Dinner Talk

First Love

"Nothing." You muttered under your breath as you checked your phone for the millionth time today. It was already 6 pm and nothing from Jimin. "He won't call or text you. Stop checking." You said to yourself and put your phone in your bag. 

 
You continued walking around the store trying to find things to make for tomorrow. You missed Korean food while you were away so you decided to make a dish each night. 
 
Earlier today you went to the museum and art gallery with your mom. You waited for him to just text or call you but nothing. Each time your phone vibrated your heart would stop thinking it was him. 
 
You finished shopping and checked out. While you were paying you noticed you had one missed call from an unknown number. You put your phone back in your bag as your heart raced. 'You would call back in the car' You thought to yourself as you paid the cashier. 
 
As you walked out you rushed going to your car. You got in and placed the bags in the passenger seat. You call the unknown number back. Your heart raced as you heard it ringing. After two rings someone answered. 
 
"Hello?" The man on the other side said. 
 
"Hi, I just got a missed call from you." 
 
"(YN)?" Your heart was beating so fast from the adrenaline. Why did he have this effect on you? You just talked to him yesterday but you're so nervous just to answer your own name. 
 
"Y-yeah?" You heard a chuckle at the other end. 
 
"Why do you sound so shaky?" He asks. You clear your throat trying to calm down. 
 
"I got surprised that the person knew my name." You lie and you hear him laugh on the other end. 
 
"Same old (YN). So are we still on for tonight?" You close your eyes. You really started feeling sick. You were so nervous. 
 
"Yeah. Where do you want to go?" 
 
"My house." He laughs.
 
"Oh...um...we can go out to eat I don't want Mina to...." He cuts you off before you continue.  
 
"Mina is visiting her family for the week with Myung. I've learned how to cook so I want to show you." You can tell he's smiling really big on the other side. "You always made fun of me that you would feel bad for me when I would have to cook for my children because I was so bad." You laugh and bit your lip. 
 
'No Mina.' You thought to yourself. 
 
"I guess we'll see tonight." You say laughing. You set a time to come and hang up. You smiled so big your cheeks hurt. 
 
You came back to avoid him and just visit family now your going over his house to eat dinner alone. This is not what you wanted. Or was it? 
 
A little piece of you wanted this to happen when you first booked the tickets. You knew you would see him because your parents told you he lived next door ever since he had Myung. There was no chance you both wouldn't cross paths. That little piece also just wanted your best friend back. Which part of you told the truth of what you wanted?
 
---------------------------
 
You slowly knocked on the door. You stood there in jeans and a regular t-shirt. You heard some shuffling on the other side of the door and Jimin pops up as he opens the door. 
 
"Hey." He pulls you in a tight embrace. You closed your eyes for a second remembering all the times he's hugged you like this. Your heart grew a little heavy. He lets go and smiles. 
 
"Hey." You say as he turns around to walk inside. You walk in and close the door. His house was built similar to yours but his was slightly bigger. Looking around it looked nothing like he would describe his dream house to you when you were younger. "Where's the dance studio you wanted to build in your house?" You say laughing. He started laughing as he continued walking into the kitchen. 
 
"Ever since the whole pregnancy thing I stopped my dreams for Myung and Mina. I work in an office with my dad." You nod even though he wasn't looking at you. 
 
"Do you still go to the studio to dance?" He stops walking and turns around. 
 
"No Mina wanted me to focus on our family." You nodded and decided to stop asking him about dancing. He continued walking. When you were younger he would talk about how he would become a famous dancer traveling the world with idols. "Are you still drawing and painting?" He asks as he reached the kitchen. 
 
"Yeah I travel around the world during our breaks. Getting to see different places." He laughs and continues mixing something in the pot. 
 
"At least one of our dreams came true." You smile and look down. 
 
"You should continue dancing. Myung is old enough now." You look up and he avoids eye contact. 
 
"Mina's not too into the whole dancing thing." 
 
"Oh." Is all you could say. You felt bad for him. Mina always controlled him even when they were first dating. You would always tell him to stand up for himself but look at him now. Putting his dreams off for her. 
 
You wanted to ask him what she gave up for him but you decided it wasn't any of your business anymore. It was silent. You tried to think of something but nothing came to mind that didn't involve the past. 
 
"It's almost ready." He says changing the subject. 
 
"Do you want me to set up anything?" You say looking at the table. He had already set up everything except the plates. "Never mind." You say laughing. 
 
"Yeah I got too excited that I got everything ready." He said laughing. As he started flipping up your plates you sat down at the table. 
 
The house was nice but you didn't feel right in it. You knew everything that was in here wasn't what he wanted. You felt bad for him. Pulling you out of your thoughts he places a plate in front of you. You look down and observe what he made. It was some kind of pasta with some sauce you've never seen. On top of the macaroni was chicken cut up into little pieces. 
 
"This actually looks good." You say laughing. He smiles really big. 
 
"Really? When I first started learning how to cook I wanted to show you." You take some of the pasta and put it in your mouth. 
 
"Wow this is really good!" You say as he continued watching you with a smile. 
 
"Thank you!" He says then taking his fork and eating his plate. "So how's college?" 
 
"It's good. I'm almost finished." 
 
"What are your plans after college? Are you coming back to Korea?" 
 
"I'm actually going to live there and just come visit during the summer. I'll be traveling a lot so there's no point. I also got a job at this art gallery." 
 
"That's good!" He says and silence followed. "Do you have a boyfriend?" You choke on the pasta you had in your mouth. 
 
"Um no...the last boyfriend I had was a year ago." You said in between coughs. 
 
"Oh." He nodded and took around bite. 
 
"Myung is a great kid." You say changing the subject. 
 
"Yeah he's the amazing but he can be a handful." He says laughing. "Mina says he takes after me with everything but when he's stubborn he's just like her." 
 
"Yeah he reminds me a lot of you. Especially his smile." Jimin looked up from his plate and smiled. 
 
"Yeah everyone says that." You guys finished eating and cleaned up the table in silence. You felt close but so far away. Just then your phone started ringing. You look down and see its your mom. 
 
"Excuse me for one second." You say walking out of the kitchen. "Hey mom what's up?" 
 
"Hey I was just wondering what time your coming home." You laugh and roll your eyes. You start walking around the room.
 
"Really? Mom I've been on my own for a long time. You don't need to baby me." 
 
"I know but I don't see any lights on...." 
 
"Mom!" You yell laughing. You look around to see that Jimin wasn't behind you and whisper back to her. "He's married and has a kid." She starts laughing. 
 
"Honey their men. It's only you two in the house. Stuff happens..." You cut her off before she could say anything else. 
 
"I promise you nothing. We're just talking. I'll probably see you soon because we just finished dinner. Bye!" 
 
"Ok but I'm still gonna keep watch." You roll your eyes and hang up. You turn around and see that he's still in the kitchen. You walk in as he's pulling out dessert. 
 
"Oh no I can't have dessert!" You say rubbing your belly. His mouth opens wide. 
 
"Since when don't you have dessert?" 
 
"Since I've eaten your delicious pasta and I'm full." 
 
"Wow a lot has changed about you but I feel like I've stayed the same." He says laughing. You laugh with him. 
 
"I'm still the same person just some minor changes." He rolls his eyes and eats the dessert. "I should get going." You say. He frowns. 
 
"Do you want to come over again tomorrow? I'll be home alone again." You lightly push him. 
 
"Of course!" 
 
"I won't be home till after dinner but I have something to show you. I just got to pick it up at my parents house tomorrow." You smile. 
 
"Yeah that's totally fine with me. Good night." You say and start walking out. 
 
"Wait! I'll walk you out." You stop and turn around. 
 
"You don't have to!" You say laughing. "I live next door." 
 
"So!" He says and you both start walking to the front door. As you reached it you both stood there awkwardly. "Good night." He said and went for a hug. 
 
"Good night." You say hugging him back. You walk out the door and start heading to your house. You look back to his house as you reached your door. He was standing outside watching you. You bite your lip and wave good bye. He does the same and you walk inside. 
 
You quickly go into your room to avoid any questions from your mom. As you got ready for bed you looked out the window at his house. A light on the second floor was on. You saw a shadow pass by a couple times before the light finally went off. You smiled to yourself. 'Your seeing him again tomorrow' you thought to yourself as you laid on your bed and went to sleep. 
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I promise the next chapter will be better! I didn't wanna jump into things right at the beginning! :) hope you enjoy it!