15-

Letting You Go

 

The new school semester had started. It was already coming to a year and a half since Junhyung moved out. Even from what little you found when you actually went online, you could see that he was doing well. Although you were mostly happy for him, part of you felt a little bitter that he was doing just fine without you.

You were doing your assignment at the table in front of the television like every day. The television that had been showing the news was now switched off. It was already close to midnight and the house was silent save for the distinct scratching of pen on paper. You had an assignment due the next day so you were rushing to complete it. Normally, you would have already completed your assignment but these few days, you had taken extra shifts at the café to cover for one of your co-workers who was unwell. As a result, you didn’t have enough time for your assignment and now you had to rush.

All of a sudden, you were slightly startled by a faint knock on the door. You weren’t expecting anyone today, especially not at this hour. “Who is it?” You called out without getting up. You waited for a few seconds but there was no response so you just shrugged it off as a prank and continued doing your assignment. A few minutes later, you heard muffled sounds of what sounded like the rustling of clothes followed by a soft thud and then silence. This time, instead of just heading back to work, you stood up and walked to the door. Curiosity had gotten the better of you.

You took a peek through the peephole but didn’t see anyone outside. I must be so sleepy that I’m beginning to imagine things. You furrowed your brows a little. Oh well, I better quickly finish up the assignment so that I can sleep then. You were about to walk back towards the table when you heard a groan. You raised your eyebrows and a soft gasp escaped your lips before you covered your mouth with both hands. That sounded really close!

You removed your hands from your mouth, quietly unlocked your door and slowly opened the door a crack to take a peak outside. You saw someone in a hoodie slumped in front of your door. You wanted to ignore him but you knew that you would still have to deal with him in the morning. Moreover, you didn’t think you would be able to concentrate on your assignment or fall asleep knowing that a strange man was sleeping right in front of your door.

You shut the door again and went into mini panic mode. You had never had to deal with such a situation before and now that you were living alone, you didn’t know who to turn to for help. You ran to the table, grabbed your phone and quickly called Soojin. She didn’t pick up and the line rang until it went to voicemail. Oh right! Unni must be asleep already. You smacked your forehead but with a little too much force. “Ow!” You rubbed the area that was stinging.

An idea popped into your head and you headed to the kitchen. Armed with a mop in one hand, you slowly opened the door again. This time, a little wider and stuck the pole end of the mop out to nudge the sleeping stranger before pulling it back. “Ahjussi, wake up. You can’t sleep here.” You pleaded and it seemed to work. The man shifted for a bit, and much to your horror, curled up into a tight ball and fell back asleep.

You mentally cursed your luck. Why must it be today of all days? You remembered your unfinished assignment and grew a little frustrated. You stuck the mop out again and nudged the man with more force. “Yah! Ahjussi! You really can’t sleep here!” You shouted. The man groaned at the noise and mussed his hair in frustration. You were about to shut the door when the man’s hood fell back and revealed his face. Your eyes widen. It was a face that you were very familiar with.