LOG 25

The Classified Accounts of Ami Hwang

We are all standing in a circle. The tension in the air is so thick that it is stifling. For the first time ever, I do not trust the presence of those who I am with.

 

Lina takes a deep breath.

 

“You guys don’t understand,” she says in a low voice. “I didn’t- I didn’t ask for any of it. I didn’t know what they did- god, I just thought it was a law firm. I thought all the fancy parties they took me to were hosted by other rich people, and I thought the strange people I met were their clients. I didn’t find out until... later.”

 

“Find out what?” Annabelle asks exasperatedly.

 

“My mother is the chairwoman of Fulton & Park,” Lina responds stonily. “Fulton & Park is the cover company for the Seven Stars.”

 

It feels like I have been relentlessly barraged with mind bombs for the past 24 hours. Marge is Camille. Jungkook is kissing me. Project Cotton is wreaking havoc on the world.

 

And now, apparently, Lina Nguyen, my best friend, is the heir to the Seven Stars.

 

“Stop looking at me like that!” Lina shrieks, balling her fists. “I didn’t know! I left as soon as I found out-,”

 

“Shhh.” Marcus wraps an arm around her, guides her to the sofa. “It’s okay, Lina. It’s okay.”

 

“I found out when I was 14,” she tells us. Her voice is trembling. “It was before BTS moved to Brookhaven High. Yoongi and I met at a party, and- and I really, really liked him. I didn’t know his reputation, or that he was a part of the 4 Flames, or anything else about him. We dated in secret for months. I thought we would be together forever.” Lina lets out a bitter laugh.

 

“What happened?” I murmur.

 

“He was a plant,” Lina scoffs. “The 4 Flames had tasked him to gain my trust and obtain inside info about the Seven Stars. I caught him sending files from my mom’s computer to an unknown email address. When I confronted him, he laughed at me. Said that he’d got everything that he’d wanted, so he’d do me a favor and tell me the truth.”

 

“That’s terrible. Yoongi, that bastard-,”

 

“He came to Brookhaven High the next year and acted like I didn’t exist. But still, he never trusted me... or Ami. When you joined the 4 Flames, he realized that we were friends. He probably drew his own conclusions.”

 

Preet furrows his eyebrows. “Then why didn’t he tell BTS? Why didn’t the rest of BTS recognize you, anyway?”

 

“Because Yoongi’s mission was confidential. He was the only one in BTS who knew my true identity.” Lina pauses. “I knew Chanyeol and Baekhyun would immediately recognize me, though. My parents have introduced me to them at parties.”

 

“So your parents are a part of the Seven Stars,” Annabelle breathes. “And all this time we’ve been searching for Kyle’s death, that Ami’s been risking her life undercover, that we’ve been confused and scared and worried- you never told us this?”

 

“I’m completely cut off from my parents. I barely talk to them, and I don’t know anything about the Seven Stars. I’m not associated with it in any way-,”

 

“But you are.” Annabelle is fuming. It is a sight I have never seen before.

 

Annabelle, scared? Worried? Concerned? Yes.

 

Annabelle, angry? Never.

 

“So today, of all days, you decide to use your Seven Stars connection to get us files that we needed?” Annabelle continues, a hardened look on her face. “We could’ve gotten those months ago. Ami wouldn’t have had to put herself in danger with the 4 Flames!”

 

“If I had known that the Seven Stars had Kyle’s files, then I would’ve gotten them ages ago!” Lina exclaims. “I’m really sorry, Anna.”

 

“God, Lina.” Annabelle rubs her temples, the angry expression on her face replaced with disappointment. Somehow, that makes Lina look even more ashamed. “I just... I don’t know what to tell you.”

 

“How was I supposed to tell you? ‘Hey, guys, turns out my family’s at the head of a crime syndicate! You can still come over if you want?’ Would you have even believed me?”

 

Annabelle and Preet exchange a guilty look. Annabelle slinks back in her seat.

 

“Do you have anything else to tell us?” Marcus questions. Lina shakes her head.

 

“I virtually know nothing about the Seven Stars. The only obligation I have to my parents is one party a year. That’s it.”

 

Something tugs at the back of my brain. “When was your last party?”

 

Lina fidgets uneasily. “At Christmastime.”

 

“You were at the Christmas Ball, weren’t you.”

 

“Well... yeah.”

 

“Did you see me?”

 

“Yeah. You were pretty close to seeing me, too.”

 

My eyes widen. “Wait. Wait a minute. Please don’t tell me you were the girl that Yoongi was-,”

 

“Yeah, I was.” Lina cringes. “He confronted me outside. And then you and Jungkook came and- well- he tried to cover my face-,”

 

“Okay.” I close my eyes and take a deep breath in. Marcus throws me a quizzical look and I shake my head.

 

“So what do we do about Project Cotton?” Preet asks, his tone defeated. He refuses to look at Lina.

 

“Let’s bomb the place,” Lina suggests.

 

I scoff. “You’re joking right?”

 

“How about this.” Preet clasps his hands together. “We go to Yohan, get all the files we can, and send them to every major news agency and international organization we know?”

 

“I don’t really think we have another option,” Annabelle whispers after a long silence. “What else can we do?”

 

“Okay, fine.” I grab my things. “Lina, drop me off at Yohan, and I’ll go and get everything I can.”

 

    “We’re coming with you,” Marcus says firmly. Everyone else nods in agreement.

 

    “No! That’s a terrible idea. How many security alerts do you think it would set off if 4 unauthorized visitors came in with me?”

 

    “We’ll stay in the car.”

 

    “Marcus, no.

 

    He grits his teeth. “What if something happens?”

 

    “What’s going to happen? And I love you guys, but what could you do about it?”

 

    Preet frowns. “She’s right. Ami, just... please. Get there, get the files, and get out.”

 

    “It’s not big deal, really. I work at Yohan. Everyone knows me. No one will be suspicious.”

 

    Annabelle wraps me in a tight squeeze. “Good luck, Ami. Stay safe. And you too, Lina.” She hugs Lina, who looks pleasantly surprised.

 

    “Love you, Anna,” Lina murmurs. Over Annabelle’s shoulder, she exchanges a small smile with Preet. Somehow, there is a deep level of understanding that passes between them, possible only through years and years of close friendship.

 

    “Don’t miss me too much,” Lina mouths to him. Preet smirks.

 

    “Goodbye, you two,” Marcus says, clapping Lina and I on the back.

 


 

    The ride there is silent, tense, anxious.

 

I nervous fidget with the hem of my sweater.

 

My body is shaking, and it’s not because of the cold.

 

“I’m scared,” Lina squeaks, her knuckles white on the steering wheel. I look at her, trying to suppress the queasy feeling in my stomach.

 

“What do you think’s going to happen after this?” I murmur.

 

“The 4 Flames will be destroyed, of course. Everyone involved will go to jail. I’m sure you’ll get full immunity, since you’re the whistleblower.”

 

“How about... BTS?”

 

Lina’s face hardens. “That’s not our problem.”

 

“But they’re my friends. And I like Jungkook. I mean like like him. As in I want to really date him-,”

 

"Stop it, Ami." There is a strange look in Lina's eyes. "You're just going to get yourself hurt. These gang bastards always have an ulterior motive, or a scheme they're cooking up."

 

"Lina...," I stare at her uneasily. "Do you still have feelings for Yoongi?"

 

"Of course not."

 

"Lina."

 

"Stop it, Ami. What do you want me to tell you?" Her jaw is clenched. "Yes, I still like the guy who manipulated me and ruined my life? Yes, I still like the guy who's a ruthless gang member and destroys innocent people every single day? Think about what I'm saying, Ami. Can't these things be applied to Jungkook, too?"

 

I jerk back in shock.

 

No. He's different. He's really different, seriously.

 

He has to be different.

 

He's not.

 

I know he's not.

 

"I should be worrying more about Fulton & Park," Lina says. "I need to protect my parents, the conniving bastards that they are. If the police find out about the 4 Flames and seize their files, the Seven Stars' name is one of the first that will come up."

 

“I'll help. I'll try to remotely erase files pertaining to your parents.... I mean, it'll be really hard, since your mom's the leader of the Seven Stars and your dad's probably really important, too, but-,"

 

"Ami." Lina rests a hand on my arm. A slight smile plays on her lips. "I got you."

 

I smile back at her.

 

We drive on in nervous anticipation.

 


 

The Yohan building is always eerily lit at night, like it’s glowing brightly from the inside. It’s a strangely unsettling juxtaposition against its pitch-black surroundings.

 

“Wait here for me. I’ll be back in 20 minutes,” I instruct Lina, and tear off towards the entrance. The receptionist nods at me as I slide into the elevator and hurriedly press “21”. I impatiently tap my foot against the floor, waiting, waiting. The elevator seems to move at a snail’s pace.

 

Floor 15.  

 

Suddenly, my phone buzzes with a text.

 

Floor 16.

 

I look down at the screen.

 

Marge: RUN

 

     Floor 17.

 

My eyes widen. A panicked feeling claws at my throat as I stare down at Marge’s ominously short message. She rarely texts me, always preferring to call instead.

 

Floor 18.

 

They must have found out.

 

“!” I swear. I need to get away! I need to get out of here!

 

Floor 19.

 

My gaze darts onto the elevator panel. I slam my hand onto Floor 20, praying that it isn’t too late-

 

The doors immediately slide open. A short sigh of relief escapes my mouth. If I had pressed it a second later, I would’ve missed the floor. I sprint out the elevator onto Floor 20, what looks to be an empty hallway with standard, identical doors lining the walls. At the end of the hallway, a manila-colored steel door catches my eye. A bright red “EXIT” sign sits above it on the wall.

 

There must be a staircase there, I think, and sprint as fast as I can towards the door, my lungs burning and my legs aching as I run, run, run, only the thought of survival in my mind-

Something slams into me so hard that I go sprawling to the floor. The wind is completely knocked out of me; in another flash my arms are pinned to the ground and a hand is pressing down on my throat.

I'm dead.

 


 

A/N: I am hardcore regretting not making my chapters shorter.... if i had then the pacing wouldn't have been so ed up LOLOL and the "25 chapters" thing is so misleading this story is actually longer than "Betray me Not" & all my other stories smh but i uploaded more onto every chapter so it seems shorter

AND GUYS CHILL I'M FINISHING THIS STORY LOL I WAS JUST DEBATING WHETHER TO MAKE A SEQUEL OR JUST TO CONTINUE UPLOADING CHAPTERS TO THIS STORY JESUS CHRIST