50-

Letting You Go

 

It was a really lazy Friday afternoon. The weather had changed all of a sudden and it started to rain heavily. On top of that, you had been feeling more pressure, on your back, than usual whenever you were standing so you were reduced to lounging on the couch in the living room. You were in the midst of flipping through one of Kibum’s fashion magazines when you felt immense pressure in your belly.

You put down the magazine and instinctively rubbed your belly with your hands to try and relieve the pressure. When the pressure didn’t ease up after a couple of minutes, you shifted and changed your sitting position to see if it would help but it didn’t. The slightly uncomfortable pressure sort of became a dull ache that continued to bother you even when you finally stood up and went to prepare dinner. You were in the middle of cutting the vegetables when you felt a really strong and painful contraction in your belly, causing you to drop everything. The pain was so bad that you doubled over, one hand on your belly and the other gripping the kitchen counter for support.

When the pain eventually subsided, you immediately reached for your handphone and called Kibum but he didn’t pick up and you went to voicemail. You felt panic rising inside you as you ended the call but forced yourself to relax by taking a deep breaths. You slowly remembered the instructions your doctor had given to you and made your way to the bathroom after turning off the stove.

Taking a warm bath helped to relax your muscles and also soothe the aches that you had been feeling for most of the day. You had experienced 2 more contractions before you were done with your bath and you were now back on the couch. You contemplated about calling Kibum again but decided against it since you were expecting him to be home soon. You distracted yourself by once again flipping through the magazine that you had been reading earlier.

Kibum walked through the front door about 30 minutes later while you were having a contraction. “Pumpkin! What’s wrong?” He quickly sat down beside you.

“Why didn’t you answer your phone?” You whimpered, still in pain.

You saw him fiddling with his pockets and then rummaging through his bag to find his phone. “I’m SORRY! I didn’t check it after class.” He said after seeing that there was a missed call from you.

“What did I miss?” He shifted closer to you and rubbed your belly gently. “Is he kicking you again?”

You shook you head. “It’s so much worse this time. He’s coming.”

You felt Kibum tense up and literally turned into stone. You knew that this was just his way of dealing with the situation and it was much better than if he panicked but you were starting to get worried because he had stopped breathing too.

You waved your hand in front of his face. “Hello? Are you still there?”

He blinked and he finally took in a breath and spoke, “Yeah, I’m here. Ok, I’ll go get the hospital bag and then we’ll get you to the hospital.”

You nodded and he hurried to your room to get the said bag.

“Ok, let’s go.” He huffed while supporting you as you stood up.

The both of you took a cab to the hospital and you were admitted immediately to the maternity wards and everything after that was just a blur.  You were hooked up to a heart monitor and had another one strapped around your belly. You weren’t too sure how much time had passed but you had barely gotten settled in your room when a nurse came to check on you and said that you were ready. After a whole lot of pain and pushing and grabbing onto Kibum’s hands or anything that was in your reach, you finally heard a cry. You relaxed and looked up at the ceiling, finally able to have a moment to catch your breath.

Kibum was watching every moment of everything, not wanting to miss even a single second. His eyes were filled with so much wonder and joy and even love. You only snapped out of your daze when the nurse placed a wrapped bundle on your chest. You instinctively held onto it and looked down at your baby boy. He had stopped crying and as you gazed softly into his big eyes, you could almost see the unconditional love and trust in them.

He had Junhyung’s nose but other than that, he mostly took after you. He was gorgeous for a baby boy. You reached out and gently his cheek with your index finger as you whispered, “Hello, my little angel.” Kibum was beside you taking photos but when you brought your son closer to him, he automatically stopped and reached out for him. “Say hi to your godfather.” You cooed to your son as you passed him to Kibum to carry.

“Hi there, little one.” He whispered as he gazed softly at your son.

He was a natural and had no problems with handling the baby. Your son didn’t even make a noise from being away from you as Kibum gently cooed his hello too. Your son soon fell asleep and the nurse took him away so that you too could get some rest. You fell asleep almost instantly and only woke up a few hours later.

The first thing you saw when you opened your eyes was Kibum, who was sitting in a chair that was against the wall, cradling your son in his arms and humming softly to him while rocking him gently. You wondered how he could be so good at everything he did, even this. You saw a cot on the other side of your bed, the ones in the hospitals that looked clear and could be wheeled around, and knew that the nurse must have brought your son to your room. You shifted slight and the rustling of your clothes against the sheets made Kibum stop humming and look up at you.

“Oh, you’re awake.” He said and gave you a warm smile as he stood up and moved towards your bed. “He woke up not too long ago so the nurse brought him over but you were still asleep, and I know you’re tired, so I held him for a bit.”

You smiled up at him and nodded slightly. He carefully placed your son in your arms and then helped you adjust your bed so that you were in a more upright position before sitting at the edge of the bed. Your son was now wrapped tightly in a light blue blanket and only his head was exposed. You lightly brushed his soft fine hair and gently tapped the tip of his tiny nose. Kibum took out his handphone and held it in the air while leaning closer to you so that the shot would be able to capture all three of you. You looked up at the camera and smiled just as Kibum took a picture.

“Look look! Our first family picture!” He said, sounding very pleased, as he showed you the picture he took.

“Can you send that to me too? It’s a nice picture.” You asked while trying to stifle a yawn.

“Sure! You need more rest though.” He commented and you just shook your head, wanting to spend more time holding your son.

“Have you thought of a name yet?” He asked.

“I initially had a few names in mind but I’ve decided on Minhyuk.” You said while looking down at your son.

“Minhyuk… Minnie… Hyukkie.” He said, as if testing the name on his tongue. “It’s a nice name.” You heard approval in his voice.

The both of you continued to shower Minhyuk with attention until he fell back asleep. You placed a gentle kiss on his forehead before Kibum placed him back into the cot and turned back to see you yawning again.

“You should really get more rest.” He scolded gently. “Don’t worry and just sleep. I’ll take care of everything.” He said as he lowered your bed back down.

You just nodded, shifting slightly to get into a comfortable position before shutting your eyes. Sleep didn’t come to you immediately though and thoughts ran wild in your mind.

“Kibum?” You called out while cracking open your eyes. You saw him looking at you with both eyebrows raised, obviously more than a little surprised to be called.

“Hmm?” He answered.

“Why do you think the important guys in my life always leave me? Is there something wrong with me?” Your voice was thick with sleep but he knew you were serious. You only called him that when you were being serious.

“Don’t say that. There’s nothing wrong with you at all. You’re perfect to me, pumpkin.” He reassured as he gently brushed the hair away from your face.

 “Hmm, you always know what to say.” You smiled contentedly before shutting your eyes again. “I know I always tease you for being a diva but you’re still a guy and you’re very important to me. So please don’t leave me too…” You mumbled before you finally fell asleep.

Kibum leaned forward and placed a kiss on your forehead. “Don’t you worry, I’m not going anywhere, -------.”

 

=================

The baby's here!!! Yay! But this means there is one extra character for me to write now. Haha. 

Just to give all of you an update on my writing progress, my little trip overseas as well as the Christmas holidays have set me back BIG TIME. I'm super stressed trying to churn out chapters quickly but I realize that my chapters are getting longer and longer -.- 

Anyhow, I'll try my best to bring you daily updates still even though the new year celebrations are looming ahead =/

Hope you all enjoy this chapter!!