Two

Mnemosyne

 

It had been awhile since EunHyuk had eaten a homemade meal. Ever since inheriting the company, he never got the time to leisure on food prepared on the table. If he sits at the dining table, he would either be reading a file or talking on the phone, and before he realizes, it was time he leave for a meeting and all he ever digested was his coffee. It never bothered him. Time was something he cannot afford to waste in eating because he has other important things to do; things like snatching another million-dollar project and proving to his father that he could run the company by himself.

 

He lets out a sigh as he rests his forehead on the steering wheel. He could feel the warm and relaxed feeling he had when he stayed over the brunet's apartment dissipating. It was never a good idea to remind himself how his father sees his effort. It was note a secret that the former president was reluctant to hand over the advertising company he had worked hard for eight years to the next president; be it his son or not. 

 

"Happy thoughts," he whispered, clutching the steering wheel and closing his eyes. "Think happy thoughts, Hyukjae."

 

And happy thoughts, it is. Behind the closed lids, he reminded himself of his beautiful mother. His mother who had always wanted the best for him; who gave him strength and support; who was filling in the love and attention that his father failed to give. The mother who never criticized him; who is there when the days get rough; the one who accepted him the way he is. And next to the woman who he wanted to love and protect, was a man who never failed to make his heart flutter in the most wonderful way. A man in the form of a beautiful brunet. Donghae. The one who had captured his eyes in his first day in the company. The very first person, aside form his mother, that he felt compelled to protect. The one who gradually broke down the walls and crept inside his heart, taking up a bigger space than the blonde was aware of.

 

A knock from the passenger window broke down his lovely thoughts as he looked up and smiled. Pressing the button to roll down the glass window he said, "Good evening, mother. Why are you not asleep yet?"

 

The woman in question gave her own smile, the exact replica of Hyukjae's, before he opened the door and sat at the passenger seat. When the doorwas closed he turned to face his son and sighed, "How do you expect me to sleep when I know too well that you'll be arriving tonight?" She said, then took hold of his son's face in her own nimble fingers, looking left and right. "You look like you losed weight. Was food in France that bad?"

 

Smiling gently, Hyukjae placed his hand on top of his mother's, and held it there. "I was there for a week. The food was fine. But of course, nothing beats home," he said fondly which earned him a pinch in the cheek.

 

"You mean, nothing beats Donghae's food?" his mother teased lightly, and giggling at the sheepish, and caught, expression on Hyukjae. "If I didn't know that he make food like a chef, I would feel really bad that you prefer his food than your own mother's".

 

"Mother, don't even pretend that you know how to handle the kitchen, when you can't even handle a knife to cut an apple. You're too delicate for that," he teased.

 

"I know, no need to rub it on my face," his mother whined lightly. "Seeing your good mood, I would say you had a wonderful time at Donghae's place?" and when Hyukjae was about to protest, she clucked her tongue and added, "Don't you even try to deny. You smell like cinnamon. And if I remember correctly, all your bath products are strawberry-scented."

 

Hyukjae laughed, shaking his head and answering, "Since when did you become Sherlock Holmes? And yes, I had a wonderful time at Donghae's. He made me curry for dinner, and he packed some for you, before you even ask."

 

"Sweet child, that Donghae. I can see he takes care of my son well," her mother observed, eyes soft and caring.

 

"By the way, what are you doing down here? How come you're not asleep yet?" Asked Hyukjae who twisted to grab his stuff at the back, and when his question was met by silence, he looked back at the melancholic look on his mother and understood. His grip on his bag tightening, he forced a smile on his face and tapped his mother's shoulder, "Should I make you tea and we could watch a movie in my room?"

 

His mother lets out a smile, though a bit dimmed than the one before, and said, "Yes, please."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"Welcome back, president."

 

He returned every greeting with a bow and a small smile. As he was moving towards his office, he scanned the room behind the glass wall and subtly smiled as he saw Donghae talking to one of his artists. Hyukjae remembered the brunet talking about the new intern... Minho, was it? Choi Minho. It was never really his job to check on the new interns (except for Donghae, of course. But that's different.) but Hyukjae read the application of the intern. And it had nothing to do with the fact that Donghae kept on mentioning his name. A frown made his way to his face as he watched the brunet ruffled the hair of the intern.

 

"You're being too obvious," a whisper and Hyukjae immediately cleared his expression as he was met by the soft giggling of his secretary.

 

"Song Ji Hyo-ssi," he spoke as the woman stiffled her giggles and stood straight.

 

"Yes, Mr. President?" she said, as the man turned to face her.

 

"Where's my---"

 

She handed a warm cup of coffee she was holding, "One cup of caramelle machiatto, hazelnut, soy," she informed rather cheekily. Meanwhile, Hyukjae looked at her with a playful smile before getting his coffee.

 

"You should be grateful you know how to make my coffee, or you'll be jobless," he muttered, before sipping from his cup.

 

"You should be grateful I am your secretary, or you wouldn't know that Donghae made plans to have lunch with his precious intern. And that in the seven days that your enjoying France, leaving me behind here in Seoul, I remind you, Choi MinHo-ssi had been sending little presents to your lovely art department head with the sender as a secret admirer," she informed him and snickered as the frown was once again on the blonde's face.

 

"Huh, so he's the secret admirer Donghae told me about," he muttered under his breath but the hold on his coffee tightened a bit. "What's in our schedule?"

 

"A meeting at 10 with the iOptical, they are renewing the contract. Then by 2:30pm you have a video conference with the account you secured back in France, then Sungmin-ssi was requesting your presence in his welcome back party by 6pm," Ji Hyo spoke as she checked her phone.

 

"Oh yeah, that's tonight," Hyukjae said as he cast another look inside the art department room and prevented his gummy smile showing as he saw Donghae looking right at him. Instead he gave a small smile and nodded, before he finally made way towards his office, "So, I have nothing for lunch?" he asked, and before he even hear an answer, Ji Hyo was already making a call.

 

"I'm making the same reservations," she said with a smile and Hyukjae gave her a smile in return as thanks.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

 

EunHyuk was loosening his tie as he entered the restaurant. He was greeted by the staff since he is a frequent customer as he was ushered into the private boot he always reserved whenever dining there. 

 

"Your companion already ordered food, sir," the waiter informed him as they went up the stairs leading to the private booths of the establishment.

 

"Okay, what time will it arrive?"

 

"It's probably there, sir. Would you like to add anything else? A wine, perhaps? There was no wine included in the previous order," he was informed and for a minute he was confused. Donghae always, always, loved eating with wine. 

 

"No thanks. If my companion doesn't want wine, we're not having one. Maybe next time," he smiled, before he sent the waiter with a small bow before pushing the door open. And his smile widened at the picture that greeted him. Donghae was sitting on the right side of the couch, his feet tucked below him as he reached over the table to get california rolls before putting it on the side of Hyukjae's plate, then added sushi and a tiny bit of wasabi on the side. The thoughtfulness, no matter how many time Donghae's been doing it already, made Hyukjae's heart swell.

 

"Sorry for making you wait," he spoke as he closed the door and took the seat across the brunet.

 

"I wasn't here for long," Donghae said with his own sweet smile, before he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on the blonde's lips, who accepted it whole heartedly and also leaned forward to give the brunet an easier access. As he pulled away, maintaining the close distance of their face, Hyukjae saw the brunet pout a bit. "You didn't sleep well."

 

It was not a question, it was an observation. 

 

"How can you tell?" Hyukjae asked, eyes fixed on the intense yet gentle eyes of the brunet.

 

A hand was lifted, and nimble fingers traced the bags under the blonde's eyes, before the hand cupped his cheek, his thumb rubbing it lightly in that soothing manner, "I just know," Donghae whispered. "I can see it even if you try to cover it with make-up," he added before placing a peck on his nose and returning to his seat.

 

"Is that the reason why we're not having wine?" Hyukjae asked fondly, heart so full of love for the younger man in front of him who just gave him a smile and started opening his bag. Then a carton of drink was placed on the table, before it was pushed towards his direction after the brunet plunged the straw..

 

"Yeah. We're having this, instead," Donghae said. "It's a tonic I read about online. It was said to improved blood circulation and restore energy after lack of sleep. It was highly recommended by doctors too," he added. "Then I ordered Japanese as well as organic food to balance everything. Here," the brunet handed over a bowl with sweet tomatoes and cabbages dressed with a very aromatic smell. "I asked the chef to make this personally, so eat it, okay?"

 

Hyukjae lets out a chuckle, "You know, mother was right when he said your feeding me like you're my own mother, instead. She's getting jealous."

 

The brunet looked up with a smile, "Mother have nothing to worry about. I will never take her place. And besides, she can't cook."

 

"I know, right? That's what I told her," he agreed and they both let out a laugh. "Even she is getting fed by your meals."

 

Then they resumed eating, all problems and... previous sudden-spurt of jealousy forgotten as they spent a few hours together.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"Five hundred Billion dollars?"

 

"Yes," came a stoic reply from the phone and Hyukjae leaned back on his office chair. "It is proposed by Samsung electronics. They are the largest company here in Seoul, and they need to be top priority. I heard Vangard also had their eyes set on securing that account. And I don't need to tell you that that should not happen, am I clear?"

 

"Of course. I understand, father."

 

~*~*~*~*~

"It's been a while since Vangard had tried fighting head on head with Kinnetik, isn't it?" Donghae asked Ji Hyo as they were getting cocktails on the bar of the party. The place was already packed with people both from the company and some who are Sungmin's personal friends. The arts department head and the president's secretary had made their duty to meet and greet everyone and are now lounging at the bar as they wait for the blonde man to make his appearance. "I bet Hyukjae's pressured."

 

"Hm," Ji Hyo answered as she sipped her red cocktail, "especially since it was something his father directly ordered for him to get. It's been two years since Mr. Lee made a direct request to have an account. I bet he really wanted to have Samsung electronics in our company."

 

"Yeah, but hello? Who wouldn't want them? They're offering a tad load of cash for just an advertisement of an electronic that would probably be replaced after a few weeks," Donghae grumbled. He felt someone standing behind him and smiled as he noticed that warm presence.

 

"I see my big-mouthed secretary had spilled the beans," Hyukjae spoke, motioning for the bartended for a drink. 

 

"I was just telling your partner something vital," Ji Hyo defended herself in a small voice so as to not be overheard.

 

"If you waited for a bit, I would have been the one to tell him. As you personally said, he is my partner and not yours. Go and snog your Jong Ki somewhere," Hyukjae retorted with a smirk as Ji Hyo blushed.

 

But the woman regained her composure, putting on a smirk as she said, "I would but I am busy being a third wheel so as two men wouldn't seem too suspicious to the rest of the company. The same way I've been doing for the past two years," then she stuck out her tongue as Hyukjae glowered at her. Donghae was watching the childish banter of the two, already used to their bickering. Just as Hyukjae was about to answer back, he was cut off by the entrance of the man of the night.

 

"Sungmin-hyung!" Donghae happily leaped out of his stool and launched himself directly at the man he had treated like a big brother.

 

Strong arms were wrapped around him, "Donghae-ah! I missed you! And of course I miss you too, Ji Hyo-ah."

 

"Hey!" came an indignant tone from the blonde who was playfully ignored by Sungmin. "I'm here you know."

 

"I know," Sungmin said, "but I don't have to greet you since you're not my boss anymore."

 

"You little---"

 

"Kidding! How's life, Hyukjae-ah!" before he threw an arm around the blonde's shoulder and put him in a headlock.

 

"We should be asking you that," Ji Hyo commented as the blonde regained his poise, flicking his hair to the side and jabbing his elbow on the side of Sungmin. "How was New York? I've read an article about you the other week! And they used really deep words describing your art," then her eyes had a glint as she added, "They also did not failed to mention this 'young and tall curly haired man that is your inspiration'. Care to share?" She finished with a wicked smile, wagging her brows up and down in a suggestive manner.

 

Sungmin lets out a laugh. "Updated to the core still, aren't you, Ji Hyo?"

 

"Eh? You mean you have a person in a relationship with, hyung?" Donghae inquired curiously.

 

"Yes. He's he're actually. Oh," Sungmin cut off with a bright smile as a man joined their group and had his arm around the other's waist possessively.

 

"Hello, my name's Cho KyuHyun. Nice to meet you."

 

"Oh-ho. Not bad, Sungmin-ah!" Ji Hyo teased as she instoduced herself first. After the pleasantries are done, they all dissolved into catching up with the previous art department head who flew to New York after someone scouted his art. And now, he is happily doing his art and showing the world his talent, and it seemed that he also managed to secure a lover.

 

Donghae can't help but observe how loving and gentle KyuHyun is towards Sungmin. Though the man looked all serious and unfriendly, at first, his demeanor would change into a softer one whenever Sungmin talks and he directs his gaze towards the other. The arm around Sungmin's waist was also ever-present and as they sat together on one of the booths, with Ji Hyo and Donghae sitting together, while Hyukjae took the one at the head of the table. He also saw how their free hand would just wound together automatically, without them even realizing they are doing it as they took part in the conversation. Seeing this, Donghae smiled softly at how happy his hyung is, before dropping his gaze on his own hands who are intertwined together. His smile dimmed a bit. If only...

 

"So, Donghae-ah."

 

The call of his name cut him off his thoughts as he looked up and see the eyes of everyone directed at him. "What was it, hyung?"

 

"I was just asking if you have anyone right now," Sungmin asked, that constant bright smile on his face. "I mean, it's been a year and with a face like that... I wouldn't be surprised if you have someone already."

 

"Oh. Um," Donghae started shyly, not looking towards Hyukjae as he answered, "I don't have someone now, hyung."

 

"Huh?! How come?! I can't believe Ji Hyo's not trying to set you up with others," Sungmin exclaimed, directing his gaze towards the woman.

 

"Hey! I haven't--- oh, fine! I love match-making, but Donghae's been persistent on not wanting someone for now," she backed-up before adding, "besides, my boy friend's already doing all the job."

 

"Oh? So your boy friend's setting our Donghae with people? Are they any good?" Sungmin inquired, deeply curious.

 

Donghae whipped his head towards Sungmin, "That happened once, and it was just last night and please, Ji Hyo, tell Jong Ki I do appreciate his efforts, but kindly tell him to stop," he said, cheeks burning. He could feel eyes staring directly at him and he really don't want to see the emotion in those eyes right now.

 

"He's your friend first, you tell him!" Ji Hyo exclaimed before they all resorted into laughter and changing the topic.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"Uungh, Hyuk--ah."

 

"So your friend's setting you up, and you did not bother telling me because?" Hyukjae asked in a low voice as he trailed his finger all over the brunet's body. Donghae was writhing underneath him, but he's holding the younger's hands on top his head to prevent him from touching himself as he let his own free hand wander lower, drawing light patterns on the milky inner thighs of the brunet.

 

"I was---that just happened...ah, last--last night," Donghae panted, feeling his body overly sensitive as they hands were nearing his entrance. "Just after you...you left," he finished with difficulty, trying hard not to squirm. "Please, Hyuk, just---ah!"

 

"You're mine," came a low growl as Hyukjae released the brunet's wrist only to grab his face on both hands, directing his fierce gaze on pleading, aroused brown orbs. "You are mine, is that understood?"

 

And Donghae cannot do anything but nod feebly, before his lips was attacked by another set of soft ones and he lets out a moan. When his lips was released, both of them panting hard, the brunet whispered,

 

"Only yours."