Eleven

Under His Wing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aerin stabs the final thumbtack into the wall, followed by placing a matte black streamer on top. She steps back to look at her masterpiece: a fully-decorated wall with “HBD Chanyeol” in glistening, gold letters, with matching balloons on the sides. Being a perfectionist, she puts a final touch by straightening the letters, letting out a hefty sigh once she’s done.

 

It was Chanyeol’s birthday, and though they had only been dating for a short time, Aerin wanted to go all out. She had never even been a part of a friend’s birthday, nonetheless a boyfriend’s birthday, but she was excited to indulge in the festivities to make this a great one for Chanyeol. He deserved it.

 

“Baekhyun, stop eating all the damn snacks!” Suho yells. Baekhyun snickers while munching on a Lays chip. He then takes a swift glimpse around the room to see if anyone’s looking, and then proceeds to take another handful.

 

Aerin catches it and throws a bag of balloons at him, “You’re not sneaky! I saw that, fatass!”

 

Baekhyun catches the bag with both hands and smartly replies back, “And I’m a proud one at that.”

 

Aerin takes a look at her watch. It was 2:15; Chanyeol got off at 2 and would be home any time now. Realizing the urgency, she yelps, “Everyone, grab a confetti popper and hide in the corner! Chanyeol is about to be here!”

 

The boys quickly get their poppers, shuffling around and stomping loudly--Aerin felt really bad for their downstairs neighbors. They then all crouch down in the corner of the room, as directed by Aerin, and turn off the lights. They all hear the giant’s footsteps coming up the stairs--it wasn’t hard to tell, since he was perhaps one of the tallest males in the university.

 

Chanyeol attempts to put the key in the lock, but it slips from his hands and falls on the concrete floor. Chanyeol lets out a muffled ‘Goddammit Chanyeol!’, which makes Aerin giggle just a bit. The boys all furiously hush at her, and Aerin shuts up right away.

 

Chanyeol is able to unlock the door successfully this time, and the second he enters, there are explosions of confetti, a mixture of different voices yelling ‘Happy birthday!’, and random, boisterous yells followed after.

 

Chanyeol immediately shows his surprise and joy by smiling from ear to ear, thanking his friends. Aerin is last to pop her confetti toy at him and grins while she says, “Happy birthday, Yeollie.” The male brings her into a great embrace and pecks her forehead as he lets out a soft thank you.

 

“Thank you guys,” Chanyeol says out loud once they have all calmed down. “It was a pretty day since I had to work on my birthday, but this just made the whole day for me. You guys are the best.”

 

“Of course, Yeol.” Suho says on behalf of the group. “You know what time it is right now?”

 

“Uhh, 2:30. Why?” Chanyeol responds.

 

“No, dummy! It’s present time!”, Aerin jumps with glee. The boys then swiftly disperse to grab their wrapped presents for their friend and meet back together in the living room.

 

“Aw, you guys. You didn’t have to,” Chanyeol says once he sees each person has gotten him a gift. “But you guys did anyways so let’s ing start opening them!”

 

They laugh; Suho is the first to give over his gift to Chanyeol. It’s perfectly wrapped in plaid paper with a silver ribbon tied in the front. If perfectionism was a competition, Suho would be a close contender with Aerin.

 

Chanyeol rips through the wrapping paper as if he’s some disobedient dog; shreds of plaid are tossed in the air and Chanyeol doesn’t stop until he sees the box underneath. He tears off the top of the box, unveiling a brand-named hoodie underneath. Chanyeol picks it up and gasps, “Suho, thank you! This will do me so well this season.”

 

They then go down the line with presents. Chanyeol is given an assortment of gifts: sneakers, video games, RP cards for League of Legends, and others. Aerin takes note of how the boys go absolutely all out for their friend. Jesus, can they spoil me on my birthday please?, she thinks.

 

When it’s Baekhyun’s turn, he hands over a petite box to Chanyeol. It’s in Christmas wrapping paper, and it seems like he underestimated how much paper he needed as the bottom of the box was completely exposed.

 

“A for effort,” Chanyeol jokes. Chanyeol takes off the wrapping in a single motion and opens a velvet box. Inside lied a classic, silver watch that had an embedded “C” on its back. Chanyeol could tell its high price right away. He looked at it in awe as he played with it left and right, watching it glimmer in the light. “Dude, thank you so much. This is crazy.”

 

“Anytime, Yeol.” The ends of Baekhyun’s lips slowly turned into a soft smile. He looked at Chanyeol and saw pure delight on his face. And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter