The Billfold Affliction

Word's Anatomy: A Collection of Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For what it's worth, this story was supposed to be the last chapter of my four-shots 'Saudade' which I took down due to plagiarism issue that entails. After taking some time to reconsider, I decided to post this on a new page instead.

On another note, I would like to apologize to my readers for not being able to update my on-going stories because hospital life has been keeping me busy (even though you might find my AFF profile on line all the time, solely for the purpose of keeping tabs of stories I'm subscribing). I can not thank you enough for those who left me comments on my on-going stories, asking me to update or just letting me know how much they missed my stories. Your unconditional support is very much appreciated. 

...

 

 

“Yo, Serge!”

Daesung jogged across the field to meet me at the other side. His track suits was drenched in sweat, but his breathings were amazingly even. One of these days had been the hottest of summer but I failed to see how it prevented the adrenaline junkie from keeping up with his routines.

“Corporal Kang,” I nodded, “Having your daily dose of run, eh?”

“Yes, Sir,” he bitterly smiled, acknowledging the heat, “Seunghyun told me since everyone’s been seeking refuge in the gym, all machines are constantly occupied.”

“I bet they are,” I took a chilled Gatorade out of my lunch bag and offered it to him.

“Gee, thanks!” he inhaled the drink in one shot and wiped the remaining liquid off his lips with the back of his hand. Then his face lit up as if he was reminded of something, “Anyways, you should be careful with your billfold next time.”

“Huh?” I threw him a confused look.

Daesung fished out a thin black leather square out of his backpocket and handed it to me.

“Found it in the locker room two days ago. I believe the money remains untouched, but just check it out in case something’s missing. You’re pretty old-fashioned for your age, aren’t you Serge?” he grinned while I accepted the billfold reluctantly.

When I did not reply, he  continued, “No cards, IDs, nor valuable items other than a stack of cash and a picture of your wife... even I have to admit, that’s very manly of you.”

His words got me even confused that I decided to open the familiar looking billfold and have it checked myself. Daesung was of course right, there was nothing much in there apart from some banknotes worth approximately ₩ 150.000 and a picture of... my wife?

“Wait, hold on,” I took my time to study the only picture inside the billfold and couldn’t be anymore surprised. It was a photograph of Dara indeed, safely tucked in one of the compartments as if the owner had purposely intended to hide it from the outside view. Judging from her shoulder-length hair and the youthfulness sparked by that pretty smile, I thought it was taken on her college days years ago.

Daesung patted my back, “Dara is an ageless beauty, isn’t she? She looks just the same as in the picture.”

He took some light jumps before he started another round of jog.

“She is...” I muttered, unaware of him leaving.

“Glad to return it to the rightful owner.”

When I looked up to him, he was already a few steps in front of me.

“Hey, Dae!” I just remembered I haven’t thanked him yet, “Thank you for keeping it for me...”

Daesung waved without looking back and I stood there, dumbfounded and feeling a little bit off. I quietly grabbed my own wallet from my backpocket and weighed them two.

“...eventhough I hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter