36-

Letting You Go

 

You were desperately trying to get your laptop set up as fast as you could when you heard Kibum enter your room. “What was that?” He looked at you with a puzzled expression.

“I’m supposed to Skype with Soojin as soon as I found a place. She’s going to be so worried. She’s going to murder me. I just know it.” You whimpered and started to panic.

“He walked towards you and grasped your hands in his, stopping you from panicking. “Calm down. You’ve already made her wait for a few hours. I really doubt a couple more minutes would make a difference. Now breathe. Deep breaths. Slowly.” You did as directed and felt yourself relaxing.

“Better?” He asked, amusement in his voice.

You nodded. “Yeah. It’s not funny though. You have no idea how much she can nag. She’s practically the female version of you!” You grumbled.

He laughed heartily. “Don’t drag me into this. Now come on, the wifi signal is the strongest at the dining table.” He picked up your notebook and left the room.

“-------!” Soojin voice rang out from the speakers of your netbook the moment your webchat has connected to hers. Kibum heard the tone in her voice and quickly disappeared into the kitchen. Traitor.

“Hello, omma.” You waved at the webcam sheepishly.

“What took you so long?! Do you know how worried I was?!” She chided.

“Sorry. I got distracted by… things and forgot to call you.” You admitted.

She narrowed her eyes at you. “What sort of things exactly? And where are you staying? It looks like a really nice place.”

You looked behind you. It was a plain white wall with an abstract painting hanging on it. “You can tell just from the wall?” You looked back at her, confused.

She rolled her eyes. “Of course not. I’m just trying to be nice in case you didn’t find a cosy place to stay in. So, are you at a guesthouse or hostel?”

“Actually, neither.”

“Hotel?!”

“Nope. You know I can’t afford that.” You said wryly.

“Then?! Can you just tell me? I’m about to die of worry already!”

You couldn’t help but laugh. “It’s actually quite a long story.” You looked up at Kibum who was busy in the kitchen.

“Ok, tell it quick then but don’t leave out the important details! I need to hear everything before I can sleep tonight!” She stressed.

You told her, as quickly as you could, about how you met Kibum and everything that had happened after that. It didn’t really take that long, since you only met him for a day, but after the question and answer session you had with him earlier, you felt like you knew him for much longer. When you were done, she had demanded to speak to Kibum herself. You tried your best to dissuade her but she wouldn’t give in, which is why you were currently standing in the kitchen giving Kibum a doe-eyed look.

“Oh no. What do you want from me?” Kibum asked, a little afraid of the look you were giving him.

“Soojin unni, wants to talk to you for a bit. Can you come out? It won’t take long? Please??” You pleaded.

He sighed and turned off the gas before leaving the kitchen.

He sat down in front of your netbook and you settled into the seat beside him. “Omma, this is Kibum.” You said, ignoring the questioning look he gave you. “Kibum, that’s my best friend, Soojin unni.” You told him while giving him the ‘I’ll tell you later’ look. He nodded and looked back at the screen.

"Ok, -------ah, can you please let me talk to Kibum alone?” Your eyes widened and you shook your head rather violently. “Kibum, will you please make sure she’s somewhere where she can’t overhear us?” She knew that you wouldn’t leave voluntarily, so she switched tactics.

You whined and made a face at Soojin before you stood up. “Oh, please tell my omma that I’m safe!” You reminded and she nodded. You walked to your bedroom with Kibum following closely behind you. You entered the bedroom and turned around, wanting about to warn Kibum about Soojin when he just shut the door in your face. You pouted and pressed the side of your face into the door, trying to hear their conversation. You couldn’t hear anything though and gave up after a few minutes. You looked at your unpacked suitcase sitting in the corner and decided that since you were stuck in your bedroom, you might as well do something productive instead of worrying.

You actually managed to unpack and keep all your clothes in the closet, even though you didn’t have that many to begin with, before you heard your bedroom door open. “That was long.” You commented without turning around to face him.

He chuckled. “Yeah. We had a good chat. She’s just looking out for you, you know. Now I understand why you call her ‘omma’. Anyway, she already ended the web chat. She told me to tell you that she approves and will talk to you tmr. Oh, and also to remind you that you have your doctor’s appointment tomorrow.”

You had completely forgotten about it but tried not the let it show. Unfortunately, he saw right through your act. “You really forgot, didn’t you?” He burst out in laughter when you scrunched up you face, unable to deny it. “She said that you would. I guess she really is your best friend huh.” He added before shaking his head a little, a smile still on his face.

“Oh, by the way, is that really all the clothes that you have?” He pointed to your half-filled closet and gave you an incredulous look.

“Umm. Yes?” You answered, slightly unsure of the situation you were in now.

“That is just unacceptable! What will you wear when you’re bigger?!” He exclaimed.

“These?” You pointed to the over-sized tees you had in your closet.

He rubbed his temples. “Ok, forget I asked. We’re going shopping as soon as we get the chance to and no, you have no say in this.” He said, when you opened your mouth to protest. The finality in his voice made you clamp your shut instead of trying to argue. This was one of those arguments that you would never be able to win, especially when he was in this… diva-like mood.

“Ok.” You gulped.

“Oh, I forgot. We’re going to get you a phone too. How can you not have a working phone when you’re on your own in a foreign country?!” He chided.

You cringed and nodded your constent while keeping you head bowed. He was practically the male version of Soojin, except only worse.

He nodded in approval before walking back to the kitchen to finish cooking dinner. You wondered if you would ever get used to his drastic mood changes.

 

=======================

Sorry! This update came later than usual. Had a really really busy morning and barely had any sleep also. *yawn*

Shall go back to writing now :)

Enjoy!