Chapter 14

Unexpected Love

"How's it going?" I asked. My brother and Tan, his best friend and his classmate, were doing their homework in our living room.

"It's fine, but miss Sang exaggerated!" Saan complained

"It is just the second week of school and the homework is very complicated!" Tan joined him

"I am sure you teacher didn't ask for the impossible. You think you'll finish til tomorrow?" 

"Only if we don't do the homework for the other subjects-"

"Don't you even think about it, you'll write everything." I said bored

"Then can Tan sleep here tonight? We'll work until late."

I sighly frowned. I liked Tan, but I had to go out with Woo Bin that evening and one kid to care about was enough for me to worry about.

"I can't watch after you tonight."

"Then Saan can come over! Omma and appa will agree!"

"I will call them." I said. I knew before they could pick up their phone that they'll say yes. They lived in the neighborhood and were a happy couple. Tan's mother was nice and she could take care of Saan while I was out. My brother took what he needed and left to Tan's. My phone rang when they were on the point of leaving.

"Take care and call me!" I told him before answering the call "Yes, So Ra?"

"Hi. Do you by any chance have a copy of the new format of the paper?"

 I headed to the desk I had in one corner in my room."Uhm, the one you wanted to to present today to the directors?"

"There's no other one!" she sounded frustrated 

I found the copy in my desk "Yes, I got one. Why?"

She breathed out in relief "My ex-secretary, ex because I just fired her, managed to destroy the original. The meeting is at 7PM. Can you bring the file to me now? I gotta work on it. And you gotta help me."

I checked my watch 3:12. "Sure, I'll be there."

The copy I had was an early scheme of the final project and we had to work a lot on it. I was giving my best helping So Ra, but every now and then my eyes would check the watch. The meeting was at 7, just when Woo bin and I agreed to meet. We should be ready by then, but what if I don't have enough time to get ready? , I'd ask myself. 

After 3 hours of work the presentation was ready and just the way Kang So Ra and I, who were both a bit of a perfectionist, wanted it. I was hurrying, and on the stairs I almost knocked of Director Yoon. I tried to avoid her, but I made a wrong step and I found myself lying down the floor, feeling a great pain in my right leg. 

"Reporter Park, are you alright?"

I tried to stand. I bowed deeply. "I am sorry, Director."

"You didn't hit me, it's all right." I was lucky she wasn't no non-sense. If I had another boss, he would fire me or at least be angry. Probably that was what the other employees were thinking, too. Two guys passed by, but didn't help me. They must have tought that they shouldn't help the one who almost knocked off the boss. I heard steps coming from behind and how I didn't want to embarrass myself even more I started picking up my files from the floor.  What am I doing with so many papers?

"What happened?" The person behind me asked. I swallowed. I could not confuse the deep voice that spoke. 

"Nothing, son," Director Yoon said "just a little accident. Reporter Park feel down the stairs."

Woo Bin saw me and helped me pick up some files. I stood, leaning my weigh on my left leg since the right ankle was still hurting. 

"Here." he said and gave me the files. "Are you hurt?"

"Thanks...No, they were just two stairs... It wasn't a great heigh..."  I was avoiding long-time eye contact with them both. I was just in the situation I was afraid of. How do I act with Woo Bin in front of his mother? What must she have tought when he helped me?

"Thanks for driving me here, son. I have to go. I'll leave to the airport just after the meeting. Hope you'll feel better, reporter Park." 

I bowed "Have a nice trip, Director."

She continued her way up the stairs. 

"I thought you don't work today." he said 

"I had to help Kang So Ra, my friend, with something. I tought your mother's flight is at 4PM. Is almost 7, why is she still here?" I started walking to the exit.

"She wanted to see some new format of the paper, she'll leave in a few hours. Shin Hye, you're limping."

I was holding back grimaces. My high heels were making it harder for me to walk. I passed all my files and my bag on the left side and used my right hand to lean on Woo Bin. He offered me his arm. 

"Should we see a doctor?" he asked

"No. Definetly no. No doctor." I said. I avoid doctors as much as I can.

We arrived in the parking lot. "Then I'll drive you home." 

"You don't have to, if you are busy."

"You were my plan tonight, remember?" he said opening the door from his car. I just got in. I took off my shoe and leaned forward so I can massage my ankle. It hurted at my touch, but it couldn't be a luxation. I had one once and that time the pain was unbearable. 

I was relieved when I found myself on my comfortable couch. I really wasn't in the mood for anything else. 

"Isn't Saan home?" Woo Bin said sitting next to me.

"No, he'll spent the night at a friend." He took my legs and removed my shoes, then placed my legs in his lap. His touch was firm, but gentle.

"It doesn't hurt." I said "We shouldn't have spent the evening like this, sorry. We should have had dinner..."

"Well," he said checking his watch "we lost the reservation at the restaurant. Aich, I'm still hungry. Anyway, the point was to spend time together."

"We still can have dinner." I headed to the kitchen, thinking what I should cook. "If you don't mind to wait."

"Not at all. Can I help?" he rolled up his sleves. I looked over at him first because he looked so casually handsome after he made himself comfortable and second because... I didn't think he can cook.

"I'm serious. I may not be a chief, but I will not set your kitchen in fire." he smiled

I laughed. "All right. Let's start." I put some vegetables and a knife in front of him on the table and smiled to myself when he started cutting them. 

"Fine like that?" he asked. I just mumbled in approval and turned around to the fridge to take the meat. It was ready for the oven at the same time when Woo Bin finished his own job. I took a napkin and cleared the table. He helped me by washing the knives. The atmosphere was comforting. We simply talked about small things and laughed because of them as we sat the table. The smell of the food in the oven was delicious. I arranged the plates and took them to the dinning table in the living room. The balcony was close to the table and the view of the Seoul from the 5th floor was really beautiful at night. 

"It's not so different from the restaurant." I said

"Even better. You look great when you cook." 

Those were my exact thoughts about him. I bite my check to not smile and and took another bite from the delicius steak.

Just like we made dinner together, we cleaned together. When I came from the kitchen I found Woo Bin looking trough my DVDs.

"You got only old movies here?" 

I sat on the couch "I can watch the new ones on internet. Those were made for cinema, you don't find them eveywhere."

"But why this old? They are only Hollywood movies from the 30's here."

"And 40's."

He laughed. "You're right, this one is from 1941. They met in Bombay."

"Oh, oh, I didn't see that one yet, I just got it. It's with Rosalind Russel and Clark Gable."

"So what?"

"So what? Clark Gable!" 

"What can be so special about him?" He handed me the DVD. "Let's watch this one."  I hold back my laughter and put the DVD on. I turned off a few from the lights for better effect and made myself comfortable on the couch next to him. 

Clark Gable didn't impressed him too much. And that evening I was paying more attention to Woo Bin than to him. When time came he excused himself gallantly. It wasn't how I planned, but it was the best date ever.