1. Woozi

Pink Prodigy

Jihoon- Woozi

 

Soonyoung- Hoshi

 

_________

 

 

Jihoon hovered over the “new” button with his cursor and pressed it quickly. Submit music. File: WooZi (remix of Jam Jam ft. S.Coups #1) He took a deep breath and hit enter, quickly checking the little box that allowed comments and downloads. He sat back in his chair and added a description to his music:

 

This time, I remixed an old one so you all don’t have to. Of course, it’s up to you if you want to remix a remix, but I thought I’d give you a little break. The old song wasn’t meant for dancing but I hope this new version will be used for exactly that purpose. I asked a friend if he would help out, many of you know him from following my blog but his name is S.Coups and he is a very talented rapper. Anyways, as always, please share and tell your friends (and also follow S.Coups’ music page as well.) Thanks everyone!

 

Jihoon took a deep breath, the familiar rush of excitement filled his chest, just like every other time he posted his music. He finally was able to relax as the screen turned bright and large words that read “submitting, submitting, submitting,” filled the screen. The music genius quickly turned the screen away from himself as the light was beginning to hurt his very sensitive, sleep deprived eyes.

 

He glanced at the clock and tilted his head, closing his eyes for a moment to let the bright green numbers: 3:12 AM engrave into his mind. He heaved a sigh then began to put away all of his music sheets and clean up the desk that he was currently sitting at.

 

30%, 45%, 60%...loading...

 

Jihoon quickly changed into his nightwear and glanced at the number of his followers that were currently online.

 

S.COUPS online

 

Jihoon grinned from ear to ear and quickly pressed on the little grey icon in the corner of his brightly lit screen.

 

“Hey, the song’s almost up. It’s taking forever to load...and thanks for helping me out, couldn’t have done it without you.” Jihoon pressed enter and his message popped up in a little chatbox and the word “read” appeared next to it.

 

75%, 80% loading...loading…

 

“Why did I get the feeling that you were online? Oh right because it’s 3 am and you don’t ever sleep. Anyway, I thought you were posting the song tomorrow night?” His reply came quickly. Jihoon read the message, smiling softly to himself.

 

90%, 95% loading...loading…

 

“I couldn’t sleep so I decided to work on it tonight and ended up working until it was finished.” Jihoon replied and stretched his arms above his head, a sluggish feeling began to spread through his limbs.

 

98% loading, 100% loaded. “JAM JAM ft. S. Coups 1ST Remix”- submitted.

 

“Ah, typical woozi, a true composer. Oh wait, the song’s up, I’m gonna listen to it. One moment!”

 

Jihoon felt his heart pumping in his chest as he typed a quick “ok” back to S.Coups and waited for his reply. While he was waiting he listened to the completed track himself and seen the number of “listens” rising rapidly. He suddenly remembered that a good number of his followers were students and were most likely doing homework or studying this late. Comment after comment began to pile up at the bottom of his music bar and he read through them quickly.

 

-Woozi, your music totally made me wake up thank you! I was just studying for a huge test and I need to stay awake. It’s perfect dance music.-

 

-Oh...should I have a party tomorrow just to play this song?-

 

-Woozi is always good. I like both versions now, nice!-

 

-Good job on this. S.Coups’ rap really completes it!-

 

-Oh, I didn’t know Woozi and S.Coups knew each other? I guess I need to pay closer attention. Anyways, good luck with both of your music I love it. It’s keeping me awake. Now I don’t think I can sleep anymore!-

 

-Put Woozi and S.Coups together and they really will make the best music. Please work together more often. Even though the song is recycled it still sounds like completely different music and it makes me want to dance all night.-

 

Jihoon smiled at the few comments that were posted and then he was startled by the little chime that signaled a new message. He opened up the chatbox again and read a message from S.Coups.

 

“Wooz, I’m never disappointed with you. Seriously, is there anything you can’t do?” Jihoon grinned happily and continued reading, “The song is really amazing, all your lost sleep paid off. I think we make a pretty good duo?”

 

Jihoon laughed a little in embarrassment, “Of course we do. Anyways, I’m going to sleep now and you should too.”

 

“I know, I know. Get some rest, remember, you have that huge test tomorrow.” Coups mentioned and Jihoon suddenly paled at the mention of the test that was tomorrow. The huge test. The one he completely forgot to study for.

 

“Oh no.” He typed back and then S.Coups replied with ten laughing emoji’s.

 

“Don’t tell me you forgot.” Jihoon could practically hear the laughing tone through the words that Coups wrote.

 

“I did.”

 

“Well go study, you still have time. I’ll keep you company. Log in to my music bar and I’ll play some tracks for you while you study.”

 

“Okay :( and I was just gonna sleep too.”

 

“Yeah yeah. Go log in, I’ll play your favorites.”

 

Jihoon logged in to Coups’ music room and their screens connected to one anothers, he observed Coups’ cursor fly across the screen to play a few songs. Jihoon made sure that his cam was disabled just like he always did and Coups’ webcam was never connected so he didn’t worry about that. The music rooms were usually used for collaborations but it also served this purpose as well.

 

The first song that Coups chose was one of his own songs called “Ah Yeah.” Jihoon smirked inwardly at the music choice. Coups really liked to show off when he got the chance. He watched as his friends’ cursor slid the little volume button up a little and Jihoon quickly plugged in his headphones so that his parents and sister wouldn’t be disturbed. He pulled open his book bag that was next to his desk and took out a few books. He immediately began making notes. He heard a little chime and glanced up at the screen.

 

“Study time, now try not to get distracted by my y voice okay?” Coups typed and added a few laughing emoji’s behind his message and Jihoon sighed heavily, shaking his head.

 

“If anything, your voice will give me a headache.” Jihoon joked back and then suddenly listened closely to his friends’ track. He quickly typed away at his keyboard, “By the way, who was rapping that verse that just came up?”

 

“First of all, I’m a little offended but yeah, that’s my friend. He goes to school with me, I think I told you about him a few times.”

 

“Oh yeah, got it. Now stop talking to me, I gotta study.” Jihoon’s slender fingers flew across the keyboard in record time, pressing enter as he immediately averted his eyes to one of his textbooks.

 

“Sorry! Next song!” Coups’ typed and then his cursor flew across the screen again to press on another song. This time one that Jihoon didn’t recognize, it had a softer melody. Jihoon continued to study for an hour while Coups gave him messages here and there and played his music while time dragged on.

 

When Jihoon finally finished up his study time he glanced at the clock and noticed it was nearing 4:30 AM. He packed up his stuff and waited for Coups to play another song when he messaged him back.

 

“I’m finished with studying. I think this whole time was just an excuse for you to play me all of your songs.”

 

“Oh no, how could you see right through me like that? Truth exposed!” Coups paused the music through his screen and Jihoon smiled softly, glad that Coups would stay up this whole time to keep him company. “I guess the party’s over. What a shame.”

 

“Thanks for keeping me company. I would have failed tomorrow if I didn’t study.” Jihoon mentioned.

 

“I’m sure you would have passed anyways. Well, I have school tomorrow too, so let’s both go to sleep!” Coups exited out of his music bar and his screen was disconnected so that Jihoon couldn’t see his cursor anymore.

 

Jihoon also closed out of his friend’s music bar and then entered the chatbox again so he could finish up their conversation. “Okay, goodnight Coups and thanks again.”

 

“Don’t mention it! Have a good day tomorrow.”

 

“You too.” Jihoon typed out his simple goodbye and then checked his blog and music board for anything new.

 

WooZi just finished a music sharing bar with S.COUPS.

 

Jihoon continued to scroll through his feed and then rolled his eyes when he seen Coups had shared their new remix to his own wall and added a heart emoji next to it.

 

He logged out of his account and then collapsed on to his bed, hoping that he could get at least 2 hours of sleep before he had to get up to go to school.

 

_____



 

Unfortunately for Jihoon, he didn’t get much sleep that night. A hurried knock came on his door at 5 am and his mother came running in. She was holding a bloodied cloth in her hands and she rushed him out of bed and into his sister’s room.

 

“Jihoon, stay with your sister while I call for an ambulance.” Jihoon’s heart wasn’t beating as fast as it would have had this been a first time. In fact, this had happened far more often than he could count and was probably the third time it occured this month. Jihoon learned to keep himself calm. He watched as his mother ran down the hallway and into the front room. Jihoon sat next to his quiet sister, little tear droplets were gathering at the corner of her eyes.

 

“Try not to swallow the blood.” Jihoon whispered softly and tilted his sister’s head down and into a little bowl that was sitting in front of her. Jihoon took the bloodied cloth that his mother handed to him and wiped the corners of . He made sure to keep his hands steady. The first time this had happened his hands were shaking so badly that he panicked his sister.

 

“Water please.” She choked out and Jihoon furrowed his eyebrows, gently rubbing her back.

 

“Don’t talk okay? We’ll get you water after the ambulance gets here.” He continued to wipe as a mixture of blood and saliva was coughed up. His sister looked up in to his eyes and she immediately nodded her head. “Be strong, okay? This won’t last very long.”

 

They waited there together for ten minutes, his sister coughing up blood in violent fits. All traces of sleep were gone from Jihoon’s mind already. Finally, the paramedics came inside and ushered his sister onto a stretcher and took her out to the ambulance where his mother had climbed in. Jihoon watched, worried as they sped off into the early morning light.

 

“Jihoon, go get ready for school.” His father’s low voice had echoed from the porch of their small house. He turned back into the house and followed his dad’s wishes. He noticed that his father’s eyes were slightly red, and he was still dressed in his sleepwear.

 

“Contact the school if anything serious happens.” Jihoon said quietly and then quickly turned to enter into his room to wash up for the day. However before he even got two steps his father stopped him.

 

“Don’t forget, Jihoon. We need to have a talk once you get home from school today. Don’t sneak off.”

 

Jihoon nodded at his father’s cold tone. He entered his room and took a deep breath. It took him about 30 minutes to finally be ready, as he kept dozing off. He began his walk to school, and noticed quickly that everything seemed rather dull. He couldn’t stop the worried ebb that prodded at his chest. He felt guilty, sad, and hurt all at once. The cause mainly being his sister.

 

Jihoon pulled his coat tighter around his body and suddenly remembered that his sister’s sickness had always worsened in autumn and winter. It was the beginning of October, so that’s why there had been so much blood this time. Jihoon shook his head to get the mental image out of his mind. The cold morning air bit at his face and he suddenly felt way too tired to even go through with the day at all.

 

_____


 

It was a normal day at his school. Everyone ignored him, but one or two times throughout the day he heard his song that he posted being played on a few kids’ phones. He felt a surge of happiness go through him but when those same people walked right past him, bumping into him like he was nothing, well- it deflated his ego right back down to zero. He took the big test at the end of the day, and his teacher graded it right in front of everyone like he always did. A perfect score. His teacher smiled brightly at him. It was always the same thing.

 

It took him a very long time to realize what everything meant. Two years of time to be exact. When he was 12 his parents took him to a musical competition for young kids. He wrote his own lyrics, played the piano to his own melody, and won the competition by his own talents. The following year, he entered into a prestigious high school and suffered through the bullying because it was what he thought he wanted. He believed that the path he was on would take him to the sky and further.

 

But Jihoon was wrong.

 

After school hours he headed to the nearby dance academy where he would follow the dance instructor’s movements, and for once, he didn’t mind getting told what to do or where to move. He just danced. He came home every day after school completely tired and eventually he began to neglect his musical studies.

 

“If you hadn’t been born a genius, you know I wouldn’t allow you to pursue the arts. It’s only because that’s what you are: a prodigy. My beautiful prodigy.”

 

Jihoon’s mom recited various versions of that exact sentence day after day. She only began to tell him that because she figured out what he had been doing after school. Jihoon continued to rebel against his parents’ wishes and his status in the school plummeted. He graduated his first year of high school at the bottom of his class and his parents were furious. He was kicked out of that school and sent to a slightly less renowned one.

 

It was around this time that Jihoon’s sister got sick, and a guilty feeling overwhelmed him. He felt this way because his parents were busy paying hospital bills, and taking care of his sister while he slacked off on his school work, only caring about what was convenient for himself. Soon enough, motivated by guilt, Jihoon began to practice again and focused on his studies. He wrote songs, practiced the piano, practiced singing and music. He even submitted a few of his work into competitions and was known once again as “Lyrical Genius,” and “Little Prodigy.” Those were all names that he could not stand. On weekends, Jihoon often snuck off to the nearby dance academy to watch the older teens practice. He loved to watch his previous instructor, Hoshi, dance. It was always fun to watch the new choreography that he thought up. That was the closest he could get.

 

One lonely night, Jihoon was up at 3 am, watching dance videos, when an ad popped up for a website. It was a new and rather popular music sharing site. Jihoon took it as a sign to start controlling an aspect of his life. He signed up under the name WooZi, and it stuck ever since. Sooner than not his songs had begun to circulate onto popular music sharing blogs. A little bit after that, Jihoon went back to watch more videos when he stumbled upon a dance academy who was using a remix of one of his songs. He quickly scrolled down to the comments section and over half of them had asked what song they had used. He immediately felt pride swell inside of his chest and for some reason he couldn’t stop his smile for the rest of the day.

 

Jihoon could clearly remember the day online when he had gained over 300 followers overnight. It was incredible and he had never once felt such a wave of happiness flow over himself. He felt like people finally liked his music because they wanted to, not because of who he was.

 

_____

 

Jihoon walked down the school halls to head home when he seen his former dance instructor run straight for him.

 

“Ji!” He yelled and Jihoon had a sudden urge to turn and walk in the opposite direction. He didn’t have the energy to deal with Hoshi at the moment, he just wanted to go home, make sure his sister was okay, and sleep. “Hey!” He stopped right in front of him.

 

Jihoon glanced down at Hoshi’s attire and took in the expensive coat and shoes he was wearing. It was clear that Hoshi was in a higher social class than he was, and they were the same age. Jihoon admitted to himself that he was jealous of Hoshi. He got to teach a dance group at his family's academy, and he also had a good reputation.

 

“Hi.” He replied. Hoshi immediately frowned.

 

“What’s wrong? Did you fail the test!? Oh, I knew it, you didn’t study!”

 

“I didn’t fail, Soonyoung.”

 

“What? Then...oh! I know! You’re sad because I haven’t mentioned your new song yet? Well, if you wanna be praised that badly, I stayed up until 5 am trying to come up with choreography for your new remix!” Hoshi grabbed Jihoon’s shoulders and shook him back and forth excitedly. “I decided to use it for our competition next weekend.”

 

“That’s not...I….Okay. That’s great, thanks Hoshi. But, I really need to get home.”

 

“Okay, I get it. Bye, Mr. Woozi!” Hoshi half whisper-yelled and ran off to bother someone else while Jihoon checked to see if anyone nearby was listening. He shook his head and then he quickly made his way off school grounds. He wondered why he even decided to tell Hoshi that he was Woozi. All he got from that confession was regret. Although, he was still relieved that at least Hoshi, his popular dance instructor, knew about it. It was a secret that he would like to keep hidden for as long as possible.

 

Hoshi was a good distraction because, for a moment, Jihoon had completely forgot about the little talk that his parents had waiting for him when he got home. A surge of panic rushed through him and he slowed his steps down. He could at least stall for a little bit longer. He came up with many topics that they could possibly talk to him about, and then he wondered if he did something wrong. Well, that would be 100% correct. He had been doing everything wrong. Last night was proof. He disregarded his work for something else, and he lost sleep because of it, and oh...everything was a huge mess.

 

Jihoon cringed as he walked up to his little pale blue house and opened the door, it was completely quiet and Jihoon cautiously looked around.

 

“Jihoon? Honey, come in here please.” His mother’s voice called out and Jihoon’s heartbeat sped up as he closed the door behind him and made his way into the next room. He seen both his parents sitting there, drinking some kind of tea. Jihoon set his bag down, and ran a hand through his pink hair. His mother motioned to the little couch in front of her as his father was silent next to her. Jihoon sat down and both of his parents cleared their throats at the same time.

 

.

 

“Jihoon. We...wanted to discuss something with you.” His mother sat up straight and narrowed her eyes at her son. Jihoon nodded, and motioned for her to go on. “Your father and I, have been discussing something…” She glanced at her husband out of the corner of her eye and Jihoon forced his eyes to stay on his mother, much too frightened to look at his father. “We got a letter from a boarding school. It’s uh-...well...to put it simply, they want you to enroll there for the rest of this year and next year.”

 

“Okay…” Jihoon said slowly, and he watched as his father sat up from his seat, clearing his throat once again to prepare himself for what he was about to say next.

 

“We enrolled you in that boarding school. You’ll be attending starting next week.”

 

It was completely silent as Jihoon let everything sink in. His mother seen him freeze and she jumped in to bring him back to reality. “Listen Jihoon, can’t afford your current school anymore…all the hospital bills and- Ji, this boarding school wants you, and they’re willing to pay your way if you’ll attend and maintain your rank. It’s a good school honey, you’ll like it.”

 

“How long have you guys been talking about this? Boarding school? I...you guys are sending me away?”

 

“Honey we-”

 

“Yes.” Jihoon’s father interrupted and Jihoon froze up yet again at hearing his father’s voice. “We have given you so much Jihoon. You’ve changed schools once before, and it was because of your own mistakes. Don’t make this harder than it has to be. This time an elite school wants you because of your talents, consider this an honor. Don’t disappoint us again.”

 

“What if something happens to Minseo?” Jihoon asked abruptly and forced himself not to cry in front of his parents. His mother and father glanced at each other, knowing that his sister was often in a fragile state.


“If something happens we will come and get you as soon as we can. But, you need to focus on this right now. We need you to do this for us Jihoon, okay?” His mother asked and Jihoon turned his face away but nodded. He didn’t even want to ask where it was that they were sending him. “Now, go get some rest Jihoon, you look worn out. It’s been a long day. Min is resting in her room, she’s okay, so don’t disturb her until morning.” His mother informed him and Jihoon nodded, a heavy weight lifted off of his shoulders for the time being. He glanced at his dad once, but his eyes were casted off in a different direction. Jihoon headed upstairs, and didn’t even think. He just wanted to sleep.

 

 

_____