Chapter 3

The Team

“Noo~na~” ChanWoo Singed as he glided in to the room. He stopped on track when he saw how concentrated Roo were. She was sweating, biting her lips, and face crunched up in discomfort. Roo was having a simple therapy session with her doctor for post-surgery check-up early in the morning. May I emphasize, SIMPLE therapy, but she was already having a hard time. He just stood by the side and watch the doctor finish up what he was doing.

“Your surgery is a successful one Miss Karls. But you would still need to be very careful. Don’t let your leg touches the ground. Your bone is still very weak” Roo nodded in understanding.

Chanwoo thanked the doctor as her walked pass him to the door.

“Useless”

“Hey, take it slow”

“It was just a simple check-up, but I couldn’t do ”

“Noona, you are doing great already, it’s only the first day after the surgery.” Roo just kept silent.

They both turned their attention to the door when they heard a faint knock.

“Oh right, I was about to tell you that Hanbin hyung drove me here” ChanWoo sheepishly said.

The captain of the male basketball team of Whimoon greeted Roo. They were both very similar in many ways. To start off, they were both cold. They never really did talk to each other before, but they had played a few games together before, of course, they trained together before.

“Hey, Karls,” Hanbin payed a visit out of respect and courtesy. Even though he never saw it, he always looks up to Roo, as a basketball player. There was so many things he wanted to learn from her, and had learnt from her.

“Hey” Roo nodded. “Roo will do” She was uncomfortable with people calling her Karls because she was used to ‘Roo’ instead.

“Well, here’s a little something for you. Hope you recover fast” He passed a bag to Roo and she gladly accept with a thank you, before putting it aside. She knew he was actually sincere because he was always so polite towards her during training. Never once did he behave like her own teammates. Secretly hating her behind her back.

“Why are you two so awkward, oh my gosh, I can’t take this” ChanWoo exclaimed out of the sudden, he stood up from his seat and pushed Hanbin to sit beside Roo. Receiving the disapproved looks from both of his seniors.  

“Shut up Chanwoo”

“You just don’t know what to tell me other than shut up huh noona!” Well he was right, she would at least ask him to shut up once in every of their conversation.

“You really do have to shut up though Maknae” Hanbin spoke up for Roo.

“You two are so mean. I am leaving” ChanWoo stomped to the door childishly.

“Where are you going!”

“To get a drink and wash off my anger” He replied with a pout

“Well kid, wash it off well before coming back” Roo answered him flatly. HanBin raised his brow, amazed by the way his friend communicated with the captain of the female team. It reminded him of himself. Like what he always heard from the others, they were indeed like counterparts.


Awkward air lingers around after ChanWoo left. The two awkward turtle couldn’t handle it themselves.

Hanbin cleared his throat before stealing a look at Roo.

“Yes Hanbin? Or should I call you B.I?”

“Hanbin will do.” Roo nodded in understanding. “Are you going to be okay?”

Roo curiously look at him, as if asking him ‘what do you mean’.

“Well, Basketball was probably your whole life, from what I can see” He said cautiously.

“I guess? There is nothing I can do to turn back time right?” He admired her, she was always so cool about anything. Even though her knew that it was killing her inside, she was never going to let her guard down and let just anyone see her weakness.

“Even with hypocrites everywhere?” He met her eyes, they both knew what he meant. She gave him a small smile. She was surprised that he actually knew her teammates well.

“At least I won’t have to face them anymore” She felt bitter when the sentence came out of . It wasn’t true, even if she were to face them, at least it meant that she could still be playing basketball.

They had small chats here and there, trying to ease the awkwardness before the childish ChanWoo decided to return. At least he had the decency to buy drinks for both of his seniors.

“By the way, noona, the other hyungs just called, they wanted to visit you later after the afternoon training.” ChanWoo casually announced.

“There’s no need to”

“I am coming back after the training, might as well, right?” He wasn’t giving Roo any choice anyway, why would he reject people who wanted to visit her. He was in no place to do that. He loves his senior, of course he would want her to know that there are people that care about her. But she doesn’t think so that way. They were no friends, she was never their friend to begin with, so why would they care when she’s into this little accident. Receiving no respond, he nudged his captain. “Right? Hanbin hyung”

Hanbin was slightly flustered, he had never intended to come back here, but he replied ChanWoo anyway. “Y-yeah”


As promised, He came back in the evening after the trainings with his teammates and boy, it was freaking awkward. There were around 6 other people in the room other than Hanbin and ChanWoo. They weren’t exactly friends, nor teammates. They were just schoolmates of the same basketball team. It wasn’t wrong neither way, they had never once played in a team together, at most, they just had friendly games against each other.

“I hope you get well soon Captain” A guy Roo knew as JinHwan came up to her, passing her a bouquet of flower. She thanked him and took over the flowers before ChanWoo decided to help her with it. The other guys were spread around the room, making themselves comfortable in that uncomfortable atmosphere. Hanbin too, where sitting at one of the Sofa in the ward.

“You know, these hyungs never really mention it, but I can see that they admire you a lot.” ChanWoo voiced out of nowhere, gaining a look from those guys. He wasn’t helping to ease the awkwardness, he was making it worse.

“Well, that’s just your thoughts. Just shut up” Once again, she was asking him to keep quiet. It was her habit to ask ChanWoo to shut up. She wasn’t being mean to him.

“What he said wasn’t entirely wrong. You caught my attention during the first game we played together. I did hear about your name in middle school, but I didn’t think you were that good, till I see the real deal.” Bobby nodded.

“Thank you? I supposed.” She was unsure of how to reply. No one had said that to her before. She did have some supporters of her own, but never among her acquaintance, said that to her. But what they didn’t know was all these compliments were making her ill. The way they called her captain reminds her that she might or was already not one anymore. That reminds her, they had training today, and she had something to find out.

“Did coach mentioned anything during the training today?” She quietly asked ChanWoo.

“Erm… not exactly.”

“What do you mean not exactly. Yes, or No”

“Alright, he did” She was waiting for him to continue, “it was what you think it is”

“Why am I not surprised.” Her mood went flushing down, “So I am finally out huh. Those girls must be having the time of their life now”

The others heard their conversation, Roo didn’t give a dam about whether they heard a not. It was not something she was ashamed of anyway. They were feeling bad for her to have such coach and teammates around her. She deserved better. It wasn’t like she was a show off nor was she a bad person to be with. She was just distant. So why are they doing this to her. Girls will always be girls.

“There goes the champion for female team” said SeungYoon playfully.

“That’s not nice” Roo spoke up. “I know Lia can do it, give her a chance” They were surprised at her attitude. She was saying it like it was nothing to her that she had lost the position, that she was never able to play basketball anymore. They knew her relationship with her team, and it surprise her that she could actually say that. It wasn’t like her, and they knew it. ChanWoo looked at her pitifully, before turning away, afraid that she would see through him. She doesn’t like pity. Ever since yesterday, he knew how much it was going to affect her, how much it hurts her. He was glad at least his teammates appreciate her more than her own teammates.

“We didn’t mention that Lia was the new captain”

“Captain or not, I have faith in her”

“Hey hyungs, I think it’s time for noona to rest, you guys have trainings tomorrow too right. Let’s go” Chanwoo urged them to leave.

“Yeah we should go” he was thankful Hanbin backed him up.

“You guys go ahead first, I have something to tell noona, then I will leave” They nodded before they left. They all knew how much ChanWoo held his respect for Roo. How much he hoped to have a sister like Roo.

“Noona, are you really okay?”

“am I not supposed to be?” She questioned back.

“That’s not what I meant. I knew you always like to keep things to yourself, but if you’re not okay, I am always here. I…I just don’t want to see you hiding everything to yourself.” It didn’t surprise Roo nor is she going to misunderstand him. He always tells her how much of a great sister she was, and she was the sister he never had.

“ChanWoo, I just need time. To be honest, it’s not okay, and it will never be okay.” She whispered, “you don’t understand, I just…I just want to play basketball. I can give up anything, anything but basketball” She fiddled with her fingers.

“You can always find something else, try something else other than basketball. Take this as a chance for you to be expose to other things.”

“Like what?”

“You will find something you will grow to like. I will help you”


For the next week, ChanWoo visited her without fail. Sad to say, her coach was as heartless, he did not once step into the hospital. Lia did visit her, she was guilty. She knew it was because of her that she ended up this way. She explained to Roo that she did not visit because she was scared, scared that Roo was going to blame her. Roo did not get angry at her and wished her luck on her being a captain. Like ChanWoo, Lia promised to help her, she just replied with a smile. She doesn’t know if she can move on.

It was her day 9 in the hospital. Her humongous cast was replaced with a lighter one, and she was allowed to move around freely with the wheelchair or crutches. She had decided to get herself discharge today, since she was 18, there was nothing restricting her from doing that. She didn’t inform anyone because other than getting herself discharge, she was going to do something else.

After all the paper work, she changed in to the shirt that she had worn the first day, her jersey. Without wasting anytime, she went home to pack up.

The first thing she reach home was to get herself a nice shower. The 9 days in the hospital, she didn’t exactly get to enjoy a pleasant bath, and she was determined to do it today, even if it is going to be difficult with her cast on. And she was right, that was hella difficult task for her, and she only managed to get herself clean and fresh after an hour of struggle.

After preparing herself, she gave a call to the school to inform them of her withdrawal from school. She requested for them to send the necessary letters to her and she would complete before mailing back to them.