97.

Three Halves to Make Me Whole


97. Selu proposal and wedding


Stretching the full length of their shared bed, LuHan yawned, letting the breath out as a sigh as he let his body relax against the sheets. His attention drifted over to his mobile on the nightstand, reaching for it to check the time, locking his screen the moment after and staring for a moment at the black screen; after all these months he was finally getting used to how dark his natural black hair was, but there was still a part of him that missed the way that his pink had looked.

Maybe I’ll pick up some bleach and dye at the store? He wondered, pushing himself up off the bed, wandering over to the dresser to change into a pair of jeans and a simple t-shirt, sitting back down on the bed to pull on his socks. He made his way back over to the dresser to grab his wallet off the top of it, stepping out of the room and through the living room on his way to the closet. Grabbing the beige letterman jacket, the dark haired male slipped it on, pocketing his wallet as his other hand reached for his keys, causing a soft clink as they knocked into each other in their journey from the kitchen counter to the deadbolt. Once he heard the clunk that signaled the lock slipping into place, LuHan turned away from the doorway, sending a smile to one of their neighbors, taking the stairs down and heading out of the apartment complex.

With how close they lived to a grocery store it wasn’t much of a hassle going shopping, either alone or in a pair with Sehun, usually for no more than a couple of bag with how often they went. Half of the time they would go shopping for what they planned to make for dinner that night, though sometimes they managed to plan out what they wanted to eat throughout the week. Within an hour LuHan had walked the distance to and from the store, setting down what was needed for this week’s planned meals on the kitchen floor, reaching into his pocket to pull back out his wallet and set it on the counter, the cling and rattle he heard from the floor drawing his attention downward to the silver circle stilling against the white tile floor.

That’s right. The ring Sehun got me, LuHan thought, kneeling down to pick up the cooling metal, turning it a little in the light as if he hadn’t memorized evert single millimeter over the several months since he had found it and taken it to China with him. There it had remained in its box, hidden in one of the drawers in his room, but here he kept it in his pocket, taking it with himself every time that he left the house. After all Sehun hadn’t asked for it back… or mentioned anything about it, really. So LuHan simply held onto it in case he ever did, slipping it on his left hand when no one was around to see, turning it a little as his head would tilt to the side, eyes fixated on the way that it glinted in the light, just as he did now knowing Sehun wasn’t near the apartment yet.

Smiling to himself LuHan straightened his legs to stand, turning his focus back to the bags of groceries, putting them away in their place, his eyes catching on the ring from time to time. Once the task had been finished LuHan wandered back into the bedroom, debating on washing the bedding, but a glance to his mobile to check the time again, seeing a message from Sehun stating that he was headed home early from work, put that idea to rest and he simply flopped back onto the bed. Eyes sliding closed to rub at his eyes with the back of his hand, the small bit of metal now warmed with his body heat had the male raising his hand up towards the ceiling light, staring at the ring, caught up in imagining a time where he wouldn’t have to take it off and hide it in his coat pocket, a soft smile crossing his lips.

“Should I be worried that there’s someone else?” Sehun’s voice shook LuHan out of his day dream, eyes snapping to the younger’s face, standing in the doorway, and LuHan pushed himself up into a sitting position, hands finding their way into his lap to fiddle with the ring, twisting it a little as Sehun stepped over to join him on the bed.

“Of course not, don’t be an idiot. I just… like the way it looks. So… sometimes I put it on,” he admitted slowly in a low tone, his embarrassment due to finally being caught showing through even without Sehun having to give much attention to the male’s tinted cheeks.

“We can get married, you know,” Sehun stated, causing LuHan’s attention to shift up to his face, eyes wide.

“Really?” He asked, causing the younger to let out a soft laugh as he nodded, his turn to look away from LuHan.

“I still wanna marry you. I just didn’t want to rush anything, like I kinda did the first time with buying the ring even though I wasn’t planning on proposing to you till I graduated from college,” Sehun explained. “If I had known that you wanted to get married, I would have asked a long time ago,” he added, nudging the other’s shoulder with his own as a smile spread across his lips, matching the one crossing LuHan’s. “You’re not going to run away from me again, are you? We shouldn’t spend time and money on planning this thing if you’re just going to leave me at the altar,” the blond teased, LuHan’s eyes rolling as he wrapped an arm around Sehun’s waist, leaning forward to push Sehun onto his back, lightly pinning him to the bed, LuHan burying his face into Sehun’s neck.

“No. Never. I’m never going to run from you again,” he stated, sitting back up to slide the ring off his finger, Sehun pushing himself up to watch the other hold the ring out with one hand, taking Sehun’s left hand with his other. “After everything that we’ve been through and everything that I’ve put you through, with this ring I swear to stand by your side from this day until the end of our days. Will you, Oh Sehun, take me as your husband?” He asked, Sehun breaking out into a smile again as he nodded.

“I do,” he replied, LuHan starting to slip the ring on, pausing when it wouldn’t slide past the second joint of Sehun’s finger. The younger let out a laugh at the small, irritated huff that the dark haired male let out, pulling the ring back, settling it on the younger’s pinky instead.


To: GeGe (11:09)
> Ge, did you and Minseok-Hyung have a fight? I mentioned to him something about the four of us carpooling to Sehun and LuHan-Ge’s wedding and he wouldn’t give me a reason for why he didn’t want to.

From: GeGe (11:34)
>About that… He asked for my blessing to propose to you, and I told him no.

To: GeGe (11:36)
>That explains a few things.

To: GeGe (11:37)
>It was probably hard to tell him that, but thank you, Ge.

From: GeGe (11:45)
>I know you’ve been working on your plan to propose to him for a while. And how much it means to you for you to be the one to do it. Just please… Do it sometime soon? I’d rather not have him planning my death when it’s only been a year since I got Junmyeon to stop doing the same thing.

To: GeGe (11:49)
>Once things calm down after the wedding today, I’ll do it. Just last a little longer, okay Ge?


“ZiTao! Come on, we need to leave soon,” Minseok called, peaking into the room with a small frown at the way the blond way lounging on the bed, shaking his head a little as he stepped further into the room, ZiTao sitting up. The copper haired male reached out, fingers brushing over the few wrinkles of the younger’s dress shirt, fussing with the tie, causing ZiTao to dramatically cough when it was tightened, and ZiTao reached out to pull Minseok into his lap as a tactic to get him to stop grooming him.

“Would you relax? It’s not like this is the first wedding we’ve gone to,” he pointed out, Minseok’s lips forming a small pout as his eyes remained on ZiTao’s shirt collar, tugging a little here and there to get it to settle perfectly.

“No, this makes number five, in almost three years,” the older pointed out, the conversation a few moments prior with Yifan resulting in the other’s tone making a lot more sense, and ZiTao leaned forward to kiss Minseok’s forehead.

“Are you unhappy that LuHan-Ge and Sehun are getting married?” The question caused Minseok’s hands to freeze, and ZiTao’s tongue slipped out to wet his own lips as Minseok moved off his lap.

“Of course not,” he replied, almost hastily, ZiTao’s hand moving up to twist the simple black stud in his right ear, watching Minseok wander over in the direction of the bedroom door. “Come on, we don’t want to be late. LuHan would probably kill both of us.” ZiTao let out a laugh at the statement, standing from the bed and sliding his mobile into his pocket before trailing after the older.

“I get the feeling he’d be too nervous about saying something wrong during the vows,” he pointed out, Minseok shaking his head once more, ushering the blond out the front door, locking it behind himself.

~

Sehun’s eyes shifted to the reflection of the door as he heard a series of hollow knocks sounding from behind himself, turning in his chair to face it. His lips parted to call to the intruder just as the door opened, and a smile tugged at his lips at the sight of the dark haired male, the older’s shift only half way buttoned as his tie was draped around his neck.

“I thought it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, Hyung.” The dark haired male arched an eyebrow, closing the door as he leaned back against it.

“True, but I don’t see any brides here, so,” he mused with a shrug, biting back a grin as Sehun stood, taking long strides to cross the room and wrap his arms around LuHan’s waist, pulling him close while partially pinning him to the door, lips ghosting against each others’.

“How long until the service starts?”

“Mm… Long enough,” LuHan grinned, eagerly pressing his lips the rest of the way againse Sehun’s.


~

"Where's the lucky couple?" Chanyeol asked, arms looped around Baekhyun's waist as Kyungsoo offered a shrug.

"Getting dressed? Some people like to actually look nice for these things."

"I dunno, they might have other plans from the sounds coming from the bridal room," Jongdae called, moving his way over to the table the four were seated at. "With the details they picked you would think they would want to be out here with the rest of us, admiring the little pastel pink accents complimenting the shade of blue they chose," he added, head cocking a little to the side when Minseok stood up from the table next to them, sparing no one a glance as he left the main room in the direction of the dressing rooms.

"I swear to god if you two are even a minute late to the reception, I'm dragging ZiTao up to the alter!" the copper haired male's voice rang loud and clear even from down the hall, the others bursting out in a fit of laughter.

Before long they were all called to the reception room, seeming a little empty with the group of less than twenty bodies taking up space in it. A gentle hush fell over the room shortly after they were all seated, music gradually flowing through the speakers to signal Sehun's trip down the aisle. A brief pause and softening of the music had everyone's attention shifting back to the entrance of the room, LuHan moving into the doorway, Minseok by his side as the two walked up to the alter, the older taking his place at the side.
 
“We are gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Mr. Lu Han and Mr. Oh Sehun in holy matrimony. LuHan, please proceed with your vows,” the priest guided, the black haired male’s eyes darting to him before he nodded and looked back to Sehun, tightening his hold on the younger’s hands.
 
“From the first time that we met there was something about you that had an effect on me. I was in that dance class just to fulfil a requirement of my degree, but watching the way that you moved when you danced stirred something in my heart that took me months to even place a label on, let alone do anything about. And even then you were always there, patient, ready to take my hand when I needed something or someone to hold on to. You didn’t pressure or try to sway me in any direction, almost as if you knew I was going to be with you- that all you had to do was wait for my head to catch up to my heart, and for me to realize just what you were to me. That you were meant for me, and that I was meant for you.”

“I know that it was an awful thing to do, disappearing without a trace, without any indication that I cared about you and how leaving would affect you… And even with all the pain that going back to my parents caused, I think that it really opened my eyes and showed me that my parents know nothing about who I really am. The life that they picked out for me, the way they wanted me to look, to dress, to have as a career… I wanted none of it because it meant sacrificing my happiness here in Korea… Here with you. I’m never going to leave your side again, I promise.”
 
"And now Sehun, your vows." Sehun's eyes shifted to the priest for a moment, darting down to his and LuHan's feet before meeting LuHan's eyes.
 
"I don't remember much of what happened after you left... I was in such a dark place, I didn't leave the apartment much... Had to take a leave from school, and honestly I don't know how I wasn't fired from my job. Then when you asked me if we could get back together, give us another shot I was scared to say yes... But I was even more scared by the possibility that I would love the love of my life.

"When you plan your future with or around someone, even if those plans are only in your head and you don't talk about them... When that person leaves it kind of leaves you wondering what kind of future you actually have anymore. I knew I would regret it if I said no to the chance of being with you again, because I know that we're meant to be... And the fact that you were patient with me, with gaining my trust back, that further proved to me that we're simply meant to be," the blond finished with a smile. The priest nodded, clearing his throat.

“If there is anyone who believes these two shouldn’t be married, speak now or may you forever hold your peace,” he called, LuHan’s eyes gliding over the crowd, heart stopping at one of the faces in the back corner of the room. What was his father doing here? How had he managed to get in without him noticing? Was he going to- “As there are no objections, I now pronounce you two as a married couple. You may now kiss.” The priest’s voice caused LuHan to jolt a little, quickly dismissing his brief panic as his eyes found Sehun’s once more. Placing his hands on each of the younger’s cheeks he leaned in, the pair pressing their lips against one another’s as the room broke out into a cheer.  Once the crowd died down and filtered out of the room Sehun gave a curious glance in the direction that LuHan’s eyes shifted to again, placing a hand over one of LuHan’s to give it a firm squeeze.

“Is that your dad?” He asked, though the tone his voice held hinted that he already knew the answer, and LuHan swallowed hard as a reply. The older male stood from his seat, his steps seeming almost calculated as he made his way towards the now wedded pair, stopping only a few feet from them. LuHan’s chest puffed out a little stepping between Sehun and his father, mouth opening only for no words to slip out as Mr. Lu held out a red and gold tassle. Taking the last few steps towards the other LuHan took the offering, looking down at the embroidered character ‘fu’, his thumb soothing over it.

“For prosperity and freedom,” his father stated in a soft voice, tugging at LuHan’s heart. “Your mother and I wanted only what was best for you, thinking we knew what that was. But as your own person, only you truly know what that is. I came here today to offer my blessing to you, and assure you that you and your husband shall always be welcome in our home.”

“What about Mama? She’s not here, what makes you think that she’d let me set foot inside?” LuHan asked, his father shaking his head with a small chuckle.

“She’ll come around, just you wait and see. Especially if you two decide to have kids. Your mother sure does love babies,” he stated, pulling a laugh from both Sehun and LuHan.

“Thank you, Baba. It means more than I could ever be able to say to have you here today,” LuHan stated, squeezing the tassel in his hand. The older male smiled wide, placing a hand on LuHan’s shoulder to give it a squeeze of his own, eyes shifting to Sehun with a bow of his head.

“My son had placed his happiness with you. I trust you to take care of him.” Sehun perked up, giving a bow of his own. “Now, you two have guests to tend to,” Mr. Lu added, stepping to the side as he gestured for the pair to walk back down the aisle together. Intertwining their fingers LuHan threw a smile over his shoulder at his father, walking out of the reception room and towards the main hall. The table closest to the entrance had an uncomfortable looking Yifan seated beside ZiTao, chatting away at Yixing from across the table, Sehun leaning in close to LuHan as his eyes fell on Minseok.

“How long do you think it’ll take Minseok-Hyung to crack? He and ZiTao-Hyung are the only ones in our group that haven’t gotten married, or even engaged yet.” LuHan followed the younger’s line of sight, letting out a soft hum.

“I say sometime at the end of the year.” Sehun playfully scoffed.

“Yeah right, I bet he’ll break any day now. Might even pop the question as soon as they get out of their suits at home.”

“Minseok’s got a lot more patience than you think. He did date me for like, six months.”

“The how about we make a bet? Loser does dishes for a whole week.” Sehun said with a grin.

“Deal.”


((A/N: Aaaaaaand with that, Three Halves to Make Me Whole comes to an end. We have an epilogue planned that will hopefully be out within a month or so, which will mostly be a summary of where everyone ends up in the next couple of years

Thank you all for standing with us over the last three years and being so patient and kind with your encouragement. We wouldn't have gotten through this journey without you all <3