Chapter 1

No One Said it Would be Easy

            It was the incessant ringing of his alarm clock that woke Yutaka. The day he’d been dreading had arrived. It was his first day of school since moving to Tokyo. He’d grown up in a small town not far from the city, but there had been companies who had to lay off employees, his parents included. It had been something he’d been raised prepared for, but he’d hoped it wouldn’t happen until after he moved out since nothing had changed since he’d been born. Three more years was all he needed, but the economy wasn’t on his side. At least his family had just moved to Tokyo, so he was only fifteen hours away from his old friends. Then again, he was fifteen hours away from everything he’d ever known. He just wanted to hide under the covers, go back to sleep, and pretend this was all a dream. Maybe he would do just that. It would be so easy to…

 

            “Yutaka! Get up! We’re about to have breakfast!”

 

            His mother apparently didn’t understand how he felt… That was going to complicate things. Both of his parents had been well respected in their old town, and it hadn’t taken much time for the two doctors to find jobs in Tokyo. The only problem was that their son wasn’t going to work. Oh no, he was going to hell or, as most people knew it, high school. Today was the first day of his sophomore year of high school, and he was afraid to even get out of bed because that would put him one step closer to being in a new school where he knew no one and would probably be hated by most of the students. That was what had happened when his parents had attempted to move him to a different middle school three years ago, and he’d made them promise not to do it again. Sadly, the time came when it wasn’t up to them. They’d had to move, and because of that, Yutaka had to go to a new school.

 

            “Yutaka!” His mother sounded angry. Perhaps it was time to actually get up and ready for the day.

 

            “I’ll be down there in ten minutes mom!” He pulled himself out of bed, quickly stripping and walking into his bathroom where he took a quick shower. When he was done, he got dressed and went down stairs, arriving in the dining room exactly ten minutes after he’d called down to his mother. He ate with his parents, discussing the morning’s news, before getting his messenger bag and heading off to school.