44-

Letting You Go

The weeks passed quickly and before you knew it, you were already into your third trimester. You stopped working at the flower shop as promised and spent your time either at home or at the public library. It was only now that you fully understood and appreciated why Kibum didn’t want you continue working. You were much bigger now and often had trouble doing the simplest of things, even squatting or standing up from sitting positions was that much more challenging. Your back also started to hurt if you stood for long periods of time. 

You still made an effort to take short walks at the park near the apartment though, especially since your doctor said that the exercise would be good for both you and the baby. It was already fall and the weather was getting colder each day so you began wearing the thicker clothes that Kibum had bought for you on a separate shopping trip. It wasn’t as painful an experience as compared to the first time because you didn’t fight it anymore and when you didn’t, you discovered that you actually were able to find enjoyment in the experience. You liked the way Kibum’s eyes glinted with approval when he liked what you tried on and found yourself willing to try on all the clothes he piled on you just for a chance to see it.

You strolled to the park and enjoyed the fresh air and scenery. It suddenly reminded you of your mom and you missed her a lot. You called her every month but still missed her. She didn’t want you to call too often because she knew that it would be expensive for you and that you needed to save as much money as you could. You understood where she was coming from but right now, you just really felt like talking to her.

You sat down at one of the benches in the park and took out your phone to call your mom. You hoped that she would still be awake as it was probably around 11 in the night in Korea. However, the phone rang until the dial tone went dead and you ended the call.  It looked like she had already gone to bed. You let out a sigh and closed your eyes while leaning back against the bench.

All of a sudden, a pair of hands covered your eyes from behind. “Guess who?” An all too familiar voice chimed.

“You do know that you’re the only person I know over here, don’t you, Kibum?” You stated.

“You’re no fun at all.” He said as he came around the bench and sat down beside you. “What the sigh just now?”

“Are you stalking me now?” You arched an eyebrow.

“Hey! It’s not my fault that you’re so predictable. I was on my way back and thought that you might be here so I came back to check. That’s all.”

You chuckled. “I was just kidding. Anyway, to answer your question, I just suddenly missed my mom but when I tried to call her, she didn’t pick up. I guess she’s already asleep.”

“Well, just give her a call tomorrow morning then. I’m sure she would be awake.” He suggested. “Until then, I’ll keep you company ok?”

You smiled and nodded, already feeling slightly better.

“Let’s go home. I’ll make you a yummy dinner to cheer you up. Are you craving for anything today?” He asked.

“Nope, but I like everything you cook. So I’ll be happy with anything!” Just thinking about dinner made you hungry and as if on cue, your stomach grumbled.

He laughed. “Let’s hurry then, before your stomach decides to eat itself.”

Even though he said that, he still helped to support you while you tried to get up from the bench. You never once complained about having trouble standing or how your back hurt from supporting the extra weight but he always noticed even the tiniest of things. You appreciated it and thanked him in your heart because you knew that he would feel embarrassed if you called him out.

That night, after a delicious dinner, you walked out of the kitchen after doing the dishes to see Kibum chatting with Jinki on Skype. It sounded like they were having a rather serious discussion so you didn’t want to intrude and went to your bedroom to read a book that you had borrowed from the library just a few days back.

You were at your sixth chapter when you heard a soft knock on your bedroom door.

“Come in.” You called out.

Kibum cracked the door open just a little bit. “Hey, you weren’t sleeping were you?”

“Nope, I was reading a storybook. Why?” You asked.

“Well, Jinki hyung wants to talk to you for a bit.” His thumb pointed in the direction of the dining room.

“Oh? Did he mention what about?” You cocked your head to the side.

“No. He didn’t say. All he said was that he wanted to talk to you alone for a while.” He answered. “Are you ok with it? I could always just tell him that you’re already asleep.” He offered when he saw your puzzled expression and mistook it for reluctance.

You quickly shook your head. “No no, you don’t have to do that. I’m fine with talking to Jinki oppa.” You shifted from under your comforter and carefully got off the bed.

Kibum held the door open for you as you passed him to leave your room. You could hear his soft foot steps behind you though. You sat down in front of Kibum’s laptop and Jinki’s smiling face greeted you.

“Hello, oppa!” You greeted.

“Hello, -------ah!” He said enthusiastically.

“Hyung, I’ve brought ------- here already so I’ll be in my room now.” You sensed the reluctance to leave in his voice but decided to pretend that you couldn’t tell.

“Oppa, what is it that you want to talk to me about?” You asked when you heard the door to Kibum’s bedroom click shut.

“I know I’m not that close a friend to you but I just wanted you to know that I’m here for you if you need anything or if there is anything that you can’t tell Kibum about. Ok?”

“Ok, oppa. I’ll keep that in mind but is that all you wanted to say?” You asked.

“Er.. no. Actually, I was wondering about what your first impression of Kibum was.” He said.

You chuckled. “Well, to be completely honest, when I first saw him, I thought he would be rude and conceited but as I got to know him, I realized that that is just a mask he wears. He’s actually a really warm, kind, caring and considerate person. Oh, and not to mention generous and a good cook too! I can see why you all treat him like he’s your real omma.” You whispered the last part.

Jinki burst out in laughter and almost fell off his chair again. “I can see why Kibum likes you so much.”

You smiled. “The feelings are mutual you know. It’s impossible not to like him, or all of you for that matter.” You said in mock exasperation.

He laughed again.

“I was also wondering about what you thought about me.” He asked, somewhat sheepishly, after he managed to control his laughter.

“Well, when I first saw you, you had this lost and confused expression on your face. It was quite amusing actually but when you smiled, your face just lighted up immediately. I love your smile, it makes everything seem better. So, you should smile more.”

“Ok, I will! But I was also wondering whether you think that I’m a good leader?” This time, he was really embarrassed to ask.

“Oppa, although you don’t talk much and don’t say a lot, it’s really obvious from a third person’s point of view, which is me of course, that all the members, Kibummie included, respect you more than anyone. They make tease you or bully you and Kibum may nag and fuss everyone around but he really respects and listens to you. You should listen to the way he talks about you and the others. You’re a fantastic leader and I’m sure the rest would agree with me. So, don’t doubt yourself, ok?” You reassured.

“Ok. Thanks, -------ah. This really means a lot.” He smiled, his face slightly pink.

“Silly oppa. I didn’t even do anything. I was just speaking the truth.” You smiled back.

He rubbed the back of his neck. “Oh, remember that I’m always here if you need to talk ok?”

“I will, oppa. You should add me on Skype. I’ll approve it when I go online. Do you want me to call Kibum back now? I think he has already created a small depression in his bedroom floor from his pacing.” You joked.

Once again, Jinki laughed out but he nodded and you stood up and went to fetch Kibum after saying “good night” to him.

“Kibummie?” You cracked open the door to Kibum’s bedroom after knocking it and saw that he was indeed pacing around his room.

“Kibummie.” You said again and this time you managed to get his attention. “Jinki oppa wants to talk to you again.” You informed.

“--------! What did he say? Was it anything bad?” He strode to you, a look of worry flashed across his face.

You shook your head. “No, he didn’t say anything bad at all. It was just a really harmless conversation. I promise that there is nothing to worry about.”

Kibum looked at you for while, his eyes searching yours for any tell-tale signs that you were lying. But in the end, you couldn’t find any and breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Alright, go on. Jinki oppa is still waiting. I’ll be going to bed first. Good night, Kibummie!”

He turned his head to look at you, a small smile on his face. “Good night, -------.”

 

===============

Happy Birthday to Beast's rapper, Yong Junhyung!!