61-

Letting You Go

 

“Thank you for arranging all this, cupcake.” You had already thanked everyone earlier during dinner but you were pretty sure that he did most of the planning so you wanted to thank him again.

“You’re welcome but this was their idea actually. I just helped them to put it all together. You really should be thanking them.”

He gave you a warm smile and you smiled back as the both of you continued walking in comfortable silence. The both of you had left the table because Minhyuk needed a diaper change. You had intended to go by yourself but Kibum had insisted on accompanying you. So now, the both of you were heading to the baby nursing room with Minhyuk in your arms and Key carrying the baby bag.

You handed Minhyuk over to Kibum when you had finished changing his diaper. “Can you take Minhyuk back first? I need to use the restroom.” You asked.

“Of course, but are you sure you don’t want me to wait for you? I don’t mind waiting.”  

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. You need to go back and make sure that Jinki oppa and Taeminnie don’t finish our desserts for us as well.” You meant it as a joke but Kibum’s eyes widened at your statement, like you reminded him of something.

“You’re right. It happened once and I don’t think Taemin let any one of us sleep that night.” He cringed and shivered slightly at the memory. “I better go!” He said before rushing off with Minhyuk.

You smiled and shook your head as you watched him bustle off before turning around and heading to the restroom.

You were puzzled when you returned to the table to find that Kibum was the only person left. You raised your eyebrow. “Where did everyone go?” You asked as you took your seat.

“Home.” He answered simply.

“Huh? Then why are we still here?” You asked, slightly confused now. “And do they really have to keep disappearing on me during dessert? It’s almost a repeat of yesterday, just worse!” You huffed.

He chuckled as you started to eat your crème brûlée.

“There are two reasons why I planned this dinner today. One is because it’s meant to complete your Christmas present, and two is because I have something I want to tell you.” He paused.

You glanced up, nodded and added. “Okay, but I also have something to say when you’re done.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Do you want to go first then?” He asked kindly.

“No no, please continue what you were saying.” You said as you shook your head. You really didn’t want to have to say what you were going to tell Kibum, but you knew that you had to. You might never get another chance to speak to him in private after this.

He nodded. “Well, what I want to tell you is that I’ve decided to extend my stay over here for one more month.” He said happily.

You stopped eating the dessert and became quite sombre. You tried your best to smile but he noticed that you weren’t actually happy. “What’s wrong? Is the dessert no good?” He asked.

“No, it’s not that. The dessert tastes wonderful.”

He cocked his head at a slight angle and furrowed his brows, looking puzzled. “What’s bothering you then?”

“Please don’t stay here for another month. You need to go back to Korea. Your members need you and you need to be there with them.” You didn’t want to ruin the atmosphere so you tried to be 

“But you need me too. You need me more than they do, especially since you’re starting school soon. They’ll survive another month.” He reasoned, a smile still on his face.

“Yes, you’re right. I do need you to be here. If you put it that way, I would need you here all the time. Can you accomplish that?” You challenged and he kept silent. “The fact is that sooner or later, you’d have to leave and go back to Korea. Sooner or later, I’d have to learn to manage everything on my own. And quite frankly, I’d rather sooner than later. I’m stronger than you think I am, Kibum. You don’t always have to help me with everything. I came here alone and was prepared to have Minhyuk on my own. I’ve known all along that this was never going to be an easy journey. Meeting you on the plane made it so much easier than I expected that even now, I still sometimes think that it’s all a dream.” You looked at Kibum and saw that the smile that dropped from his face.

You let out a soft sigh. You really did end up ruining the mood after all. You felt a pinch of sadness at marring an otherwise perfect day but there was no turning back now, no way to take back the words you said, so you chose to go on.

“I don’t think I will ever be able to fully express how much I appreciate everything you’ve done and how thankful and grateful I truly am. But I need to stop being selfish now. This isn’t your life to live and it isn’t your journey to embark on. I need to give you back your life so that you can get it back on track. So, here it is. Go back to Korea with your members, they are the ones that truly are part of your life.” You said.

“But I want you to be part of my life and I want to be part of yours and Minhyuk’s as well. Please just let me have that chance.” He pleaded.

You glanced up and caught his gaze. His eyes were filled with emotions that you couldn’t quite read but you could tell that he was sincere. You almost gave in but managed to stop yourself at the last moment when you remembered that his dream was on the line.

“I can’t, Kibum. I’m sorry but I really can’t. You don’t want this. You have a really bright future ahead of you and your whole life to live. You may say that you want this, but you really don’t. I don’t want you to regret all of this and hate me when you eventually realize that so I’m sticking to my decision.”

“But I do want this! I want to take care of both Minhyuk and you.” He argued.

“How, Kibum? How are you going to do that when you’re on the verge on losing your chance to debut? You can’t live off your parents forever. I won’t let that happen, not when I still have a say. I’ve made my decision already. It’s either you leave, or I will.” You said with a harsh tone of finality in your voice.

“I’ll make my own way back. I need to clear my head.” You said as you stood up and left first.

 

=============

Rushing to add this new chapter before the day ends for me!! 

And the conflict drama has finally arrived. All good things must come to an end right?