51.

Three Halves to Make Me Whole

Jongdae cut off, his eyebrows knitting together. Was it really Yixing? His voice sounded so foreign.

"What? Who's not coming back?"

"Yifan... H-he's not coming b-back."

"Stay where you are, Hyung, we'll be there in ten minutes," Jongdae said, waiting for the older to hang up before he lowered the mobile, staring down at it for a moment before he stood from the bed and made his way to the bathroom door. "Junnie? I think I figured out why you're sick. Yixing-hyung's gonna need you."


Jongdae didn't have the chance to fully stop the car before Junmyeon was getting out of it, running up the sidewalk to where the blond was standing. His nose was red, eyes puffy and Junmyeon pulled him into a tight hug, feeling the other tremble as he took a breath.

"Yixing, what happened? Jongdae said something about Yifan staying in China?" he asked, looking over at the brunet he mentioned when the younger took a hold of his shoulder.

"Junmyeon, let's get him home before you start asking him questions. He's safe now that he's with us, it’s okay. We'll make sure he's alright,” he said and Junmyeon looked back to the dazed looking blond before guiding him into the car as Jongdae opened the door. Junmyeon stayed in the back seat with Yixing, pulling the other against him and carding his fingers through his hair, trying to get some kind of verbal response from him as Jongdae drove back to the apartment.


Yixing smiled at up at Yifan, interlocking their fingers now that they were both out of airport security, wheeling his suitcase alongside himself and looking over at Yifan’s free hand, frowning a little.

“Y-Yifan didn’t have… his suitcase…”

 


“Ge, where’s your bag? You had it a little bit ago,” Yixing said, looking back towards security, his attention moving to Yifan when the older’s grip tightened on his hand.

“Don’t worry about it,” Yifan said and Yixing frowned a little at the strain his voice held. He let himself be lead to the seating area, and let his curiosity fade as he cuddled into Yifan’s side to wait.

 


“He wouldn’t l-look at me,”
 


“Now boarding flight 867 in gate 9.” Yixing looked up as a voice called out over the speaker and he checked the ticket in his lap before he stood, tugging on Yifan’s hand to pull him to his feet.

“Time to go, Yifan-Ge,” he chimed, his smile fading when he noticed Yifan cast his gaze off to the side, staying rooted where he stood when Yixing tugged on his hand. “Yifan-Ge? Come on, it’s time for us to get on the plane.” He tensed, his statement coming out a little short when Yifan’s grip tightened to the point that it bent his hand in an uncomfortable way before he pulled his hand from Yixing’s.

“I’m not going back.”

 


“S-said he wasn’t coming b-back…” The blond’s chest throbbed and he curled a little in on himself, not moving much with the hold that Junmyeon had on him.
 


Yixing stared at the older for a moment before a nervous smile crossed his lips.

“Ge, that’s not funny. Come on, let’s go,” Yixing said, reaching for Yifan’s hand again, flinching when Yifan jerked his hand away and took a step back.

“It’s not a joke! I… I’m not going back to Korea. I’m staying here in China, I have my father’s company to run. We… We should break up.” Yixing’s eyes widened at the statement, feeling his stomach drop with a force that almost sent him to the floor. “It’s not fair to have you wait for a small chance where I would be able to visit you, so it’s best that we end this now rather than draw this all out.” Yixing reached out towards Yifan again, only for the other to turn and walk back towards the security entrance.

 


“He… walked away… j-just like that,” Yixing squeaked and Junmyeon exchanged a look with Jongdae through the rear view mirror before he leaned forward, half draping himself over the trembling figure in his lap.

 


Before long Jongdae had parked at the apartment complex, and was opening the back door, going to help Junmyeon get Yixing out of the back seat though he stopped short and just kept out of the way. This was Junmyeon’s job, not his, and he had to remember that as he closed the car door behind them, before holding open the door to the apartment complex, and then to their apartment. Meng appeared in the living room when the door closed behind the three of them, and Junmyeon wasn’t able to keep Yixing from dropping to his knees, following him down as the blond choked on a sob, and Jongdae stared at the two of them with wide eyes.

“Jongdae, I need you to do something for me,” Junmyeon said as Yixing pressed his face into the other’s chest, muffling his sobs. “I need you to keep Meng in your apartment for a few days,” Junmyeon continued and Jongdae looked from Junmyeon to the Egyptian Mau and back. “Starting now.”

“Y-yeah, sure thing,” he said, taking a couple long strides across the room and picking the cat up, watching him mew at Yixing and try to squirm out of Jongdae’s hold as he walked past the two and out of the apartment. He opened the door to his apartment and set Meng down, only for the cat to dart out of the apartment before Jongdae could close the door and the brunet frowned as he sat in front of Yixing and Junmyeon’s apartment, meowing loudly and pawing at the door. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Jongdae muttered, picking the cat back up and going into his apartment, fighting with the cat for who knew how long before he managed to shut him in the bathroom, cringing a little as Meng started crying at the door, and he heard the cat’s claws against it.

“Sorry Meng, Junnie’s orders,” he said before making his way next door to the other’s apartment. He opened the door, finding the two no longer in the middle of the living room and he slid out of his shoes, padding towards the bedroom and opening the door slowly, peeking in. The pair was cuddled up on Yixing’s bed, making Jongdae’s heart throb a little at how puffy Yixing’s eyes were and he closed the door behind himself, making his way over to the duo. He opened his mouth to ask Junmyeon if there was anything he could do, voice catching when he noticed that Junmyeon’s eyes were closed as well, and Jongdae’s shoulders sunk a little before he ran a hand through his own hair. He looked to Junmyeon’s bed, pulling one of the blankets off of it and covered the duo with it, sitting on Junmyeon’s bed after. He watched the two for a few moments before he sighed and leaned forward, holding his head in his hands until he felt stiff and he shifted to lay on the bed.

Jongdae woke to Junmyeon shaking his shoulder a little, watching the blond hold a finger to his lips and point over at Yixing, who was still asleep and he let go of Jongdae, making his way towards the bedroom door, the brunet following after him. Once the door shut behind him he looked to Junmyeon who was rubbing his face with his hand and walking into the kitchen.

“Is he going to be okay?” Jongdae asked, Junmyeon lowering his hand before turning to face the younger.

“You tell me. Would you be if I left? Would anyone be after losing a soulmate like that?” He asked, Jongdae’s eyes widened and he looked back at the bedroom door for a moment before shifting his attention back to Junmyeon.

“You think they were…”

“With the way Yixing talked about him when I finally stopped trying to keep them separated? If they weren’t then I would be shocked. You’re the expert on this, I would have thought that you would have guessed it before I did,” Junmyeon said, leaning back against the fridge.

“I mean… I’ve seen a lot of instances where someone dated their platonic soulmate and broke up. I helped your classmate Minseok with that awhile back, but I… Other than Baekhyun-Hyung and Chanyeol-Hyung I’ve never seen a romantic bonded pair break up,” Jongdae explained, swallowing hard at the sympathetic throb he felt in his chest, his hand coming up to cover his heart. “Kyungsoo said that after Baekhyun broke up with him, all Chanyeol did was cry or zone out for a couple of days… when he wasn’t sleeping, that is,” he added and Junmyeon hung his head, sighing.

“I take that as you don’t know how I can help him then, other than be there for him.” Jongdae nodded, before chewing on the inside of his lip for a moment.

“Why did you have me take Meng? Aren’t pets supposed to be good at comforting their owners when they’re distressed?” Jongdae asked, taking a step closer to the blond who shook his head.

“Maybe in some cases, but I don’t think Meng will be of any help to Yixing.”

“Why is that?”

“Because Yifan was the one who bought Meng for Yixing. He had to go on all of those business trips and he didn’t want Yixing to feel lonely, so he bought Yixing an Egyptian Mau because they’re known for talking back to their owners a lot. I’m pretty sure that’s why Yixing broke down again when he saw Meng,” he explained, and they both turned their attention to the bedroom door when it opened and Yixing stepped out, rubbing one of his eyes.

“Morning~” the blond chimed and Junmyeon and Jongdae exchanged a look before Junmyeon took a couple steps towards the other.

“Yixing, are you alright?” He asked, the other lowering his hand and giving the two a curious look.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Yixing asked in turn and Junmyeon swallowed hard, standing in front of him so he would be ready to catch Yixing if he started crying again.

“Because of yesterday… Because Yifan’s staying in China… ” Yixing’s smile fell before he shook his head.

“Oh that. He's just on a business trip.” Junmyeon stared at the blond for a moment before he shook his head.

“N... No he isn't, Yixing,” he said carefully, taking a step forward and placing his hands on the other’s shoulders. “He's staying in China. You said so yourself,” Junmyeon tried, tensing when Yixing pulled back, looking around the living room.

“Where’s Meng?” Junmyeon winced

“He's at Jongdae’s.” Yixing looked back at him, pouting.

“Why?” Yixing asked, and Junmyeon was surprised when Jongdae stepped beside him.

“Junnie didn't like staying here when you were gone, it made him miss you too much… So he took Meng with him when he came to stay at my place.” Junmyeon swallowed hard at the lie, and he didn't feel at ease when the other seemed to believe it, heading for the front door.

“Can we go get him now? I miss my little Meng,” Yixing said, Jongdae making his way to join him at the door.

“I'll go get him and bring him to you, okay?” he asked and Yixing agreed, watching the brunet leave before he looked back to Junmyeon.

“Is everything alright Junmyeon?” The blond gave a stiff nod, trying to paint on a smile.

“Of course, I was just trying to decide what we should all have for breakfast. Anything you're craving?” Junmyeon asked, making his way back into the kitchen.

 

 

Jongdae knocked before opening the door to the duo’s apartment, eyes catching on the blond laying on the couch with Meng sitting on his chest while he played with the cat’s paws. Junmyeon looked up from his laptop, eyes flickering over to Yixing before settling back on Jongdae, painting on a smile.

 

“Yixing, weren't you going to go down to the daycare and get your schedule for this term since you finished signing up for classes?” he asked, Yixing pausing his actions before offering a bubbly smile.

 

“I forgot about that, thank you,” he said, sitting up as Meng climbed onto the back of the couch and made his way towards the door, Jongdae moving out of his way. The pair watched Yixing slide on his shoes and grab his keys from the hook by the door, offering a small wave before he left, and Jongdae slowly turned to Junmyeon when he sighed.

 

“Does he… Still think Yifan-Hyung is coming back?” He asked, Junmyeon nodding as he leaned forward, propping his elbows on his thighs and resting his face in his hands.

 

“I don't understand why he's okay. Well, he's not really okay, and while I don't want him to hide in our room all day, crying his eyes out, I'm… I'm more worried about how he is now. It’s been three days and he’s still...” Jongdae sat on the cushion beside the older, who lowered one hand to look at him. “Why is he acting like this? He said himself that Yifan wasn't coming back, so why…” his voice caught in his throat and he closed his eyes, hanging his head.

 

“I guess losing Yifan-Hyung was just… more traumatic than either of us could have guessed,” Jongdae said, brushing his fingers against the back of Junmyeon’s hand. When the other didn't flinch away he wrapped an arm around the blond, pulling him to lean against himself.

 

“I just want him to be okay. And right now he… He's not okay and I can’t make him be okay,” Junmyeon said in a shaky voice, feeling Jongdae pull him closer.

 

“I know. I also know you'll take care of him, you have for as long as I've known you two.”

 

“He's my friend and my soul mate, so of course I'm going to take care of him,” Junmyeon said softly. “Speaking of soulmates, have you been keeping up on what's going on with Baekhyun?” he asked, and Jongdae sighed, leaning back into the couch.

 

“Apparently he moved out of the dorm he was in with Chanyeol-hyung and Kyungsoo-Hyung, and in with his brother. Last I heard he started dating Taeyeon again,” he said tiredly, Junmyeon shifting to cuddle into his side.

 

“Sorry, I shouldn't have asked,” he said, the brunet shaking his head.

“It's not that I just… Don't know what's going on with him, and he refuses to tell me. Well, he comes up with several excuses, but he won't tell me what's really going on and it's frustrating. I just want to be there for him and help him,” he looked down at Junmyeon, kissing his forehead. “So I understand where you're coming from with Yixing-Hyung. We just have to… Wait and see, and do whatever we can when we can do it, even if it .”