SIXTH

Rules & Regulations

"So our faculty has enough budget to send the First Years for an educational trip to Paris." Mr. Byun's voice seems to have amplified because everyone in the class is now paying attention. He seems amused by the attention, but he continues, "Of course, the school will pay partially for this trip, however, you will still need to fork in the remaining amount. This trip will be held during the first week of your winter break, so if you're keen, please come see me after class." He nods, thinking that he's done with the announcement as he walks back to his computer. But he stops and turns, "Oh and, I can only choose one person from this class. So, good luck." 

You glance around the room and notice the wishful expressions on some faces. They're people who are aiming to major in Architecture, people who aren't doing this just because their parents forced them to. They deserve this more than you do. So what if Mr. Byun thinks you should go so you can learn better? Isn't this some kind of favouritism; approaching you before announcing it to the class? Of course, it isn't the case, since everyone knows how much Mr. Byun doesn't like you. But say if you do turn up at the end of the class, Mr. Byun would choose you because he already said he would. Isn't that unfair to the rest of your classmates? 

You sigh and finally decide on not going. Besides, it isn't just your teacher who thinks you're incompetent. You have no friends in this class for a reason. These people have seen your work and grades. They know how useless you are in this field of study. They don't even see you as competition. If they know that you're vying to go to Paris as well, they would think you're just applying to go so you can have fun. And you definitely don't need that kind of unfair judgement made towards you.

Right before class ends, Mr. Byun reminds the class that the next lesson will be the last lesson before the exam. After that, you will have a week to study before you have to sit for your final exams for this semester. Once he releases the class, you leave whereas almost half the class stays back. Mr. Byun doesn't see you go, since he's surrounded by the students. You find Sehun and the both of you return home quickly. After all, you need to study. 

Despite the one week to study for the exams, it's still not enough for you. You're doing a double degree, which means you need to study double the amount of a normal First Year student. Sehun only has four subjects to study for, but you have six. There are two other subjects you're taking that adds the subjects you're taking in total up to eight. But the final exams for these two subjects are assignment-based, which you have already more or less finished. 

You're back to studying after dinner with your parents. Knowing that doing two degrees at the same time is a tough feat, your parents no longer make you do chores. And now that exams are fast approaching, your father doesn't force you to help him out in his workshop anymore. You're doing your notes for biology when your phone rings all of a sudden in the silence of your room, making you jump out of your skin.

With a hand on your heart, you quickly pick up your phone and answer the call without taking a look at the caller ID. You just want the thing to shut up. "Hello?" You say into the phone as you continue writing notes.

"It's Mr. Byun." 

Your hand freezes. Just before the ink of your pen bleeds through the paper, you set the stationery down. You murmur, "Yeah?" 

"I just compiled the names for those who are interested in going to Paris and I realised your name isn't here." Mr. Byun sniffs and you wonder if the weather is cold for him too because Sehun absolutely loves the temperature now. Your teacher clears his throat, "And I only just realised that you weren't there at the end of class... You don't want to go to Paris?"

"I do," you affirm. "But I'm not sure if I'm the best candidate... Everyone else wants to go and they'll probably know more than I do when I get there."

Mr. Byun is silent for a bit, as if thinking of what to say. Then he sighs. "This is an educational trip. Everyone will be learning. And even better for you that you don't know anything. You'll be going there and coming back with more knowledge than you did." You contemplate his words and doodle on your paper. "I still don't know why you're doing this major, but as your teacher, I want the best for my students. Your classmates are already good at this subject, but you..."

"Not really?" You suggest uncertainly. 

He laughs softly and you're surprised at how soothing and nice it is to hear that. Because Sehun sounds like he wants to burst your eardrums whenever he laughs into the phone. Mr. Byun agrees, "Yeah, not really. And this trip will really help you, if you're open to learning." When you don't reply, he relents. "Okay, I'll give you some time to think about this. But tell me by next lesson, so I can choose who to go. Okay?" 

"Okay. Thank you, Mr. Byun." 

"No problem. See you next lesson." 

And that was that. 

You try to go back to studying, but you realise that you can't concentrate because your mind is on what Mr. Byun had said. Yeah, so what if your classmates think you're stupid? People can change as long as they seek help, right? But then again, how much will you know when you go there? Compared to the other students who will be going, your knowledge of architecture will perhaps be like their knowledge of science.

You're stupid in their eyes, they're stupid in your eyes. Doesn't that make all of you equals, then?

Sehun and you are studying together in your room on a Sunday. Tomorrow will be the start of the last week before all of you have to prepare full-time for your exams. You find that whenever you're distracted, you keep thinking about the trip to Paris. And every time you think about it, your decision always changes. 

You glance at Sehun, who is calculating an equation on his calculator. Since he's here, why not ask him for his opinion?

"Hey, Sehun."

"Hmm?" He hums, tilting his head in your direction though his eyes are still on his calculator.

"You know that Paris trip Mr. Byun talked to me about?" Upon hearing the teacher's name, Sehun looks up at you. You clear your throat and sit up now that you have his attention. "Half of my class wants to go... But Mr. Byun's giving me priority. Do you think I should go?"

"Do you want to go? When will it be, anyway?"

"The first week of winter break." You sigh, "But I feel like I don't deserve it, you know? I don't know anything about the buildings in Paris. All I know is shopping... I'm basically an airhead." You give a bitter laugh. "I shouldn't go, right?" 

"Hey, don't say that. You're my best friend. Of course you deserve it," Sehun argues. "You deserve everything, okay? And you're not an airhead. You're taking a double major and you're not failing. You call yourself an airhead? Then what am I? A nohead?" You laugh at his cold joke. Sehun's lips tilts into a small smile when he sees you laughing. "You can go there to learn and to shop," he shrugs. "That's killing two birds with one stone. Heard of that expression, airhead?"

You roll your eyes as you push his arm. You're still laughing when you nod, "Thanks, nohead."

Sehun grins. "Besides, that douchebag teacher won't be going either. So that's another reason you should go!" 

"That douchebag teacher is the one who's giving me the priority to go for this trip, Sehun." 

"Whatever. He's still a bastard."

"You know..." You suddenly think of the reason why Mr. Byun might have mistaken you for being attached to this idiot. "Maybe it's because of how protective you are over me that makes Mr. Byun think we're a couple."

"Good," he huffs. "Don't you know that girls with protective brothers always end up with the best kind of guys?"

"You're not my brother though," you point out. 

"Brother, best friend," he blows a raspberry. "Same thing." 

"I also didn't know that's true."

"I take back my words, you're an airhead."

The next people you ask are your parents. They wholeheartedly support you in going, since it is for educational purposes. So without thinking about it some more, you call up Mr. Byun's number, hoping that he had been using his personal number when he called you and not some random dude's phone. 

"Mr. Byun...?" 

You hear heavy breathing and you're close to ending the call when the owner of the phone swallows his breath and speaks, "What's up?" You had never been more relieved to hear his voice. You had almost thought this was the number of some kind of maniac. Mr. Byun's breaths are short when he explains, "Sorry, you caught me in the middle of a work out. So what is it that can't wait until our next lesson?"

"Ah, the..." You don't even know why you're stuttering like this. Are you giving this second thoughts again? No. "About the trip to Paris..." 

"You've thought about it?" Mr. Byun asks. You can clearly hear the sound of him gulping down water.

"Yeah," you nod, before remembering that he can't see you. You murmur, "I want to go." 

"You're sure about that?" 

"Yes." 

"Awesome," he mumbles. "I'll send your name to my subject head. And come see me tomorrow after your lessons so I can explain the trip to you."

"I end late tomorrow..."

"That's okay, I'll wait up. See you." 

You don't even feel your heart thumping until you put down the phone. You're going to Paris!

After all your classes the next day, which happens to be 8PM, you go over to look for Mr. Byun. Sehun would normally be going home with you, but you don't want to trouble him now, especially since exams are fast approaching. You knock on the door of the room before opening the door. This room is big for all the student teachers to share. You're not sure what to call it. A lounge? But they're all working, not lounging. Maybe an office? 

Whatever it is, this place is empty except for a man at the back of the room. He sees you, but doesn't greet you. You walk over to the teacher and you see that he already has a chair next to his table for you to sit. You do and Mr. Byun finishes up typing on the computer and saving his work.

As he looks for some documents, he mutters, "Do you always end this late?" 

"Only on Mondays and Wednesdays." 

"I'd be damn glad that I'm done with this semester, if I were you." He finally finds what he's looking for and places the papers in front of you. Now he chooses a pen from his stationery holder. 

"I still have 3 more years of this to go," you joke. "I'll be glad after I graduate uni."

Mr. Byun looks at you and you catch a pitiful expression in his eyes. But when he blinks, it's gone. He clears his throat before scooting his chair a little closer to you. 

"So here's the application form for the trip," he slides the paper towards you. "Your classmates have already completed them and I've already collated them. Usually the higher-ups would be the ones choosing the candidates. But since you're only First Years and there isn't much to deduce from your results, they're letting the teachers choose." 

You nod and he continues as he leisurely spins the pen in between his fingers, "There will be fourteen other students who will go with you. You'll only be gone for seven days and six nights. Your accommodation and meals are covered, as well as half of your plane ticket. You just have to pay for the other half of the ticket and extra allowance if you want to shop, or whatever you want to do with your money." He bites his lips as he wrecks his brain to remember what else he needs to inform you. "Oh and tell your parents not to worry because there will be five teachers who will serve as escorts. One of them will be the in-charge of this subject." 

Then Mr. Byun tilts his head at you. You blush because of how intense his gaze is, though you know that he's just thinking. He finally says, "I think that's it, really. Once I send in your name to the head, they'll e-mail you and more details will be sent to you then." 

"Okay," you bob your head. "So I just need to fill this form, right?" 

"Yup," Mr. Byun passes you the pen he had been playing with. 

As you fill in the blanks on the form, Mr. Byun turns off the desktop computer and packs up quietly. You look up at him and ask, "Do I include your name when they ask for which tutorial I'm in?"

"Oh, right. Yes," he confirms. "Byun Baekhyun." 

"Byun..." You write slowly so you don't make any mistakes. "B— Baekhyun as in Bae Kyun or Baek Hyun?" 

You lift your head and you feel your heart stop for a second, seeing how close Mr. Byun's face is to yours. He looks as shocked as you are, but he quickly blinks his confusion away. He starts spelling his name for you and you look down again to avoid looking at him. It doesn't help you feel any less nervous because Mr. Byun is watching you complete the form. You can even feel his breath on your forehead, that's how close he is. 

"I'm done!" You squeak, pushing the paper back to the teacher.

He nods, taking the paper and pen from you. He returns the pen to the holder and places the document neatly on his desk to give it to the tacher-in-charge tomorrow. Mr. Byun stands and you stare at him. 

"Don't you wanna go home?" You snap out of it and quickly stand. As you tuck in the chair, your teacher asks, "Is your boyfriend waiting for you? Or should I drive you home?" 

"It's okay, I'll get home on my own," you politely turn down the offer. You wrap your scarf tighter around your neck. 

"It's so dark, are you crazy?" Mr. Byun shakes his head as he locks the office. "I'll bring you home." 

"I'll—"

He raises an eyebrow at you, "Reject me again and I'll fail you." 

A smile creeps onto your lips, "Thank you, Mr. Byun."

"You know," he sniffs when you leave the building and enter the cold night. "You say 'thank you' a lot to me these days. Is it because it's the last week of the semester?"

You laugh, reminding him as you stuff your hands into your pockets, "You were mean to me before, Mr. Byun."

"I was trying to teach you a lesson," he rolls his eyes.

"By being mean to me and treating me like I'm invisible?" 

"Mmhmm. Look at you now. You're at least trying to do well!" This time, Mr. Byun's car is much closer and the both of you quickly enter the vehicle when he unclocks the car. "Ugh, can't believe it's only going to get colder." 

"I know," you groan as you buckle up. Mr. Byun quickly turns up the heater and puts his hand in front of the vent. He sighs in content. You smile because that would be something you would do if this isn't your teacher's car. You're concerned when you ask, "Are you sick, Mr. Byun?" 

"Huh?" He furrows his eyebrows at you. 

"You've been sniffing lately," you tell him, shrugging. "I just guessed. I don't know." 

"A little," he confesses. "Just from the temperature change. Happens all the time, no big deal." 

You nod and your teacher starts driving. There is no difference from the previous time you sat in Mr. Byun's car. You still have nothing to say to him and he still doesn't have anything to say to you either. The drive to your house is short and quiet, save for the calming music that escapes from the speakers. At least you don't feel as awkward anymore. Or maybe that's just because you're thinking about your exams and what's going to come after that. 

When Mr. Byun stops in front of your house, you open your mouth to thank him. But he stops you before you even say anything. "If you say 'thank you' again, I'll ask for you to pay for the petrol." 

You laugh and tease, "I always knew you were a gentleman who would make girls pay for your petrol. Good night, Mr. Byun." 

"Good luck for your finals," he wishes you when you open the door. You turn to face him again and his voice harmonises so well with the classical music playing in his car when he murmurs, "And good night."


Author's note:

Always fun to update this fic! Maybe because it's just the start haha. Upvote if you think this story deserves it and subscribe if you want to read more! And feel free to spazz and flood my comments because I love reading my readers' spazzes and thoughts!!

Anyway, I've created some new stories, check them out if you want to! ^-^

  1. Baekhyun one shot: That XX
  2. Sehun one shot [M]: Train Hard
  3. Kai short story: The Heat

Oh, and also! Follow my twitter account solely for my fics: @vanillasushi_xo. We can talk there, or you can even spazz to me there! I post updates and occasionally when I'm in the mood for it, I write mini shots there!

till next time
xoxo