Chapter 2 - Mr. Kim will see you now...

The Millionaire Matchmaker

CHAPTER 2- MR KIM WILL SEE YOU NOW... 

“Damn it,” Kyungsoo mutters to himself as he steps shakily from the taxi. He’s nervous. He promised himself he wouldn’t be after Minseok and Jongdae left last night, but no matter how hard he tries the creeping doubt starts snaking up his spine and leaving his stomach a tangle of knots.

The Super Enterprises building is one of the largest in Seoul. It dwarfs the surrounding tower blocks, but there are a couple that can match it in height if one takes a close look around Gangnam. However, all of the other buildings house more than one company, some with a different company on each floor like Kyungsoo’s, but not in the Super Enterprises building. That is solely for the Enterprises, with offices stretching from the sumptuous lobby all the way up to the penthouse suite at the top, which is rumoured to be where Kim Heechul’s personal office is.

Kyungsoo gulps and straightens the knot on his tie, chest constricting and palms sweaty as he clutches his briefcase tightly. The guard in the doorway eyes him before permitting him entry, and Kyungsoo tries not to wince as his shoes squeak against, and undoubtedly scuff, the perfectly polished floor. 

Businessmen and women stroll around the lobby leisurely, some with cups of coffee in their hands, others with jackets or briefcases, and no one pays much attention to Kyungsoo, who stands gaping at the water fall taking up most of the left side of the room. A waterfall. In an office lobby. Kyungsoo thinks to himself, astounded. A sleek metal sign points him in the way of the reception desk and he checks his notes quickly before approaching.

A girl with short hair and a nametag reading ‘Sunny’ glances up at him as he approaches. “May I help you, sir?” She enquires.

“Um yes, I—“ Kyungsoo’s voice cracks over a little and he clears his throat before continuing. “I’ve been told to ask for Kim Ryeowook?” 

The girls face lightens in understanding and she turns over her shoulder “Wookie! Wookie! Your guest is here!”

A kind looking man appears from a back room and smiles reassuringly. “Ah, Mr Do? My name is Kim Ryeowook; I’ll be showing you around today.”

Kyungsoo smiles in return and shakes the man’s hand, before collecting his guest pass from Sunny.  Ryeowook gestures that he should follow, and Kyungsoo struggles to keep up with the man’s swift steps as they head towards an elevator which is much grander than the one in Kyungsoo’s apartment block. The elevator itself is half full of people, all dressed similarly smartly to Ryeowook and Kyungsoo. Ryeowook nods to a couple, before pressing a large rectangular button labelled ‘Penthouse Suite’. The action turns several heads, and many observe Kyungsoo curiously. Kyungsoo steps from foot to foot anxiously and tries to stop his briefcase slipping from his sweaty palms.

The elevator slowly empties; people leaving at their required floor, throwing interested glances over their shoulders. After floor 54, only Kyungsoo and Ryeowook remain in the lift, and they stand in comfortable silence, which Kyungsoo is grateful for. He isn’t sure he’s going to be able to speak, his throat is dry and his heart is hammering.

The elevator gives a pleasant ding, and the doors slide open revealing a remarkably dull corridor, with a brown carpet, cream walls, and a waxy green pot plant in the corner. Ryeowook steps down the corridor efficiently, and pushes a door open. Kyungsoo follows him like a loyal dog, completely overwhelmed and slightly in awe that Ryeowook is able to walk the corridors so close to Kim Heechul’s office and remain totally calm.

Mr Kim’s private reception is behind the door. The glassed walls give a remarkable view of Seoul, the Han River sparkling under the sun and the buildings glinting like diamonds stabbed in the ground. Mr Kim’s receptionist is sitting behind the desk, and looks up with a warm smile as they enter.

“Miss Kwon.” Ryeowook greets with a slight bow. The woman inclines her head lightly, and gestures to an intimidating black door opposite to her desk. “Mr Kim is ready to see you, Mr Do. You can head straight through.”

Ryeowook makes a subtle ‘fighting!’ gesture and the receptionist nods encouragingly as Kyungsoo turns and heads towards his fate, heels tapping embarrassingly loudly on the floor. He hesitates outside the door, before lifting a shaky fist and knocking firmly.

“Come in!” A voice inside calls.

Kyungsoo takes one last gulp as his hand grasps the icy metal of the door handle. He pushes it open, and keeps his eyes on the ground.

“Mr Do. It’s a pleasure to meet you at last.”

***

There is a low thudding in his eardrums and his eyes sting as he opens them to blinding lights. Kim Jongin wakes up blearily, and groans. There is a bitter sting in his mouth and his head pounds as he sits up.

“Oh you have to be kidding me...” He complains, dropping himself back against the cool white sheets. There is a woman in bed beside him, and the clock on the wall is taunting him, telling him he should have been awake a long long time ago. Jongin is well practiced in holding his alcohol now, so feels little nausea as he climbs out of bed.

There is a knock on the door, and Jongin goes to open it, not caring that he is dressed only in a pair of tight black boxers.

“Ew. Where are your clothes?”

Jongin registers the voice and shuts the door, but a shoulder blocks it. “Go away, Sehun. This is all your fault.”

Sehun tuts condescendingly and shakes his head as he walks in looking well rested and smartly dressed. He pokes his blond head round Jongin’s bedroom door and makes a ‘meh’ face and a small hum. “You got lucky then?” he jokes, grinning obnoxiously as Jongin downs two aspirin in the kitchen.

Jongin looks up and squints his eyes, before turning and downing a cup of coffee containing enough caffeine to dose up army. Sehun plops himself onto a chair and gives a hyena laugh, slapping his thighs as he tips his head back. Sehun knows that Jongin has little interest in women. Whilst Sehun is openly gay, and has been for a long time, Jongin insists he is merely ‘open-minded with a general preference for men’. ‘Jong, you like . Face it.’

“I do like some women... like... um” ‘

Yeah like um no one because you like , you need to accept that you’re hiding amongst your Dolce and Gabbana. IN THE CLOSET’

“Oh shut up.”

“Poor Jonginnie, someone’s not in a good mood this morning!”

“Shut up. If you wake her up I swear to god—“

“I’m not going to wake her up; she’s probably still half drunk. Your dad’s secretary sent me by the way,” He pops a couple of grapes from the fruit bowl in his mouth, “You were supposed to be at his office like, ten minutes ago for some meeting or something.”

Jongin drops his head to the table with a groan. Damn it, I’d forgotten about that.

Sehun slides off his chair elegantly and checks his iPhone. “Well, chop chop Jong, Tao said he’s willing to drive us to the offices.”

Jongin hurries into the bedroom and yanks on as many clothes as he can, trying to straighten his tie as he runs some fingers through his unruly hair. It looks as messy as it did before, and there are several suspicious bruises on his neck, but he doesn’t have time to care as he shoots out the door after Sehun, pulling out his own phone and texting his housekeeper Bae Joohyun, also known as Mama. Joohyun is a kind-hearted middle aged woman who was Jongin’s nanny before she became his housekeeper. He daughter Yeri is travelling, and Joohyun likes working for the Kims as she gets paid well and is allowed leave to visit her daughter. She is used to escorting Jongin’s ‘friends’ from his apartment, and Jongin couldn’t be more grateful. Aside from Sehun, she is the only person who knows that Jongin is gay open-minded.

Oh Jongin-ah. You need to slow down... Look after yourself, I’m worried for you xx She responds whilst Jongin sits in the back of Tao’s car. Jongin locks his phone and puffs out a breath. Mama knows him too well sometimes.  

***

“Thank you Mr Kim, that’s all of my questions. I hope I can find you someone as soon as possible. If we find one or two suitable matches, we’ll arrange a ‘Mixer’ event, where you can meet them. Would you prefer that to be a formal event or more relaxed?”

Mr Kim looks thoughtful before answering, “Formal, please. I’m more accustomed to formal events, I think I’ll be able to handle it better.” He smiles warmly as Kyungsoo stands. “Thank you for this, Mr Do. It means a lot to me that I can be happy in retirement. I feel it will also take a lot of pressure of my son knowing I am happy, particularly as he has to take over my company.”

“Honestly, sir, it’s nothing. I’m glad I can help you find that happiness.”

“I’m sorry I have such a long list of... requirements. I was with my wife since we were 16. I don’t really know what I’m doing in the dating scene.” He laughs quietly, a deep rumble that is soothing to the ears.

Kyungsoo smiles reassuringly. The meeting with Mr Kim was astonishingly successful. Despite his nerves, Kyungsoo was able to get all the necessary information from Mr Kim, and he managed to get a snapshot of the man’s personality.

Mr Kim is actually a very friendly person. He is kind and polite, and Kyungsoo finds it easy to understand why he has charmed the business world over the years. He has a warm smile, with eyes that crinkle up in happiness, and he has a surprisingly sharp sense of humour. He had a lot of things he was looking for in a potential partner, but even his list was not as long as some of the egotistical celebrities that had visited Kyungsoo in the past. Kyungsoo was also pleased, as a lot of the traits Mr Kim had given him revolved around personality, which cheered him as he knew Mr Kim was looking for someone to settle down with.

“Mr Kim, you’ve been a great help. Thank you for inviting me today, I will be in touch soon.” Kyungsoo says, lips breaking out into a heart shaped grin.

“My son was supposed to be here today, but he appears to have been waylaid. I will be sending him to help you look for potential dates; I daresay he knows me better than myself. I will speak to him and make sure he is with you on time when necessary.” Mr Kim says, looking concerned for a moment. “I think the death of his mother has affected him more than he says...” Mr Kim shakes his head, and personally shows Kyungsoo from the office, and Kyungsoo is walking on air as he smiles winningly at Ryeowook when he is lead into the elevator again.

Before he leaves, he hands Sunny his guests pass, and she grins at his happy face.

“It went well?” She asks.

“Very very well!” Kyungsoo enthuses, waving as he leaves. He pulls his phone out and sends a text to Luhan, who had told him to meet for coffee in a cafe just around the corner. Things are looking up.

***

When Kyungsoo reaches the cosy cafe, Luhan is curled up on a comfy sofa in the corner. He stands to greet Kyungsoo, and they hug. “I tell you, traffic is a nightmare! I think there’s been an accident, I parked round the corner and walked in the end!” Luhan shakes his head, and pushes a drink towards Kyungsoo. “So, how did it go?” he asks, eyes sparkling.

“It went brilliantly,” Kyungsoo sighs, looking dreamily at the wall. “I can’t believe I was so nervous! If I’m honest this could be one of the easiest jobs yet, Mr Kim is just so... relaxed?”

Luhan leans forward excitedly “So what’s he like then?”

Kyungsoo laughs at his eager face, and leans forward as well. “He’s so nice! He’s got a really funny sense of humour, he likes to joke a lot and all his staff are lovely, not stuck up at all.”

Luhan’s mouth drops, hungry for more gossip.

“But the OFFICES! They’re insane, there’s a huge waterfall in the lobby, with skylights and it’s all so bright an open! And Mr Kim’s office is on the top floor, you can see all the way across Seoul!”

Luhan gulps his coffee down, looking stunned. “I can’t believe, you and I, the company is working for Kim Heechul! I can’t wrap my head around it.” An excited giggle bubbles from his throat and Kyungsoo joins in until they are both in hysterics, rolling round on the cafe sofas, garnering strange looks but not caring. Luhan shrieks as Kyungsoo elbows him in his laughter, causing him to double over even more as Luhan insists that he is a manly man and the scream was most definitely Kyungsoo.

They sober up, Luhan wiping tears from his eyes and Kyungsoo sniggering behind his coffee cup. “Was Kim Jongin there?” Luhan asks suddenly, and Kyungsoo looks up at him.

“No he wasn’t... Mr Kim said he was supposed to be, but that he got waylaid. Apparently he’s being sent to help me with the matchmaking though.” Kyungsoo says offhandedly, adding another sugar into his coffee.

“WHAT?!” Luhan says, nearly spitting his drink across the table. “Kim Jongin is going to be helping YOU find his dad’s match?”

“Well, yeah... that’s what Mr Kim said. It’s not that unusual for us to have a family member help...”

“Kyungsoo this is Kim Jongin... I mean number one he’s gorgeous, but he’s famous. Drinking, partying, women equal Kim Jongin in 3 words! You get to semi-date Kim Jongin!”

“Luhan!” Kyungsoo looks scandalised. “He’s a client’s son! I’m not semi-dating him! I’m not going to drool all over him, no matter how ‘gorgeous’ he is.”

“Soo, you don’t read the gossip magazines, you don’t understand! He’s Seoul’s most eligible bachelor, there are women QUEUING to date him! And you get to spend time within his presence!”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes at Luhan’s drama, before standing up and grabbing Luhan’s car keys off the table. “You can pay, I’ll go pick up your car!” He winks cheekily over his shoulder as Luhan grumbles, reaching for his wallet.

 

Kyungsoo steps out onto the streets and turns his face up to bask in the warm sunlight for a second, another unstoppable grin spreading across his face. His company is going to be successful, he can give his staff a pay rise, he can give them more holidays, the possibilities are endless—Ouch.

A tall man with tanned skin and messy bed hair knocks into him from the side. Kyungsoo is taken aback, he was still standing in the doorway of the coffee shop, so it would have been hard for the man to bash into him. Kyungsoo looks onto the pavement and notices that and elderly woman was pushing her trolley of shopping along the road, and the man was so impatient to get past her he had come barging into the doorway, only to hit Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo then feels an alarming warm dampness on his sleeve, and notices that the man is holding a cup of coffee. Or was holding a cup of coffee, as now it was spilt all over Kyungsoo’s sleeve and the man’s white shirt. With Kyungsoo being in such a good mood, he began to apologise profusely.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there—“

“Do you have any idea how much a suit like this costs?” the man demanded angrily, ripping his jacket off and inspecting the stains. “I doubt a whole year’s salary could pay for this.”

“I’m really, really sorry I was just standing in the doorway, I wasn’t expecting anyone to—“ Kyungsoo flaps his hands around the jacket, trying to dab it down with some tissues he found in his coat pocket.

The man slaps his hands away “I don’t care.” He hisses strong eyebrows furrowed and sharp jaw line clenched. “I’m already late, I have a headache and you’ve just made my day a whole lot worse. It’s a good job my father isn’t here...”

Kyungsoo knows that it would be wiser to just leave it, perhaps offer the man some compensation (even though it wasn’t Kyungsoo’s fault in the first place), but one thing Kyungsoo hates is rudeness.

“You,” He says, pointing a finger sharply at the man, his usually large does eyes narrowing into dangerous slits. “Have a problem. A poor elderly woman was just trying to walk down the street. You could have easily waited a few minutes, seconds even, just to let her past, but you’re so wrapped up in your own mind that you think you can just go barging through everyone as if you own the place. You didn’t buy the streets of Seoul, I live here just as much as you do.”

The man looks astounded that Kyungsoo would dare to speak back to him. His mouth is half open, as if he wants to say something but can’t.

Kyungsoo continues. “So I’m not going to do anything about your stupid suit. If you’re oh-so-powerful as you say you are, I’m sure you can afford to buy yourself another one, without any help from me and my poor peasant salary.” He hisses the last few words out. Stepping closer to stare eye to eye (the height difference makes it eye to chest really) he glares at the man, who’s nostrils flare and tongue clucks. He gives one last look at Kyungsoo, before scoffing and marching off down the street without a backwards glance, people parting before him like he had an invisible shield surrounding him. He dumps the jacket in a bin on a lamppost and rounds the corner out of sight.

Kyungsoo suddenly flushes, realising there are several eyes pointed in his direction. His little altercation had caused a crowd to form. Then, before Kyungsoo realises what is happening, a slow round of applause starts at the back of the crowd, spreading forward until the whole section of the street is whooping and cheering and clapping, praising Kyungsoo for standing up for himself. Kyungsoo ducks his head and smiles shyly for a while, until the crowds move on.

One man remains, however. He’s tall and lanky, with long uncoordinated legs and bleached blond hair. He has a smile on his face, and Kyungsoo is struck with the realisation that he is quite handsome.

“Thought I’d better stay and apologise for my friend... Sorry about him.” He says, stepping forward to offer Kyungsoo a clear handkerchief to mop his sleeve a little.

“Oh, no it’s fine. He’s probably just having a bad day, I get it. Maybe I over reacted a little.”

“No, no you did him good. He’s been daddy’s precious little boy since forever, and people rarely stand up to him. Now he’s a big boy, he’s trying to act like he’s OK on his own, but apparently that only stretches to refusing to have a bodyguard...” The guy chuckles and so does Kyungsoo. “He got crazy drunk last night, I think he’s still feeling the after effects...”

Kyungsoo nods and continues mopping up his sleeve, until the man shakes his head. “Ah, you know what, just take this,” he says, shrugging his jacket off. “Get it altered if it doesn’t fit, I still feel bad on behalf of the toddler...”

“No, honestly I can’t...” Kyungsoo tries to refuse, but the man is firm. He smiles again, and it brightens his face. He takes Kyungsoo’s hand and shakes it.

“I’m Oh Sehun by the way. Sorry again, but I have to go now. Honestly keep the jacket, it’s no problem. I hope you have a nice day.” He bows and steps back, throwing another charming eye smile Kyungsoo’s way. Kyungsoo blushes and the man beckons another tall black haired man to follow with him. They disappear in the crowd, and Kyungsoo smiles confusedly.

“Sorry about that Soo, the till was new... took ages just to pay... did I miss anything?” Luhan asks, popping out of the door.

Kyungsoo looks down at the jacket in his hands, and tucks it under his arm, smiling at Luhan. “No, not much...”

The duo head back to Luhan’s car, with Luhan chattering beside him and Kyungsoo’s thoughts still on spilled coffee, new jackets and blond hair... 

 

 

 

 

HIIII...... sorry im probably not going to have a consistant updating schedule, i'll just write as it comes to me (that probably means you'll get multiple updates sometimes hehehe i cant stop writing!!!) 

this is unedited as usual, i'll be back asap though i promise ;)  edited now :)

i'll see you all soon,

Tea xxx

 

 

twitter

curiouscat