Chapter 5

The Team

“So did you fall off the chair because of your clumsiness?” JoongKi joked while he sat down with two hot beverages in his hands. He handed one to Roo and Roo took it, not before muttering a soft Thank you.

“If you haven’t realised yet, I am a basketball player”

“Yeah, I haven’t realise you were a klutz” Roo shot him a look, asking him to shut up. “Okay, enough of all these” He changed into a serious expression upon looking at the look at Roo. “So what really happened?”

“I fell? During the competition?”

“You fell? During the competition?” He mimicked her.

“Yeah”

“Then care to explain how you fall that had you crush your bone?”

“Right, I forget the big bro is a doctor.”

“Yes, so tell me the truth before I tell mum”

“Well, everyone gets injured while playing sports. It’s just that the opposite team happened to be rougher than expected. I was knocked off in mid-air, and I fell from mid-air.” She chose her words carefully.

“How bad was it?”

“I have to give up my passion” She didn’t dare look at her brother, she didn’t want to reveal too much emotion, and just focused on meddling with her fingers, biting her lips. “It was Comminuted Fracture…”

“Dongsaeng ah…”

“Don’t ever dare pity me” She said firmly, even when she was not confident enough to look at her brother. He knew how much she hates pity.

“We can always find another passion.”

“Everyone is telling me that, but it’s not that easy. It’s not searching for a clothes to wear, we don’t just find it overnight.”

“Of course it’s not easy, but you always have me and mum around.”

“I actually have something in mind.” She stealthily looked at JoongKi.

“And that is?”

“I am going to stay in TongYeong, I am enrolling into Richmond.” She brought up with determination in her eyes.

“wait-what?! You mean Richmond High school in our neighbourhood?”

“Yeah, is there a problem?”

“Do you even know that school? Do you know how bad their reputation is?”

“Well big bro, do you trust me?” He nodded, “then it’s settled. I am going to Richmond, I’m not going to get bad influenced”


Roo had gotten an earful from her mom after her brother told their mom about her wanting to move to Richmond. However, she had swum her way through on getting her mom to agree by guilt tripping her, and a few acting here and there.

Without wasting any more time, she figured out that registering for the admission to the school the next day was the best choice. She was going to stay here for good anyway, so the longer she dreads, she was just going to waste more time.

“Do you want to start school today or when?” The counter lady asked her without even giving her a glance. Who the hell asks this question. Doesn’t all school start on the admission day itself?

“I would be glad to attend it today”

“Impressive student, but sad to say, our school doesn’t have female basketball team.”

“That can be discussed another day” She grabbed her timetable, uniform and books before heading off to change.

Roo arrived in her first class and was more than surprised to see the state of her homeroom class. It was more like a monkey show time rather than lesson time. She was introduced to a class that gave no dam about her. It’s not like she gave a dam anyway. She walked to the empty seat at the back with her crutches and sat down. Beside her was an empty seat. She figured that her desk partner was not going to attend the lesson, either that or she wasn’t even going to have a desk partner.

Saving the trouble to move up and down the stairs for lunch, she just stayed in the classroom. She reminded herself to pack her own lunch for the next few weeks before she can at least walk without crutches. She was left alone when everyone else rushed out for lunch.

“Park Bo Gu-“ Roo was filling up her book when she heard someone barged in to the classroom looking for someone that she doesn’t know who it was, and didn’t bother entertaining him though she knew she definitely see her at the court the other day. “oh, I know you”

Roo just glanced at him before returning back to what she was doing.

“Hey, it’s not nice to ignore people” ChanWoo… it reminded her so much of him. To say that she did not miss anything in Seoul was a lie. “I am Nam Joo Hyuk, we met at the street basketball court right?”

“Yeah”

“And your name?”

“Roo”

“Roo? That’s unique, your real name?”

“My first name”

“Oh” he nodded in understanding before he glanced down at her casted leg, “injured your leg?”

“Are you from the basketball team?” She asked, brushing off his question.

“Yeah, is there any problem?”

“How many games have y’all won the last season?”

Feeling embarrassed, he lowered down his head. But that 190 height was not helping. “4wins, 21 losses”

“Who’s your teaching in charge? Can you bring me to him after school today?”

“Erm… sure?” He answered uncertainly.


Walking through the quiet part of the school was the sports hall that only the basketball players trained here. The teacher in charge desk was situated in the building itself beside their locker room so that they would not cause any troubles at all time. Well, if it helps, it won’t be called Richmond.

JooHyuk knocked on the door three times before turning the door knob and went in, without even waiting for the teacher to call him in.

“Yes can I help you?”

“This lady here wants to talk to you instead” He pointed at Roo. The teacher in charge was an old man in probably his late 50s, with spectacles hanging loosely on his nose bridge.

“Can I help you young lady?”

“Just call me Roo, Mr-“

“Mr Park, and what is it that you need to tell me?” He offered Roo a seat looking at her condition but she rejected.

“Well, if JooHyuk you could excuse yourself?” Roo expected him to leave but he was still standing there. He was unsure of leaving the new girl here in this rundown hall with all those basketballers. He agreed in the end and decided to wait outside the room for her.

“Well?”

“I supposed you know me? Karls Roo Ji Hyun”

“Yeah, the new transferee from Whimoon”

“Then you should’ve also known what I’ve done for my team up til now?”

“hmm… let’s see, Most valuable player for straight 5 years, Defensive player of the year for 3 years, Rookie of the year, Honors of All-Defensive Team, All-rookie Team, Teammate of the year.” He awed at the number of awards Roo had. He took a look at Roo and back at the paper on his hand, “so… you have something in mind? Well, just to let you know ahead of time that Richmond will never ever open a women’s team, if you have that thought, I suggest you to give it up now”

“Well, that’s not what I have in mind”

“Then?”

“I want to join the team”

“You do know the rules on court, there’s no mix gender game”

“but there’s female coaches, may I remind you, Mr Park.”

“You mean you want to…”

“Yes, I want to be the coach for Richmond basketball team”

“You must be kidding me” He hissed, giving her a judging look, “What are you thinking about”

“About being a coach for your school’s lousy team?” She said with so much confident that it irks Mr Park. “Well, I am sure if you are only winning 4 games in a season, changing a coach is the right choice.”

“It’s impossible for you to be the coach, moreover, with a broken leg?”

“How is that impossible? Firstly, there are no such rule that a student cannot be a coach. Even if there is such rule, then I will quit this school right away. Secondly, I am not asking to be paid, so it’s a win-win to both party. Thirdly, I think I am more than qualified to be a coach in NBA level. Lastly, this team is clearly in need of help, no, this school is in need of help. Even with a broken leg, I can sure do a better job that your current coach that doesn’t give a dam about your basketballers.”

Mr Park was lost for words. He always does. He was not good with come backs and he knew better than anyone else that the team needs someone like Roo, who have passion for basketball. He thinks that the skills weren’t a problem to Roo, but he didn’t think that she will be able to handle those boys.

“I won’t be a nuisance. I am still going to be a normal student during curriculum hour, and a responsible coach during trainings.”

“I…” Before he could even say anything, Roo cut him off.

“If you have nothing to say, then it’s settle. I see that your coach isn’t doing any job either” She peeked in to the gym that was viewable from the room, and saw the coach sitting there alone using his phone. “Save yourself a trouble and fire him. I promise to do a better job”

“How are you going to prove to me?”

“Well, the national competitions are coming up in 5 months’ times, if the team doesn’t get in to top 10, then I’ll quit. I just need 5 months” She determined.

“5 months,” he laughed, “how naïve, you think 5 months can change those kids? Well, good luck to you”

“I will see you tomorrow during training Mr Park” She ignored his sarcasm and left the room to see JooHyuk outside the room smiling at her. She walked passed him and left for home.