Final

Far From Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My name is Kim Jongin, a third year high school student at Sukira High. I am a class president. Wonder why? Well, it’s because of my crazy friends who voted me and convinced my other classmates to vote me as well. I don’t want to carry responsibilities, you know. I didn’t want to be a class president but not until she came.

Her name was Bae Suzy, a transfer student from Jeonju. She was a shy type girl, I could say. When teacher Park introduced her in front, she was just looking down. I wonder why she was hiding her beautiful face.

“Kim Jongin,” teacher Park called me after class. Suzy was standing beside him shyly.   

I walked towards him and asked, “Yes, teacher Park?”

“Since you are the class presient, why don’t you tour Bae Suzy around the school campus?”

I looked at Suzy who looked at me hastily. I smiled sheepishly and nodded. “Sure, teacher.”

Teacher Park patted my shoulder and walked away.

It was an awkward moment between the two of us. I started touring her around the campus and tried to talk to her but it seemed like she wasn’t interested at all. Well, I don’t blame her since touring is boring.

“Um, Suzy.” I called her name shyly. “Am I right?”

She looked at me shyly and nodded. “Yes.”

Finally she talked to me! I thought I’m going to end up the tour without hearing her beautiful voice. I guess I am overreacting when I said beautfiul. Am I not?

I showed her my teeth smile not to scare her of course. “Do you want to have snacks?”

“I’m fine,” she said in a low voice.

Oops. Bad timing, I guess. “Oh, kay. Um, so, our last stop is the rooftop. Come follow me.” I scratched my head in embarrassment. I thought, why would she come with a stranger like me?

Anyway, we walked upstairs going to the rooftop. I love this place. It’s quiet and peaceful. I think I am the only person in this school loving this place because I do not notice anyone going here aside from me.

Surprisingly, I saw Suzy smiled. Wow. She has a beautiful smile indeed! I secretly admired her smile until she caught me staring which caused her smile to disappear. I looked away immediately and chuckled nervously. “Do you like it here?”

“Yeah,” she answered shyly and walked towards the edge of the building. She rested her arms on the rails and watched the view.

I walked towards her way and also rested my arms on the rails. “Um, are you okay?”

She looked at me for a second and looked away again. She nodded. “I am. I think I just need to adjust here.”

I am impressed. She talks more now. You can do it, Jongin. Talk to her more. “If you want some company, you can call me.”

“Huh?” she asked confusingly.

“Oh. I mean, um, I am the class president so you can talk to me.” Ugh. What am I talking about here?

“Ah,” she nodded. “Okay, but are you not bored with me during the tour?”

“Nope. It’s fine with me. Hmm, if you don’t mind, are you really a quiet person?”

She nodded. “Yeah. Sometimes.”

“Why?” I asked curiously.

She smiled a little. “I just don’t want to talk.” She took away her arms from the rails and said, “I’ll go ahead now, president. Thank you for the tour.”

“Oh. You’re welcome,” I answered, still confused.

Then she walked away.

 

 

(Friday) One week after Suzy transferred, I and my friends asked her to walk with us in going home. She was packing her things up when Eunji asked her, “Suzy, do you want to walk with us?”

Suzy looked at her and smiled a little. “It’s okay. I can go home by myself.”

“Aye,” Chayeol reacted and hooked his arm on Suzy’s shoulders which made her startle. This guy. “Come on, Suzy. Let’s get to know each other.”

Suzy looked nervous and took away Chanyeol’s arm from her shoudlers. “Sorry,” she just answered and hurriedly walked away.

We looked dumbfounded but we blamed Chanyeol for Suzy’s reaction. “Chanyeol, you scared her!” I exclaimed.

“I didn’t harm her. I just want to be her friend,” Chanyeol defended.

Eunji hit Chanyeol’s head and said, “Stupid!”

Baekhyun shook his head and said, “Now she doesn’t want to be friends with us.”

Chanyeol raised his hands up and said, “Okay. I am sorry. I’ll be careful next time.”

And on that day, I was more curious about Suzy. Why did she look scared when Chanyeol touched her? She really doesn’t want to talkt to anybody. I wonder if she has friends in Jeonju. This is not yet the time to give up on her. I’ll talk to her until she feels comfortable talking with me.

 

 

Monday morning, I noticed that Suzy was absent. Was it because of Chanyeol? Maybe not. She might be absent because of an emergency.

I was looking at her empty chair at the back when suddenly, Eunji, who was sitting one desk apart behind me, threw a crumpled paper exactly on my nose. I sneezed and picked up the crumpled paper. I saw Eunji laughing softly on her seat so I narrowed my eyes towards her. “Aish.”

I opened the crumpled paper and read what was written, “Don’t miss her too much, pretty boy.”

I widened my eyes in surprise and my heart skipped a beat. What is this small-eyed girl talking about? I looked at her and furrowed my brows. “What are you talking about?” I mouthed.

She smiled at me teasingly. She pointed me then formed a heart shape in the air and pointed Suzy’s empty chair.

“Huh?” I scratched my head.  “I heart the chair?” I asked softly.

She placed her palm on her face and shook her head. “!”

My seatmate Baekhyun was disturbed so he also looked back at Eunj. “Hey, why aren’t you two listening? Are you having secret love communications again?”

I glared at Baekhyun and faced in front. This guy is annoying sometimes. He thinks that I and Eunji have something fishy between us; he thinks we like each other. No. Eunji likes Baekhyun. This idiot.

For him to payback, I raised my hand and said, “Teacher Song, Byun Baekhyun wants to answer the algebraic problem on the board.”

“What?!” he exclaimed surprisingly. “Me?!”

I nodded. “You were listening, right?” I smiled evilly.

“Very good, Baekhyun. Come over here,” Teacher Song praised him.

Serves him right for always misunderstanding me and Eunji. I think I should make a move for him to know Eunji’s feelings. But then I remembered Suzy again. Feelings. What does Suzy feel? Is she alright? Does she feel alone? Everyone was trying to talk to her but she looked uninterested. Suzy, Suzy. From the day we tried to invite her to walk with us, she’s always on my mind. Am I…liking her? Oh, wait. Does Eunji mean, I like Suzy? I looked back at Eunji again who was smiling at me. I sighed and shrugged.

 

 

After two days, Suzy was still absent. Did something bad happen to her? I was really worried about her absence. What if we are the reason why she’s absent? Is she never coming back?

After class, I immediately headed to Mr. Park at the Teachers Office. He was in front of his computer doing something I do not know. He noticed me standing beside him and asked, “Hmm, Kim Jongin, what brings you here?”

“Um, teacher, I am just worried about Baae Suzy. She’s been absent for three days.”

Teacher Park nodded. “Me, too. Jongin, could you do me a favor?”

“Yes, teacher.”

“Will you visit Bae Suzy’s place? I’ll give you her address.”

 “Sure, teacher,” I replied while he was writing Suzy’s address on a piece of paper. After, he handed it to me.

“Thank you, Jongin.”

“No problem, teacher. I’ll go ahead now.”

When I walked out of the Teachers Offce, I didn’t notice my friends were waiting for me outside. I was rushing, that’s why.

“Kim Jongin!” Chanyeol called which stopped me.

I spun around and waved my hand. “Bye, guys! I’ll see you tomorrow!” I shouted and run away.

I took a bus and dropped off a park. I asked some citizens if they know the address written on the piece of paper Mr. Park gave me and thankfully, some of them did know. They pointed directions where it was located. Suzy’s place is just a 10-minute-walk from the park.

I stood in front of a small apartment and knocked on the door. This must be Suzy’s apartment or house maybe. No one was welcoming me so I knocked again. Maybe I went at the wrong house. I was about to call Suzy’s name but someone with a gentle voice called me from behind.

“Kim Jongin?” Suzy, it is.

I spun around and waved my hand shyly. “Hi, Suzy.”

I looked at her from bottom to top without the intention of judging her. She was wearing a sweater and pants, and her hair was in a ponytail. She looks simple and beautiful.

“What are you doing here? How did you know where I live?” she asked me while walking towards my way.

I scratched my head and chuckled. “Um, teacher Park is worried about you so he asked me to visit your place and know if you’re okay. Why were you absent?” I’m really the one who’s worried about her, to be honest.

“Ah. I got sick because of the heavy rain last Sunday but now I feel better.” She smiled a little.

I smiled back. “Oh. Um, it’s good you’re okay now. I thought you were absent because of us. We’re sorry, Suzy.”

“Hm? Oh, that thing? It’s okay. Um, do you still need anything more?”

“Oh. No more. By the way,” I ped my sling bag and took my notebooks. I handed it to her while saying, “Here. Since you were absent for three days, you can have my notes.”

She reached my notes shyly and smiled a little again. “Thanks, Kim Jongin.”

“You’re welcome, Suzy. So, you’re going back to school tomorrow?”

She nodded. “I have no choice. I have your notes.”

I laughed and scratched my nape. “Yeah,” I chimed. “See you tomorrow then.”

She nodded with a pursed smile on her face. Finally, I can see her smiling more.

“I’ll go ahead now. Bye,” I said and spun around but then again I faced her. “Um, Suzy, can I get your phone number?” I asked. Phew! Where did I get my confidence? I think I am blushing.

“Sorry, but I don’t have a phone. I lost it when I arrived here from Jeonju.”

“Oh.” My bad. “It’s okay. I’ll just se you tomorrow. Bye for real!” I said and walked away immediately. Ugh. How much is a phone today? Should I buy her one?

 

 

Next morning, as I was walking along the hallway, I saw Bae Suzy walking ahead of me so I walked fast. I pretended not to notice her but I can’t help myself. I wanted to talk to her so I greeted her, “Good morning, Suzy. Are you still sick?”

She looked at me and greeted, “Good morning, Kim Jongin. No. I’m okay now.”

I smiled. “Good. So, did you study my notes?”

She scratched her cheek cutely and shook her head shyly. I think I know the reason why. “I was supposed to study your notes but, um, I can’t understand your writing,” she said. Ouch.

My jaw dropped literally. I knew it. I just faked a laugh but I was really embarrased. How can I let her borrow my notes with an ugly writing? “Sorry, Suzy. I’ll just ask Eunji to lend her notes to you.”

She nodded and we walked together going inside our classroom. As we enter the classroom, my friends and classmates looked surprised. “Suzy! You’re back!” they shouted. They looked happy seing her again. Me, too, to be honest.

I sat on my chair and Baekhyun patted my shoulder. “Nice work, pretty boy.”

“Ya.” I glared at him.

Later, Eunji and Chanyeol came over. They were surrounding me as if I did something wrong.

“Hey, pretty boy, did you and Suzy go to school together?” Eunji asked eagerly.

“Someone’s jealous,” Baekhyun chimed. Here he goes again.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. “No. I just saw her at the hallway. You guys happy now?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter