NaaJuri (Matsui Jurina x Okada Nana) OS - The Cruel Ritual of the Rose **Genderbend**

Ruka Kikuchi's AKB/48G New Gen pairings OS/2S Collection

You have been chosen.

 

Was I meant to take these words as a blessing? Or a curse?

“This is an invitation from the Council of Roses. If you so wish, go to the rose garden and face your opponent who bears the same Mark of the Rose as you. If you win, you will be one step closer to the Rose Princess.”

 

The Rose Princess… a mysterious, revered young maiden who no one has seen and no one knows about. She might not even be real. Or she is merely a face among the crowd who hid her identity for so long. Perhaps she is my closest friend, and has lied to me my whole life.

 

What kind of sick game is the Council trying to force me into? Is this some sort of test of my resolve as a knight of the Mark of the Rose? To see if I am worthy to bear my title? And they treat this maiden I’ve never known, a princess I’ve only ever heard of in fairytales and rumors, as a prize?

 

It’s cruel… This game. This ritual of the rose.

 

It’s cruel.

 

….

 

“Prince Julio, knight of the White Rose, I have come to challenge you for the hand of the Rose Princess!” My opponent spoke firmly to me, dressed in regal garb of the Blue Kingdom.

 

Okada Nanao, a knight of the Blue Rose crest. He and I were close friends when we were younger, but as we grew older and matured into knights, there’s been a distance between us.

 

Now we were rivals, enemies, who were forced to face one another for a common goal. The Rose Princess.

 

It’s too cruel… Indeed, too cruel. Who is it that made this game for me to fight against one of my closest friends?

 

I unsheathe my sword, facing him.

“Sakura,” I call to the young maiden behind me, dressed in a regal white dress on my kingdom. “The roses, please.”

“Yes, Julio-onii-sama.”

She walks to me, holding two roses in her hand. One white and one red. The red one goes to me, creating a bright shock of scarlet against my pristine, white uniform.

 

Sakura then goes to Nanao, placing the white rose in his pocket. The petals seemed to shine brighter than the purest snow against the deep blue of his clothes.

 

“The goal is to strike the rose on your opponent’s bosom. The victor will be able to meet the Rose Princess,” Sakura explained the guidelines we’ve heard tens of times.

“Your little sister has bloomed quite beautifully, Julio,” Nanao said as Sakura moved away from us, as to oversee our duel. “I’m a bit jealous. I wish I had a cute little sister.”

“I see you’ve matured a lot, as well,” I smiled.

“I’m not the weak little boy I used to be. I’m a noble knight for the Blue Rose,” he raised his sword. “I wield this sword with pride. For glory to the Rose Princess.”

 

I raised my own sword, “Glory to her.”

 

After that, our swords began to clash in a dance of two silver blades. The melodious sound of our swords clashing against one another echoed among the blooming roses surrounding us. Wrapping us in the scent of roses.

 

….

 

“Master Julio, congratulations on completing the Rose Trials.”

I still before the Council of Roses. Hooded figures that were colored with the different kingdoms colors. We stood in the church of St. Versailles, the stained glass painting of the first Rose King standing over us.

Watching… observing… judging us

 

“Now that your trials have been completed, you are granted the right to approach the Rose Princess and you also have permission to engage yourself to her.”

Engagement. The word which some may see as fulfillment of desire, of power.

They say if you become engaged to the Rose Princess, you will have everything. The Rose Princess will do anything you say. She is the key to ruling the seven kingdoms.

 

Is that really what I want…?

 

My father wants me to be a ruler.

The kingdom expects me to become a king.

Sakura is admired by all, and believed to become the next Rose Princess.

 

A soldier, a protector, a knight… A valiant prince. Who everyone holds high expectations to become the next Rose King.

 

Do I want that? Do I truly…?

 

“Go now, Master Julio, to the top of the Versailles Tower, and meet the Princess.”

….

 

The Rose Princess was a symbol of absolution.

Those who are engaged to her will receive all their greatest desires.

Riches, fame, victory in all battles…

 

And most of all, her undying loyalty and love.

 

“Why?” I utter as I stare at the person in front of me, clad in a dress colored red like roses. My eyes were wide, unmoving from their figure and gaze. “Why is it you…?”

 

The Rose Princess… How can this be?

 

Truly… this is too cruel

 

“Surprised, right? I’m sorry, Julio… I wanted to tell you, but I knew no one could know.”

“But why? Why are you here, in that dress? Tell me…” I felt a lump form in my throat. I swallowed before invoking the person’s name.

 

Nanao.

 

 

The boy gave me a sad smile, holding my cheek.

 

“The truth is, Julio… The Rose Princess doesn’t exist.”

“Eh..?”

“She was a figmentation made by the Council of Roses. The true Rose Princess has been dead for 10 years. My father told me this before I started my trials because he believed I would be the Rose King.”

“Then, why are you dressed like that..?” I ask once again, utterly confused. “Why do you wear the Rose Princess’ dress?”

After that, Nanao’s smile lit up. “It’s simple… I want to be the Rose Princess.”

“But, you’re a boy.”

“That shouldn’t matter! I was never meant to be a knight or a king. I always knew, deep in my heart, I was born to be a princess.” He twirled in the gown of roses. “Don’t you think this suits me far better, Julio?”

 

I felt my lips curve in a smile. “You do look beautiful…”

“This is how the Council passes off the illusion. They use me as the Rose Princess so no one grows suspicious.”

Then, I frown. How cruel they are… In order to uphold this illusion, they have my friend pretend to be someone who is no longer living.

 

“Nanao… are you really happy like this?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Even if you do those things for the Council, you aren’t truly the Rose Princess. You are just playing pretend; a scapegoat. You should be allowed to freely express who you are.”

 

“But, that’s not what the Rose Princess does,” Nanao looks at me, saddened. “The Rose Princess must obey the will of the one they are engaged to. And the will of the Council is--”

“That shouldn’t matter,” I spoke firmly, grabbing his shoulders.

“Julio..?”

“Not me nor the Council or anyone should decide what you want for you. You must make that decision yourself. If you truly want to be the Rose Princess, then you should be so and act the same way you always have. You should have your own wishes and desires.”

“I…” I saw a glimmer in his eyes, his copper irises reflecting the light from the stained glass window.

“These trials are chains that bind us down; the laws of the Council control our lives and our freedom. That is not the way. We should both be free.”

“Free…”

“Free to become what we are. Free to make our own decisions.”

“I want that…” Nanao smiled. “I want to be free!”

“Then, let’s leave this place. Let’s go somewhere that the Council cannot interfere with our freedom. To a place we’re free.”

….

 

 

“Where is the Rose Princess?!”

“Find them!”

“They are traitors! Rebels!”

“How dare they go against the Law of Versailles!”

“The Saint of Roses shall punish them!”

“Find the traitors and punish them!!!”

Rescue the Princess!

Kill the traitor knight!

 

Glory to Versailles!!!

 

….

 

“Sakura, I’m sorry. By the time you read this, I will no longer be in the White Rose Kingdom. Don’t come for me. I will be somewhere far, far away.

 

However, I want to leave you with this final request. You must become the Rose Princess and revolutionize the seven kingdoms. Liberate all the people from the laws of Versailles.

 

And never forget, your opinion matters. Be free to speak your mind.

 

You will always be my beloved, adorable little sister.

 

-Julio”

 

….

 

“We’ve become outlaws…”

 

“Yes,” I smirked.

 

“This may cause a war.”

 

I shook my head as we rode across the barren horizon of Nowhere.

 

“I trust Sakura will change everything…”

Nanao embraced my waist. “At least we’ll be free. We’ll both be somewhere the conflict cannot reach…”

The outside walls of the garden know nothing of the truth. It is a bird cage covered by a veil of glamour. They may search every kingdom but never find us.

Because we have gone beyond the wall of Versailles. We are somewhere they cannot reach.

We are free from the trials. We are free from the council. We are free from the trials.

 

We are free of it all. To choose our destiny. And…

 

“Julio… thank you for freeing me,” Nanao smiled as we leaned in for a kiss.


We are free to love.