Chapter 1 - The Task

You and Me : The life of an Executive

Kim Won walked into his father's study, just knowing that his father had a task for him. His father had mentioned it a while back and more recently, said that it was the last order of business he was giving to Won before taking his hands off the company for good. 

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. "Won ah! Come in." His father said. It was still weird the way his father had suddenly started talking so lovingly. And also, it was a surprise that a few months back, his father had started to accept his brother and Eun Sang's relationship. Tan was even allowed to come home. 

He pushed the door open nervously. "Abuji... You wanted to see me?" He said. His father was sitting behind the luxurious desk, holding a handkerchief to his mouth. "Oh, yes. There's something I want to talk to you about." Kim Nam Yun said to his son, smiling. Meanwhile, Won was feeling uneasy. He wasn't really used to the genuinely nice side of his father. "Sit down. Let's talk about the task I have been talking about." Feeling curious, Won did as he was told. 

"What kind of task is it abuji?" He asked, too eager. "It's something new. Something we've never done before." Kim Nam Yun said. Won was intrigued. What have they never done before? They have done everything from shopping malls to resorts. "This usually falls under MEGA entertainment's division, but... for this one time, we need to do this, we want to do this." He said. We do? Kim Won thought to himself. He never recalled agreeing to anything or hearing anything about the task. "As you know, once you accomplish this task, I'll take my hands off this company. It would be good if I could retire." Kim Nam Yun said. "Abuji, I don' t know what you're talking about." He said, staring at his father. 

"What I'm saying is, we're venturing someplace new. And the first step is a movie." Kim Nam Yun smiled knowingly. He had it all planned out. Even if the other doesn't like it, he was going to do this. "A movie?" Kim Won blinked at his father. Why would they fund a movie? It's true that it's something that MEGA entertainment would usually do, so why are they doing it? "Abuji, what about MEGA entertainment?" He asked. "They're also trying to get their hands on this movie. You know, since it's based on a very popular webtoon." Kim Nam Yun said. "Then, why?" Won still couldn't understand what his father was saying. 

"Won ah... I did a lot of wrong things in my life, for power, for dignity. But now I'm old and when I look back, I don't want it to be too late." Kim Nam Yun got up and walked towards the chair by the window. He barely sat himself down. "I used to have a best friend... When I was in elementary. Well, we were friends up until the end of the first year of highschool." Kim Nam Yun sat back, smiling to himself. 

Now Won was curious. He never knew his father had this side to him. His father continued when he kept quiet. "I have made so many mistakes towards this chinggu. I hope it's not too late to make it up to him. He refuses to see me even." Won thought he heard sadness in his father's words. "If he refuses, then the least I can do is make sure his daughter is doing well." Kim Name Yun turned to look at his son who was currently having a headache with all the information he was getting. 

Kim Nam Yun chuckled at his son's puzzled expression. "His daughter's name is Kim Soo Jin and coincidentally,  she's your chinggu." Kim Nam Yun smiled at the thought. "As expected, The two Kims would have their first child in the same year." He seemed to be getting flashbacks. "You know we used to get into a all kinds of trouble. Our teachers would go crazy whenever we were in their class." Kim Nam Yun was having a fun time remembering how he used to be so rebellious. At the same time, Won was having a mental breakdown. His father was doing all of this for a friend? And not for actual business? Since when? 

"So, will you do this?" Kim Nam Yun looked into his son's eyes. He knew Won would find it hard to do anything that wasn't good for the business. And this was a big risk, since they know nothing about the entertainment business. He was trying to see if his son was willing to do anything. He was desperate anyway to get the Kims back together.

Won was contemplating what he should do. He didn't know if his father was testing him or if it was just because his father was going crazy from all the stress, or if his father actually really meant it. But since he wanted it so bad, he said, "Alright. So, what is the name of the Company?" Won said. 

Kim Nam Yun was pleased. "Jung In Films. She took over the company from the last president when the company almost went bankrupt." Kim Nam Yun explained. "What?! The company almost went bankrupt?" His father can't be serious. Why make a deal with a company like that? "She re-built the company from the ground up. You have it easy, since you're inheriting this company. She had to make it on her own." Kim Nam Yun said and there was some distance in his voice, the way it always used to be. He looked down at his lap, and simply nodded. 

"I want you to make sure that the movie we're investing in is a success. Make sure you remember, this is also for our company." his father said. "Alright, abuji." He answered. "I've already made sure to show that we're interested. So, go, tomorrow." Kim Nam Yun said. 

He didn't know what all of this was about yet, why his father had to do this for a childhood friend. He'll just have to wait and see. Tomorrow he'll get to meet with Kim Soo Jin, the daughter of the other half of The Kims. "Kim Soo Jin..." He said, walking out of his father's study. "I have to work well with her for everything to be a success." He said, determined to make the movie a success.  

Ellie: long and full of info. Kim Nam Yun was so hard to write. More of Won in next chapter. Sorry this Internet connection and pc keeps on preventing me from updating. Will try my best. Until next time...