Trauma

Dauntless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun didn't like the direction the audition was heading in. The company had always tested trainees on their weaknesses, but never auditionees, so what the CEO was thinking was beyond him. What annoyed him even further was the fact that Taeyong was at an obvious disadvantage. The other three trainees have been coached on all their skills, good and bad, for the past years. Taeyong, on the other hand, had little to none and judging by the anxious look on his face, he doubted the he had any singing experience either.

'This is going to be such a drag.'

Sehun didn't have a problem with any of the other trainees, actually scratch that, he did. Hansol had never left a good impression on him and his eyes always held a glint that never settled well with him. Tae, well did he even have to say anything? The guy seemed cocky as hell. Then there was Ten, whom he didn't like just for the heck of it.

"Your guitar, Chanyeol-sshi, can I use it?" 

Sehun, interested in the new-found confidence in the younger's voice, glanced up as he watched Chanyeol hand his guitar over. Whatever anxiety passing through the Taeyong's eyes earlier, had clearly gone away, judging by the confident way in which Taeyong now handled the guitar. All the kid had to do now was not screw up.

He briefly closed his eyes as he appreciated the music beginning to pour from guitar. Although he never told Lay, his new song, Monodrama, was one of his favorites. He admired Taeyong for choosing to perform a song with the songwriter before them, but he also thought it was stupid of him. Did the younger really think it would get him brownie points for messing up in front of Lay? Well, that was what he figured before the younger opened his mouth. 

Sehun could only stare open mouthed as Taeyong began singing the lyrics to the song. I-It was unexpected and it confused him, because it was making him think of things he would rather not think about. Heartbreak, love, and pain, he understood it all and Taeyong's voice was making him relieve it all over again. He tightly clenched his hands into fists as Taeyong ran his fingers through the chords and released a high note, one that shot straight through his heart, and one that made him think of his lonely mother who he hadn't seen for months. 

Sehun only realized he was holding his breath when the other had sung the last note and the last chords song was echoing in the room. Only then did he release his breath, and even then it was staggered and short. Taking a look at the others, he realized they weren't doing any better than he was. Well, except for the bastard CEO, who carried an unreadable look onto his face. He should have known he was up to something when his face broke out into a smirk as he walked over towards Taeyong.

"For a rookie and someone who doesn't sing, you were able to conjure up emotions that were needed to sing this song so passionately. Where are the emotions from? A traumatic childhood, perhaps?" Sehun could only stare in disgust as the CEO's face lightened up in amusement at the hardened look Taeyong sent the other.

Kim Taeyong -- golden eyes

"All I did was try to understand the pain the songwriter must have felt when he wrote the lyrics. Or is being human now considered traumatic as well? But then again, you wouldn't really know what it means to be human, would you?" Taeyong said as he cocked his head to the side and stared at the CEO with questioning gaze, as if he was really pondering his humanity.

Sehun, for what seemed like the millionth time that day, could only hold his stare in shock as he felt the atmosphere tense almost immediately. Everyone was stiff, waiting for the CEO's reaction to Taeyong's mockery, as the boy himself didn't seem worried at all.

'Where the does he get all that confidence from? It's going to kill him!'

Sehun's mind flashed back to the night Taeyong rescued them from the hands of 3 Blazes. He was vulnerable and sick at the time, seeming as if he would collapse at any moment. Minutes later, once realizing the danger they were in, he saved them all without even considering the safety of himself. In fact, he had forced them away even though he knew he would be on the receiving end of a fight. So, if he really thought about it, it wasn't that Taeyong was overly confident, but that he didn't care enough about his well being as he did with others.

Sehun stared at Taeyong with understanding and a bit of sadness, what must of happened for him to act as if he had nothing to lose in this world? Even now, he was protecting Lay from experiencing any pain from careless words that could be said from the CEO.

"Being human, it's not something I would ever willingly expose myself to, Taeyong-ah," the CEO said as he clapped the other on the back, "Not when I have others to do all the 'human' work me."

Sehun could only release a bitter laugh at how true the statement was. Why would the CEO worry about understanding others wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter