Broken Promises

A Reborn Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time flies in the blink of an eye. Two years has passed since we started dating.  Thinking back to that time now, I wasn’t really sure whether it was a rush decision or it was just a teenager’s impulsive action. Min Ho was 21 years old when his parents decided to migrate to Australia and because he doesn’t want us to be separated, he told his parents that we were getting married and he will stay in Seoul with me. I was frightened and hesitated when he proposed to me. I was only 19 years old. I just graduated from high school and I wasn’t sure I’m ready to become a wife yet.

“M-Meo? You… you want me to… marry you?” My eyes were widened and looked at him in shock the moment he proposed to me. I saw a tiny flicker of pain crossed his eyes when I didn’t say yes.

“You… you are not willing to marry me?” He asked, looking hurt, disappointed.

“No… I mean… of course I’m willing to marry you but…” I paused and bit my lip. “We are so young and I just graduated. I’m still headache about my future and…”

“You don’t need to worry about your future anymore once you say yes.” He cut me off as he moved closer to me and held my hands tightly. “I’m your future.” He said with his eyes looking deep into mine. “We love each other and marrying you is just a matter of time. My parents are migrating to Australia and they are forcing me to go with them to continue my studies there.”

I looked away, trying not to let him see the sadness in my eyes. The day when he told me that he might need to go Australia with his parents, I felt like my whole world was torn apart. In these two years, we have always been together. I love him so much and nothing could possibly explain how pain my heart was feeling at that moment.

“Your parents are right. They just want the best for you and hope that you could have a better education there. Going to Australia… it will be better for your future.” I said softly.

He cupped my face, forcing me to look at him. He was angry. I can see his eyes were reddened in rage. “If I really go with them… then how about you? How about us? We will have to separate from each other. And it also means… we are done. Do you really want that?”

Tears started to well in my eyes as I looked at him. I shook my head and sobbed softly. “Of course I don’t want to separate from you. But... I can’t be so selfish and force you to stay here and give up your parents just because I want to be with you. I don’t know what else can I do?”

“Say yes and marry me.” He said, holding me firmly in place. “I don’t need to study in Australia to have a brighter future. I have confidence that I can be a successful lawyer even if I study in Korea.” He paused and inhaled deeply. He inched closer and our face was so close that I could feel his warm breath on me. “I want you. Nothing else matters as long as I have you with me.” He said again before he leaned forward and kissed my lips.

Although this wasn’t the first time he kiss me but it still give me the feeling of heart fluttering every time we were this close. His kiss always makes me lost my mind, melted and breathless. I know I was defeated by him again. 

“I know you are scared.” He continued after he broke the kiss and pressed our foreheads together. “But I won’t leave you alone here. If we get married, they can’t force me to go with them.”

“But how about… my parents? My father will not agree to it.” I said.

Min Ho pulled back a little and looked at me. “You don’t need to worry. I just need you to say yes and the rest, you just need to leave it to me. I will have my way to settle it for us. You just need to trust me.” He inhaled deeply, gazing me expectantly. “Please say yes.”

I held his gaze for a long moment and without giving myself any chance to think further, I nodded. “Yes.”

He laughed heartily before embracing me tightly into his arms. “I love you.” He whispered into my ear.  

As expected, my father was furious with the idea of us getting married so young. He said I should think about my studies, my future career and not think about marriage at this age. Studies? Career? I laughed silently. My studies has not been good all this while. If Min Ho, Chang Wook and So Ra didn’t take turns to help me with the revision, I don’t think I can complete my 12th grade so easily. University? I never think about it before. I have no interest in any courses except for one. But I know even if I tell my father or Min Ho about it, they will not agree or allow me to pursue. That was a course that they will think it’s useless and do not make a good career in the future. That was why I never mention about it in front anyone of them before.    

On the other hand, my mother was quite supportive. She understands her daughter’s ability and will never force me to do something that will give me pressure. She doesn’t really mind that I get married at such young age. What concerns her the most is my happiness. She just wants me to think thoroughly and don’t make the same mistake that she did in the past.

“Love is always sweet in the beginning. Both of you are still young. Nothing really matters now because in your eyes, in his eyes, both of you just want to be with each other. But to maintain a relationship, love is not enough because human tend to be greedy and forgetful. When you got something, you will wish for more. When you got more, you will slowly forget all the promises you made when both of you were still in love. Love will slowly fade as time goes by. There is no assurance in love. It’s always a risk in a marriage.”

That was what my mother told me. Even though ten years has already passed but I can still see the same sadness that I saw ten years ago in her eyes. My father’s betrayal and the sadness that he has brought to her is not something that could easily heal with time. It was a wound that was permanently craved to her heart.

Looking into that pair of sad and always teary eyes, I sighed silently before I held her hands tightly in mine. “I love him. And I have confidence in him. I believe he will be different from appa.” I assured her with a firm and confident reply.

Was it because I’m just 19 years old that time and my thinking was still naïve? I really mean it when I said I have confident and believe in him. I can feel his love for me is true and sincere. But the sad truth is… my mother turns out to be right. Human is greedy. Human is forgetful. And I guess… our loves faded in the process.

I listened to Min Ho and leave everything for him to handle. Although his parents didn’t agree with the marriage at first but he is not someone that will be defeated easily. Once he decided on something, nobody could change his mind. He kept his promise. He successfully convinced his parents and my father. They agreed with the marriage and the wedding will be held before his parents leave for Australia two months later.

“I, Lee Min Ho, take you, Park Shin Hye to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I promise to love and care for you, and I will try in every way to be worthy of your love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will always be honest with you, kind, patient and forgiving. I promise to stay by your side but most of all, I promise to be a true and loyal husband to you. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.”

I will never forget the day when we were both standing in the church, when he held onto my hands, looking into my eyes and gave me the most precious and touching vows ever. That day was the happiest moment that ever happened in my life. This man that was standing in front of me, I love him, so much that I’m willing to give up anything just to be with him.

“I, Park Shin Hye, take you, Lee Min Ho to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I promise to listen to you and learn from you, to support you and accept your support. I will love you and have faith in your love for me, through all our years and all that life may bring us. I will love you unconditionally and without hesitation. As a family, we will create a home filled with learning, laughter, and compassion. Today, I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity.”

I saw the most charming smile on the most handsome man that was officially my husband when I vowed my promises to him. We exchanged our rings before he leaned down and pressed his lips on mine, sealing our pledge with a kiss.

Just like that, I was married to the most handsome, smart, responsible and trustworthy man. Eight years has passed and since then, I never once forget my vows and until now, I’m still loving him unconditionally, faithfully without any hesitation. But what about him? The man that vowed to be a true and loyal husband, to love me faithfully through good time and bad. Did he still keeping his words?

Now I finally realized what my mother told me was true. Promises mean everything. But after they are broken, sorry means nothing.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Lee So Won… Lee So Won… Lee So Won… YAY!!! Lee So Won daebak!!!” Chang Wook shouted happily as he jumped up from his seat, aggressively clapping his hands when he saw So Won crossed the finish line, twenty meters ahead of other runners. He took up his professional DSLR camera and his fingers never stop hitting the shutter button.

“Mister, is that cute little girl your daughter? She got first place in the race. You must be very proud of her. Congratulations.” One of the parents that were sitting beside Chang Wook asked, looking at him with a friendly smile.

Chang Wook parted his lips as he let out an awkward smile. He rubbed his nape and stole a sideway glance at Shin Hye who was sitting beside him. “A-Anieyo. I… I’m her uncle. She is not my daughter. She is her daughter.” He said as he pointed at Shin Hye.

“Eo. I’m so sorry. But you looked so happy and I mistaken you as her father.” The woman apologized with an embarrassed smile.

“It’s okay.” Chang Wok nodded at her politely before he sits down and turned to Shin Hye who was looking at her phone mindlessly. She was totally lost in her deep thoughts and didn’t hear anything. He glanced down at her phone and sighed deeply.

“I’m sure he is busy with something and will call you back once he is available.”

Shin Hye looked up at him when her deep thoughts were shook off by Chang Wook’s voice. She inhaled a deep breath and smiled at him weakly. “I’m sorry to hijack your off day again. It seems like So Won and me have become a burden that you couldn’t fling it away since she was born.”

He stared at her for a moment before he let out a soft chuckle. “Yah, Park Shin Hye. What are you talking about? We have known each other for almost ten years already. We are friends and friend is not a burden. True friend will always be there to support you especially in times of need. Min Ho is my best friend. We have known each other since we were kids. I will do anything for him if he needs my help. So, taking care of his family is one of my responsibilities too. It’s not a burden.”

Shin Hye bit her lower lip and held his gaze. “My husband is a lawyer and you are a lawyer too. But why you can always come when I needed someone but he is always busy?” She tried to be more understandable but it’s really not easy.

“Because…” Chang Wook tilted his head. “Because your husband is smarter, richer, more capable and he is a workaholic. You can’t compare him with me. I’m a lazy lawyer. Before I join his legal firm I already told him that I only work five days a week and will not accept more than one case at a time.” He said and smirked. “I think it’s my fault that your husband is so busy. He have to cover all the work for me.”   

She laughed softly as she shook her head. “After so many years, you are still the same.”

“What the same?” He asked.

“You are still using yourself to shield in front of Min Ho oppa and take all the blames for him. I still remembered there was one time when we were still in the high school. Min Ho oppa was supposed to meet me at the library but I’ve waited for him for almost three hours and he didn’t turn up. And then I saw you running into the library nervously, sweating all over and asked me not to be angry with him. You said it was your fault because you forced him to stay back for the football practice. But the truth is he forgotten about our meeting and he was still in the debate club with So Ra.” Shin Hye said and let out a faint smile.

Chang Wook smiled and looked back to the front. “All those things that I did for him is just peanut compared to what he has done for me. I was an orphan. No parents, no family. Everyone in the school look down on me but only Min Ho doesn’t mind about my background and be my friend. When I don’t have money to pay my tuition fees, he paid for me. When I don’t have money to buy the football club jersey, he bought for me.” He paused and looked down at the camera he was holding. “And he knows that I love to take photograph but couldn’t afford to get a camera, he bought me one on my birthday. Everything that I have now, it was all indirectly because of him.”

“I’m very sure everything he did he doesn’t expect any returns from you because he treated you as his best friend, his brother, his family.” Shin Hye said.

“I know. And that’s why I also treat his daughter as my daughter and his wife as my…” He was lucky that he bit his tongue on time and didn’t let the last word slip out from his mouth.

Shin Hye smiled. “As what? Sister… in-law?” She completes the sentence for him.

Chang Wook laughed awkwardly and forced himself to nod. “Yes. He treats me like a brother, right? Then… you are my sister in-law.” He sighed silently and found his heart pounding so hard against his chest. He almost said something that will make him regret for the rest of his life.

“This camera look very good. The photographs will sure look very nice.” Shin Hye said, breaking their silence.

Chang Wook glanced down at his camera. “Yes. This is the latest model and the lens cost me almost a month of my salary.” He then looked at Shin Hye and narrowed his gaze. “We were in the photography club together during our high school time. You love taking photograph and you were the best among us at that time. I remembered you once told me that you wish to become a photographer one day. But you stop after you got married. Why didn’t you continue?”

With her eyes looking at the camera he was holding, she let out another faint smile. “That was a long time dream that I have almost forgotten about it. The moment I decided to marry Min Ho oppa, my dream is to create a home and a family with him. He told me that he is my future.” She paused, moved her hand to the camera and touched it softly. “I guess… I chose Min Ho oppa over my own dream.”

Chang Wook looked at her for a long moment before he gave her a supportive smile. “I’m sure you won’t regret your choice.”

Shin Hye smiled at him too and nodded. “I will not regret.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

So Ra walked towards the seats where Min Ho was sitting outside the departure gate and his cold expression gave her a shiver down her spine. He is angry and she was the one who caused his anger. She slowly took a seat beside him and gave him back his mobile phone.

“All the flights to Seoul are full and we are still in the waiting list. I already inform them that once there is a seat available in any flight, your name is the first one on the list.” She paused and stared at his phone. “The battery is fully charged. You… you can call her now.”

Min Ho took his phone over and without replying her, he his phone and his brows immediately furrowed together when he saw missed calls from Shin Hye. He let out an exasperated sigh before pressing the call button.

“Damn it.” He cursed under his breath when the line couldn’t get through. He tried to call Chang Wook but he didn’t answer his phone too. He inhaled sharply and turned to So Ra. “Did you turned off the alarm clock this morning?”

So Ra held his furious gaze as she bit her lip. “Yes. You were drunk last night and I thought… to let you sleep a little longer.”

“You know I have to go back to Seoul this morning. You know I promised So Won that I have to attend her sports day with her.” Min Ho raised his voice.

“It’s just a sports day. You will have a headache if you don’t have enough sleep. And we still have a meeting to attend this afternoon. So Won is just a kid. She should learn to be more understanding. She should…” So Ra stopped in mid-sentence when Min Ho chuckled sarcastically.

“You mean she should understand her father that broke his promise to her because he was drunk and slept with another woman?” Min Ho cut her off.    

So Ra balled her hands into tight fists and tears were starting to blur her vision.

“We have no right to ask them for more understanding.” Min Ho said harshly as he looked away and continued to call Shin Hye’s number.

“I didn’t mean to cross the line between us. I… I just thought you were tired and let you rest for a bit. I didn’t know that the sports day is so important to you.” So Ra said very softly, holding her gaze down.

Min Ho sighed deeply and looked back at her. “It’s not the sports day that is important. It’s the promise I made to them that will break their heart. This isn’t the first time I broke my promises and left them alone when they needed me.” He paused and sighed helplessly when he saw the tears in her eyes. His gaze slowly softened and let out another sigh. “So Ra… I have been very honest to you since we started this relationship. Nothing will change no matter what happen between us. Shin Hye and So Ra will always be my first priority.”

So Ra nodded with her tears dripping down her eyes. “I know. I’m sorry.”

A pang of guilt hit Min Ho’s heart looking at her like this. He inhaled another deep breath before he took her hand and squeezed it softly. “Have you taken your medicine?” Her face looked pale and it worries him. When he woke up this morning and knows that they have missed the flight, he was so angry and didn’t check on her. She has to take her medication every morning when she wakes up and every night before she sleep.

So Ra nodded again without looking at him.

He heaved a deep sigh and pulled her to him, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. “Don’t cry. I’m not angry with you. I was just angry with myself. But please… don’t let something like this happen again. I know it’s unfair to you but… it’s never fair to Shin Hye too.”

So Ra buried her face in the crook of his neck and pressed her lips against his neck.

Min Ho her hair soothingly. How can he be angry with her when the one who made the mistake was him? He should have pushed her away the first time she came to him. He shouldn’t have kept her by his side when his heart was already given to his wife

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter