chapter 25

The Team

“What the hell is wrong with you, Park Chanyeol?” Roo questioned.

“Nothing is wrong with me, they were the ones who provoked me.” He was fired.

“Even if so, you knew they were trying to provoke you. Why did you start the fight? Now you are disqualified for this game. Are you happy now?”

“I start the fight?! He did a foul attack, did you even see? And disqualified? So what,with this kind of opponent, I would rather not play.”

Roo took in a deep breath, Woobin saw and warned Chanyeol to stop.

“Okay firstly, yes they did a foul attack. Weren’t you used to that kind of play? Huh. They were capable of that, are you? Nothing is foul if you can hide through it. Secondly, rather not play? Is that the kind of attitude you going to have throughout the whole tournament? You don’t care about getting disqualified? Is that how you see a basketball game? Sure, then don’t play at all.” Roo sat back down, three seats away from Chanyeol whom had fire shooting out his eyes as he watched the game. He wasn’t going to bring up the name that was used on her. Woobin who was sitting beside Chanyeol, gave the fuming man a pat on his shoulder. The others were watching the two people silently, not able to add in any words afraid to agitate any of them at the moment.

2nd quarter ended, luckily with not too much score difference. With the incident that happened, had affected their performance a little. Yongjin is leading right now but not by too much, Roo was confident to get the score back. Roo continues to change team members of the players for the next 2 quarters. She was studying how her players had played and techniques they are using, meanwhile taking down notes. She had called for a last time out in the last quarter to gather them back.

And by the 3rd quarter ended, they had successfully turned the score to 78-74 with Team Sanspeur leading. They were pumped with the results and are all giving their very best.

Roo called for the last timeout for the last quarter.

“Listen up Oh Sehun, the last ball is yours. Everyone, if you get the ball in the last 15 seconds, pass it to Sehun. No one is blocking him from what I observed, they are letting the hole at Sehun’s position. Their focus is very much on three people, Woobin, JongHyun and Mino. You guys are doing very well, above my expectation in this round. Just end this game well, drag as much time as you can to keep the lead, keep defending. The win is already 75% in your hand. Alright, go for it!”

They ran in to the court to finish up the rest of the 2-minute game.

“REMEMBER! DEFEND!”

 At the last 16 seconds, JongSuk did not forget to pass the ball to Sehun and he did a 2 pointer shoot without much difficulty and that marked the end of the match. The audience clapped for Team Sanspeur and the rest of the players ran up to the 5 players on court to do a group hug. Roo was standing at the resting area, with a big smile plastered on her face.

“Come over Roo!” They all shouted for her. She shook her head, signalling that it’s okay.

Woobin pulled in the grumpy Chanyeol in the meantime too.

“Hey! Don’t be a party pooper! Come on!” Jong Suk pulled her over. They engulfed her in to a group hug, and all she could think, was how happy she is at the moment. All her effort didn’t go down the drain.

The coach had brought the 11 of them back to school.

Once they’ve arrived, they came down of the bus and waited for everyone to get down, expecting a debrief from Roo.

Roo was the last one to alight and all she said was, “I will see all of you tomorrow in school. Don’t be late for training and rest well today. Goodnight” She waved, waiting for them to leave. “What’s the matter?”

“Roo, aren’t you going to debrief us?” Jonghyun questioned.

“right” they all gave her a confused look. She always tries her best to point out their mistake in every training and game but why didn’t she say anything today? “you all did a good job today. I have nothing to say. Return home safely” she didn’t wait for them this time round and her heels to leave.

“If you have a problem with me, just say it out!” Chanyeol voiced out. Gaining a nudge from Minhyuk. “What? Isn’t it obvious it’s because of me?”

Roo stopped and turned towards him. She sighed. “what do you want me to say? You still think you’re right isn’t it? what can I say if I can’t drill the right thing in to your mind?”

She walked towards him.

“I said I don’t wish to see any more fights on the court isn’t it? Didn’t you say you missed being a good basketballer? But you’re taking your opportunity to play so lightly. You don’t deserve to be on court, Park Chanyeol. You still don’t know where you’re wrong at right?” She just saw Chanyeol staring back at her. “You have no respect for basketball. At. All.”

“Roo, Chanyeol didn’t do it on purpose. You know he’s impulsive, can you forgive him this time? He won’t do it again” Joohyuk politely spoke up.

“Yeah Roo, and it was the opponent that provoked him first. With this kind of opponent, im sure anyone would be fired up.” Jongsuk too, spoked up for Chanyeol.

“With this kind of opponent, the more you should win them. isn’t that more satisfying? You could just ignore him. Yet instead! You can’t control your anger again!” She saw Chanyeol’s eyes flashing guilt. She gave herself a moment to calm down, “Let’s not talk about the fight. It’s about your attitude right now. I am disappointed about how you take your opportunity so lightly. You’ve had your chance, you waited for so long and trained so hard for this league, but you threw your first game away just like that. Didn’t you have a lot to say? Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“Roo…” he hung his head low, opened and closed his mouth, contemplating his sentence structure over and over again. “Sorry…”

Roo wasn’t expecting to apologise and for the moment, she didn’t know what to say. All her thoughts dispersed.

“AlRIGHTY!” Minho caught that and tried to lighted up the mood, “You said whatever you want,” he lay his arms on Roo’s shoulder, “and he apologise” laying another one on Chanyeol’s, “everything is fine now!” Making the Team laughed.

“Let’s just go home, don’t be late tomorrow” Roo left them to go home.

“Don’t worry buddy, she’s going to be fine tomorrow” Sehun patted Chanyeol’s back before walking away

“Miss Roo!” Roo turned to the person that called out to her.

“Oh, Mr Park.” She bowed. “GoodMorning”

“I watched the match yesterday” he had a hand in his pocket and another one on his hip. “Not bad”

“So you actually care about the basketball team too?” she gave a small tiny smile, “told you I am confident in bringing them up. They have potentials”

“I Don’t”

“huh?”

“I don’t really care about them. I am only bringing this up to remind you of our agreements. After this season, if they are not in the top 10, then you will have to leave the school. You got me?”

Roo raised her eyebrows. Usually, she wouldn’t see Mr Park in school until after lunch time, but yet he is here so early in the morning just to talk to her about that. He even watched their match.

“ofcourse. I won’t forget my promise. Top 10 it is then.” She shrugged confidently. “Watch them grow, Mr Park. I don’t really get your reason of this talk, but I will take it as you worrying about them. I will thank you on behalf of the 10 of them.” it was his turn to raise his eyebrows.

“I-I am no-“

“Alright then Mr Park. My class is starting soon. I will be going back to my class first” She bowed again. leaving the stunned male teacher there.

*Top 10? Leaving the school? Promise? What are the two up to?* The figure behind the pillar thought.

Time flew by, 3 weeks of Competitions, they had managed to win all the 6 matches out of the uncountable match they were going to face. Yes, they had won the 5 schools in the first qualifying round and were in the 2nd qualifying round. It was a miracle for them but for Roo, it was their effort. Chanyeol had worked extra hard ever since that incident, he didn’t want to disappoint Roo any further. He reflected and he knew he was at wrong, he just couldn’t control his temper at that moment. Just like what Sehun said, Roo did return back to her usual self the next day during training. Although she did give Chanyeol a harder time during training as compared to others. He didn’t complain any of it and quietly took it.

She was very proud of them. They reminded her so much of her younger self, those burning passion. She remembered how she could fight for basketball. Well, and they reminded her of how she can never play basketball like them anymore.

Now that they are back to school, classes have been adding on to their stress apart from the matches that are still ongoing. They have an average of 2 matches a week, sometimes 3 for the previous matches. Reaching the 2nd qualifying round, they were given a week off from matches before the next hectic week arrives. However, that did not give them an excuse to laze around, instead, they made use of the time to train harder, and conditioning themselves. They would stay back after school, 2 hours to catch up on school work and the other 4hours, training. They have been spending a lot of time in school. Roo could see how much they have changed, how committed they were. And boy she was touched.

That being said, when the students put in 100% effort, the coach always puts in 150% effort especially for Roo when she has to not only coach them in basketball, but also academically. It has been rough on her too but she did not complain. She was contented.

“Come on guys, rest for a while before you start your training” carrying bags of KimBap, Sausage bun and spicy rice cake in his hand, Joongki shouted. He has been worrying about his sister and she had confessed everything that happened. He couldn’t help her with much but only could support her as much as he can. Thus, when he is free, he would drop by with food, or drinks or just staying there accompanying them. He would also try to help them in their work. He would try his best to be there even when his job needs him 24/7.

It has been hard for everyone, especially Roo and those in their last year.

“Roo! Can you help me with this? I have been stuck here for half an hour, it’s not going to be productive” JongHyun called out. They didn’t have training today and decided to study until late night before returning home to rest.

“Hey, Let’s all rest first. Come on” Joongki told him.

“It’s okay oppa, let me help him first” Knowing JongHyun, he wouldn’t eat or do other things if he hasn’t completed his task on hand. Roo left the food corner and approach the stressed JongHyun.

“What’s up” She started.

“This” He scratched his head, while looking at the tired Roo. His once frustrated eyes softened at the sight of Roo, her eyes was already droopy.

“This is a little tricky, let’s see” Roo continued to solve the question while explaining to him.

“Thank you Roo. I got it now”

“You’re welcome. Now smarty pants, rest for a bit first and have a bite.” She stood up, waiting for JongHyun to stand up from his seat and they both went to the rest.

“Kimbap or bun? Too late, no more Ddok left.”

“Kimbap will do.” He said nonchalantly.

“Kimbap?” Joongki reached out the rice roll to his sister, and gladly took it.

“Thank you, for putting in so much effort”

“Don’t mention it baby sis” He ruffled her head and she went to an empty table to seat. She desperately needed a rest, peaceful rest from all the nights she had stayed up to help them. She hasn’t been resting well and that had affected her knee. It has been acting up now and then, and she would try to hide it from the rest as well as her brother.

Placing her kimbap infront of her, she rested her chin on her palm, staring blankly in to the air. Eyes closed, trying to catch some sleep.

“Not eating?” Joongki had to break it.

“Later oppa”

“Its hard, right?” All she did, was smile. And he knew that she wanted it, no matter how tired she is going to be. “Let me see your knee, seems like it’s not resting well enough” theres nothing she can hide from him. As if he has a pair of x-ray eyes. He gently massages her leg for her while she laid her head on the table, glancing over at her team. They were all seated around each other, some taking a short nap, some chatting.

She said with her eyes closed, “Oppa, I hope they will stay like this forever.”

“With you around, of course they will. I underestimated you lil sissy”

“I hope you will stay with me forever too, Joongki oppa”

Joongki smiled affectionately, “of course, where can I go without you, silly girl. Now, take a power nap first”