Chapter 6

Unexpected Love

We all have bad days. We all feel that our bad days are worse than others' bad days. A bad day is when I feel tired even if I don't do anything. A bad day is when I feel alone even when I am around people. When I talk to my friends, but I can't tell them important things. 

I was at the redaction and I though that I was living one of the worst days I ever lived. 

What Kang So Ra told me was true. Director Lee has sold the newspaper. Now my workplace is a chaos. That drives me crazy. My environment affects my mood. Everybody was tensed up. I felt like a mind reader: I could say for sure that the question everyone was asking was "What if I lose my job?"

Yes, I wondered that, too. But the only thing I could do was waiting. Again, that was driving me crazy. 

And I had another problem: the murder. I wrote the article and, after I finished it,  I read it. I couldn't belive that I managed to write everything just as a simple, ordinary article. Even if people found it emotional and well written, it didn't quite show all the emotions I went through while working on it at the warehouse or at the hospital. Nothing about the feelings I felt during the investigation. And... I couldn't forget the last words of that man: "Find him"

I didn't see Kim Woo Bin, Yoo In-na or Ko Ghang Seok since that day. I had no reason to. I told myself I have to forget that case. I am too sensitive.

"Miss Park Shin Hye?" a voice called me 

I had thought I was alone in the room and I was surprised. I looked up to see a man I never saw before. He had short hair, was wearing glasses and a navy blue suit. How comes he knows my name? 

"Yes?" I answered unsure 

"I am secretary Baek. Director Yoon, the new owner of the newspaper wants to talk to you."

"I am sorry, director Yoon...?"

Just when secretary Baek was about to answer me, two of my workmates entered in the room. 

"Reporter Park, can we talk on our way?"

On our way ? If that man wasn't older than me I would tell him a couple things. But he looked as old as he could be my father and the "new owner of the newspaper" thing made me curious . 

I followed secretary Baek to the park lot, but since we were all the time surrounded by people he refused to tell me anything. My headache and bad mood were intensifing. He opened the door for me, but I didn't entered in the car. 

"Wouldn't it be a bad idea" I said "to get in a car with a stranger?"

He smiled "But I am not a stranger. I introduced myself and I know your name."

"Just because you know who I am doesn't mean you know me, secretary Baek. Tell me where are we going."

"To the new owner of the newspaper, I told you. Director Yoon Son-ha. "

My eyes opened wide. Yoon Son-ha? The owner of K Editure? Was that true? Why would she want to talk to me? 

I finally got in the car, but secretary Baek kept silent. If he were someone else, I would be scared. But he looked... kind. Once, a old lady crossed the road when she wasn't allowed to and insted of getting angry he smiled back to the apologetically smile the woman gave him. I think that these little things define a man's character. 

We arrived at our destination and he opened the door for me. The two security guards from the gate let us in. 

"Excuse me" secreatry Baek said "for not telling you too much. But I was warned that nobody has to know that Director Yoon is now the new owner of the newspaper. We will reveal this in a few days."

I entered again the living room, walking through the rooms that were more familiar to me now. 

"But why would she want to talk to me?" I asked 

"Because, miss Park, I trust you." a voice said 

I recongnized it. I bowed respectfully in front of Yoo Son-ha. After all, she was my new boss, right?

"Please, follow me to my office." she adressed me. Secretary Baek followed us. 

Her office was exactly how I expected: huge and luxurious, from the decorative flowers and paintures to the furniture. Actually, for me everything in that house was huge and luxurious. Too much for me. 

"Please take a sit, miss Park." Yoon Son-ha said. I sat. I was curious about my new responsabilities that I will have when the woman in front of me will be officially my boss.

"In a few days I will announce that I am the new director of Seoul News. Until then, actually even after, I want someone who was working at the newspaper before I bought it to work for me. I chose you, because we met and I find you a hardworker and loyal person. Call it... an assistant. But, of course, you will keep writing articles. What do you say?"

For me, more responsabilitis mean a more important job. Like a promotion. Could I refuse? Of corse not. I said I agree and I asked her what my responsabilities as her assistant will be. 

"As I said" she answered me "you will keep being a reporter. But when you don't take interviws or when you don't write anything for Seoul News, you will accompany me at the redaction, sometimes at my house, maybe some events, too-"

"Ajjussi!" a heard a familiar voice calling, interrupting director Yoon. I turned around and I saw  Kim Woo Bin entering the room. 

"Park Shin Hye?" he raised his eyebrow "What are you doing here?"

"Park Shin Hye?" his mother repeated confused "I remember when I introduced you two at the Library, but I didn't think you will get so close"

"She wrote an article about a case I worked at." he explained

"And about the cases you work at..." Yoon Son-ha said (she looked now like a real concerned mother ) "Where have you been in the past few days? This morning you came so tired and you slept until now. And it's lunch time!"

I looked again at Woo Bin. Yes, he was dressed casually: just a sweater and jeans. 

He walked cooly towards the huge TV in the room and press the turn on button. It was a news channel.

Three days ago the police recived an anonymous letter in which somebody confessed the murder of two women. Apparently, the two women had no conections, but after the investigation it resulted that the two women knew each other very well. Both of them were volunteers at an orphanage. The man who killed them was Baek Won, the director of the orphanage, who has been rejected by one of the women. The other murder wasn't planned. The case has been resolved by detective Kim Woo Bin who caught killer this morning, at 4:30AM, at 230 km away from Inchen Airoport. 

"Again a murder?" Yoon Son-ha said "It is dangerous"

"Somebody had to do it" Woo Bin answered calmly sitting on the couch "Now would you like to tell me what is going on here?"

"Miss Park will work from now on for me. You know I bought the Seoul News newspaper." his mother said then she turned her attention to me "That was all, assistant Park. Come here in two days. Early, maybe 8AM?"

I said I will come whenever she needs me, or something like that and she asked secretary Baek to call a cab for me. 

"I'm coming, too. I have to tell something to you, ajjussi" Woo Bin said. Then I realized who the ajjussi  he was looking for was. Weird way to adress a secretary, I thought.

"See you soon" Kim Woo Bin greeted me when I lef . 

"Yes, see you soon " I answered