The boys are back in town (1/2)

LAST PROMISE

“Suho!?” Baekhyun screams through the phone, and hears Suho chuckle. “Baekhyun? Byun Baekhyun?” he yells, as he couldnt believe he was hearing the voice of his old friend. “yes its me, Suho”

 

Suho couldnt take the smile out of his mouth, it was good to hear Baekhyun’s voice again. It takes him back to high school, the good years. “how you been?!” “i have cancer” Baekhyun’s says, “stop playing Baekhyun!” Suho gives a nervous laugh.

 

“im not. thats one of the reasons why I'm calling you. Remember that trip we all planned when we were in high school?” Suho nods. “lets take it. i want to see you guys one more time, before i die” Baekhyun’s voice was so calm.

 

Like talking about cancer, wasn't something so serious. “…..” it was for Suho anyway. “Suho?” Suho cleans his throat. “uhm…sure i think i can ask the principle for some days off” “your a teacher?!?”

 

Suho looks around his classroom, he totally forgot he was still in the middle of a lesson. “ahh…yes. third grade teacher” Baekhyun smiles, “im so happy for you” Suho begins to feel uncontrollable.

 

“anyway…are you going to call the others?”

 

“yeah”

 

“even Sehun?”

 

Baekhyun knows the hardest one would be Sehun. After all the damage Baekhyun made to Sehun, it wont be easy. But he does hope Sehun would come. As a last wish at least. “of course!!”

 

“well good luck”

 

“i see you in two days Suho”

 

Suho smiles, “see you” and they both hang up. 

 

There was different versions of why Baekhyun left school. One of them was because he went to the U.S to become a singer. The second one was because his parents arranged a marriage with the son of a very high politician.

 

Baekhyun wished it was the first story.

 

 

Baekhyun dials a number he literally had to buy. Thats how popular Kyungsoo is. And Baekhyun is very proud of him. All Kyungsoo ever talked about was becoming a singer. Some dreams do come true.

 

“hello?” Kyungsoo answers politely in case it was one of his new producers. Thats why he couldnt recognize the number.

 

“KYUNGSOOOOOO!!!” Baekhyun yells through the phone, and Kyungsoo gets chills. He thought, he would never hear someone call him the same way Baekhyun used called him. “Ba——Baekhyun?”

 

“yes dummy!”

 

“how did you get my number?”

 

“oh some sasaeng fan sold it to me. By the way, you have a lot of them…”

 

Kyungsoo sighs, Baekhyun only knows half of the story. “anyway, how you been Baek?” “are you sitting down? i need to tell you something?”

 

“if your here to tell me your getting married, congratulations but i dont think i can attend your wedding, or sing”

 

Baekhyun smiles.

 

“no, i have cancer Kyungsoo. And im in the final stages…”

 

Kyungsoo didn't know what to say. All he could think of was, it fit to his time line of leaving high school. And never hearing from him. “w——what?” “so are going to join us?” Kyungsoo bites his lip, he hated when Baekhyun would just say something sad, then changed the subject.

 

Kyungsoo wanted answers, want it to know if theres something he could have done. Or if he could do something for his friend. But he knows it wasn't the time. He was in a private plane to China.

 

To do a performance. He didn't need sad thoughts. “what are you talking about?” “Suho and me are doing our trip” The trip. He hasn't thought about it since high school. “just you two?” “well everyone”

 

“every.one? Sehun too?”

 

“sure!”

 

“as much as i want to play with you Baekhyun, i have to do a performance in less than four hours. I cant go” Kyungsoo gets ready to hang up, when he hears Baekhyun yell something. “i see you in two days”

 

And Baekhyun is the one who hangs up.

 

“okay guys this is the map” Kyungsoo puts it in one of the many tables in the cafeteria. “it would take us, around three days if Suho drives fast to get there” he continues. “nah, lets not drive fast, the fun part is the road” Baekhyun smacks Kyungsoo in the shoulder.

 

Making the latter roll his eyes. “yeah, plus we might not know what we might find in the road” Sehun puts his arm around Baekhyun, pulling him towards himself. “oh yes, i read this before. This is exactly what a person said before they picked up a hitchhiker, and got killed!” Jongin yells at Sehun.

 

But it just makes everyone laugh. “well i promise you Jongin, we wont pick anyone up!” Suho pinches Jongin’s cheek, and everyone just cracks up.

 

“yes, this is Airman first class Kim Jongin talking”

 

“airman? since when?” Baekhyun chuckles.

 

Jongin raises his eyebrow, “excuse me?”

 

“you dont recognize my voice? its me Baekhyun” Jongin makes an ‘o’ shape with his lips, “oh my god! i never thought i would hear your voice again! how you been?”

 

“well, i have cancer”

 

“yeah right” Jongin says sarcastic. “no, im serious. in fact im calling you cause im bringing the boys back. For our trip, remember. the one we promised to do” “is….is everyone in?” Baekhyun nods, “yeah”

 

“well, im in. It be nice to see you guys before i get transfer.”

 

“where your going?”

 

“Iraq, im a pilot.” Jongin sighs, “i cant really go in full detail” Baekhyun nods, “right, right. Well i see you in two days” the young pilot smiles, “sure. Oh is Sehun coming?” Baekhyun couldnt lie to Jongin. The second youngest of the group.

 

“i dont know”

 

“he’ll come. you know that right?”

 

Baekhyun want it to believe that. At least one more time, before his life ends. “yeah”

 

“well, i see you in two days BaekBaek”

 

Baekhyun chuckles, “yes, nini”

 

 

“look Baekhyun, thats the new kid” Kyungsoo stops for a moment as he walks in the hallway with his best friend Baekhyun. Baekhyun stops looking at Kyungsoo, and turns to where his best friend is pointing.

 

The handsome tall boy with the mysterious look passes by them. With his chin all raise up, not caring about anyone in the world. And just like a wave it hits Baekhyun. It was like somehow he want it to be attach to that boy, and never let him go. “im going to date him” Baekhyun continues to look at the boy. Kyungsoo chuckles, “yeah right. You dont even know if he likes boys”

 

“thats my thing Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun looks back at his best friend, “im everyone’s type.”

 

Baekhyun stares at the phone number, thats laying on his desk. The numbers burn his eyes, and he doesn't know what to do. Its like everything burns, but he doesn't stop the fire. He just waits for the flames.

 

How was he going to ask Sehun to come, and see him after so many years? with no phone calls, no letters. Nothing. How was he suppose to say to the boy he loves, that his time on this earth was cutting short?

 

And no ‘forgiveness’ and no ‘apologizes’ was going to make up for the time he missed. “are you okay Baekhyun? did you forget to used the phone again?”

 

“cope”

 

Mrs. Byun, puts her arms in her son’s shoulders, waiting for Baekhyun to correct himself. “i mean, no” the cancer would make Baekhyun confused his words sometimes. “do you want me to call him?”

 

“no, its something i should do”

 

“okay, i’ll leave you alone” Mrs. Byun kisses Baekhyun’s cheek, before she leaves the room. 

 

After weeks of chasing Sehun, it was still the same. Nothing. Sehun would push Baekhyun away, because Baekhyun would just stand so close to the tall handsome boy. And after so many ‘go away’ and ‘your annoying’.

 

Baekhyun didn't get far. At all. Sehun would walk away before Baekhyun would even get close to him. So Baekhyun decides to try one last time. 

 

It was break time and Sehun was sitting in the same bench, readying the same book. Baekhyun sits next to Sehun, and just like a habit the tall handsome boy he closes his book ready to leave. Baekhyun touches Sehun’s arm to stop him.

 

“i’ll make this quick.”

 

Sehun looks at Baekhyun’s hand, waiting for the short pretty boy to take his hand off. “sorry” Baekhyun takes his pretty hand away, as he waits for Sehun to make a decision. To stay, or to walk away.

 

He stays.

 

"you want to hear a story?”

 

Sehun sighs, but nods slowly. Baekhyun gets close to Sehun’s face, bothering Sehun’s precious bubble. “your the love of my life,” Baekhyun begins to whisper, “you just dont know it yet” Sehun’s swallows hard, as he continues to blink.

 

Baekhyun smiles, showing his white beautiful teeth. He waves before he leaves. "thats not a story!” Sehun yells, pretending that could cover his blush.

 

“yes, can i talk to Sehun”

 

“who is this?” a polite man asks in the other side of the phone. “Byun Baekhyun” “i’ll transfer your call” the easiest to find, was Sehun. He had taken his father business, and made it in to a billion dollars corporation.

 

“yes, this is Oh Sehun”

 

Baekhyun smiles, he never thought Sehun would change his voice. He didn't sound like a kid, but a grown man with a beautiful voice that could change the world. If he want it to. “uhm…” Baekhyun coughs.

 

“hi Sehun, its me Baekhyun”

 

“when my secretary told me Byun Baekhyun was calling me, i knew it couldnt be you. But i was wrong, i guess you are really stupid.” but although Sehun’s voice could change the world, Baekhyun is scared he might change it to a dark lonely world.

 

“look Sehun, i called everyone up and their coming to meet me in two days. I was wondering if you would like to come?”

 

“im busy” simple and short. Hurtful too.

 

“im really sick Sehun, and i would like to see you”

 

Sehun sighs, “Baekhyun i have a lot of work. I cant talk. I’ll check my schedule and see”

 

“Sehun, im….im dying. I have cancer”

 

“sorry to hear that, bye” and the phone call ends faster, than what is going to take Baekhyun to die. Although the last hope he had of seen Sehun, die that same second.

 

“can you believe it guys? next week we would be graduating” Kyungsoo says, as he gets his cap and gown. “finally” Baekhyun sighs, following Kyungsoo to the line. “all i know, is that Baekhyun and I would be moving our stuff to the new dorm room this friday”

 

Sehun puts his arm around his lovely short Baek. “good for you” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, “it kinda that your college is so far away from ours.” Baekhyun pouts, “well, i might go to that one…..or”

 

“hey guys! ready to get out cap and gowns!!!” Jongin interrupts Kyungsoo, with his loud shouting. “come down soldier” Baekhyun says, but Jongin was to busy with Sehun hitting each other. 

 

“i cant believe it guys” Suho joins them with tears in his eyes. “we know each other for four years…” Suho sniffs, “and now you guys wont be a street away” and Suho breaks down. He was thinking what everyone was thinking.

 

So they all pout, and they run towards the crying boy to hug him. 

 

A grey nissan parks infront of a house with a million stories. The boy who has become a men, with a job that inspires people, gets out of the car. He fixes his red old tie, and his grey suit. That apparently he didn't notice he was matching with his car.

 

The teacher stares at the house, and it feels like it was just yesterday when he was running around the grass with his three best friends. He sighs.

 

A sound of another car makes him stop thinking of old times. And stares at a black mercedes benz. No one comes out, which makes Suho approach the car to see who of his old friends was. When the door opens.

 

The expensive clothes, and the black sunglasses screams millionaire. “Kyungsoo!!!!!?” Suho opens his arms to wrap them on the his tiny famous friend. Kyungsoo tries to push Suho’s arms away from him, but it only made the latter tighten his arms.

 

“Suho, please. This sweater is a gift from my fans, don't damage it” Kyungsoo takes his sunglasses off, and Suho stops hugging him, as he laughs at spoiled Kyungsoo. “sorry, its just….i never though i was going to see you again. You know some of my students are fans of you?! i told them i went to school with you but they dont believe me” Suho says, with a down tone.

 

“i dont blame them.”

 

“Kyungsoo?! Suho??!” Kyungsoo and Suho turn to the cheerful voice. “Jongin!?” Suho runs to him, and ends up picking the younger up. He was skinny now, and his golden beautiful skin color was running out.

 

“look at you, with your uniform.” Suho puts Jongin down, “yes, sorry i didn't have time to change.” Kyungsoo sees the van that drop Jongin off driving away. “who was that?” Jongin finally pays attention to Kyungsoo.

 

However the rich clothes, and the expensive haircut said otherwise. “hi Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo half smiles. “oh they were some soldiers from my platoon, who were also coming home” Kyungsoo nods, putting his sunglasses back on.

 

Jongin silently chuckles. The three of them stare at the house, wanting this trip to be over. They just didn't know how their lives are going to change. “does anyone know what we are waiting for?” Kyungsoo asks.

 

“Baekhyun send me a text message this morning, he said when all four of us arrived to call for him like we used too”

 

“four? does anyone know if Sehun is coming?” Jongin asks, knowing it wasn't worth asking. “i dont know.” Suho says, re-reading Baekhyun’s text message. “can we get this over with?” the three friends turn around, and look at the still same handsome face.

 

“Sehun!” Suho and Jongin run towards him, and the three of them hug. Kyungsoo waves, because he had seen Sehun two years ago. Since Sehun's company signed with Kyungsoo for an advertisement contract. “hi Sehun”

 

Sehun nods. “i guess Baekhyun was telling the truth about you” Suho comments, which made Sehun just ignored it. “lets just call him” Jongin cleans his throat. “Baek! Baek! come out!!” “come Baek!” Kyungsoo adds on.

 

“Baekhyun!” Suho yells.

 

Sehun just stares at the house, hoping he’ll see a glance of Baekhyun. But nothing. The house was just lonely. Which reminds Sehun of that day, when he realize that Baekhyun wasn't moving in with him.

 

That in fact, Baekhyun was gone without a word.

 

“come Sehun, say something” Jongin whispers to the taller man. Sehun was about to declined, when Kyungsoo and Suho stare at him. Sehun sighs, and gives up. He want it this trip to be over as soon as possible.

 

“Babe! Babe Baek!” Sehun yells.

 

Sehun puts his dad’s stereo on the ground, as he gets ready to press play. It was 9pm but here he was infront of Baekhyun’s house. His heart begins to race, but decides to take this beating heart and make it into a chance.

 

Sehun presses play, and a song from Baekhyun’s favorite girl singer starts to play.

 

“YOU STILL MY NO.1!” Sehun begins to move his feet, just in the music video. “Babe! Babe Baek you still my no. 1.”

 

The door from garage opens, and a van pulls out. It seem like it had taken a while to fix the van. It was white from the top and yellow from the bottom. The van stops half driveway, as everyone sees Baekhyun in the driver seat.

 

And they all notice, and they wish they didn't but they do. Baekhyun’s whiter skin, his dry lips and how skinny he was getting. And that awful hole in his chest, that it was cover by a cap. Where they would inject Baekhyun for his chemotherapy treatment.

 

Baekhyun lowers his window, “guys ready for a the trip?”

 

“Laugh out loud three times and listen to six songs sleep five hours” Baekhyun and Suho sing loud, joining their voices together. They are in the back seat of a van for a reason. They like to sing every time their in a car together.

 

Jongin is driving, Kyungsoo in the middle seat as Sehun is looking through the window. “And then it won’t be a big deal anymore I will keep you safe, like a knight of light” the two friends continue to sing.

 

Sehun rest his arm by the shoulder of the door. He sighs, hard. Kyungsoo notice and patiently waits for him to explode. Just like he always does when Sehun holds into something for so long. 

 

“3-6-5 I will wield my sword only for you” Baekhyun and Suho chant. But it ends when Sehun hits the window. Jongin stops the van at the scared sound. “whats wrong Sehun?” Jongin asks, as he looks at everyone to see if their okay.

 

“how can you sing?” Sehun asks and everyone becomes dead silence. “how can you be happy? your——your——“

 

“dying.” Baekhyun finishes. “im dying. and I'm sorry you guys” everyone turns to see Baekhyun, except Sehun. “i guess I'm not been fair again. Go ahead ask me anything.”

 

“when did you find out that you had….cancer?” Sehun speaks first, not being able to look at Baekhyun in the eyes. “two weeks before graduation” “why didn't you tell us?” Suho speaks next, with a hurt tone.

 

“because you guys, had your lives planned. I was only going to hold you guys back. I couldnt do that” 

 

Jongin looks at everyone’s faces. Every was down, and confused. They know they should be mad, for all of those years that Baekhyun left them without a goodbye. But when they think of the reason why he left, they feel bad.

 

“come on guys left continue!” Jongin turns the radio on, and turns on the volume. Now all eyes are on him. “in five miles theres a place that they have the biggest ball thread in the world.” and Jongin begins to drive.

 

“guys Baekhyun hasn't answer my phone calls, do you guys know anything?” Sehun gather his friends in the same coffee shop they always go to. Kyungsoo grabs his phone and dials his annoying friend, but nothing.

 

“he doesn't answer.” he says looking at Sehun as he hangs up. “have you checked his house?” Suho comments. “yeah, no one answers. Im worry” “come on Sehun, we know Baekhyun. He wouldn't leave just out of nowhere. Just calm down. You’ll see his going to call you crying, about his parents making him go to this boring place”

 

Sehun sighs, wanting to believe Jongin’s words. But something inside of him didn't feel right.

 

“this is the biggest ball of thread in the world?” Baekhyun says as he looks at the crystal box that holds a normal size ball of thread. “i guess the world is not big as i thought” “hey Baekhyun! take a picture!” 

 

Suho pulls his phone out, Baekhyun stands next to the crystal box doing his peace sign. “come on everyone get in” Kyungsoo puts on his sun glasses, and keeps his distance. Jongin stands next to Baekhyun smiling.

 

Sehun keeps his distances just like Kyungsoo. Suho sighs, and decides to just take a picture knowing this is as good as it gets. “okay guys lets go! next stop is the best waffles!!” Suho exclaims, as he runs to the van.

 

Kyungsoo sighs, he crosses his arms as he follows behind. Jongin follows shortly, leaving Sehun and Baekhyun behind. Baekhyun looks at Sehun, wanting to talk to him private. But sehun just rolls his eyes, and follows his group of friends.

 

“mom, please let me call him” Baekhyun pleads, keeping his voice from breaking. “you need to rest, tomorrow your new chemotherapy starts. “i need him to know” Baekhyun takes the blankets off him, as he tries to get up from the hospital bed.

 

Baekhyun’s mom stops him, “Baekhyun, listen! remember what you told me. To not let you go find him. He has his future, and you would only hold him back” Baekhyun lowers his head, and Mrs. Byun holds onto him.

 

“it hurts mom” Baekhyun starts to cry, “you need me to call the doctor?” Mrs. Byun was ready to run, when Baekhyun stops her. “this kind of pain a doctor cant fix”

 

The van was quiet, since everyone was asleep. Apart from Jongin who was driving. There wasn't any hotels around this area, so he decides to just park in one of the rest areas. Quietly he gets of the van, just to open the back doors.

 

He lays down, as he looks at the sky. Jongin decides to really appreciate the stars, and the beautiful but calm night. Since he doesn't know when he’ll see this again. Joining the air force wasn't in his plans, but he need it money to pay for school.

 

Years later, he’ll do a second turn around. To the place they call war. The feeling of the van sinking in, stops Jongin from thinking. “oh its you” Jongin moves so Kyungsoo can lay down too. “you cant asleep?” Jongin asks.

 

“i usually dont sleep at night, im always performing somewhere else. That the night is my blue sky.” Kyungsoo chuckles

 

“well you know what they say, the night belongs to the poets and the dreamers”

 

Kyungsoo smirks. “who am i?” Jongin stares at Kyungsoo’s face, “your both” and somehow Kyungsoo cold old heart, tries to wake up at the peaceful tone of Jongin. The one that he had missed.

 

“why didn't you tell us Kyungsoo?”

 

“at that time i didn't know that i was going to pass my audition. And i didn't want you guys to give me pity” 

 

Jongin puts his hand behind his head, as he chuckles. “Kyungsoo, weren't we friends back then? how could you think we’ll give you pity?”

 

Kyungsoo nods, his been wrong before and this was one of those times. “so tell me, what would you had said if you knew i didn't pass my audition?”

 

Jongin shrugs, still looking at the sky. It was true, been outside the city the stars shine more. Although there was a special star shinning to bright tonight. And it wasn't because it was next to him. “i would have said. ‘Do Kyungsoo! you better learn another song, im taking you to every audition! and i wont take no as an answer,’

 

“if you want to give up, then lean in my shoulder. And rest. But you better make sure i would lift you up. So rest. I’ll do the rest” Jongin giggles, waiting for Kyungsoo to say something. But when i minute feels like forever to him, he turns to look at his best friend.

 

Who was staring at him.

 

Jongin opens his mouth to say something, when they feel the van moving. “what time is it?” Suho looks at his two best friends. Kyungsoo gets up, and goes to the driver seat. “uhm…its 10pm”

 

“did i interrupt something?” Suho asks confused. Jongin stands up, as he shakes his head. “no” “Jongin close the doors, lets keep moving. The faster the better” 

 

“hey Suho have you seen Kyungsoo?” Jongin looks around the auditorium, holding some flowers behind his back. “no i haven’t.”

 

Jongin looks around the place, “well tell me if you see him. See you later Suho” Jongin walks in his tippy toes looking for a short cold eyes person. Jongin knows this could be the last time he’ll see Kyungsoo, before he goes to boot camp.

 

And there was so much he want it to say to his best friend. Starting for the fact that he want it to change ‘best friend’ to maybe ‘boyfriend’.