Eight

Under His Wing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And to verify these identities, you just mismatch and try different formulas that do work.” Aerin instructs Baekhyun to do, and the guy looks at her like she’s speaking total gibberish.

 

“Okay, but this seems impossible. There’s nothing I can replace to make it equal 1.”

 

“It’s certainly possible,” Aerin assures him, “I don’t know… maybe you can try--cough, cough--cos squared plus sin squared?”

 

“Ohhhh!” Baekhyun says, “I see it now! Hey, that was actually easy.”

 

Aerin rolls her eyes. She couldn’t possibly be on Baekhyun’s side during the test and guide him the entire time.

 

Aerin went over Baekhyun’s house to help him out with his upcoming math test. Though she was a little bummed out on missing the school mixer that literally everybody else on campus went to, she was glad to herself that she was able to help a friend in need.

 

But even now, she wasn’t even sure if her help made any difference. Baekhyun was hopeless to get through to; she could repeat something fifty times and he couldn’t even recite it back properly.

 

Aerin sighs. “Study these formulas. Every single formula for 15 minutes by yourself.”

 

Baekhyun laughs, “What do you want me to do? Just stare at the paper for 15 minutes?”

 

“That’s exactly what I’m saying. Grab a piece of paper to write them over and over again to better remember.” Aerin says with a serious, straight face, and directs Baekhyun to the corner by himself.

 

Baekhyun looks at her like a little kid that just got in trouble, “Okay… will do, master.”

 

While Baekhyun is off by himself glaring down the set of formulas, Aerin takes the time to check up on Chanyeol. When she opens her phone, she sees that he texted her a photo of him pouting.

 

The following text says: We’re missing you, Aerin!

 

Aerin chuckles at how ridiculously cute the picture is and discretely saves it. She responds back: Don’t miss me too much, see you later ♥. She contemplates if the heart is a bit too much, but says “ it” and leaves it be.

 

After checking her absolutely dead-and-obsolete social media, Baekhyun comes back with the set of formulas and a piece of paper that is filled with rewriting them.

 

“I think I’m finished!” Baekhyun confidently says. “Putting me in that corner forced me to stay quiet and just focus on that one thing. I think that’s gonna be my new spot!”

 

Aerin grins, “Great! Now move every single book and notebook to that corner; you’re gonna stay there for the rest of the night!”

 

Baekhyun scoffs, “No, no. I did not mean it like that.” When he finishes his sentence though, Aerin is already moving his backpack and calculator to the corner.

 

“Alright, sheesh! I’m gonna take a break.”

 

Aerin sighs, “It’s barely been two hours in studying and you need a break; you’re a noob when it comes to this.”

 

“But I’m tired! It’ll just be 15 minutes, swear!” Baekhyun whines, “Wait, did you just call me a noob? I haven’t been called that since the 5th grade.”

 

“Whatever, take your damn break--noob.”

 

Aerin plops on the couch, and Baekhyun follows right after and sits right next to her. She hears him let out a heavy sigh and she chuckles, “That tired, huh? From just a few formulas?”

 

Baekhyun frowns, “Hey, it was so much more than that! But yeah… my back is killing me. I hate doing this.”

 

“No one enjoys doing this. But, knowing that the fact that your grade is on the line--it’ll keep you pushing.”

 

“Heh,” Baekhyun chuckles, “You’re right. But I wouldn’t let it consume myself. School can’t be your everything in life.”

 

Aerin scoffs, as if she’s offended by the words, “You can definitely balance a social life while maintaining grades. I think like, I don’t know, 90% of students here do that?”

 

“Aerin, I’m not trying to offend you, I promise,” Baekhyun assures her. “It’s just how I think. I like to have fun, ya know? And studying isn’t the best definition of fun.”

 

“Whatever floats your boat,” Aerin cooes. It was true--it was his life, and she had no say in it.

 

“I know you see me as a party-hard, druggie boy,” Baekhyun starts.

 

“You forgot alcoholic.”

 

“Right,” Baekhyun chuckles, “I’m aware of that. But I don’t want you to think that is all of me.”

 

“You care what I think? Shocker.”

 

“Of course I do!” Baekhyun replies back, surprised. “I see you as a little sister, contrary to what that freakin’ giant thinks. I just want you to have fun, to experience what you missed out on in high school.”

 

Aerin pouts. Was it that obvious that she was completely new to this scene--that her social life was practically nonexistent in high school? Aerin did have to admit that she was having fun, but she could see where Chanyeol was coming from where it could get dangerous.

 

“Thanks?”

 

Baekhyun lets out a light laugh before talking. “I’m sorry that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter