Chapter 28

The Team

“Song Min Ho” Roo called out.
“Yes?” he ran over with a ball in this arm. They were having their training while Roo was watching at the sideline, frowning.
“dribble” she ordered.
“Huh?” 
“I said D-“
“Dribble, yes I heard you. but why?”
“I have been watching you. It seems like you are too full of yourself nowadays huh. Just because you won a few matches” She questioned, gaining a raised eyebrow from him.
“what do you mean?”
“What’s with those leg shovel passes and spinning passes huh? You’ve been watching too much NBA games and playing too much street games uh. Your dribbling isn’t solid at all, it’s getting too messy to watch.”
“What’s wrong with that?” Mino still doesn’t get it. He was legit confused.
“Are you asking me that? Seriously?” She raised her eyebrows this time round, “I know how much vocabs you know but I need you to get your basic right. I don’t need to see those fanciful moves on court, you can show it to your little fangirls after the league. But now, get your dribbling right.” She rolled her eyes dramatically on purpose to irk him.
“I am dribbling well. You see”” He dribbles in front of her only to get cut from Roo by surprise. “Hey-“
“Hey what?” she had her arms on her waist, “if I can steal your ball, then your dribbling is nono. If you think you’re dribbling well, come with me then.” she walked nearer to the court and called out for the attention of the remaining 9. “I am going to bring Minho out for training purposes, continue what you are doing, we will be back before training ends, that is, if this guy over here completes it. Woobin, Jonghyun, take over the training.” 
The two said person nodded their head to acknowledge the coach’s words. They all had the curious look plastered on their faces, but no one questioned her.
“Keep dribbling, don’t stop” Roo ordered Mino while making him walk behind her. She purposely walked in a S-line path, increasing the difficulties. Being Mino, his frustration was shown in less than 10sec. 
“What the hell! Can you walk properly?” He stopped on track but his hand didn’t. Roo just shrugged giving no dam to him. 
“Are you out of your mind?!” Mino exclaimed when he saw what’s standing infront of them while Roo just smirked. She had a great idea on how to train Mino. “Why are we standing infront of this overhead bridge?!”
“You know it”
“No I don’t” Mino knew what Roo was going to make him do, but he just wanted to deny his fate. 
“Let me tell you then. You don’t get to go home until you conquer this bridge by dribbling from here, to the other side of the bridge.” She pointed across. This was the longest bridge around their neighbourhood which was twice as high and twice as long compared to an ordinary bridge. 
“You mean…Dribble” “Yes” “From here?” “From here.” “To there?” “To there.”
“You must be crazy” he exhaled.
“You said you dribble well, then show me” She crossed her arms in front of her chest.
Minho pointed an index finger at Roo and then dramatically bumped his chest twice with his fist. “I will show you” he said confidently. Roo wasn’t even amused.
Mino took a deep breath infront of the bridge before he started. He got himself ready by dribbling before the steps. 
He carefully drag his feet nearer to the steps, annnnnnd ……….he successfully went up the first step, he let out a satisfactory smirk. “This is going to be easy” he mumbled. 
He was biting his lips and his bottom lips out of concentration on his 12th steps, while Roo was standing at the bottom of the bridge observing him. 
“AHHHHH! URGGG DAMMIT” Roo heard Minho shouted from below, as expected the ball flew out of his control as it came into contact with the edge of the step. “Dammit coach!” He shouted to no one particular but just out of frustration making Roo laugh. 
After a few tries and umpteen failed dribbles, Mino sat at the steps sulking. 
“Come on Mino, is this what you want to show me? You giving up?” Roo came over to him, watching his dejected silhouette. 
“This is impossible.”
“Nothing is impossible Minho, you just lack of self-focus. For the 43 times you tried just now, you were about to finish the first flight of stairs for 21 times. You need to believe that you can do it in order to be able to do it.” She held out a bottle of water, “Here, take a rest and try again”
“You actually counted it” He was taken aback by her attentiveness to this small training, and he was slightly touched by her effort. He accepted the water and chucked it down.
“You actually thought I would be standing here sun bathing?”
He laughed. “I thought you would be here counting cars.”
She held out her hand for Mino to grab and she pulled him up. “You can do this. Remember my words; focus. I am going back to the court to dismiss them, it’s about time”
“I just got touched, and you’re leaving just like that?” 
“I am going back for a little while. I will be coming back” she reassured and left without waiting for his reply. 

—————————

She clapped to get all of their attention. “You all can be dismissed. Sorry to have left y’all under the captains today but moving on to the 8th finals, I am going to change your bad habits as much as I can so that we won’t regret the small mistakes that we make. You all are free to go now.” 
“Thank you coach” the echoed after each other.
“Woobin” the said man turned his attention to her, “Do you have time to spare?” 
“Yes I do” He responded. 
“Do you mind going somewhere with me?”
“That depends on where” he continued to pack his bag.
“Don’t play smart with me.” She frowned.
“Alright Alright, I was kidding. Let me just get my stuff ready.” She nodded.

———————


“What is that guy doing there?!” he exclaimed, showing the same reaction as Mino when he first arrived.
“Dribbling”
“Over the bridge?!”
“Yeah” she kept her eyes on Mino.
“Why am I here with you?”
His questioned wasn’t answered.
“Song Min Ho!” Roo called out for the said man’s attention, his ball bounced off the stairs for the Nth time that hour he was here upon hearing his name. He had a frustrated expression while glaring at Roo. “Come over here” she ignored his frustration.
“I was about to reach the top! Why did you call me!! You could’ve called out for me after I reach!” he angrily spouted. 
“Yeah sure, you’re definitely reaching the top when you’re not even halfway there” she nonchalantly waved him off, “Woobin, you ready?”
“Ready for what?!” He whipped his head over to her direction, taken aback. She looked at him expectedly and he shrunk back, “no way”
“yes you are ready” She grabbed the basketball from Mino and tossed it to Woobin. “You’re on, cap”
Woobin was waiting for her ‘just kidding’ but got none. Mino looked at him, mouthing to him ‘goodluck bro’ while he dragged his feet infront of the bridge. 
“here comes nothing…” he mumbled.
He started his first few steps steadily and carefully. 
Mino was expecting him to fail but Woobin steadily completed the first flight of stairs moving on to the second flight. There was so much concentration on his face that Roo was impressed. 
“Minho, watch him. He will be able to complete it”
“TSK you’re just bias” He childishly crossed his arms on his chest while pouting but he still didn’t leave his attention from Woobin.
Soon after, Woobin was up on the bridge, walking briskly to the opposite stairs to go down. Mino had no complains at the moment, he jaw-dropped at Woobin’s first attempt.
It wasn’t long when Woobin came running over from the traffic light on the side while dribbling the ball. His shirt was drenched and with his eyebrow furrowed, he had an unhappy expression on. “Never ask me do this again although it was a challenge but my head hurts dam. This is tough”
“You did it, didn’t you?”
“right, Show off” Mino childishly said.
“Stop that” she nudged his side, “now you’ve seen it yourself, that this is capable of conquering, your turn now.” She reached the ball to him, he snatched the ball from her hand and making a face at her. 
“I will conquer it, if not I am not going home.” He stomped away leaving the two dumbfounded. 
Roo recovered and turned to Woobin, “goodjob cap, you really got me impressed with that. You can go home now, have a great rest! See you tomorrow”
“What about you?”
“you don’t expect me to leave that idiot here alone, did you?” she raised her eyebrow.
“I will stay here with him” he put the bag that is now on his shoulder back on the ground, “you can go home and rest. It’s late”
“I made him do this, so he is my responsibility. You don’t have worry. You have school tomorrow, rest well”
“You have school too. If you’re worried that he will leave before he completes, you don’t have to. He is Mino, he has the most perseverance out of the 10 of us. He won’t leave if he hasn’t succeeded, even if you force him to.”
“I am not worried about that. It’s just that …. Forget it. I am the coach here, you’re supposed to listen to me” 
“Come on Roo, it’s like what, “ he took a glance at his watch, “quarter past 8. School’s over, you’re just Roo.”
“Just listen to me okay. He is going to complete it in no time, it won’t take long, I will be home soon after you’re home” As if on cue, Mino’s ball cut the edges and flew over to them, Woobin caught it before it reaches Roo’s head. 
“Sorry Roo, the ball flew off” Roo waved him off, as Woobin tossed the ball back to him. 
“Finish in no time you say?” Roo kept quiet at this, “just go home, I am going to accompany him for a little while and I will be home okay.”
“but-“
“No buts, just go. He won’t even realise you are gone.” 
“Alright alright Appa. Tch.” Roo reluctantly walked away but kept glancing at Mino.  I hope he won’t be too harsh on himself.  “Yah,” she called out to Woobin again, “get him home if he hasn’t succeed yet at 10 okay? Even if it means to drag him home.” Receiving a nod from Woobin, she walked home with Mino flooding her mind.