.

                "Ughghhhhh!" I pushed his hand away roughly and jumped away from him, "You're only two years older! No difference!" I snapped back while rubbing my sore cheek while he cackled evilly. Then he waved and his evil smile melted into a softer and more genuine one as he turned to leave. I scowled back for a second and then returned his smile as I waved and also went my own way.

 

 

                "You're back." Sehun looked up from his laptop. He was sitting on the small white couch, taking up most of the two seats like always with his legs crossed and his laptop placed onto them. He pushed his glasses up as I nodded while Miyoung turned around from the stove and grinned, "Lucky you. You got back just in time. I was telling Sehun how we should eat everything before you got back." I smacked her gently on the shoulder as I walked around her to grab a water bottle from the fridge.

                "Um. Last I check? I'm your roommate. Not dumb Sehun." I laughed as Sehun grunted in offense from the couch, "Hey! I heard that!" I glanced around Miyoung and stuck out my tongue at him and then looked to see what she had cooked for dinner as she turned the stove off. It was vegetable beef curry tonight and it smelled wonderful. Giving her a quick one-arm hug, I said in my cheesiest voice possible, "Awww, Honey~ You're the best~ I'm so glad that I married you!"

                "Soojin, shut up. You're going to make me throw up." Sehun responded from the couch while Miyoung laughed and pushed me away, "Riiiight, Soojin. That's why you totally ditched me to go hang out with Baekhyun for the whole day!" I mocked offense and then laughed along with her as I walked around the island counter and put down my bag and kicked off my shoes as I pulled the stool out to sit on. Sehun had turned off his laptop and taken off his glasses as he strolled over to us.

                "Did Baekhyun tell you about the party that we're holding this Saturday?" He reached over and pulled Miyoung into his embrace while directing his question at me. I nodded and opened the water bottle to take a gulp from it. Miyoung glanced back at Sehun with an amused brow, "Where?" I answered her question though, "At Baek's place. His girlfriend's returning and staying for the week and he's super happy about it." Miyoung nodded as her amused face turned to a slightly surprised pout, "Ah, so he does have a girlfriend after all."

                "Right?! I said the same thing!" I laughed and she giggled along with me as she pulled away from Sehun to grab small bowls from the cabinet. Sehun only crossed his arms and frowned at me. I took another sip from my water bottle before arching a brow as I asked, "Yeah? What is it?" Miyoung paused and turned around to face us. She looked from me to Sehun and Sehun glanced back at her. Then he turned his attention back to me and uncrossed his arms, "Soojin, do you like Baekhyun?"

                "Yeah! Of course I do!" I made a face as if it wasn't already obvious. Baekhyun was one of my closer friends within Sehun and their group of guy friends. Miyoung only rolls her eyes as she begins the set the bowls again, "She's completely in love with him." Sehun's eyebrow arches in a bemused way and I quickly snap back, "No I'm not!" I glare at Miyoung who grins back evilly at me.

                "You're not?" Sehun asks for confirmation.

                "No. I am not." I repeat seriously, "Don't joke about it. I really want to befriend his girlfriend too, so I would appreciate if you two kept your little jokes to yourself. I don't see Baekhyun in that way." I eyed them both and Miyoung only feigns an innocent look as she shrugs her shoulds quietly. Sehun, on the other hand, grins as he repeats himself, "You're not?"

                "I'm serious. I'm not." I roll my eyes and take a bowl that Miyoung had set out.

                "She's not, babe. I was just teasing her." Miyoung turns back to Sehun and nudges him softly in the side with her elbow, but there's still mischievousness to her smirk as she scoops up the curry into a bowl. I glare at her back while Sehun begins to interrogate me for entertainment. He walks around Miyoung so that he could stand directly across from me as he leans in and makes a face, "Oh really?"

                "Really." I have to restrain myself from rolling my eyes again.

                "Then why are you always hanging out with him at the café?" Sehun prods.

                "To do homework and because he likes to rant a lot, since none of you guys ever listen to him." I nodded at Sehun and he knew that I meant him and his buddies. He only snickers back at me as he also grabs a bowl while Miyoung started scooping out rice from the rice cooker into another bowl, "Well, that's because Baekhyun we've already known each other for three years now. He whines about the same old things just because he's bored. You've only known him for what—four months? You'll get tired of it soon enough." Sehun clicks his tongue tauntingly at me and then turns to give Miyoung a peck on the side of her head, "Thanks for dinner, Babe."

                "What will you two do without me? Seriously." Miyoung only chuckles as she grabs her own small bowl. Only then does she realize that she had completely forgotten about the silverware. Sehun and I laugh at her and her rosy cheeks turn a shade pinker while Sehun grabs all three of us spoons and chopsticks from the drawer. I thank him and steal a sip of curry as soon as I get my spoon while they scooped rice into their bowls.

                "So, you're not jealous when he talks to you about his girlfriend?" Sehun passes me the rice bowl after they got their share. I shake my head and take it from him with one hand while pulling my spoon out of my mouth with the other, "Nah. I think it's ing adorable when he talks about her. I usually bring her into the conversation whenever I'm starting to tune out his venting." Miyoung laughs and I shrug.

                "Really? Why's that? I thought that other girls hated it when guys talked about their girlfriends." Sehun gave me a weird look and I only shrugged again as I picked up my chopsticks so that I could pick out some beef and veggies from the curry. He doesn't let me off the hook though as he turns to Miyoung and arches a brow at her for the answer. Miyoung, being my faithful and loyal bestie ever, only shrugs innocently back at Sehun as if she didn't know; even though we all knew that she knew the answer. I grin to myself while chewing, grateful to have her as my bestest best friend.

                "Soojin-ah. Come on." Sehun urged politely before Miyoung and I looked at each other and made exaggerated faces of surprise. Sehun? Addressing me nicely? That was new. I looked back to Sehun, but there wasn't any playing around in his eyes anymore. He was but curious and that was all. I chewed slowly and look back to Miyoung, silently asking her if I could really trust Sehun. She nods her head at the tiniest and then pops a spoonful of curry into before I sigh and look back to Sehun.

                "It's going to sound stupid, so don't laugh." I started and lifted my chopsticks to point at him threateningly. He only nods and waits patiently as I shrugged again and turned my attention back to picking out beef pieces from the curry bowl, "There were stars in his eyes." I sneak a peek back up at Sehun, but he didn't laugh or even crack a smile. Instead he nodded and urged me on quietly, "Yeah, and?" I take another sip of the curry.

                "And it just makes me really happy for some reason. I don't know? That's it." I hoped that Sehun got the message that I was beginning to feel stupid and that I didn't want to talk about it anymore. From the corner of my eyes, I saw him open his mouth, but Miyoung quickly nudged him. I look up again and see Sehun turn his head before Miyoung abruptly stuffs a spoonful of food into his mouth as she giggles, "Stop talking already and just eat this yummy food that I made for you!" Sehun rolls his eyes but smiles as he chews while I shoot her another grateful look. She smiles back gently and goes back to eating while I pick at my food a bit. I didn't know why. I didn't really care either.

                I just liked seeing the stars sparkle in his eyes.

 


I couldn't stop myself. but because this story is going to be short, i hope you guys don't mind another baek short story to come! i'll explain more in the next chapter author notes! ^^

♥ e