Three

Mnemosyne

At a five-star restaurant, inside a VIP room were 2 men in their pressed suits and a woman in her elegant dress. Calculated smiles were plastered on both their faces as they talked about business and the matter at hand. The woman beside one of the gentle man had a soft feature and joined in the conversation classily. She lifted her flute of champagne as one the men commented on a statement she uttered. After nodding satisfyingly, the three stood, shook hands and promised that they will all meet soon, before the couple left. The man remaining inside the room walked towards the window that showed the busy city, and with glass of red wine, he had a smirk on place.

 

“Perfect.”

 

*

 

“Hyukkie, you can’t just---”

 

But the brunet was cut off when a pair of plump lips landed on his and his eyes just automatically closed, arms wrapping around the neck of the slender body leaning on him, all arguments forgotten. After what seemed like forever, the need to breathe could not be ignored and the two hesitantly parted, foreheads touching as they tried to breathe normally.

 

“Would you stop that,” Donghae whispered, eyes still close.

 

“Stop what?” Hyukjae asked, a smile on his face as he ran his fingers soothingly at the brunet’s waist.

 

“Interrupting my sentences with kisses.”

 

“But you like it,” Hyukjae countered, and his smile widened when the other did not argue about that. He landed another peck on the pouting lips of Donghae before he fixed his suit and fixing the brunet’s as well; it was his fault why it became disarray, anyways. Not that he regretted doing it. “Are you free tonight? Can we have dinner at your place?”

 

Donghae was fixing his hair in front of the blonde’s vanity mirror as he answered, “Sure. What do you want?” And he relaxed as arms encircled him from behind, a chin resting on his shoulder and he cannot help but smile as a soft kiss was planted on his neck, before the blonde whispered, “Surprise me.”

 

*

 

“It’s final.”

 

“You can’t just---”

 

“Of course I can. He has everything just by carrying my name and this only a little bit of price to pay for all the pampering he had even if he does not deserve it.” The man stood, checking his watch. “I have to go. There is someone I need to talk to. Call your son and tell him the good news.”

 

As he left, the woman started sobbing, burying her face in her thin and shaking hands. “I’m sorry…I’m so sorry.”

 

*

 

The blonde was humming to the tune playing on his earphones, as he was picking ingredients for the dish he is planning to prepare for the evening. He decided he’d be making Italian pasta, since it’s easy to make and Hyukjae loves pasta. After picking a new bottle of white wine, since he ran out, he paid and was walking towards his car when he was blocked by a buff man wearing a suit and shades. Removing his earphones he asked, “Can I help you?”

 

“Mr. Lee Dong Hae, if you could please follow me,” the man spoke, then started walking towards a black sleek car just a few steps away. The brunet gradually followed and halted infront the vehicle. Just as he stopped, the window rolled down.

 

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Donghae.”

 

*

 

“Babe, I’m here.” He removed his shoes and hanged his coat, taking in the scent of aromatic cooking. “Is that pasta I smell?” Hyukjae asked as he walked towards the kitchen, fully aware of his rumbling stomach.

 

“Yeah, it’ll be done in a few,” came in a soft reply from the brunet who had his back turned. Hyukjae, automatically, set the table as Donghae turned off the stove. But he excused himself, not bothering to face the blonde just yet, and went straight to the bathroom.

 

The moment the door clicked shut, the tears started flowing and Donghae brought up his hands to muffle the sobs. He idly walked towards the mirror, wherein he saw just how bloodshot his eyes are, and felt the pain all over. The tears had been flowing since he came back from the grocery, since he was cooking, and it momentarily stopped but then Hyukjae arrived and they came crashing down again.

 

He knew he shouldn’t stay far too long inside, or else Hyukjae would come and knock, and he might see him breaking down. And that cant happen. Not yet. He cant break down just yet. And so, he let the faucet running, washing his face with cold water and making sure that there are no more traces of tears visible on his face. He dried his face then looked at the mirror.

 

“You can do this. For Hyukjae.”

 

*

 

Hyukjae was having his second serving of pasta when Donghae stood up from the sofa saying he’d open the new bottle of wine he purchased earlier. They decided to eat their dinner at the living room, with their feet propped up the table, playing a bit of footsie as the television is playing The Antman. They had been meaning to watch the film together at the cinema, but due to their busy schedule, it didn’t happen so Hyukjae just downloaded it and now seemed like the perfect time to watch it.

 

“Hae? Do we have dessert? I feel like eating something sweet,” he called out. When no answer came, he said, “Donghae?”

 

“Yeah, I---I do have something for dessert,” came the reply and Hyukjae felt like something was off but the brunet came back with a bowl of strawberries coated with chocolate, and the flutes of red wine. He assisted the younger man in setting down the food and when he was sure that nothing would spill, he wrapped an arm around the brunet’s waist and pulled him towards him. Donghae gasped as he landed straight on Hyukjae’s lap, with the blonde tightly hugging his waist and burying his face on the brunet’s neck, and planting butterfly kisses on it.

 

“What is it? Is this for the strawberries?” Donghae asked softly, with Hyukjae still kissing him.

 

“That’s part of it. But mostly, this is just because of you being amazing. I am so happy to have you, Hae. I wouldn’t ask for anything else, for anyone else, to spend time like this with other than you,” Hyukjae confessed. It was a rarity for Hyukjae to voice out his deepest thoughts, but when he starts, he does not stop. “I am lucky to have you in my life, and I love you so much I don’t know where its coming from,” he ended with a whisper.

 

“I love you too,” Donghae whispered back, before he squirmed to have Hyukjae look straight into his eyes. And what Hyukjae saw there was determination, and it melted his heart with so much affection, but at the same time, there was that feeling of---unease. On what, he does not know, so he pushed it aside and forgot about it. The brunet now placed his palm on both side his face and said, “And I will do everything that I know will be best for you.”

 

Before Hyukjae could ask what that meant, Donghae released him and grabbed the flutes, handing one to Hyukjae and proposing a toast. The blonde took his and clinked his glass with the brunet, then he intertwined their arms, Hyukjae with a sly smirk and Donghae with a surprised expression which turned into fondness before they sipped their glasses.

 

The night continued in a bliss. The two fed each other chocolate-coated strawberries, off chocolate off each other’s lips, stealing kisses and whispering sweet nothings with each other. A few more hours, the television was turned off, the bowl clean of chocolates and the wine already finished as the two are curled on the sofa, Donghae half-lying on Hyukjae, his head on the blonde’s chest as the other played with his soft locks.

 

“I’m thinking I’m starting to get dizzy with all the wine,” Hyukjae murmured, frowning at the dull head ache. He could hold his alcohol well, and he’s confused as to why he’s feeling this with only ingesting wine. When Donghae did not answer, Hyukjae assumed he was asleep and just closed his eyes as darkness engulfed him.

 

But when the blonde’s breathing softened, making it seem like he is asleep, the brunet lifted his head off of the blonde’s chest, tears already silently streaming down, and he looked up at the peaceful look on Hyukjae. He reached up a hand, and traced the fine jaw, the nose and the plump lips of the blonde. He was keeping everything in memory. He is taking in every single detail. And then he laid his head back down, right where the strong beat of Hyukjae’s heart is steadily working, and Donghae buried that sound in his mind, trying to make his own heart be in sync with Hyukjae’s. The tears are still pouring, and are slightly damping the blonde’s shirt, but Donghae laid down a few more seconds, before he lifted his face again, this time, softly placing his lips on Hyukjae’s, making some of his tears drop on the serene face of the blonde, and when he detached himself, he whispered,

 

“I love you, Hyukjae. Please. Remember me.”