The Date | II.

Sugar (you're sweet)
 
 
 
 
 
When Jaebum wakes up, he blinks rapidly to full awareness, grabbing his phone from the night stand to check the time.
 
He's got a few missed calls and messages that he'll check later, opting to simply check the one from Jr that says to come to the barbecue place that Jackson has been obsessed with lately. Luckily the message is from eight minutes ago so he quickly responds that he'll be there in ten minutes. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Where's Charlie?" Jr asks before Jaebum can even sit down. 
 
Jaebum just grumbles in response, not really making any sense as he grabs a menu, scanning its contents with mild interest. 
 
"What?" Jr's face scrunches up in a mixture of confusion at Jaebum's incoherence and concern at his foul mood. 
 
"She's on a date" Is the reply, grumbled and accompanied by a small frown. 
 
"But you're right here" Jackson speaks up, barbecue sauce smeared all over his face. 
 
Jaebum has a mild coughing fit, face heating up. Jr looks startled, shoving a glass of water his way.
 
"So?" Jaebum inquires. 
 
Jackson doesn't really reply, just smirks like he knows everything.
 
Jaebum doesn't think he does.
 
The conversation carries on smoothly after that, there's laughter and plenty of smiles and Jaebum has almost completely forgotten about the whole date thing.
 
That is until he glances outside of the window. His eyes widen as he straightens in his chair, jerking his thumb toward the window. 
 
"It's them!" He exclaims quietly.
 
Sure enough, at the more reserved looking restaurant across the street are Charlie and her date. Kevin is talking animatedly , completely oblivious to the girl across from him, while Charlie looks like she's struggling to feign interest and stay awake all together, her head resting on her hands as she nods unenthusiastically with hooded eyes.
 
"She looks bored" Jaebum concludes.
 
"She looks tired"Jr adds, concern etched onto his features.
 
"She looks good" Jackson comments, wiggling his eyebrows as he vigorously wipes barbecue sauce from his face. 
 
He shrugs at Jaebum's glare.
 
"You are right though . She does look bored, which is why we are going to save her." He continues, dropping his napkin with a devious smirk. 
 
Jaebum looks all in.
 
"We are?" Jr asks, sipping his milkshake with a small frown as the pair begin to form a plan.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Charlie is exhausted.
 
She also feels a little bad. Kevin is very sweet and a true gentlemen and here she couldn't even pay attention to what he was saying, or stay awake really.
 
Her eyes felt more heavy with each passing second and she felt as if she would pass out any minute, but poor Kevin seemed oblivious, rambling enthusiastically.
 
She could check him off on awareness. 
 
"Charlie!"
 
Her head snaps up at the calling of her name, that and she recognizes the voice.
 
"Who is that?" Kevin asks, glancing back nervously.
 
Charlie only has time to blink before Jackson is before her, grabbing her hands in his and leaning in, looking at her with much remorse.
 
"Charlie look, I know I messed up but please, forgive me. My family loves you, my friends love you, I love you. I know I messed up but I'm here to make it right." He says, earnestly. 
 
"Jackson what-" She starts because she's not really sure what this is. 
 
"Marry me" Jackson prompts.
 
Then he's down on one knee, squeezing her hand. By now they've got everyone's attention and they're staring, awaiting her reply. Even Kevin is staring at her in anticipation. 
 
"Will you marry me Charlie Gozi?"
 
There's a small pause in which Charlie wants to say no, but then an elderly man in the chair behind her speaks up, smile kind and voice soft.
 
"Well, aren't you going to say yes to the young man?"
 
She's not really in a position to say no at this point.
 
"Okay-" She relents
 
"She said yes!" Jackson exclaims, pulling her into a hug. 
 
Kevin looks scandalized, jumping up and scurrying out. 
 
The restaurant bursts into cheers of joy and congratulations, but Charlie isn't really expecting for Jackson to place his lips on her cheek. 
 
She smiles anyway, accepting what she recognizes as the ring she bought Jaebum for his birthday. 
 
He has some explaining to do, she thinks.
 
 
 
 
 
"I think we sent the wrong person" Jr mumbles as they watch the restaurant burst into what looks like cheers and applause.
 
Jackson and Charlie are embracing and Kevin looks severely embarrassed, scurrying out of the restaurant.
 
Jaebum is grinning triumphantly and it doesn't falter when Jackson kisses Charlie on the cheek, instead it falls completely as Jaebum jumps up and storms across the street.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jackson is helping Charlie down the stairs of the restaurant, her hand locked on top of his when Jaebum approaches.
 
"Yah Wang! What was that kiss?" He exclaims, pulling the other into a tight headlock. 
 
"It was on the cheek!" Jackson squawks , face flushed as he flails. 
 
"I knew you were apart of this. Im Jaebum you ruined my date!" Charlie shrieks, whacking Jaebum with her clutch. He releases his hold on Jackson, rubbing his arm.
 
"It was Jackson!" He whines, pouting. She ignores him, breezing past him to where she knows Jr is.
 
"Hey! Only because you told me to!" Jackson points, hurrying beside her so Jaebum can't cause him any further harm.
 
"I didn't tell you to kiss her!" Jaebum glares.
 
"It was on the cheek!" 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's later on that night when she asks. It's almost midnight and they're back at her place cuddled in bed. She's wearing one of his t shirts and it's a bit oversized but fulfills it's purpose, and Jaebum is secretly pleased. 
 
"Why did you ruin my date, Jaebum?"
 
Her voice is softer than usual, but when he glances down at her face she looks more curious than anything.
 
"I didn't, Jackson did. Besides, he wasn't the right guy" Surprisingly, his reply comes easy and he thinks he's in the clear but she just scoffs and presses further.
 
"How do you know what? How will I know when I've found the one then?"
 
Jaebum wants to say "you already have", but doesn't really have that kind of courage so he just sighs.
 
"You won't look so bored and fall asleep on your date"
 
"I wasn't falling asleep!" She exclaims, slapping his arm, grinning.
 
"You didn't look too awake either" He smirks. 
 
"Jaebum!" She shrieks, punching his arm.
 
"Charlie!"He mimics, laughing. 
 
She rolls her eyes and snuggles closer to him anyway. As soon as her head hits his chest she passes out, her exhaustion finally getting the best of her.
 
Jaebum just watches, the way her lashes curl and her lips part, how she clutches to his shirt like he'll disappear any moment, listens to her light snores. 
 
He pulls her closer and thinks that this exactly where he belongs.