Welcome Home

First Love

 

 
You take a deep breath in not ready for what was about to happen. 
 
You haven't seen your best friend since that one night four years ago. You finally decided to come back and visit home. Which meant of course seeing him too since he lived right next door to your parents. 
 
After that night, you decided to leave Korea and go study abroad. You needed to venture out and find yourself. That's what you told your parents but the other reason was because of him. 
 
The taxi stopped in front of the familiar house you grew up in. It hasn't changed since last time you saw it. 
 
Your heart beat increased as you glanced to the house next door. There were cars parked out in the driveway. Luckily it was late so you wouldn't run into him. 
 
You pay the taxi driver and get out. Your parents greet you as you walked in. 
 
"We missed you so much." Your parents said hugging you. 
 
"I missed you too." You said hugging them back. 
 
"Don't go back just stay with us and go to school here!" Your mom said. You laugh lightly and shake your head. 
 
"Omma! You know I can't do that." You say. 
 
"Ok don't bother her she's probably exhausted." Your dad said as he walked away. Your mom just rolled her eyes and looked at you again. 
 
"YA! She's my only child so of course I want her to stay!" She huffed and looked down at your suitcases. "How long are you staying for?" 
 
"I'm only staying for a month." You say looking down at the two suitcases you brought. 
 
While you were buying your ticket online you thought one month would be enough. At first you only wanted to stay for two weeks. You didn't think that your heart could take seeing him often since he lived right next door. But you did miss Korea and your family. 
 
"One month?" She said pouting. 
 
"I have to go back for the summer classes." You took summer classes so you can use it as an excuse to go back. 
 
"I know but you should have just took off this summer. You never come back for winter, spring or summer break." 
 
"You know I took those study abroad classes so I can travel." She turns around and sighs. 
 
"I know." You look down and take your suitcases in your hands. 
 
"Do I still have my room?" You ask laughing as you walk to the stairs. 
 
"Of course! Your mom wouldn't let me change it to a gym room." 
 
"Appa!" You say laughing. Your mom lightly hits him on his chest.
 
"What? You never come home and your 23 years old! I would think you'd find a guy and get married." You shake your head and continue laughing. 
 
"No." You say yawning. "I think I'm going to go to bed."
 
"Yeah we're about to go to bed too." Your dad says. "Do you need help carrying your suitcases?" 
 
"No it's ok I got them." You turn and start walking up the stairs. "Good night!" You say as your walking up. 
 
"Good night!" They say. 
 
You walk up the familiar staircase. The ones you would run up to, to escape your parents questions as a teenager. Everything in the house looked exactly the same as last time you left it. The same pictures on the walls and the same decorations. 
 
You would have thought they changed it once you left. As you come to the second floor you turn the same way towards your room. You stop at your door and put your suitcases down before opening the door. 
 
As you slowly open it, it felt like you went back into time. Everything was exactly the same way you left it. You laughed a little at the posters on the wall to the old bands you used to be obsessed with. 
 
You pick up your suitcases and bring them in. You slowly turn around in the middle of the room looking at everything in the room and remembering all your memories. 
 
Your eyes stop on one picture frame on the dresser and your heart drops. You walk towards it and take it in your hands. 
 
You could have sworn you had thrown this picture out of you and him at the park. You were both so happy in the picture. It was one of the best days of your life with him. Shaking the memories of that day out of your head you turn it over on the dresser and turn around. 
 
This was going to be harder than you thought.