11

The Heat

"Let's watch a horror movie," you whisper to Kai. 

"But there's a soccer match later," he grumbles even as he plays a racing game on his phone, his head on your chest. "And you're watching that with me, so you should take a nap." 

"I promise I'll stay awake for the match," you say. "I really wanna watch Sinister 2 but I had no one to watch with me and since you're here to protect me... Please, Jongin?" 

He actually pauses his game and looks up at you. When he sees your earnest expression, he sighs and sits up. You grin and grab your pillow before following behind your boyfriend to go to the living room. Since it is midnight, everyone is in their rooms, leaving just you and Kai in the living room of his huge home. You settle on the couch while he sets up the television and looks for the movie online. 

When the opening credits of the movie start rolling, you hurry Kai to sit next to you. He trudges over and settles on the couch with his arm stretched out behind you. You already have your pillow in front of your face as you peek out just enough to watch the screen. 

"It barely even started, why are you hiding already?" Kai clucks his tongue, pulling the pillow out of your grasp. You try to grab it back but he holds it out of your reach. "Watch the movie like a normal person." 

"Normal people don't watch horror movies like this," you mutter but nonetheless lean back and move closer to his warmth. 

He eventually drops his wrist so that his fingers are touching your neck. During the length of the movie, he caresses your skin soothingly and you feel calmer than you normally do when you watch a horror movie. The suspense in this movie is no joke though, because you find that you have your breath held three-quarters of the time. 

"Kai," you whisper hoarsely, your eyes trained on the flat screen in front of you. "Can I have the pillow back?"

"No."

"But..." you trail off, holding your breath again as the background music changes.

Even Kai isn't saying anything. The protagonist is treading in an empty house and you swear something is going to appear right in front of the screen just like how jump scares happen. But then someone grabs onto your shoulder roughly and shouts in your ear. You scream, jump a few centimetres in the air and end up scurrying onto Kai's lap. You hide your face in his chest and your boyfriend wraps a protective arm around you. His father is chortling at your reaction. 

"Jesus Christ, dad!" Kai groans, pushing your pillow into your arms. 

His father is still laughing as he sits next to his son. "I'm sorry," he apologises, a bit insincerely. "I came down to wait up for the soccer match." 

"That was very mean of you, uncle," you mumble as you hug the pillow to your body. 

"You shouldn't watch it if you're so easily scared," he says. 

"But I have Kai," you counter without thinking.

When you realise what you just said, you blush but don't correct yourself. Because what is there to correct when it's true? You shift in Kai's embrace so that you're facing the screen again. You press your body as close as you can to Kai and he tucks your head under his chin.

"What time does the match start?" Kai's father questions. 

"2AM," his son answers quietly as he turns his head down to bury his nose in your hair. "Do you want to watch with me." 

You tune out of the movie for a moment because Kai is asking his father to join in watching the soccer match with him. He has always preferred his father over his mother or sister. And though his estranged relationship with his family is improving, he has never tried making plans with them despite his father's efforts in coming home more now that Kai is staying home too. 

"Of course, Jongin," his father accepts the invitation, sounding a bit touched. "I'd love to." 

"Does that mean I don't have to accompany you?" you murmur, turning around to look at Kai. 

"So you can sleep alone with the boogeyman that's hiding in my closet? Sure." 

"Idiot," you huff, getting comfortable on his lap because it seems like you'll be here for a long time. 

So the three of you continue to watch the movie and though you're the one that whimpers and squeals the most, you can also feel Kai tensing behind you sometimes. You're pretty fragile by the time the movie ends, but Kai has to use the toilet. So you sit in a curled up position on the sofa, glancing at Kai's father occasionally just to make sure he's human and won't run away. 

Kai comes back with a lollipop for you and that's when his father says, "Oh, I got those lollipops from Japan. Jongin used to like them as a kid, so I bought a few packets home."

Your boyfriend unwraps the candy for you and pushes it between your lips. The first thing you notice is that the lollipop is fizzy. Like it crackles in your mouth and though you like to move your mouth, you don't like things moving in your mouth. You immediately take it out and stick your tongue out. Kai's father laughs. 

"You don't like it?" he asks. 

"Too..." you make a gesture with your hand that you think portrays fizziness. "Much things going on."

You hold it out to Kai instead and he rolls his eyes, taking it by the stem and popping it into his mouth. He doesn't even look like his tongue is tingling and you're kind of amused by that.

"You're weird," you conclude. 

"Yeah, too bad I'm your boyfriend," he mutters with the candy still in his mouth, not even bothering to take it out so he can speak properly. 

His father laughs. You lift Kai's hand from his lap even as he looks for the sports channel, and lay your pillow on his lap. Once you have your head on the pillow, he rests his arm on your collarbones, still switching the channels.

"If you fall asleep, I'm just gonna leave you here," Kai tells you. "You're too heavy to carry." 

"Are you calling me fat?" 

"No," he rolls his eyes. "I'm just not as strong as you think." 

You grumble under your breath and you hear Kai's father chuckling. Kai finally finds the channel and leans forward to place the remote control on the table. His chest is pressed to your nose and you take this opportunity to breathe in his smell. Then he leans back to continue resting his arm on your collarbones. A few minutes pass in quiet and as someone who talks a lot, you find the silence unsettling.

"How are your joints, uncle?" you enquire Kai's father. 

"As usual," he sighs. "Stiff and painful." 

"You should get it checked," you tell him. 

"Nah, it's just old people's syndrome." 

You laugh, snuggling closer to your boyfriend. He moves to rest his arm to your stomach. You talk to his father for a little while longer until the soccer match starts. The two males are focused on the TV screen while you're already zoning out. Half an hour into the start of the game and you already have your eyes fluttering close, football just not your thing. You feel someone threading fingers through your hair and you glance up to see Kai staring down at you. 

"Go to sleep if you're tired," he murmurs, letting his fingers brush your cheek. 

"But I don't wanna sleep alone," you mumble, sounding a bit like a small child. 

"Sleep here, baby," he urges gently. "I'll stay with you." 

So you listen to him and give in to your sleepiness. You hear Kai and his father conversing, though they're too soft and muffled in your sleep. When you wake up the next day, you expect yourself to be on the couch, your head still on Kai's lap. But instead, you're in the comfort of Kai's room, your head on your boyfriend's chest and his fingers in your hair as if in the middle of combing through your locks. 

It is still early and you're still tired. So you snuggle closer to Kai and leave your hand on his chest next to your face, feeling his steady heartbeat. You sleep for another two more hours before you wake up again. Since he slept later than you did, Kai is still unconscious. You extricate yourself from him as carefully as you can and pick up your phone from the bedside table. You're checking your messages when Kai prods your back. You turn around to see him squinting at you through tired eyes. 

"Did your team win?" you ask him, locking your phone. 

"By a point," he mutters, rolling to your side and laying his head on your pillow.

He closes his eyes again, looking like he is about to go to sleep again. So you ask him, "Did you carry me up?" 

He hums as a yes. "Guess I'm as strong as you think." 

You giggle and lean down to kiss the apple of his cheek. As you shower his face with kisses, you murmur, "My hero, Kim Jongin."

Kai starts off the day with a smile on his face.

 

page-divider.png

 

You have to rub your eyes and blink hard when you see someone walking next to Kai.

The two are about the same height and their skin colours make a nice contrast. You almost feel jealous at how good they look together. But then you see a knit between your boyfriend's eyebrows. You look at the guy next to him and you realise that he's talking. As in running his mouth off just like how you always do. You're proud at the fact that Kai doesn't fling this person away at once and is actually listening. You're also slightly surprised that this person dares to speak to Kai. No one really talks to Kai in classes or lectures. Everyone know how his temper is. Or was.

"...and their synchronisation is awesome! Have you seen them?" the new guy is talking, obviously. Because your boyfriend is a block of wood.

You join the duo from the side, bumping your shoulder against Kai's arm lightly as you chirp, "Who's your new friend, Kai?" 

Your boyfriend grunts but doesn't say anything. So the guy takes it upon himself to put out his hand for a handshake. 

"I'm Oh Sehun," he smiles.

You shake his hand and introduce yourself. He kind of laughs when he hears I'm Kai's girlfriend, though not in a negative manner. It sounds like he is fascinated by the fact. 

"How do you guys communicate? I feel like I'm talking to a wall," Sehun jokes, a bit too straightforward for someone who isn't close to Kai or you. But you know Kai would appreciate that in a person, since he's always a no BS person. 

You laugh, nodding. "He's tough at first," you agree. Kai sends an insincere glare your way and you smile fondly, slipping your hand in his. "I had to give him lots of kisses and cuddles for him to open up to me."

"Really?" 

"No," Kai grumbles, rolling his eyes. Then he clucks his tongue at you, "Stop making things up." 

Sehun laughs and you ask him, "How'd you meet him?"

"Oh, I have a dance competition in a week's time," he explains. "And I was using the practice room today when Kai came in, having booked the room. So we kind of shared the space." 

"He let you watch him?" you ask incredulously. Sehun nods, brows furrowed in confusion. You retract your hand from Kai's, hurt. "Why won't you let me watch you, then?" 

"I'm not that good," your boyfriend mutters. 

"He's actually really good."

Kai is glaring at Sehun, but you're staring at Kai for an explanation. You know dancing is something he picked up when his therapist recommended him to start finding something he enjoys doing. And ever since that time you saw him in the dance room, you've always wanted to watch him dance. You might be uncoordinated but you know when you see a good dancer. And Kai is definitely one. The only thing is that he never lets you watch him practice. 

"Do you nose into other people's lives on the first meeting?" Kai lashes out at Sehun, causing the guy to purse his lips. But Kai continues, "Isn't that what people with no EQ do?"

"Kai," you snap. He shuts his mouth and glances at you. "Is that how you talk to someone on the first meeting? Isn't this what people with no EQ do?" you retort in a challenging tone.

You're just glaring at each other, the three of you already at a standstill. Sehun fidgets nervously. 

"It's okay—"

"No, it's not okay," you tell Sehun, a little sharper than you intended. You turn back to Kai, your arms across your chest. "I've been telling you countless of times that—"

"Words can build or break someone," he recites in a soft voice. 

"Yes. And what do you think you just did to Sehun with your words?" 

Kai doesn't say anything but hangs his head. You see Sehun about to say something, just to break this tension and awkwardness. You shake your head, telling Sehun not to move. A long minute passes and Sehun looks so uncomfortable that you feel bad for him. But you know Kai. You just need patience with him. And in return, Kai gives you many beautiful things he will never give or even show to anyone. 

He finally sighs and turns to Sehun. He lifts his head and apologises sincerely even though his words come out as a mumble. "I'm sorry about what I said."

You smile briefly, a kind of motherly pride filling your heart. Sehun is surprised at his apology and he's just gaping like an idiot. You gesture for him to say something and that snaps him out of his thoughts. 

"It's okay, Kai," he murmurs shyly. "I'm sorry for being a busybody."

Kai shakes his head, but doesn't answer to that. You rub his back gently in comfort and he looks at you, remorse in his eyes. You take his hand again and ask Sehun, "We're going to get coffee. Do you wanna join us?" 

"I, um... I actually have to go somewhere..." he says awkwardly. 

You raise an eyebrow, "Or are you just avoiding us?" He balks. "Just join us," you smile. "Kai isn't someone to bear grudges." You turn to Kai, "Right, Jongin?"

"Yeah," he sighs, sounding a little forced. You laugh because your boyfriend can be very childish sometimes. "Join us, Sehun," he murmurs softly.

Sehun nods and the three of you walk over to the coffeeshop you normally patron. When you enter the shop, you request for Sehun to get seats after you get his order. When he leaves, you and Kai queue up to order. You don't say anything as you use your phone, not even acknowledging Kai's presence because you just want to make him to feel bad. You're still holding onto his hand though, so he knows you're not too mad.

"I'll let you watch me dance," Kai finally murmurs, breaking the tensed silence. You lock your phone and look up to see him staring at you. "I'll let you watch me." 

"No, I don't want to anymore," you mutter.

"What?" he frowns in bafflement. "Then why'd you get mad at me?"

"Because you didn't want to let me watch you." 

"But now you reject my offer of letting you watch me?" he sounds like he is about to pull your hair out.

"No, I'm rejecting because you're probably shy dancing in front of me and I don't wanna force you."

"Oh," he mumbles, gaping at you. Then he leans into your ear and mumbles honestly, "I am shy of dancing in front of a pretty girl." 

A smile paints your face and you nudge him away playfully. Kai grins, his lips grazing your cheek. The line moves forward and he gives you a quick kiss on your temple before pulling you towards the cashier. Kai orders for the three of you and he pays, just like he always does. Then you wait for your orders by the side, talking to him to kill time. 

"Do you like Sehun?" you ask him, resting your chin on the hand that is propped up on the counter. 

Kai rolls his eyes, "No." 

"Why not? He's nice," you glance at the said boy and see him scrolling through his phone. "And you could use a friend." 

"But you—"

"A friend who isn't your girlfriend," you pointedly add. He grunts. "You need a guy friend, Jongin. And I think Sehun's perfect for you." 

"You're perfect for me," he mutters. 

Your order is ready and Kai takes the tray. As you walk to where Sehun is sitting, you tell him, "You still need a guy friend because I can't always help you out when you have guy problems."

"But I help you with your girl problems all the time — buying you brownies when you're craving, sneaking tampons when you forget them, tolerating your feisty bull..."

You laugh and hit his chest. "I do not do all that!" He is giggling too and it makes your entire body flood with love and affection. You poke his chest, still laughing as you say, "Okay, I do all that but the sneaking tampons one was just one time!" 

"Oh, right," he agrees as you near Sehun. "Because the other time was a sanitary pad." 

"Kim Jongin!"

You are chortling with laughter because he is so mean! He is still chuckling when you join Sehun at the table. He locks his phone and looks up at the both of you, appearing to be slightly amused by Kai's laughter.

"What are you guys talking about?" he finally asks in curiosity, after you have given out the drinks. 

"About how Kai and you should totally be best friends," you say, sipping on your drink. 

Sehun coughs a bit and you think he might be choking on his drink. His eyes dart to Kai immediately and as if Kai understands what that eye contact means, he actually shrugs. 

"You dance well," he mutters, not really an answer but it is something. Especially when it is from Kai. 

It makes you very happy to see how far he has come in terms with his public relations, really. He is understanding people's emotions better, being less insensitive. Though he isn't great, he is trying and effort will always win in your books. There are many other things Kai has improved on; being nicer to his family, keeping his anger in check, listening to people when they talk.

And even though he acts like a tough nut, he's really like a puppy. He craves for the compliments you will give him when he does something right, always looking forward to your Good Job kisses as he calls them. It can be tiring to always keep up with praising him, but you're patient and you know just how insecure Kai really is. And if giving him too much love is the way to go then heck, you'll do it forever.

"You guys should trade numbers or something," you suggest, nudging your boyfriend's leg. 

"We can just meet in the dance room again," Kai murmurs, not very keen on having another person in his contacts. 

But Sehun already has his phone out. He looks awkward as he retracts his hand. You don't want the poor guy to feel awkward twice in one day, so you take his phone instead. 

"I'll give you my number and Kai can—"

Someone snatches the device out of your hands and you turn to stare agape at your boyfriend because rude? 

"You don't need my girlfriend's number," he mutters, already keying in his own number. "If you have it then I'm going to have to kill you." 

Sehun and you laugh because Kai looks really serious about that threat even as he saves his contact in his phone. You pull his phone out of his jeans, unlock it and give it to Sehun so Kai will have his number too. And when the phones have returned to their rightful owners, you don't even have to be the middle person anymore because Kai is already warming up to Sehun just like how you know he would.

Girlfriends always know best.

 

page-divider.png

 

Suho has a friend over when you enter the apartment. The both of them look up and you greet them both politely. You know his friend as Jongdae, someone whom your brother has only recently made friends with. You have seen him with Suho in campus, but not at home. You go to the kitchen and get yourself a cup of water.

The moment Suho and Jongdae finish a game on the Xbox, your brother starts to ask, "Where's—"

"Parking was a ," Kai complains outwardly, stomping into the apartment just in time. 

"Oh, there he is," Suho mutters, sounding like a tired brother even to his sister's boyfriend. He introduces his friend to the guy who is stealing your cup of cold water. "Kai, this is Jongdae. And Jongdae, this is Kai." 

Jongdae looks mildly surprised to see the Lone Wolf in your apartment, just like how everyone is when they see you or Suho mingling with Kai. But then that mild surprise turns into confusion when your boyfriend nods at Jongdae just like a normal guy would. Shocking. 

"Hi...?" Jongdae finally manages. 

"Wanna play C.O.D.?" Suho invites. 

Kai glances at you and you shrug. He accepts the invitation and is about to walk over to the living room when you tug his shirt. He looks at you with that little knit in his brows, always concerned over you. 

"Wait, before you go, can you get me the cup noodles?" 

Kai rolls his eyes but goes over to the cupboard anyway. It would have taken you a few jumps and stretches to get what you want, but your boyfriend is tall and all he really has to do is open the cupboard door, reach for the cup noodle and give it to you. 

"Don't eat too much of that," Suho chastises as Kai leaves you in the kitchen. "Instant food is bad for you." 

"Yeah, yeah," you wave him off and start to cook your bad instant food. 

Once you've poured the hot water into your cup noodle, you take a pair of chopsticks and bring your food to the living room. You sit next to Kai on the floor as your set the noodles on the table. Jongdae is watching your brother and boyfriend shoot each other, his eyes trained on the screen. You really don't get the point of games like these. Also, how do you remember all the names of those guns?!

"Can I have some too," Kai mutters distractedly, having smelled the fragrance of your cup noodles the moment you open the lid.

"You said you weren't hungry," you counter, mixing up your cup with your chopsticks.

"That was before you cooked that." 

"You're always eating my food," you grumble and slurp on the hot noodles.

You hiss when you burn your tongue a little. Kai glances at you worriedly. 

"I'm still playing, baby... I'm not gonna steal your food," he sighs. "You don't have to swallow everything, slow down." 

"Stupid," Suho whispers and you nudge his arm with strength because that will mess up his game, right? 

It actually does and he yells at you when Kai gets a shot at him. Jongdae is laughing and you're glad your boyfriend wins the round instead of your stupid brother. You return to your cup noodles just as Kai looks at Jongdae. 

"Do you wanna play next...?"

Oooh, an actual question! He's getting there!

Jongdae nods and Kai stretches his arm out to pass him the controller. Then he moves closer to you. You give him your chopsticks because you can never say no to Kai, even when it comes to food. You share the cup of noodles as Kai watches the two guys play. Halfway through, he receives a call. Previously, he would have let the call go on forever if he knew it wasn't you calling, but Kai has grown up in the year that you've known him and now he answers whatever call he gets as soon as possible (only after you tell him that one of these calls can eventually, possibly be the hospital calling him about you).

Kai listens to the caller, just like he always does. He never likes being the first one to speak in a phone call. As he listens to whoever is on the line, he drinks his share of soup that would have made Suho work out for two days straight because of how salty it is.

"Of course I remember it's dad's birthday tomorrow," he finally mutters into the phone, his voice muffled as he sips on the soup. "I know," he kind of snaps in exasperation. You place a hand on his inner thigh and he relaxes slightly at your touch. "I already got him a present," he says. "Yeah, we'll be there tomorrow."

He grunts as a goodbye and puts down the phone. You ask him, "What'd you get your father?" 

"Something for his stiff joints... And a pair of jeans because he has the worst taste in denim clothes."

Jongdae actually lets out a fart laughter. Kai has his lips tilted in an amused smirk as he places the empty ramen cup on the table. He unconsciously covers your hand that you have on his inner thigh with his, skinship now soon becoming his second language. 

"They're from the both of us," he tells you. "And you're also coming to the birthday dinner tomorrow." 

"But I bought a pair of cuff links for him too," you mumble.

"Then he'll have a big present this year," Kai murmurs, rubbing his thumb on the back of your hand. 

"Lucky him," you joke. 

"I'll make sure you get a bigger present," he promises, eyes soft on you. "I'll spoil you, sweetheart." 

"Okay," Suho fake gags, nudging Kai's back with his toe even while he plays an intense game hide and seek with Jongdae in COD. "We have a guest over and I really don't want to scare him away until I serve him dinner, so please. Go back to your room."

You grumble as you stand with your boyfriend. You clear the trash on the table and as the both of you leave the two guys to shoot each other, you hear Kai muttering something a little loudly, as if he wants someone (as in Suho) to hear him.

"Time to get a girlfriend, hyung."