One Step at a Time

Seulrene Drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence was never a good thing for the two of them.

From experience, it always ends up with Irene throwing a fit and Seulgi walking out on her.

Right now it was a nice thing to have someone else in the room.

Someone who can stop them from turning it into a screaming contest

Someone who can stop them from running away

“Aren’t you thankful Irene made time today, Seulgi?” Tiffany eye smiled and Seulgi smiled back in return.

Joohyun watched them but remained silent, unmoving.

Seulgi could only sigh.

“Hyun-ah… We promised we’d try.”

“You promised. I did not. Just because my sister thought this was going to help doesn’t mean it will.”

The tone surprised Tiffany but nonetheless allowed the couple to speak their mind.

“I think we owe it to ourselves to work this out. I have been trying hard Hyun-ah. Why can’t you let us just give it a try?” Seulgi turned to her wife obviously tired.

Tiffany could see her desperation to fix the marriage. Pitying the woman, she saw how Joohyun hardly looked back. Perhaps there was something blocking their openness. The way Joohyun would close her eyes when Seulgi spoke was an indication the woman’s words bothered her.

Was it because everything was really over?

Or was it because she was trying to distance herself?

“Let’s just get to know each other first. The mere fact that Joohyun is here tells us she wants the same thing Seulgi. She’s not just as vocal about it, so let’s not press the issue. Right, Joohyun? Or do you prefer your English name?”

“Joohyun…” The younger woman replied earning a smile from Tiffany.

“Now then, tell me how you two met. Since this is a couple’s therapy session, I want to know how you fell in love.”

“Uh…” Seulgi hesitated as she nervously tugged her turtleneck collar.

“She was my best friend’s girlfriend.” Joohyun replied her tone obviously irritated.

After all these years, Seulgi still found that fact awkward.

“Really?”

The couple nodded and looked at anything but Tiffany.

“Where is your best friend now?”

“She’s in Canada. Perfectly single at the moment…” Joohyun replied with a hint of venom in her tone.

“Where you still together when you met Joohyun?” Tiffany asked Seulgi to which the younger woman nodded to.

“I see… So when did the relationship start?”

Neither of the two said a word about the question. Tiffany heard Joohyun sigh while Seulgi rubbed her temple.

“With your silence it seems even at the inception of the relationship there have been unresolved issues.”

“There are no issues. She’s just a stupid dumb bear.” Joohyun finally answered with a glare shot at her wife.

“How come?”

“I was a substitute.” Joohyun began but the words forced Seulgi to sit upright.

“That’s not fair, Hyun-ah. You never were.”

“Oh really? You call having international phone calls nonsense? You barely even talk to your own brother.” Joohyun spat back.

“You should have just waited for Seungwan to realize she still loved you and have the courage to fight for you. You two would be married by now.”

The force in those last words died down and Tiffany could see the pain in Joohyun’s eyes.

“Would that be the case Seulgi? Would you have chosen her best friend over her if you were given a chance?”

“No.”

“Bull!” Joohyun stood up surprising the other two people in the room.

Tiffany held her hand and wordlessly asked her to sit back down.

“As you can see Seulgi, it is still hurting her. I think we should clear this out first. Joohyun, it’s okay. We’ll get answers from Seulgi.”

Joohyun took her seat and faced away from Seulgi who was now looking at her like a lost puppy.

“Tell me Seulgi, how was your relationship with Seungwan?”

“We were best friends too. More than friends less than lovers I guess.”

“You never were intimate with her?”

“No.” Seulgi replied without any dread.

“But you were her girlfriend.”

“She was introduced as such…” Joohyun mumbled still not looking the Seulgi or Tiffany.

“You were official then?”

“I suppose.”

“Why did you two break up? Does Joohyun know why you broke up?”

“We never told her because we didn’t want her to feel bad. We were all friends when it happened. We didn’t want her to choose.”

“So why?” Tiffany pressed and watched how Joohyun would side glance Seulgi but would quickly turn away.

“We felt we didn’t love each other that much. As much as lovers should…”

“Was it a mutual decision?”

“Yes.”

“Joohyun… At any point in time, did Seungwan tell you all this?”

“Yes, before she left for Canada. We weren’t together y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter