29-

Letting You Go

 

You still had about 45 minutes to spare before your boarding gate would be open. You didn’t want to walk around as you knew that it would just tire you out so you chose to sit in one of the many empty seats available near the boarding gate and wait out the time.

You remembered your doctor’s advice to keep yourself well-hydrated before the flight, so you made sure that you finished the small bottle of water that you had brought with you. You took out you handphone and called your mom to tell her that you were about to board your flight. She told you to take care of yourself and to call her when you reached Las Vegas. After the call ended, you looked at your phone and wondered if you should give Junhyung one last call, to hear his voice one last time. You played with the idea in your head before finally pressing the call button. You pressed the phone to your ear as you listened to the ringing tone but he didn’t answer the call and you were diverted to voicemail. You thought about ending the call but you just couldn’t. You couldn’t leave without a word, you weren’t like him. “Oppa, it’s me, ------. Please take care of yourself… and be happy. Goodbye.” You said softly into the phone after the tone. You ended the call and switched off your phone.

You looked at the time and there was still five minutes before the gates opened, you threw away the now empty bottle of water and made your way to the bathroom. You found yourself needing to use the bathroom a lot more frequently and your doctor said that it was normal because as the baby grew, it would put increasing pressure on your bladder, which is the cause of your frequent visits to the bathroom.

When you cleared the screening at the boarding gate and subsequently boarded the plane, you were surprised to find that you had been assigned a window seat, when you specifically requested when you checked-in for an aisle seat. You had no choice but to seat in your seat and hope that the person sitting beside you be kind enough to agree to change seats with you.

The plane was slowly being filled but your seatmate was still nowhere in sight. You got your hopes up thinking that maybe there wasn’t anyone seating beside you but they were dented the moment you saw a very fashionably dressed guy, who looked to be around your age, walk down the aisle. His hair looked like it had been styled to frame his face perfectly. Your eyes were fixed on him as he walked down the aisle and made it look like it was a runway of a fashion show. You didn’t even bother to try and hide your stare as you were pretty sure that everyone in the plane had their eyes fixed on him as well. He was boyish but also very pretty, almost too pretty, and he knew it. He didn’t even seem bothered about the attention he was getting. In fact, you could have sworn that you saw his lips form into a smirk, but only for a split second, before he resumed his look of indifference.

Even though you were quite certain that the seat beside you was the only empty one, you couldn’t help but pray as he moved closer and closer to your row. Please don’t let it be him. Please, not him. He walked to your row and you held your breath. You saw him look at the row number overhead and then at his boarding stub before taking off his backpack and settling down beside you. You let out a sigh and looked down at your lap, missing the puzzled look he shot you.

You couldn’t decide whether it was his confidence or his good looks that made you feel slightly intimidated to talk to him. Or was it both? You took a deep breath and turned to your seatmate. “Hi. I’m sorry about this but I was wondering if I could change seats with you?” You rattled out.

He looked at you, only slightly surprised, before taking out one side of his earphones. Of course! Why didn’t I notice that! You mentally smacked yourself in the head. “Sorry. Could you repeat that? I didn’t hear you.” His politeness stumped you for a bit before your brain jolted back into reality.

“Oh. Umm.. I was just wondering if you could perhaps change seats with me.” You tried to give him a pleading look.

“Can I ask why?” He asked, looking genuinely curious.

“Uh.. well… It’s my first time flying and I don’t like being by the window.” You were really bad at lying but you still hoped that he bought your excuse.

“Why didn’t you request for a non-window seat when you checked-in then?” He arched an eyebrow.

“I did! But the lady must have misheard. So will you change seats with me?” You were sure that you looked desperate now.

He shook his head. “Sorry, I would gladly change seats with you if this wasn’t a long flight. But if I have to seat by the window for 13 hours without space to stretch my legs out, I think I might go insane.” He looked so apologetic that you almost felt like apologising for even asking.

He went back to listening to his music, after the conversation ended, while you contemplated your situation. You would have no choice but you try and drink as little water as possible. You were sure that no matter how nice he was being right now, he wouldn’t appreciate you getting up and going to the restroom every hour. You felt confused just thinking about him. After having that short conversation with him, you didn’t understand how he could be the same person as the one you saw walking down the aisle. Eventually, you came to a conclusion that either he was studying acting, or he had a split personality. You really hoped that it was the former.

The plane started moving and that jerked you out of your thoughts. You cringed at the thought of the 13 hour long flight with limited trips to the restroom. This really wasn’t what you signed up for.

He saw you cringe and held out his hand, palm up. “You could hold my hand if you’re really nervous.” He offered with a smile.

You returned the smile with an awkward one and took his hand when you couldn’t find a polite way to refuse his offer. You didn’t feel nervous before but now that you were holding his hand, you felt more nervous than ever and it showed. Thankfully, he thought that it was because this was your first time flying and told you that you might feel better if you closed your eyes. You did as he said and surprisingly, it did calm you down, so much so that you fell asleep without even knowing it.

 

======================

I think it's pretty obvious who the mystery guy is right? :D