A New Promise

A Reborn Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: Hello, Goodbye by Hyorin. (credit to owner)

 

“Shin Hye, So Ra, please meet my best friend, Ji Chang Wook. We have known each other for a long time. We went to the same primary school, middle school and high school.” Lee Min Ho said as he looked at Shin Hye and So Ra.

It has been almost a month since he dated Shin Hye and he think it’s about time he introduce her to his friends. And Chang Wook will be the first one since he is his best buddy. He is proud to let his friend know that he has finally found the love of his life.

“Hi, I’m So Ra. Nice meeting you.” So Ra extended her hand to him with a polite smile.

Chang Wook took her hand and shook it softly. “Nice meeting you too.”

“And this is my girlfriend that I always mention to you.” Min Ho said as he gently pulled Shin Hye forward.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Park Shin Hye imnida.” Shin Hye greeted him with a sweet smile.

Chang Wook looked at her and the smile on his face slowly faded. His warm expression a while ago has now replaced with shock. It’s her.

“Chang Wook?” Min Ho patted his shoulder when he saw his friend spacing out. “What are you doing? Shin Hye is talking to you.”

“Eo…” Chang Wook cleared his throat when he was brought back to his senses. He let out an awkward smile and nodded politely at Shin Hye. “H-Hi… I’m Chang Wook.”

Shin Hye looked at him for a moment before she spoke again. “You… you look familiar. Have we seen each other before?”

Chang Wook held his gaze and pursed his lips. “I… I don’t think so.” He lied.

“We are in the same football team. I think that’s why he looked familiar to you.” Min Ho said as he wrapped his arms around Shin Hye’s shoulders protectively.

“I see. I think I must have seen him when you were having football practice last week.” Shin Hye said.

“Since we have finished with all the introductions, can we go to have our lunch now? My stomach is growling.” So Ra interjected. She is not comfortable with how close Min Ho and Shin Hye acted in front of her. It’s good that there will be another light bulb added in the group now. She doesn’t need to be the only one to suffer seeing them this close.

“Okay. Let’s go to eat then.” Min Ho said happily as he took Shin Hye’s hand and smiled. “Kaja…”

Chang Wook and So Ra followed from behind together with their heavy heart.

 

~~~~~

 

“Eo… Chang Wook oppa.” Shin Hye called and waved her hand when she saw Chang Wook sitting in the room. She walked towards him and took a seat beside him. “You are one of the members in photography club too?” This is the first meeting she attends for the club and she didn’t know that Chang Wook was one of the members too.

Chang Wook straightened himself up and smiled at her. “Yes. I’m the president of this club. So, you are one of the new members today?”

Shin Hye nodded. “I have wanted to join since the first day I came to this school but I’m worried that I’ll be alone here. I didn’t know you are the president. Thank god. We can come together in the future.”

“I thought you will join the debate club with Min Ho.” Chang Wook said.

Shin Hye shook her head. “My talking and arguing skill is very bad. I’ll be like a dumb if I join that club. So Ra is more suitable.”

“You like photography?” He asked.

“I love photography.” Shin Hye said with a sweet smile. “I love to take a camera and keep shooting whatever I see. It feels very good when you can capture people’s emotion through the camera. You know, when you process the film in the darkroom, and when the photo slowly developed… that feeling is very satisfying. I really hope I can become a photographer in the future.” She added.

Without realizing it, Chang Wook’s lips slowly curled up into a smile too. This is the first time he saw such a beautiful smile on her face. She really looked very happy when she is talking about photography.

“If I have a camera with me, I’ll sure capture this beautiful smile on your face now and let you see how happy you are when you talk about photography.” Chang Wook said.

Shin Hye laughed softly and cupped her blushed cheeks with her own hands. “I’m sorry. This is so embarrassing.”

“Don’t be.” Chang Wook laughed too. “I’m happy to have another good member in the club.” He lifted his hand up to her and smiled. “Welcome to the photography club.”

“Thank you.” Shin Hye took his hand and shook it softly.

 

~~~~~

 

“Min Ho oppa.”

Min Ho and Chang Wook turned around when they heard So Ra’s excited voice behind them. She was running towards them with two tickets in her hand.

“What is wrong with you? You looked like you just hit a jackpot or something.” Chang Wook said when So Ra took a seat in front of them in the university’s cafeteria.

“This is better than hitting a jackpot.” So Ra said as she turned to Min Ho. “Oppa, you heard about the seminar for law students on Originalism in Action by Randy Barnett that will be held in Busan today, right?”

“Yes. But it was already full before we could even sign up.” Min Ho said in a disappointed tone.

So Ra smiled and showed him the two tickets she was holding. “But guess what. Two of the seniors unable to attend and gave their tickets to me.”

“What?!” Min Ho widened his eyes, looking at the ticket excitedly.

So Ra nodded happily. “Yes, we can go now. I have already checked the flight to Busan today. The earliest flight will be in 45 minutes time. It just needs 55 minutes to reach Busan. We still have enough time to attend the seminar.” She paused and turned to Chang Wook. “But too bad. I only have two tickets.”

“I’m not interested in that seminar.” Chang Wook said before he turned to Min Ho who was already busy packing his stuffs. “Yah, Lee Min Ho. Are you sure you want to go? Did you tell Shin Hye? She is heavily pregnant and she could give birth anytime soon. How can you leave her alone?”

“Her due date is end of next week. It won’t so coincidence. Moreover, I’ll rush back tonight. And she is not alone. If she is not feeling well, her mother is around.” Min Ho said.

“But her father is out for a business trip. If anything happen, what can her mother do? I think you should stay here and keep her accompanied.” Chang Wook disagreed with him.

Min Ho sighed and looked at his bet friend. “Gwenchana. She will be okay. I’ll call her later to inform her. I’m sure she will be happy for me. She knows how much I want to attend this seminar.” He said as he stood up and took his bag with him. He smiled at Chang Wook and waved his hand. “See you tomorrow.” He then turned back to So Ra. “Kaja. We have to be quick.”

“Yah, Lee Min Ho.” Chang Wook stood up and glared at him. But it was too late. He was already running towards the door with So Ra. He let out an exaggerated sigh before sitting down on the chair again.

 

~~~~~

 

“Chang Wook-ah… your call. Someone is looking for you.”

Chang Wook ran out from his room and looked at his grandmother. “My call?” He asked, looking curious. He glanced at the clock and it was almost 10pm now. Who will call him so late?

Chung Ah Young nodded. “It’s a girl. But she sound nervous. Your girlfriend?” She asked with a smirk on his face.

Chang Wook chuckled. “No. How many times I have to tell you I don’t have a girlfriend.” He said as he walked to the phone and answer the call.”

“Yoboseyo.”

“C-Chang Wook oppa?”

Chang Wook’s face immediately turned serious when he heard Shin Hye’s voice. His grandmother was right. She sounded nervous. In fact, she sounds scared. “Shin Hye? What happened?”

“I... I… it’s very painful… my stomach…”

“What?!” Chang Wook shouted with his eyes widened in shock.

“I… tried to call Min Ho oppa… but… but he didn’t pick up. My stomach… is very painful. And… and the water broke. I think… the baby is coming out. I dare not… to call my mother. I don’t want… to scare her…”

“Oh my god.” Chang Wook mumbled as he took a deep breath to calm himself down. “Shin Hye, you have to listen to me. Put down the phone and sit down on the couch. Don’t move around and wait for me. I’ll be there in ten minutes. Can you wait?”

“O-Okay… I-I think I can…”

“Good. I’m coming now.” And without waiting for her to reply, he quickly put down the phone, ran to his room to take his wallet and car key, rushing towards the door.

 

~~~~~
 

“Urggghhh…” Shin Hye screamed as she tightened her grip on Chang Wook’s hand. Her face twisted in pain as more sweat formed around her forehead. Tears already rolling down her eyes, drenching her cheeks.

As the nurses pushing the bed towards the surgery room, Chang Wook holding her hand tightly in his and followed closely beside her bed. “It’s okay. I know it’s very painful but everything will be fine. I promise.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and forced herself to open her eyes. “Oppa… I want to see Min Ho oppa.”

“Okay, okay.” Chang Wook nodded fiercely. “I’ll call him and make sure he reach here soon.”

Shin Hye nodded. “Call my mother… tell her… I’m here…”

“Okay. I’ll go to fetch her over. Don’t worry, arasso?” Chang Wook caressed her hand and gave her a warm smile. “Everything will be okay. You will get to see your beautiful princess very soon.”

Shin Hye let out a weak smile and nodded again. “Yes… Min Ho oppa and my daughter.”

 

“Eomeonim, don’t worry. Shin Hye will be okay.” Chang Wook comforted Jin Kyung who looked very worried waiting outside the surgery room.

“But she has been inside for so long. This is her first time. Shin Hye is very scared of pain. She must be suffering now.” She paused and sighed deeply. “Min Ho should be staying beside her at the moment like this. Where is he?” She asked with a slight angry tone.

“He… he went to a seminar in Busan with So Ra and… missed the flight. But I already called him and he will take the first flight tomorrow morning. He will rush over as soon as he can.” Chang Wook assured her.

But before Jin Kyung could reply, the door opened and the doctor came out with a nurse beside her. She looked at Chang Wook and nodded at him.

“Are you Park Shin Hye’s husband?” The doctor asked.

“N-No, I’m not. Wae? What happened to Shin Hye?” Chang Wook asked worriedly.

“The baby’s head is too big and it can’t pass through her pelvic bone. We are going to take her upstairs for a c-section. Where is her husband? We need him to sign the letter of consent for the surgery.” The doctor added.

“But… her husband is not in Seoul now. Can her mother sign it for her?” Chang Wook asked.

The doctor nodded. “Yes. As long as the person is related to the patient, she can sign it.”

Jin Kyung nodded. “Okay, I’ll sign it. But please take care of uri Shin Hye.”

The doctor smiled at her and nodded. “I’ll try my best.”

After the doctor was gone, Jin Kyung turned to Chang Wook with a worried gaze. “Everything will be fine, right?”

Chang Wook let out a warm smile and nodded. “Shin Hye is very strong. Everything will be fine.”

 

~~~~~

 

“This is your biological mother.” Chung Ah Young said as she handed the photo to Chang Wook.

He inhaled a deep breath, looking at the woman in the photo with a heavy heart. “How did you find her?”

“She is the one who found me. She checked the orphanage home you stayed last time, got my details and know that you was adopted by me.” Chung Ah Young explained.    

Chang Wook chuckled sadly. “If she decided to abandon me in the past, why bother to look for me now?”

Chung Ah Young sighed deeply. “She was only 18 years old when she gave birth to you. Your father ran away after knowing that she was pregnant and she can’t afford to take care of you at that time. She has no choice but to leave you at the orphanage home. Later, she was married to a businessman and went to US with him. They don’t have any children.” She paused and sighed again. “I’m not saying that her action is right but no matter what happened in the past, she is still your mother. And… she has lungs cancer final stage. The doctor said she only have one month left.”

Chang Wook looked at his grandmother and his breath suddenly stuck in his throat, causing his face to turn white.

“I don’t want to force you to do anything. She is your mother and she indeed abandoned you in the past. You have the right to be angry. But halmeoni hopes you could think thoroughly and understand that this would be the final chance you can see her. Halmeoni know that deep inside your heart, you hope to see your family for at least once.” Chung Ah Young smiled and held his hand. “You are a great kid. Forgiveness is not something we do for other people. It’s something we do for ourselves to move on.” Chung Ah Young said.

Chang Wook held her gaze for a moment before he nodded. “I don’t hate her. I just regret that we were given the chance to be a family but not fated to live together, to love each other.”

“I’m sure she love you.” Chung Ah Young said.

Chang Wook let out a faint smile. “I believe that too. I’ll go to see her. Although it will be the first and also the last time, but I still hope I could stay by her side on the final journey of her life.”

Chung Ah Young squeezed his hand and nodded. “Your mother will be very proud of you.”

Chang Wook smiled slightly as he looked at the photo he was holding.

 

~~~~~

 

“Good morning passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight KE19 to New York. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately five minutes time. Thank you.”

Chang Wook glanced at his watch and it was already 12 midnight. By the time he reach New York it will be around 9 at night local time. He hopes he could still rush to the hospital and see his mother soon. Her husband called this morning and told him that her mother is not in a good condition. The doctor said she would leave anytime. He really hopes he could reach in time. He took his boarding pass out from his pocket and when he was about to turn off his phone, it rings. He furrowed his brows when he saw the caller ID.

“Yoboseyo.”

“Chang Wook oppa. I’m Shin Hye.”

“I know. Why you sound like that? What happened?” Chang Wook asked worriedly when he heard her voice trembling.

“Is Min Ho oppa with you now? I tried to call him but his phone was turned off.”

“I… I’m not with him. I took few days off to settle some personal matters. I’m about to board…” Before he could finish his sentence, Shin Hye cut him off.

“Something is wrong with So Won. She has been crying for the whole day and her body is very warm. And now… she seems not conscious at all. I keep calling her but she didn’t give me any response. I’m very scared.”

Chang Wook stood up from the chair and widened his eyes. “She is unconscious? Have you called the ambulance?”

“N-No…”

“Okay, Shin Hye. You have to calm down and listen to me. I’m at Incheon now and I don’t think I can reach your house in a short time. Call the ambulance and I’ll meet you at the hospital in 30 minutes. Can you do that?” Chang Wook said.

“Y-Yes. I’ll call the ambulance now.”

“Good. I’ll see you in a while.” Chang Wook said and after he ended the call, he took his bag and ran towards the immigration desk without turning back.

 

~~~~~

 

“Chang Wook oppa…” Shin Hye cried the moment she saw Chang Wook running towards her in the hospital.

“How is So Won?” He asked and his chest immediately tightened looking at Shin Hye crying like that.

“She is still inside the ER. The doctor said she has a high fever and luckily I sent her in on time. If not, it will be more serious.” Shin Hye said in a shaky voice. Her body is trembling and her face was as white as paper. Tears keep rolling down her eyes.

Chang Wook inhaled deeply before he moved closer and pulled her into his arms. He gently her back, comforting her. “Don’t cry. She will be fine.” He hates seeing her like this and he couldn’t do anything to help her.

“Where is Min Ho oppa? I called him few hours ago and he said he is in a hurry. I tried to call So Ra but she didn’t answer her phone either.” She sobbed and bit her lip. “Why I always couldn’t find him when we need him the most?”

Chang Wook let out a soft sigh. “I think… he is having a meeting and his phone is out of battery or out of coverage area. I’m sure if he knows about this, he will rush over as soon as he can. He love you and So Won a lot.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes and nodded.

 

~~~~~

 

2 days later…

“Yoboseyo.”

“Chang Wook? I’m Clarence here.”

“Mr Clarence, I’ll be boarding in an hour. I think I’ll reach New York at…” Chang Wook paused and froze in place when the man on the other side of the phone cut him off.

“Your mother just passed away 20 minutes ago. I’m very sorry.”

Chang Wook held his breath as he slowly took the phone away from him and without realizing it, his palm loosened and the phone dropped to the floor. He was froze for a long moment before he took out the photo of his mother and looked at it. He sank his teeth into his bottom lip before he wiped the tear that ran down his face.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

“If he just treat you as his friend, do you think he will miss the chance to see his biological mother for the one last time because of you?”

Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath as Chung Ah Young’s voice keeps ringing in her ears. Thinking back to everything that happened in the past, Chang Wook’s grandmother was right. Why didn’t she sense anything? If he didn’t feel anything for her, why did he stay by her side whenever she needs him? What he did was definitely more than what a friend should do. All this while, it never cross her mind that he could have any feeling for her because she was already with Min Ho when she first met him. He is a very good person, loyal friend and always very supportive to Min Ho and her. She thought everything he did for her was because his loyalty to Min Ho. But now, after seeing all the photos of her in his darkroom, something tells her that it’s not that simple. Chung Ah Young might be right. He might really secretly in love with her all these years.

Two days has passed since they came to Jeju Island and everyday, Chang Wook brought them to a lot of places like the Aqua Planet and Teddy Bear Museum. So Won was very happy and it has been very long since the last time Shin Hye see her this happy.

After the incident in the darkroom two days ago, she asked So Won not to mention about it in front of Chang Wook and pretend that they didn’t know about the room. She doesn’t want him to know that she already find out about her photos and also about his mother. She rather keeps it as a secret like how he keeps it from her. It would be awkward and she really doesn’t have the strength to think about such a thing now. Her heart is badly wounded and couldn’t feel anything. In fact, she doesn’t want to feel anything. Remain as it is will be the best option for all of them.

 

Shin Hye inhaled a fresh air as she looked at the hill that was covered with green grasses. The soft breeze slowly blows across her face and looking at the beautiful scenery from the peak of the mountain make her feel good and relax.

She turned to Chang Wook who was standing beside her and smiled. “This place is so beautiful.”

Chang Wook nodded. “Yes. This is Yongnuni Oreum and one of the famous mountains in Jeju besides Seongsan Ilchulbong. Some say its name comes from the fact that the large crater at the middle looks like a dragon’s eyes when viewed from above and some say that it looks like a dragon lying down. This is one of the best spots you can see beautiful sunrise and sunset in Jeju.”

“I see. Luckily your grandmother brings So Won to the Trick Art Museum today. I don’t think she could make it to the peak.” Shin Hye said as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. A soft smile slowly spread across her face.

“This is the first I see you smiling after what happened lately.” Chang Wook said as his attention was fully captured by her beauty.

Shin Hye opened her eyes and looked at him. When their eyes locked at each other, her heart started to race and the photos in his darkroom slowly floating in her mind again. “Y-You…” She bit her lip, wasn’t sure what she should say.

“What?” Chang Wook asked.

Shin Hye inhaled deeply before she spoke again. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.” He nodded.

“We have known each other for a long time but how come I never see any woman around you?” Shin Hye asked cautiously.

Chang Wook was taken aback by the question as he quickly averted his gaze. “I… I’m waiting for the right one to appear.”

“You are smart and handsome. I’m sure there are a lot of women surrounding you. There must be someone that you like, right?” She asked again.

Chang Wook let out a long sigh as he looked at the front, trying to find the right word to reply. “When your heart has already captured by someone, it’s really hard to put in another person anymore.”

Shin Hye bit her lip, still looking at him. “You mean… there is already someone in your heart?” She braved herself to ask again.

He gulped softly before moving his gaze back at her. Their eyes were locked at each other once again. Every time he looked into her eyes, it makes his heart fluttered. “Hmmm… already there… for a long time.”

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

You came to me by coincidence and embraced me
And as we blankly stared at each other, you said goodbye

You only passed through in my dreams
But now you’re in front of me

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

“T-Then… why didn’t you be with her?” Her gaze was unable to tear away from his, as if trying to find an answer in his eyes.

Chang Wook pursed his lip and held her gaze for a long moment. After a while, he let out a faint smile. “Because… I was too late and by the time I saw her again, her heart has already given to another man.” He looked away and inhaled a deep breath.

Again? Shin Hye was confused. She has a faint memory of meeting him when Min Ho introduced him to her. At that time she has already dating Min Ho. But before that, she never sees him before.

She looked away too, forcing herself not to ask further. The more she finds out, the more it trouble her heart.

“You look so much better these two days.” Chang Wook broke the silence after a long moment. “It seems that this trip really help you a lot.”

Shin Hye turned back to him and smiled slightly. “It has been a long time since I came out from my protected safety territory and look at the real world like now. Even though it felt strange and unfamiliar but it gives me a feeling of freedom. I know it’s just temporary but it still feel good.” She paused and smiled at him again. “Thank you for bringing me along. I know you are worried but you don’t need to worry about me. I’m okay.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter