Eighteen

Under His Wing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On one Saturday morning, Aerin wakes up to a string of texts. Her phone wasn’t on silent mode, so the constant ding! ding! ding! of her texts made her want to pull her hair out. She picks up her phone from her night stand and groggily opens her eyes to read the messages.

 

It’s their group chat, between her and the boys, and Suho is just going off about their plans for tonight. Tonight was Jongin’s big dance recital, and he had invited all of them to come. Jongin had been dancing for all his life--tonight would be a contemporary performance--and Aerin was beyond excited to finally see his talent.

 

In his texts, Suho is asking, or rather demanding, people to buy balloons, bouquets, and so on. The boys offer to pick up various tasks on their own, but the last thing they left is buying flowers. Sehun voiced this pretty clearly in his text:

 

Sehun:

 

Flowers? Wtf do I look like buying flowers?

 

So, obviously, Aerin willingly offers to pick them up. She jumps herself up from bed and stretches by raising her arms to the sky. She lets out a yawn and turns back around to make her bed. Aerin gets a glimpse of the collection of polaroid pictures she has on the wall above her bed headboard, and she smiles fondly from the memories.

 

She then turns her attention to a sequence of photos of her and Chanyeol. They did face masks that night; in the picture, they were grinning proud and wide, despite the green mask having already dried on their skin. One picture is them smiling, the next laughing, and the final one kissing.

 

Aerin makes a mental note that she was way too lovey-dovey for her liking, and she takes off the pictures from the wall. It’s just been a few days since their break-up, and Aerin thinks she’s holding up nicely. They had just met for lunch yesterday, and Chanyeol had been texting her everyday, asking how she is. Chanyeol was right, she thinks, we are okay.

 

Her eyes then scan over to a photo of her and Baekhyun. They’re wearing octopus hats--for god knows why--and both smiling so widely. Aerin chooses to keep that one there.

 

Another text message jumps her out of her thoughts. Aerin looks at it and is actually surprised to see that it’s a direct text message from Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun:

 

Hey, do you want to get the flowers together, and then ride to the recital? You know, carpool? Save the earth?

 

Aerin laughs from the text.

 

Aerin:

 

You’re dumb. But yes, pick me up at around 6 please?

 

Baekhyun replies back a simple ‘alrighty’, and that’s that. Aerin’s nervous--she has yet to see Baekhyun individually in a long time, but she definitely feels that now was an appropriate enough time.

 

 

Aerin takes this opportunity, a dance recital, to get dressed up. There’s not many times where she’s able to put on a bunch of makeup, squeeze in a pair of Spanx, and put on a tight-fitting dress. Aerin sits at her vanity table, which is scattered with eye brushes and different colored lipsticks. She opts for a warm, glowing look with bronzed cheeks, reddened eyelids, and golden highlighter sprinkled on different points of her face.

 

For her outfit, she chooses a strapless white dress that stops a little past her knee. It’s timeless, Aerin thinks. She pairs it with a pair of heels, and as a finishing touch, she sprays about five spritzes of a floral perfume all over her body.

 

On her way out, she takes a final look at her room; it’s an absolute pig sty.

 

“Yeah, clean that up later, Aerin.” She says to herself before making her way outside her room.

 

Baekhyun was already outside, and Aerin hastily runs, to the best of her ability in those heels, to his car. When she enters and closes her door the door, Baekhyun is smiling and is wearing a white button down with fitted black pants. The shirt is cuffed past his elbow, and his black watch dangles nicely on his wrist.

 

“Hey,” Baekhyun says, “You look nice.”

 

“Thanks, you do too.”

 

“So, what place should we hit up? Like just the normal grocery store or an actual florist?”

 

“Definitely grocery store. No one has enough money for a florist.”

 

“Right,” Baekhyun chuckles. The car gets silent for just a little bit, and Baekhyun turns on the radio for some ambiance. It’s an R&B channel and Sam Kim’s currently playing. Baekhyun notices a small whisper-of-a-squeal that comes out of Aerin’s mouth; she really likes the song.

 

“You know he has a concert soon.” Baekhyun says. “In Seoul, on the 30th.”

 

“What? No way! We all need to go!”

 

“Oh, good luck convincing them to do that.” Baekhyun scoffs. “All of them either like that girly K-Pop sound or some hardcore Korean trap hip-hop.”

 

“Oh, damn,” Aerin sighs. “I want to go though.”

 

“We can go, together.” Baekhyun suggests.

 

Aerin takes in a deep breath, and for a second, she forgets to breathe it out. “Cool, I’m excited.”

 

Baekhyun parks in a spot at a store, and they both get out together. The sight of them, all dressed up, is a peculiar one for sure. Aerin tries her best to just get the flowers and go, and ignore the looks from the other people there.

 

When they reach the area with the different flowers, Aerin is about to pick up one and check the price--but then she feels a slight tug on her dress. She twirls around and sees a little girl looking up to her. Aerin is towering over her right now; she would normally anyways, but with the extra height from her heels, Aerin felt like a giant.

 

“Your dress is really pretty!”

 

“Aw, thank you,” Aerin smiles, her dimples showing her true joy.

 

“Is that your boyfriend?” She asks innocently and points to the male next to her. Baekhyun smiles and looks at the ground.

 

“No, he’s not. We’re friends.”

 

“Good, he’s short.” The girl snickers to herself before running back to her parents. Baekhyun scoffs in disbelief.

 

“I ing hate kids.” Baekhyun says, once the girl is out of their sight. Aerin chuckles; children are definitely bold.

 

Aerin and Baekhyun make their decision on this one bouquet that has blue thistle and dahlia. The two bickered back and forth for a bit on which they should buy, and it reminded Aerin of old times.

 

They get

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter