LOG 2

The Classified Accounts of Ami Hwang

“!” Lina screeches, jumping up. “ing- oh my- we’re screwed- !

 

“Close the website!” Preet cries, his voice unusually high-pitched.

 

“That won’t fix anything!” I scream. “Our location’s already been broadcasted to whoever’s running the site! We need to see if some sort of tracking software’s been placed- no, we need to ditch this laptop altogether!”

 

“Ditch the- you’re joking!” Preet claps his hands to his mouth. “Do you know what kind of laptop this is? This is the new Apple Macbook Air with nearly 128 GB of-,”

 

Annabelle tugs the computer from him. “I don’t care? Do you want to die?”

 

“I’d rather die than sacrifice my baby!” Preet roars.

 

Marcus stands up. “We need to leave,” he states. The commotion in the room comes to a halt.

 

The walls seem to be closing in on us. My chest feels horribly tight and uncomfortable; is this actually happening? What have I gotten myself into? I’m going to be murdered like that guy on the website!

 

“Everyone, let’s calm down.” Lina stands up. “Here’s what we’re going to do. First of all, Preet, I need you to run a total reset on your computer. Wipe it clean of everything.”

 

Preet looks incredibly pissed off, but he nods.

 

“Then... sorry, Preet, but here’s what we’ll have to do...,”

 

When Lina finishes speaking, every single jaw in the room is hanging open.

 

“You’re crazy,” I breathe. “You- you’ve been watching too many Mission Impossible movies!”

 

“I’m sorry, Lina, but this plan is too much.” Annabelle states in a matter-of-fact tone.

 

Preet slowly shakes his head in horror. “We’re not doing this. We’re not doing this. What have you been smoking-,”

 

“Shut up!” Lina shouts. “Like Ami said, the administrator of the 4 Flames website could be pinpointing our exact location right now. And if they find us... what are we going to do? We need to throw them off the trail.”

 

Marcus nods. “I agree,” he firmly tells us.

 

After exchanging a reluctant glance with Preet, I slowly nod.

 

“Fine.”

 


 

The bus is jam-packed with commuters traveling home from work. I see Lina smile with satisfaction from the corner of my eye. Just as she predicted.

 

“Excuse me,” Marcus says, maneuvering  around several men and women holding onto straphangers from the ceiling. His shirt is unnaturally bulky in the front. Finally, he manages to find a spot to stand amongst several other passengers. When Marcus secures his position, the rest of us form a compact circle around him.

 

“I have to tie my shoelace,” Lina announces, and squats down amidst the feet of the disgruntled travellers. Shifting my body to ensure that she is completely blocked from everyone’s vision, I nod to Annabelle, who in turn nudges Marcus. Slowly, he slides the MacBook into Lina’s hands.

 

“Next stop, Carroll Street,” a tinny voice announces over the bus speakers. People stand up, grabbing their bags to leave the train. I hiss, “Hurry!” from the side of my mouth, and in the next moment, Lina has tucked the laptop behind a bus seat and leaped up.

 

“Let’s go,” she says, and we hurry off the bus.

 

“I feel like this was all completely unnecessary,” Preet grumbles. “That was a MacBook Air. Its operating system runs on-,”

 

“It’s better to be safe than sorry,” Annabelle sighs, speaking over him. We trudge away from the bus stop along the deserted road. “So, theoretically, if the hard drive wipe didn’t eliminate any tracking or spy software on Preet’s laptop, our location would be partially hidden because we ditched the laptop on the bus.”

 

“Hopefully we’re just being paranoid,” Marcus says. “But if they really can still track the laptop, they must know that we’re in the Brookhaven area. So we’re still kind of dead.”

 

Annabelle exhales loudly. “Jeez, I have a headache. All of this feels so...,”

 

“Surreal.” Lina shakes her head. “Well, this is the culmination of months worth of work and research. It’s just Ami who finally got us in.”

 

“-and a 0.68-inch unibody design!” Preet babbles. “Do you know how light it was? It was barely over 2.3 pounds-,”

 

“I completely regret breaking into that website,” I groan. “Even if it was for a good cause. Messing with a gang? Possibly being tracked by them? Buying a bus ticket just to pull that little stunt? This feels like a crappy Spy Kids movie!”

 

Preet whips his head around, cutting short his monologue. His eyes angrily glare at me behind thick lenses. “Hey! Don’t on Spy Kids!”

 

“Really? You really want to get into this with me? Over Spy Kids?” I bark, crossing my arms. “Preet, you are so pathetic-,”

 

“Yeah? Well at least I have friends! You’re just a to everyone-,”

 

“So? Why should I care if the meatheaded Neanderthals in our school like me or not-,”

 

“Cut it out, you two!” Marcus bellows. Preet and I angrily clamp our mouths shut. “Stop fighting.”

 

There is total silence for a good 5 minutes, save for the wind blowing miserable whispers in our ears. I grumpily scuff my feet along the sidewalk. My insides are filled with resentment. You should’ve never helped them, I berate myself.  They all totally .

 

“I’m going home,” Annabelle finally mutters. “I hope we’re all alive tomorrow morning.”

 

Preet stands up. “I’m leaving, too. And I hope we’re all alive, too... well, I hope most of us are alive.” He stares daggers at me. I subtly flick him off.

 

Marcus departs as well, and finally, it is just me and Lina.

 

“I’m sorry for dragging you into all this,” she tells me.

 

I ignore her, scowling.

 

“I’m leaving, okay?” Lina continues. “Do you need a ride home?”

 

Despite my pride, I have to admit that I don’t want to walk 10 miles home. “Yes, please,” I respond stiffly, and follow her to her car.

 


 

“Location confirmed,” a cool voice speaks. He is standing behind a row of pruned emerald bushes, the darkness concealing his face. An occasional car whizzes by on the road in front of him. In the distance, however, a large set of headlights is quickly approaching him.

 

After double-checking his tracking device, the man’s jaw clenches. The infiltrant is on the approaching bus.

 

“Single elimination, or total eradication?” he asks the person on the other end of the line.

 

There is a pause. Finally, the man’s correspondent commands, “Total eradication.”

 

A smile curves the lips of the man. His dark brown hair rustles in the breeze.

 

“Perfect,” he grins.

 

Withdrawing a thin black ball from his pocket, he awaits the large vehicle. The tracker on his waist beeps faster and faster as the distance between him and the bus lessens.

 

“3... 2... 1.” When the bus is at a 45 degree angle from him, the man flings the ball towards the vehicle and immediately sprints away. The instant it makes contact with the bus, the flimsy outer casing of the ball dissolves, releasing a pitch black, tar-like substance. If one were to examine it from up close, he would find it almost similar to pond slime.

 

However, it would be incredibly difficult to examine the material up close, seeing as how it combusts approximately 6 seconds after it touches the side of the bus.

 

And creates an explosion so large the man can feel the impact shaking his bones.

 

    The man springs up from his shelter spot. He knows he only has a few more seconds to confirm that his targets are dead- before others arrive on the scene.

 

    After retrieving a pencil-thin steel rod from the carabiner hanging at his side, the man presses a faint indentation at the tip of the object. The rod turns warm in his hands.

 

    “Scanning complete,” a modulated voice declares. “Display scene?”

 

    “Yes.”

 

    The rod expands and separates, revealing a thin green screen. A 3-D image of the scene is imposed on the display. He scans the image for a laptop.

 

    One form of human biomatter was present at the scene,” the voice asserts. “Its remains are located at the northmost point of the scene.”

 

    He finds the laptop. His eyes widen.

 

    “That can’t be,” he hisses. “Repeat the location of the human biomatter.”

 

    “Its remains are located at the northmost point of the scene,” the rod repeats.

 

    His eyes dart back and forth the picture. The only person on the bus was at the front of the vehicle; presumably the driver. However, the laptop is located towards the back of the bus, partially hidden under a pile of rubble. The driver could not have been able to access the laptop. The man urgently searches up the bus schedule for this area on his phone. His search confirms the conclusion he drew from the position of the driver.

 

    “He’s been driving nonstop the entire day, with 45-minute breaks at 11 AM, 2 PM, 5 PM, and 8 PM,” the man murmurs. “The hack occurred at 6:12 PM. It doesn’t match up.”

 

    Which means the hacker must have either escaped from the bus...

 

    ...or completely fooled them.

 

    !” the man curses.

 


 

    As I plod through the halls of Brookhaven High School the next morning, I consider the pros and cons of the day:

 

    Pro: I wasn’t murdered in my sleep.

 

    Con: I didn’t get any sleep.

 

  Pro: The 4 Flames haven’t found us yet.

 

    Con: They probably will find us.

 

    Pro: I haven’t seen Lina, Marcus, Preet, or Annabelle all day.

 

    Con: I have just arrived at school. I am probably going to see them in 10 minutes.

    

    So far, the cons of this situation are massively outweighing the pros. As I rub at my eyes and try not to collapse on the spot, I think about how y my life is. Why, oh why did I have to do that yesterday? Why do I do risky things? What possessed me to potentially sacrifice my GPA and my organs just to hack into some advanced gang website-

 

    Someone hits my shoulder and I stumble backwards.

 

    “Watch where you’re going,” an arrogant voice snarks.

 

    I narrow my eyes. God, no. It’s too early in the morning to deal with this ing tool.

 

    “You bumped into me, ,” I snarl, and try to push past him. Unfortunately, this moron’s entire gang of obnoxious s is surrounding him. They block my path, yelling, “Whoaaa! Jungkook, are you gonna take that?”

 

    Idiots. Complete idiots.

 

    “Tell your friends to move,” I hiss.

 

    Jungkook crosses his arms. “Hmm, Jimin, what do you think I should do?”

 

    “I think you should let her go after an apology.” Jimin, another one of Jungkook’s -head friends, replies in a smarmy tone.

 

I let out a loud scoff. “Bite me.”

 

“Well, if you insist,” Jungkook smirks, and I roll my eyes in disgust.

 

“This is ridiculous,” I mutter. The warning bell rings. Great, now I’m going to be late to class! This day couldn’t get any better!

 

“I’m not moving without an apology.” Jungkook glares down at me, all traces of humor gone from his face.

 

The situation is about to turn into a standoff between me and these bratty boys. Suddenly, however, someone yanks me back.

 

“Sorry!” Lina shrieks. “She didn’t get enough sleep last night. You know how Ami can get when she hasn’t had her, uh, morning cappuccino.”

 

Jungkook quirks an eyebrow. “She hates coffee.”

 

I throw him a strange look. “How did you know that?”

 

“I’ve conducted various surveys on your dislikes, so I can know what to bombard you with every day.”

 

“Aww, you care that much about me, Kookie? That’s so sweet of you!”

 

“Okay!” Lina coughs, noting Jungkook's murderous expression. “We’re leaving! Sorry! Bye!” And I am reluctantly dragged away by the straps of my backpack by Lina Nguyen.

 

“Why did you do that?” I ask rather grouchily.

 

She smiles. “Because I’m a nice person? And I don’t want to see you get into another fight with Jungkook. You two were vicious to each other in Pre-Calculus last year.”

 

“I hate Jungkook,” I glower. “I hate mornings. I hate getting home late and double-checking my locks and being too freaked out to sleep. I hate everything.”

 

Lina is silent as we walk down B hall to our respective first periods. Finally, she says, “How’re you doing after... yesterday?”

 

“How do you think I’m doing?”

 

“Sorry.” Lina gives me a sympathetic smile. “I saw Preet earlier this morning. He looks just as bad as you... not that you look bad.”

 

“You’re too kind.”

 

“Listen...,” Lina steps in front of me, blocking my path. “I think we all need to stick together. Who knows what’ll happen.”

 

“Uh, no.” I push past her. “I’m not interested.”

 

“Ami, don’t be stupid!” she calls after me, but I ignore her.

Screw everything. I don't need this.