84-

Letting You Go

 

“Thanks for doing this, unni.” You thanked her again while you were putting on your shoes.

“Oh, stop thanking me already. You’d think that I’m adopting him or something. I’m just watching over him for a couple of hours. It’s no big deal!” She huffed. “The sooner you leave, the quicker you’ll be back with your son.” She added, like an afterthought.

You peered over her shoulder and saw Minhyuk sitting on the sofa, deeply mesmerised by the Spongebob cartoon that you had put on for him just a little while earlier. “You’re right. Oh, I have something to ask you. Remind me about it later when I’m back, alright?”

She raised an eyebrow. “You can’t ask me now?”

You shook you head. “No. Later.” You said seriously.

She nodded although she was still a little confused. “Arasso. Later then. Good luck with your job hunt.“ She hugged you around your shoulders and gave it a small squeeze.

“Thanks! I’m going now!” You called back while opening the door.

You took out your phone while waiting for the elevator and called your mom.

“Hello, Omma?” You said when your mom answered the phone.

“I have some things to take care of today so Minhyuk and I will only be visiting you around dinner. Will you be alright?” You asked.

“Yes, don’t worry, ------ah. The nurses here are taking good care of me.” You mom replied.

“I know, but won’t you be bored by yourself?”

“I can always watch some television or take a nap if I’m bored. You don’t have to worry about me. I’ll be fine. You can’t be here around the clock anyway.” Your mom tried to reassure you.

“Ok, omma. What would you like for dinner? Should I make you some abalone porridge?”

“Mmm? Don’t you have things to do today? You don’t have to keep getting or making dinner for me. I can eat the meals provided here.” She reasoned.

“But I want to, omma. You need to eat more nutritious food so that you can get well quickly.” You insisted.

She let out a knowing sigh. “Abalone porridge sounds good then, sweetheart.”

You knew that your mom just didn’t like feeling like she was being a burden to you so didn’t read too much into the sigh. She would have to get used to you taking care of her anyway. “Ok then. I’ll see you later, omma.”

You were about to put your phone back into your bag after ending the call with your mom when it suddenly rang. It was Jinki!

“Hello, Jinki oppa!!” You practically shouted into the phone.

You heard soft chuckles on the other end. “Hello, ------ah. Did you miss me that much?”

“Of course I missed you, oppa! Are you feeling any better?” You became worried when you heard muffled coughing sounds. “Oppa?”

“Ah, don’t worry. I’m fine. I’m feeling much better already. I heard from the rest that you visited them at Inkigayo and made food for them. I’m jealous!! I also want to eat the yummy food you made.” He whined.

You laughed. “Don’t worry, oppa. Once you get well, I’ll make you anything you want to eat!”

“Anything?! Really? Even chicken?” He asked, excitedly.

“Yes yes. Anything, even if it’s chicken.” You said with a big smile on your face. You knew that Kibum was really strict with the amount of chicken he could eat since he was usually the one doing the cooking.

“Asa!” He cheering before breaking into another coughing fit again.

“Please take care of yourself, oppa. Get well soon! I don’t like it that you’re sick. If there is anything that I can do, please tell me ok?”

“Ok. I’m going to take a nap now. I’ll text you later.” He replied.

“Ok, oppa. Have a good rest!”

You put your phone back into your bag after the call had ended and stepped out of the building where you stayed. You decided to start looking for a part-time job around your neighbourhood first because it would be so much more convenient for you if you could find one.

You ended up walking around and enquiring around the shops for nearly 3 hours before you finally came across this rather large flower arrangement shop a few streets down that was tucked away at the end of a small alley. It seemed to be doing well despite its location so you went in and spoke to the owners.

Both the ahjumma and ahjussi who owned the shop were really friendly and kind. It turned out that they weren’t really short-staffed but they have been looking for someone who could help with the flower arrangements as the number of orders they were getting was becoming too much for the both of them to handle by themselves.

They agreed to hire you after you told them that you had experience from working at a florist in America but you would still have to be under “probation” for 2 weeks just to see if you were able to do the job well and handle the work load. When you explained to them your current situation with Minhyuk, they agreed to allow you to bring him along with you to work if he didn’t distract you from your work.

It was already half past 3 by the time you left the flower shop. You still had to stop by the mart and pick up some ice-cream as well as the ingredients you needed to make dinner, so you quickly headed back to the mart near your house.

“I’m home!” You called out.

“Dining room.” You heard Soojin reply.

You passed the living room area on the way dining room area and found it to be empty and really tidy. Soojin was reading a book by herself in the dining room. “Isn’t it more comfortable to read in the living room?” You asked.

“Yeah, but here is closer to the bedroom. You know, just in case, Minhyuk called.” She answered with a smile.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you about the baby monitor. My bad.” You admitted sheepishly as you entered the bedroom to retrieve what you were referring to.

While taking the walkie talkie-like device from the room, you glanced over at Minhyuk and saw that his hand was sticking out from under the blanket so you walked over and gently placed it back under the blanket. You leaned down and gave him a soft peck on his nose before leaving the bedroom.

“Here. You can use this next time. Then you’d still hear him loud and clear even if you’re in the kitchen. You just turn this on by turning this dial and make sure that the other monitor in the bedroom is as well, then as long as the battery is working fine, you should be able to hear him.” You instructed as Soojin nodded and listened carefully.

“Do you want to stay for dinner?” You asked over your shoulder as you headed into the kitchen to cook.

“Sure! I don’t have any plans today so I might as well. I totally miss your cooking!” She quipped. “Do you need my help?”

You smiled. “Help me wash and cut the vegetables?”

“Yes madam!” She mock saluted you and took the vegetables to the sink. “Oh! You had something to ask me right? From earlier?” She prompted when you gave her a confused look.

“Oh! That.” You said when you finally remembered. “Umm… well, I saw him yesterday.” You tried your best to make it sound casual.

“WHAT?!” She exclaimed, turning off the tap and halting everything immediately to face you.

You refused to look at her because you didn’t want her to read into your expression. You didn’t want her to see how he still affected you. You weren’t proud of that. You felt that you should be stronger than that. “Yeah. So he showed up outside the house all of a sudden last night-“ You got abruptly cut off by Soojin spinning you around to face her.

She looked beyond livid and you cringed inwardly, instantly regretting bringing this up. “Let me get this straight. By him, you are referring to that jerk, Junhyung. Right?”

You bit you lip and nodded, not trusting your voice.

“Ok, how and where did you see him?? Start from the top, and don’t leave out anything.” She cast you a warning look as she moved back to the sink.

You forgot that Soojin could actually be way scarier than Kibum. You ducked your head and proceeded to fill her in about what happened yesterday.

“Ok, so you mean he just suddenly popped up here and made you invite him in so that he could talk to you?”

“Yeah?” You hesitantly agreed.

“I seriously don’t know how you survive on your own. If I were Kibum, I would let you on a leash and never let you out of my sight! You’re lucky he hasn’t found out!” She scolded. “And about this Leeteuk guy, are you sure you can trust him?” She narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

“Yeah, Leeteuk oppa is a nice person. He saved me from him remember?”

“Hmm. I guess we can trust him for now. You need to be more careful!” She said pointedly. “So, what are you planning to do about him?”

“I’m not sure. I still don’t think it’s a good idea for me to be in contact with him, especially with Minhyuk around but I don’t think he’ll give up even if I say no.”

“I think we can conclude that he can be very persistent when he wants to be. I suggest that you put off giving him a definite answer for as long as possible and try not to run into him anymore! Don’t go to the music shows!” She advised.

“Er… we might be going to one this week.” You confessed. “But it’s because I already promised Kibum beforehand and also because Minhyuk wants to see his appas.” You quickly added when Soojin shot you a pointed look.

She sighed and then gave it some thought. “Do you think it would be better if I was there with you?”

Your eyes widened slightly as realization struck you. “Oh! That would be perfect! Why didn’t I think of that earlier?!”

“Hmm. But we would have to stick together at all times though. Do you know which music show you’d be going to yet?”

“Nope. Nothing is confirmed yet but probably not during the weekdays. I still have my part-time job.” You answered.

“Oh! So, you managed to find one? Where?” She immediately questioned.

“It’s at a flower shop about five streets from here. They do floral arrangements for special occasions. It’s located in a small alley but they seem to be doing quite well… Oh and I can take Minhyuk along with me to work as well.” You said.

“Sounds great! I’m glad some things are working out well.” She said as she handed you the bowl of cut vegetables.

“Yeah. Thanks.” You agreed and took the vegetables from her. “Oh right, I do have one last thing to ask though… how come you never mentioned that you met Junhyung while I was in LA?”

“About that, I think Seyong and I bumped into him around 4 months after you left and I really didn’t think it was a good idea to mention him so soon after you left. Seyong agreed with me so we decided that it was best not to say anything about it.” She explained.

“I thought you’d say that. I guess I just needed to hear it for myself.” You said, honestly. “Did Seyong oppa really threaten to beat him up?” You asked in a slightly softer voice.

“Yeah, that idiot was really going to punch him if I didn’t stop him. Guys and violence.” She shook her head and let out an exasperated sigh.

You ducked your head to hide the small smile playing on your lips. You didn’t approve of violence as well but just knowing that Seyong would stand up for you like that was heart-warming to say the least.

 

================

I don't seem to be able to write normal length chapters anymore -.- I just don't feel satisfied posting a chapter if I feel it doesn't have enough content =/

On a completely different note, SHINee's Sherlock promotions have ended :(( I already miss them!