101-

Letting You Go

 

“Was Kibum the one who gave that to you?” Your mom’s voice brought you out of your reverie.

“Mmm?” You hummed, having not heard anything that your mom had said.

“I said, did Kibum give you that ring that you wear around your neck?” She repeated before continuing, “You’ve been playing with it for the last 30 minutes even though your mind was elsewhere.”

Your cheeks turned slightly pink at being caught and nodded. “He left it for me in LA when he had to come back to Korea.”

Your mom noticed your pink cheeks and laughed. “Oh, sweetheart, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. I was just asking out of curiousity since I see the way that boy looks at you and how he even goes out of his way to take care of you.” She explained. “Can I take a look at it?”

“The way he looks at me?” Your eyebrows creased together even as you removed the necklace from your neck and passed it to your mom. You remembered Leeteuk saying something similar but you didn’t get the chance to ask him about it. “What way does Kibum look at me, omma?” You asked, since this was you wouldn’t get a better opportunity to find out then.

“Well, I’ve noticed during the few times that I’ve seen the both of you together, that he looks at you with so much longing and adoration. At first, I thought it was a little strange, but then… I realized that it wasn’t a one-sided thing.” She carefully answered, taking a tentative glance in your direction after examining the ring.

“So… is there a particular reason why you don’t wear this ring?” Your mom pressed after seeing that you weren’t going to protest against what she had just said.

“At that time… Junhyung…” You trailed off, a frown forming on your face as you tried to explain.

“It’s alright. I get it.” Your mom nodded shortly. “But why are you still not wearing it now? Do you still have feelings for Junhyung?”

“I’m not sure.” You sighed. “I really can’t figure it out and I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to end up hurting Kibum’s feelings just because I can’t make up my mind.”

Your mom moved closer to you and made you look up at her before placing her hands on each side of your face. Her eyes were suddenly soft. “Sweetheart, I know it’s hard for you but I don’t think you can afford to avoid this question any longer. It wouldn’t be fair to Kibum if you hide behind your uncertainty. You have to face it and find out your true feelings, even if you’re afraid of the answer. Ok?” Your mom looked you straight in the eye and asked in a serious tone.

You gulped and nodded stiffly. Satisfied, your mom finally released your head from her hold and patted your head. “But… omma, what if I end up making the wrong decision?” You asked worriedly.

“I don’t believe that you will. Just trust your heart and remember that loving someone and being in love with them are two very different things.” She smiled before patting you on the shoulder and leaving you alone to think.

 

You glanced at the clock on the wall. It was already close to midnight. Both your mom and Minhyuk were already fast asleep but Kibum still hadn’t showed up and hadn’t texted or called your either. You were beginning to worry when your phone suddenly rang, startling you.

“Hello, Kibum?” You answered when you saw his name flash on the caller ID.

“Hey, yeah, it’s me.” He sighed and you knew what to expect already. “I’m really really sorry about this but I’m still stuck at practice…”

“It’s alright!” You said as cheerfully as you could so that he wouldn’t feel even worse. “Don’t worry, we can always talk another time since we stay so close to each other. Will you all be able to get enough rest before your schedule tomorrow?” You asked, your words filled with concern.

“Don’t worry about us. We’re used to this already. You should go get some rest though. You have to work tomorrow as well. Sorry again, for making you wait up.”

“Don’t keep apologising. I already said it was alright, didn’t I?” You chided somewhat teasingly. “Will you all be coming over for breakfast? I’m thinking of making waffles-”

You stopped talking when you hear a scuffle on the other end of the line. “Yah! Yah!” You heard Kibum shout.

“Noona~ We’ll be over for breakfast bright and early tomorrow! Can I please have strawberry sauce with my waffles?” Taemin’s sweet voice suddenly came through the speaker.

You laughed as your imagination took over and filled in what most likely happened over on Kibum’s end. “Of course you can, Taeminnie. I’ll make some for you.” You replied while biting back laughter.

“YAY!” You heard Taemin’s cheer, although his voice sounded more distant this time, which was followed by rustling sounds that were distinct of the phone being passed.

“That boy.” Kibum grumbled. “I swear he goes crazy whenever it comes to food especially when it comes to breakfast. He’s a monster in the mornings!”

You chuckled at Kibum’s adorable complaint. “You have no idea how cute you sound right now.” The words slipped out of your mouth before you could stop them.

“I do not!” He protested, his voice going slightly higher.

“Yes, you do.” You insisted.

“You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you? To punish me for not turning up.” He whined.

“No-“ You began but stopped talking when you heard Onew ask faintly in the background.

“Why is Kibum whining?”

“Because he wants to see ------ noona but he can’t because he’s stuck here.” You heard Taemin answer in a deliberately loud voice.

“That kid really... Ok, I have to go and strangle Taemin now so I’ll hang up first. Have a good rest!”

“Ok, see you at breakfast.” You said and the last thing you heard before the call was cut off was “Noooo! Noona! Hyungs! Save me!”

You shook you head as you laughed lightly at Taemin’s weak plea. That night, you went to bed with a smile on your face.

 

The next time you actually got to see Kibum after breakfast the following morning, was exactly a week after that. They were extremely busy with their individual schedules on variety shows as well as preparing for their next comeback promotions. You had heard a little bit of the song over the phone and knew that it was titled ‘Jojo’ but you hadn’t gotten a chance to get a preview of the choreography yet.

“Long day?” You asked as Kibum walked past you into the house after you had opened the door for him.

“Yeah~” He breathed as he collapsed on the couch with a soft plop.

“Are you hungry? Do you want me to make something for you to eat?” You stood in front of the couch and motioned towards the kitchen.

“No no. I’m fine. Sit.” He shook his head while rearranging himself into a sitting position and patting beside him.

You obeyed and sat down beside him, wondering what he had on his mind. “So…” You began but your sentence was completed by him instead. “Let’s talk.”

“Huh?” You said blankly, taken aback by the sudden interruption and change of topic.

“There’s something that I’ve been meaning to tell you, well, more like ask you really and you have something to tell me too right?” He looked to you for confirmation and you could only nod, suddenly understanding the situation.

“So, do you want to go first?” He offered but continued when he was met with your blank stare. “Or should I start?” He asked, poking you in the arm to try and get a response.

It worked and you managed to snap out of your daze, only to meet his puzzled stare. “Oh! No, I’ll start. I’ll start.”

You fidgeted a little and turned your body so that you could face him but when you met his gaze, your mind became blank. “Actually, this is a little difficult for me. Maybe you should start.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yup.” You nodded. “You start.”

He gave you one last look in case you decided to change your mind again but continued when you didn’t. “This really wasn’t supposed to be the way I asked you this but seeing as how my plans don’t seem to be going the way I want them to, I don’t want to delay this anymore. Especially since we’re going to have another comeback soon and then there will be all of the end-of-year music programs right after.” He paused and took a deep breath as he reached into his pocket for something.

“Do you think you’re able to put this on now?” He opened his fist to reveal the ring that he had left for you. You instinctively reached for the necklace, only to find that your neck was bare.

“Will you officially be my girlfriend?” He asked in a soft voice when you finally met his eyes.

“How did you get that?” You asked, puzzled. Your hand still feeling around your neck, wondering how you hadn’t noticed that it was gone.

He laughed but it came out sounding nervous and slightly off. “I had a little talk with your mom that day at breakfast and asked her for a favour.” He explained and the atmosphere quickly became serious once again.

“So… will you?” He asked again, holding the ring up to you. There was so much hope in his eyes that you almost couldn’t bring yourself to say what you had to. 

 

========

Sorry if you feel like you've been through an emtional rollercoaster on this chapter =/ and don't kill me for the ending~~

The end is near~~~~

Enjoy my lovelies ^^

Oh and one last thing, the data that was lost got receovered and I went to retrieve the comments that were lost! Here they are :) 

Thanks for the comments and sorry for not replying to them! I'll definitely reply you if you leave another comment!! And also, a belated congratulations to hopelesswriter for managing to guess that it was Leeteuk who the main character called ^_^ You're seriously a psychic! *throws confetti*