66-

Letting You Go

That night, you were sitting on the sofa playing with Minhyuk when your computer suddenly rang. You looked up and saw that it was video call from Kibum. You were slightly surprised even though it had been arranged beforehand. It had only been two weeks since they had gone back to Korea but they had already missed more than 5 arranged skype video calls. You didn’t blame them though, you knew that they were so busy that they barely had enough sleep so you came up with a rule, to which they agreed to as well. You would wait for up to an hour from the arranged time and if they still didn’t call you, you would know that they were too busy and wouldn’t be able to talk that day. 

Today, they call was slightly earlier than usual because they wanted to celebrate Minhyuk’s 100th day as well. The other two times that they had managed to call happened late at night when Minhyuk was already asleep and you even then, you only managed to talk very briefly to Jinki, Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin. Kibum was never present because he was always busy with something. It seemed like their manager wasn’t kidding when he said that Kibum had a lot to catch up with.

You picked Minhyuk up and went to accept the call before settling in front of your laptop and placing Minhyuk in your lap so that he could see what was on your screen. You were greeted by two sleepy faces when the video screen popped out. Minhyuk looked curiously at the screen first before he realized that he recognised the people on the screen. He started moving his legs and bouncing excitedly in your lap. You laughed as you held him closer to you, placing a kiss on the top of his head.

“Hello, Kibummie! Hello, Taeminnie!” You said and waved before taking Minhyuk’s arm and making him wave to the screen as well. “Wave hello to Kibum appa and Taemin appa.”

“Hey~” Kibum greeted and smiled looking at Minhyuk waving. You didn’t notice that he was avoiding your gaze.

“Hello, noona! Hello, Minhyukkie!” Taemin said brightly despite looking like he just woke up. “Jonghyun hyung is waking Jinki hyung and Minho hyung up right now. I don’t know how long that would take though.” He frowned a little before looking at Kibum.

“Umma~” Taemin whined a little and looked at Kibum expectantly.

Kibum rolled his eyes but gave in. “Jinki hyung! Minho! Get your butts over here now!” He ordered.

Taemin snickered and wriggled his eyebrows at you. “That’s all it takes.”

You chuckled. You had no doubt that that will get Jinki and Minho off their beds in a second.

True enough, a half-awake Minho and a still-asleep Jinki came into the frame of the video together with Jonghyun. You greeted them all while trying not laugh at their appearances. Minhyuk was becoming more and more hyper after seeing even more people that he recognised.

You reached across the table and got the cupcake out of the box. You stuck a candle into the center of it and lit it. Even though it wasn’t actually his birthday yet, you couldn’t think of any other way to celebrate his 100th day so Jinki had said that this would have to do. All of you sang a modified version of the birthday song and you helped Minhyuk blow out the candle. He tried to grab for the cupcake but thankfully, you were quick to react. “No. You can’t eat that yet.” You told him firmly as you pushed his hand down and placed the cupcake back into its box.

You turned your attention back to Kibum and the rest and started to catch up with them. You told them about Joanne, your first day of school, your internship interview and everything else that you could remember. They, in turn, told you about their trainings and the progress of their debut. Their group was going to be called SHINee and they were supposed to be a contemporary band. They had also decided what their stage names would be already. Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin were going to use their real names while Kibum would go by the name Key and Jinki would be Onew. You found their stage names quite amusing but you kept that to yourself.

Soon after, Minhyuk started to get hungry and a little sleepy so you had to go and prepare his bottle and put him to bed. “Say good night to your appas. Bye bye.” You took Minhyuk’s arm again and made him wave to them. You told them to wait for a while before going into the kitchen to prepare Minhyuk’s bottle.

You came back after about half an hour or so but found that only Kibum was left.

“Wow. The rest of them need to stop doing this disappearing act. Why do they always go off when I step away for a while?” You asked, slightly peeved.

He chuckled. “They were barely able to stay awake so I asked them to go back to sleep. They are all in their beds now. Do you want me to get them back here?” He asked, arching one of his eyebrows.

“No no no. That’s not necessary. How about you then? Are you not tired? I heard that you’ve been practicing more than anyone else.”

“I’m alright. Besides, we need to talk.” He stated.

“Ok, then. What would you like to talk about?” You pretended to be clueless even though you knew where he was leading.

“So… did you get my letter?”

You nodded.

“Did you read it?”

Another nod.

“Did you get the gift?”

You nodded yet again.

“So…” He fiddled nervously with his fingers. “It’s a no?” He asked while eyeing your fingers.

You shook your head to indicate that he was wrong but he took it as a confirmation of his answer. He sighed. “Ok. I underst-“

His eyes widened when he saw what you were holding up. You had put the ring on a necklace and wore it around your neck. You smiled at his expression. “Silly pumpkin. Did you really think that I would flat out reject your confession?”

He gulped. “Well… I didn’t know what to think! I wasn’t sure whether your heart still belonged to… that person or not.” He sort of whispered the last part, as if he was afraid of what would happen if you heard it.

You heard it anyway and you gave him a small smile. “I’m still not completely over him but I’m getting there. Anyway, all you asked for was a chance right? So now that you’ve got your chance. Please use it well.”

“I definitely will!! Oh my goodness! I want to give you a hug right now! Why are you over there on the other side of the world?!” He whined cutely, making you laugh.

“Why don’t you want to wear the ring though? Is it too big?” He asked.

“Nope. I just don’t want to wear it until I’m done sorting out my feelings and….” You trailed off.

“And?” He prompted.

You blushed. You couldn’t believe that you were actually going to say it out loud. “And-until-you-put-it-on-for-me.” You mumbled the words out really quickly.

“What? What did you say?” He cupped his ears and moved closer to the screen.

“I’m not going to repeat anything that I said. I know you heard it anyway.” You said stubbornly.

He chuckled when he saw that you weren’t going to give in. “Should I fly over there right now and put it on for you?” He teased.

“See! I knew it!” You huffed and folded your arms in front of your chest.

Your expression only earned more chuckles from him.

“Oh right! That reminds me. How come you didn’t tell me that Joanne was coming over? I got a shock when she came while I was trying on the r-nevermind.”

“Oh! So you did try on the ring after all. Did it fit?” He asked, ignoring your question.

You narrowed your eyes at him but he didn’t back down. “Yes it did. Now, can you answer my question?”

He let out a soft sigh. “I did tell you! I wrote it in the letter!”

“No, you didn’t. I read the letter and I didn’t see anything about her coming.” You retorted.

“That’s not possible. Do you still have the letter? Can you bring it here?” He asked.

You went to get the letter from your room and came back to the dining table. You opened the letter confidently and turned it towards the camera so that he could see what he wrote. And that was when you saw it.

“Oh.” You said, lowering the letter sheepishly to see him smirking at you.

“See! I told you so!” He exclaimed triumphantly.

Scribbled at the back of the letter were the words,

PPS: Please expect a visit from someone named Joanne today!

 

=============

Longer update today ^^