Make A Choice

A Reborn Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From: So Won

To: Shin Hye

Subject: I miss Eomma!

Eomma… It’s So Won here… hehehe… Are you surprise to receive my email? Appa help me to sign up a new email account and he said from now onwards, I can use his computer to send email to you any time I want. Appa is sitting right beside So Won now and teach me how to send this email to eomma. So Won is very happy.

It has been one month since eomma went to New York. Is eomma’s school very big and beautiful? Did eomma meet any new friends? Eomma have to meet more friends like So Won. I have a lot of friends in the school too. I’m very happy to play with them. So if eomma have more friends, eomma will not cry anymore and will always smile like So Won.

But So Won is still a bit sad. I don’t want to lie to eomma. So Won still cry every night before sleep. Appa said you will come back very soon if I behave and always happy. I want eomma to come back early so So Won have to be a good girl and smile. Eomma, ahjussi said you are sick and need to go New York to recover. Are you feeling okay now? Eomma have to recover faster and come back to So Won. I’m having a school holiday soon and appa promise will bring So Won to see you. Eomma have to wait for So Won. I miss you, eomma.

 

From: Shin Hye

To: So Won

Subject: Eomma miss you too.

Eomma is very happy to receive your email. Eomma’s princess is a big girl now. I miss you a lot even though we chat on the phone every night. How is the weather in Seoul? New York is very cold. So Won have to wear a thicker jacket before you go out, arasso? Appa told me there is a new ahjuhma to take care of So Won now when appa is not around. Did you listen to ahjuhma? You have to be a good girl and listen to ahjuhma, arasso?

Eomma’s school is not very big but it’s very beautiful. I get to know a lot of new friends. So, don’t worry about eomma. I’m not crying and will try to smile more just like So Won. :)

So Won have to promise eomma not to cry anymore. If So Won cannot sleep at night and miss eomma, you can always call eomma. I will pick up your call no matter what is the time here. Eomma can read bedtime story to you like last time. So Won want eomma to smile, then So Won have to smile too. Yes, eomma is sick but I have confident that I’ll recover very soon. When eomma come back to So Won, I will not leave you again. Eomma promise. We will not separate for a long time. Eomma can’t wait for your holiday to come and then we will meet again. Eomma will bring you around New York and have fun together. So in the meantime, you have to study hard and listen to appa. Take care of yourself and take care of appa. Eomma love you.

 

~~~~~

  

From: Min Ho

To: Shin Hye

Subject: How are you?

Hi… This is the first time I send you an email since you went to New York for six months now. I hope it doesn’t bother you. It took me a long time, looking at the computer screen, wasn’t sure I should send this email or not. I promised that I won’t disturb your peaceful life there but… I really miss you… a lot.

How is life there? I’m sure you enjoy the new environment and love what you are doing now. I’m sorry that I didn’t go to New York with So Won and sent ahjuhma instead. I figured you wouldn’t want to see me. But I’m happy that you are well there. So Won has not stopped talking about you since she came back from New York last week. She said she love that place and want me to send her there to study in the future. Do you think it’s a good idea? I think both of us will worry to death if she is studying alone there.

So Won said… you have gained weight and looked happier. I guess the decision of going to New York is right. At least it brings back your smile. Don’t worry about So Won. She is fine with me. Although it’s really not easy to take care of this princess but I’m trying my best to learn to be a father. Thinking back to the past, I was really a bad father… a bad husband. Thank you for giving me a chance to start all over again. I will make sure she will be healthy and happy under my care. However… I think there is one more thing that I still couldn’t change yet. I’m still very greedy. I hope… when you come back… you will also give me a chance to start all over again… with you.

 

From: Shin Hye

To: Min Ho

Subject: I’m fine.

It was a surprise to see your email in my inbox today. I don’t know how to explain but the feeling is strange to talk to you through an email. Recall back to the past, since the first time I met you; we seldom do this, right? No love letter, no love email. But I guess this will be the best way for us to communicate now. No worries, I’m okay. You are not disturbing me.

My life is great here. I learn a lot of new things and holding a camera again after a long time, it still feels so good. I get to see a different kind of people and world. The busy life here keeps my mind concentrate and peaceful. I enjoy and love what I’m doing now. It’s a different kind of happiness compared to what we had in the past. So, don’t worry about me. I’m doing great.

Thank you for sending So Won to New York during her school holiday. I really miss her so much. She grew up so well and I’m very sure you did take good care of her. We spent a lot of unforgettable quality time together. She was so happy to travel around New York with me. This was the first time I have the chance to really enjoy my life with her. And you are the one who gave this chance to me. Thank you.  

I’m glad that you started to learn and enjoy for being a father. You are not a bad father. You are just a bit careless sometimes and too concentrate on your career and neglected your family. To become a successful person, career is not the only thing you need to work hard. You need to balance between work and family. But I’m sure you trying very hard now. So Won is very happy that she can spend more time together with you. Her smile when she talked about you… it proved that my decision was right for leaving her to you. Thank you again for making her smile.

As for us, I don’t want to think about it now. Nobody could predict what will happen in the future. Love… this word is very weighty to me now. I’m trying very hard to forget the past and move on to a better future. For me, you are a person that I still care… like a family.

 

~~~~~

 

From: Chang Wook

To: Shin Hye

Subject: Happy birthday.

Happy birthday! Have you received my present for you? I hope you like it. Without realizing it, one year has passed since you went to New York. How was your mid-term exam? But I don’t think I need to ask since you are one of the best students in your class. I’m sure you pass with flying colours. I saw the photos you sent to me the other day. It’s perfect. How I wish I can give up everything here and go to chase my dream like you too. Holding a camera, walking around New York, capture everything you see… that feeling must be very good. I started to envy you.

I went to see So Won three days ago. Your princess is getting more and more beautiful just like her mother. And she did very well in her final exam. Min Ho did a good job of taking care of her. She grew up a lot and became more mature and understanding. No more the sassy little princess she used to be. You made the right decision for giving Min Ho a chance to take care of her. Both of them learned a lot in the process and changed. I’m happy to see that. I’m happy for you.

When I brought So Won out the other day, she asked me something. She asked one year has passed, is your sickness recovers now? She said the last time she saw you, you looked happy and no longer crying. I don’t know how to answer her. Shin Hye-ah, are you better now? I wanted to visit you when I went to New York for a meeting last month but I control myself not to do so. I don’t want to disturb your peaceful life. I don’t want to bring back any memories that might affect you. Still remember our conversation at the lighthouse one year ago? I said the next time I see you again, I hope you are smiling again and completely healed. There is another year to go before you come back to Seoul. Have you… found your smile back?

 

From: Shin Hye

To: Chang Wook

Subject: I’m smiling now.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. First thank you is for remembering my birthday. I had a great one this year. I celebrated with my classmates and it was really a fun experience. They brought me to a pub and I drank a lot. That was the first time in my life I got drunk and I had a bad hangover the next morning. Although it was fun but I will never do that again. It was crazy. Remember the girl in my class that I told you that she is also a Korean? Her name is Yu Bi. Whenever she is around, laughter will never stop. We are at the same age but so much difference in personalities. Looking at her, I feel young again. She is so lively and lovable… just like you.

Second, yes. I received the present you sent to me. You don’t know how I jump in joy when I opened the package and saw the latest model of Nikon D4. Yah! How can you do that to me? I have already owed you so much of money and I don’t even know when I can finish paying you back. And now, you gave me another reason to feel bad. That camera is very expensive. But I’m not complaining though. Yu Bi was so jealous when she saw me holding the camera in our class the next day. Thank you so much.

Now you are making me jealous when you told me you went to see my princess three days ago. It has been two months already since the last time I saw her. I missed her so much. I really hope her school holiday could come faster. You are right. The last time I saw her, she really changed a lot. She told me that she is very happy to have Min Ho oppa keeping her accompanied all the time. It was indeed a right choice for giving them a chance to spend more time together.

Seeing them working so hard to live a better life, I need to work hard too. I didn’t think whether I have recover or not but I’m sure I feel so much better now. At least, I don’t remember when was the last time I cry in my sleep already. Its consider as an improvement, right? So Won told me about your meeting in New York one month ago. To be honest with you, I’m quite disappointed that you didn’t come to see me. Why do you think coming to see me will disturb my peaceful life? For me, you are always the one who bring me peace. Of course I remember our promise at the lighthouse. I will never forget that. And that is my third thank you to you. Thank you for giving me a chance to find my dream and myself back. I just want you to know that… I’m smiling now.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

2 years later…

 

“Eomma!!”

Lee So Won pulled away from her father and quickly ran forward when she saw her mother walking out from the arrival gate in the airport.

A wide smile immediately spread across Shin Hye’s face when she saw So Won running towards her direction. She let go of her luggage cart, kneeled down on the floor with her arms spread wide, waiting for her daughter to throw herself into her arms. It has been six months since the last time she saw her and she missed her so much.

Shin Hye laughed and almost fall backwards when So Won threw herself to her so forcefully. So Won wrapped her tiny arms around her mother’s neck very tightly. “Eomma, So Won missed you very much.” She said into her ear.

Closing her eyes tightly, Shin Hye nodded as she tightened her arms around her daughter. “Eomma missed So Won too.” She said as she reluctantly pulled away from So Won. She moved her hand upward and gently caressed her face. “You grow taller and so pretty. Eomma is back now. We will never separate ever again. Eomma promise So Won.” She said again, tucking her soft hair behind her ear.

So Won smiled sweetly as she nodded. “We will never separate again.”

Shin Hye looked up when she heard footsteps coming near to them and slowly pulled herself up when she saw the familiar face. She smiled.

“Welcome back.” Min Ho looked at her and gave her a warm smile. He tried to stay calm but seeing her again after two years, it’s really hard to stay controlled and not to pull her into his arms. He has to hide his trembling hands behind his back and clenched it tightly in fists.

“Hi…” Shin Hye greeted him. He doesn’t change much. Although he looked slimmer but he is still as handsome as ever. “You look good.”

Min Ho smiled again and nodded softly. “Thank you.” He said as his eyes still darted at her. “You look… prettier, fresher… happier.”

There was a brief silent before Shin Hye nodded. “Because I’m happy.”

“Good to hear that.” Min Ho said. He inhaled silent breath, trying to slow down the rate of his pounding heart.

Shin Hye averted her gaze and her eyes wandered around the area where they were standing. Min Ho knows what she is looking at although it makes his heart feel uncomfortable.

“Chang Wook called just now. The hearing got delayed and he is still in the court. He said sorry.” Min Ho said.

“Ah… I see.” Shin Hye smiled slightly at him. “I thought…” Her sentence got cut off when someone called her from behind.

“Park Shin Hye!”

All of them turned around and saw a girl pushing a luggage cart walking towards them. She stopped beside Shin Hye with her lips pouted. “Yah, Park Shin Hye. How can you come out first without waiting for me? I told you I’m not familiar with Incheon Airport.”

Shin Hye stuck her tongue out and gave her an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry. I was too excited knowing So Won is waiting for me outside and forgot about you.”

“Yu Bi ahjuhma.” So Won greeted her with a sweet smile.

The girl glared at So Won as she leaned down to match her height. “Yah, Lee So Won. How many times I have to tell you to call me Yu Bi eonnie? Do I look like an ahjuhma to you?”

So Won giggled. “Yu Bi eonnie.”

“Good girl.” The girl nodded and smiled.

“Your friend?” Min Ho interjected, looking at Shin Hye.

Before Shin Hye could reply, the girl narrowed her gaze at Min Ho and smirked. “Who is this handsome man?”

Shin Hye glanced at both of them before she remembered that Min Ho hasn’t seen her before. “Ermmm… oppa… this is my classmate, Lee Yu Bi. She is a Korean but migrated to New York. She came back for a holiday.”

“Yes. Yu Bi eonnie stay with eomma in New York. She is very fun and cute.” So Won said.

Yu Bi flashed Min Ho a sweet smile as she moved forward and lifted her hand up. “Hi… and you are?” She asked.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Min Ho imnida.” Min Ho shook her hand politely.

Shin Hye sighed looking at her flirtatious smile. All her classmates named her as a ‘handsome man hunter’ and whenever she saw handsome men, she will not miss the chance to flirt with them. And looking at Min Ho’s outlook, of course he will be in her hunting list.

“He is So Won’s father.” Shin Hye said and she looked at Yu Bi meaningfully.

Yu Bi held her gaze as she slowly nodded and grinned. “Eo… your ex-husband. Understood.” She said as she moved closer to Shin Hye and whispered into her ear. “I’ll let him go since he is yours.”

“Yah…” Shin Hye glared at her.

Yu Bi chuckled before looking at Min Ho. “Nice meeting you.”

Min Ho smiled and nodded. “Nice meeting you too. Thank you for taking care of uri Shin Hye.”

“Uri Shin Hye?” Yu Bi glanced at Shin Hye and laughed. “This is going to be fun.”

Shin Hye sighed deeply before looking back at Min Ho. “Oppa, can you send Yu Bi to the hotel first before sending me back to eomma’s house?”

Min Ho nodded. “Of course.” He said as he took Shin Hye’s luggage cart and turned to them. “Let’s go.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Eomma… what are you cooking for tonight?” Shin Hye asked as she rested her chin on Jin Kyung’s shoulder, looking at the food she was cooking in the pan with an expectant gaze. She inhaled deeply and let the delicious aroma of food seep into her nose.  She let out a satisfying smile. “I missed eomma’s cooking so much.”

Jin Kyung smiled and turned her head to the side to look at her daughter. “Everything that you love to eat will be there tonight. You have been staying in New York for two years. I need to cook more delicious and healthy food for you. You lost some weight compared the time before you left.”

Shin Hye laughed softly. “I just want to maintain my slim body so that the guys in my school will be interested in me.” She joked.

Jin Kyung turned off the stove and turned around to look at her daughter. She tilted her head and narrowed her gaze. “You looked so much different now. You looked happy. Eomma is very happy to see your smile again.”

Shin Hye held her mother’s hand and smiled at her. “Don’t worry about me.” She paused and inhaled a deep breath. “The most painful moment has passed and I like what I’m doing now. I graduated from the course and found my dream. I know what makes me happy and I have learn to let go what makes me sad. I free myself from all the pain and found my real self in the process.” She squeezed her mother’s hand softly and gave her an assurance smile. “I’m healed.”

Jin Kyung smiled and nodded. “I’m glad you did.” Just before Shin Hye wanted to say something, So Won’s voice startled both of them.

“Eomma, Chang Wook ahjussi is here.”

“Faster go out to greet your friend. I’m sure he can’t wait to see you.” Jin Kyung said with a meaningful smile.

“Eomma… we are… just friends.” Shin Hye said, understood the meaning of her mother’s teasing smile.

Jin Kyung chuckled softly. “Friend doesn’t come to check on your mother once in every week when you were gone. And your Min Ho oppa too. I suddenly feel like I have two extra sons. I’m sure this will be a tough competition.”

“Eomma…” Shin Hye sighed. Even her mother noticed that.

“Arasso, arasso. I’ll stop teasing you. Go out and don’t disturb me if you want to have your dinner on time.” Jin Kyung said as she pushed her daughter out from the kitchen.

The moment Chang Wook saw Shin Hye walked out to the living room, his heartbeat raced tremendously. He gulped nervously, looking at her ‘not-smiling’ face. Something is wrong. She looked angry.

“H-Hi.” He greeted cautiously.      

Shin Hye let out a deep sigh as she crossed her arms across her chest, staring straight at him. “I thought you will come to pick me up at the airport but you were not there. You told me that you would be there no matter how busy you are. You broke your promise. I’m… quite disappointed.”

Chang Wook parted his lips but the words stuck in his throat, unable to say anything. She is angry but he already told Min Ho that he was in the court. She is not someone that will get angry at something like this. What happened?

“The hearing got delayed and I was stuck in the court.” He quickly explained. But when Shin Hye was still looking at him with an expressionless gaze, he got more nervous. “I… I was really in the court. I can show you…” Her sentence was cut off when Shin Hye suddenly laughed.

He looked at her in confusion.

Shin Hye walked closer to him and laughed at his nervousness. “I’m just joking. You look funny when you are nervous.”

Chang Wook was dumbfounded for a moment, totally stunned by her sweet ringing laughter. It has been a long time since he heard that sound from her. “You laugh.” He finally found his voice back and curled his lips up. “It’s so good to see your smile again.”

Shin Hye smiled. “I promised you, right? The next time you see me, I’ll be smiling.”

Chang Wook clenched his hands tightly, afraid that he will lose control if he didn’t do so. “Congratulations. You graduated.”

“I’m glad I did. If not, then I’ll have to stay there for another year and I have to delay paying back the debts that I owe you. I need to find a job as soon as possible now before you charge me late repayment interest.” She joked.

“I didn’t ask you to pay me back. You are the one who insist to pay.” Chang Wook laughed. “No worries. No interest will be charged to you. You can even drag to a lifetime instalment.”

“Wah, lifetime instalment? Then we will be stuck to each other for the whole life. Should I pay you with myself then?” Shin Hye joked but regretted instantly as soon as the words slipped through her lips. This is not a joke that she should say to a person who has a crush on her for more than ten years. Chang Wook stopped smiling too and looked away awkwardly.

“Appa!”

So Won’s voice shook them off from the awkward situation and both of them turned to the door when they saw Min Ho stepped into the house. Min Ho looked at Shin Hye for a brief moment before turning to Chang Wook. Their expression looked weird. Did he interrupting them?

“Did I miss anything?” Min Ho asked.

Chang Wook cleared his throat and shook his head. “Nothing. We are just chatting.”

“I see.” Min Ho smiled slightly.

“Appa…” So Won called her father. “Can So Won stay here with eomma tonight?”

“Of course.” Min Ho said before he looked up at Shin Hye. “Do you have time tonight? I think… we have to talk about So Won.” He promised her two years ago that he will only helped to take care of So Won when she is not around. He remembered his promise and since she is back now, it’s time for them to discuss about it. Although he hope she will give him a chance to let all of them to start all over again, but he know he can’t rush it. He doesn’t want to scare her away.

“Eo…” Shin Hye looked at him and nodded. “Tonight should be okay.”

“Then let’s talk at my house after the dinner. I need to bring So Won back to pack some clothes anyway.” Min Ho said again.

Shin Hye nodded before she stole a sideway glance at Chang Wook. He was talking to So Won and not looking at them. But she knows he heard everything they said.

“Eo, Min Ho you are here already. The dinner is ready. We can eat now.” Jin Kyung said, holding two plates in her hand.

“Wow, it smells so good. Let me help you, eomeonim.” Chang Wook said as he quickly ran to the kitchen, can’t wait to run away from the awkward atmosphere in the living room. He still can pretend nothing in the past because nobody knows his real feeling for Shin Hye. But now, everything is not a secret anymore. It feels so awkward for him to be there. He felt like an outsider being with all of them.

 

The dinner was kind of awkward when two men who love the same woman sit together at the same dining table, eating together. Except for So Won, everyone there can sense the tension between the three of them.

After the dinner, Chang Wook told them that he still have a court case tomorrow morning and have to go home earlier. But Shin Hye knows he is just using that as an excuse to escape from the awkwardness. She insists to walk him out to take his car and when they were standing outside the car porch, Chang Wook turned to her and let out a friendly smile.

“This is not the first time I come to your house. You don’t need to show me the way out. I can go myself.” He said.

“I know. My mother said you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter