The First Time They Met

Kimi no taion

Kai stared at their manager while he talked, noticing clearly that they were getting closer and closer to the meeting place. Ruki nudged the leader’s chest, getting his attention and pointing to the two figures, one busy on the phone while the other stands around, waiting eagerly for something or someone.

 

“Is that one of them…?” Kai looks at Ruki who smiles at Aoi who smiles back at Kai. “I’m guessing that is a yes. Please behave, okay? Don’t scare them on our first meeting.” Kai warns them with a glare as the van slows down to a stop.

 

Kai steps out second, after their manager Takuya steps out to meet the manager and the member of the Flores waiting outside for them. Thanks to Takuya’s frame, his view of the girl was blocked but soon after, four more girls poured out of the entrance, walking quietly in their direction like dignified angels coming to meet new arrivals in heaven.

 

Hyun Mi stands in front of him and extends her hand, speaking in fluent Japanese. “Kang Hyun Mi, drummer for the Flores. Nice to meet you.” Smiling amiably, he grasps her hand firmly, giving it a firm shake. “Kai, the drummer and leader for the GazettE. Or… Uke Yutaka, my real name. Nice to meet you too, Hyun Mi-san.”

 

Kim Hye Soo boldly stands in front of the one she guessed is Ruki and smiles at him cheerfully, “Konbanwa! I’m Kim Hye Soo! I’m the keyboardist for Flores Bonitas. And you are…?” she tilted her head at the spectacled man. “Uhm… I’m Ruki, the singer and lyricist for the GazettE… And…Um…You’re really pretty, Hye Soo-san…”

 

Hye Soo blushed, mentally cheering since she got the person she was looking for, "Thank you! You're really good looking too!" She stepped away from him politely. “I shall greet the others now!~” waving lightly to him, she moved on to smile and shake hands with the other guys from the band.

 

Sang Hee smiled at the manager and stepped away after they finished talking and watched her own manager walk away with Takuya. Turning back to the guests she saw a man with a  noseband standing in front of her. Smiling immediately she extended her hand, “Reita-san, I presume?” (Just a short note here, I am not going to write anything in Japanese or in Korean or their romanisations. But I will specify when who is speaking in which language.) Reita’s eyes naturally widened in surprise hearing the Korean girl speak in fluent Japanese.

 

“Oh... Nice to meet you, I’m Reita... The bassist for the GazettE” He felt like he was speaking in a daze as the younger girl smiled charmingly up at him before replying in the same friendly tone, “My name is Choi Sang Hee, leader, singer, guitarist and co-lyricist for the Flores.” Reita was surprised by the importance of the girl with the small frame who packed so much in her.

 

Sang Hee slightly bowed to him and gestured towards the bar. “Shall we all go in? Our managers have left to talk business amongst themselves. Right now, we should just get to know each other better.”

 

Turning to the rest of the people, she inhales deeply before projecting her voice loud enough for everyone gathered at the entrance, “Girls, and members of the GazettE, can we all come inside please? It is not good for us to stand around outside. As our managers have headed off to discuss business together, the two leaders will be taking care of all your demands and requests. Therefore could I ask the leader from the GazettE to stay back? Thank you. Please head in, the rest of you.”

 

Moon In smiles encouragingly at Sang Hee, “I know you can handle this. Good luck, Sang Hee-yah.” Sang Hee nods at her unnie who has helped her with her post as the leader.

 

Kai stays back as his younger counterpart requested of him while his bandmates smile, grin and wink at him, following the younger girls into the bar. After they leave him and Sang Hee, he hears the girl behind him sigh shakily out of relief. Turning around, he sets his eyes on her for the first time since his arrival.


Slowly taking in her shoes, her dress, her accessories and her makeup and hairstyle, he smiles, catching on to the amount of effort she put into her look. Sang Hee turns to him, pushing her hair out of her face. “I’m sorry, I’m going to get straight to the point. When we go in there, we should just take it easy and get to know each other at first but I want to know each of your strong points. If we are going to work together, we need to complement each other during the project.”

 

Kai nods before flicking the bangs away from his face, noticing the light blush on her cheeks, causing a smile to appear on his face too, “Of course. I look forward to working with you, Sang Hee-chan!”

 

Sang Hee coughs to clear and nods back at him. Extending her hand, she looks at him seriously, “I have looked up to the GazettE for a long time now and as I finally have a chance to, I look forward to working on this project with you to make our fans happy and attract more fans to each other’s groups.”

 

Kai’s eyes widen in surprise and he shakes her hand, “Honestly, we have been following your group since your debut since you guys are one of a kind in Korea. So I am really excited about this! Let’s be friends by the end of this, alright?” Sang Hee looks away and nods numbly and turns around, strutting towards the door of the bar, leaving only a trail of faint scent. Kai follows quietly, wondering about the sudden change in attitude.

 

After entering, Sang Hee stands at the door, watching the boys mingle amongst themselves while the girls giggle about something over Hyun Mi’s phone. Kai clears his throat, attracting the attention of all the musicians in the room. “Is this what Sang Hee-chan and I expected of you?” A collective negative shake of heads was seen, making Sang Hee giggle.

 

“Well then, since this didn’t work out, how about we play 20 questions~?” Sang Hee smiled at them pleasantly. “I don’t mind. As long as it’s not too personal, I’m okay with it.” Aoi shrugged just like Kai expected him to. Uruha just nodded along, an assortment of glasses from previously ordered drinks already gathered in front of him. Ruki looks almost too excited as he nods his consent leaving only Reita who just smiles at Sang Hee who smiles cordially back.

 

They decided they would spin an empty bottle to decide the person who asks the question and the answerer. Sang Hee ordered vodka again but a whole bottle this time which she poured into everyone’s glass as long as they didn’t mind, ordering scotch and tequila for the ones who didn’t have vodka. As they drank, warm conversation flowed between the two bands, the alcohol taking away the previous nervousness present in their systems.

 

As soon as the bottle finished, Hye Soo stood up and grabbed the bottle and set it in the middle of the table, leaning onto the table to reach the middle before Moon In pulls her back. Reita gets up next and spins it with as much force as he could muster with Ruki and Uruha colliding against his side like little kids quarrelling.

 

The bottle spun well surprising all the members of the table. The bottle stopped pointing between Min Hee and Hyun Mi. The latter immediately giggled. “My question to you, Min Hee-yah! Which group is your favourite in the kpop scenario?” Min Hee blushed knowing that Hyun Mi asked a question to which she already knew the answer to, “B-BTS…” Sang Hee giggled. “Oh yeah! Moon In unnie, Hye Soo, and you really like them! Which is why we had to have them as guests on our special coverage show!”

 

The boys just sighed, not understanding much but just knowing that there was a group of boys named BTS that three of the five members liked. But soon, Moon In clapped her hands and spun the bottle again, this time the bottle stopping on Hyun Mi as the questioner and Reita as the answerer.

 

Hyun Mi smiled at her neighbour, Min Hee before turning back to Reita and opens to ask a question but gets cut off by Kai. “Okay, just remember that you should not ask questions which are overly personal like say... ‘When did you lose your ity?’ you know...? It’s uncomfortable.” Reita chuckles, “I don’t even remember that!”

 

Hyun Mi nods at them, grinning and turns to Reita. “Well, which instrument would you play, if given the chance, other than the bass?” Snorting, he answered, “None! The bass. Well if not the guitar, then the double bass. I need the bass, there is no other instrument for me.” As Hyun Mi nodded in understanding, Ruki leaned forward and spun the bottle.

 

The bottle now stopped at Moon In and Aoi. Deciding that Aoi would get to ask the question this time, we all settled back into our seats, waiting for his question. A meaningful smile slowly appears on Aoi's lips as he plays with his piercing, looking straight at Moon In. "I have decided on my question. Which is the one member you hate in our group so far?"

 

Moon In, not backing down from the challenge, looks straight at Aoi and says simply, “You.” Hearing this Ruki burst out laughing. “Me? What do you mean? Aren’t you going to think a bit more about your answer?!” Lost, Aoi looks at her, slightly shocked she’d say something like that. “Well, Aoi-san, I can assure you that is not really what she meant. She was just trying to irritate you... Neh, unnie?”

 

Moon In nods, laughing openly. “Of course! All of you are such fun guys, how could I ever dislike any of you? Plus teasing you is just so much fun! You should have seen your face!!! But, Sang Hee. You spoilt it. You know me well, I know but please don’t spoil my fun like this please~!” Hearing this Aoi sighed relieved and Sang Hee giggled. “Unnie, you’ll just trouble them with such answers~” Reaching out, she spun the bottle again.

 

Hye Soo turned out to be the answerer this time with Ruki on the questioning end. “Hmm.... Well Hye Soo-san, I shall go for a very basic question. Who is your favourite member in your own group?” Hye Soo grinned and without hesitating pointed and spoke, “My favourite unnie, Sang Hee!~” Hearing her answer, Sang Hee blushed as Kai nodded at her in approval.

 

Ruki giggles, “The others aren’t mad?” Receiving a shake of their heads, he tilts his head. “Everyone knows that I love her. And they all know it will not change. SO there you go, Ruki-san!~”

 

Kai spun the bottle again, the bottle stopping on the two leaders. “I can ask the question now, can I Sang Hee-chan?” Kai smiles at her pleasantly. “Uhm sure, I suppose...” Sang Hee nodded, suddenly nervous. Uruha, who was sitting beside her patted her back, “He’s not scary, Sang Hee-chan~ hic~!” Sang Hee giggled and gently pulled away the glass of alcohol from him and replaced it with soda water which calmed him down.

 

“Well then, something we have all been curious about. Why did you want to work with us?” Kai’s face turned serious as he stared at her unwaveringly. Taking a deep breath, she looked around at everyone, realising she was the centre of attention.

 

“I know that my band knows this, but I have wanted to be an idol for a long time. Practising my composition skills, singing, and dancing was all a part of that. I have worked hard to come here and with me, as my motivation, I had only two things. Support from friends and the music I listened to. This is where the GazettE comes in.” Sang Hee looked at her bandmates who smiled at her, urging her to continue.

 

“Throughout my trainee days, I have listened to you guys and got through those long and tiring days. I knew I wanted to stand on the same stage as you so I worked hard with my Flores and here we are, a successful band. Luckily, my company asked us if there was anything specific we wanted to do as a band. I immediately said collaborate with the GazettE. So here we are now, a result of that one request. Thank you for coming here, everyone.” Sang Hee gracefully dipped her head

 

Kai let out a deep sigh, “Wow, I didn’t think we were that influential. This really makes me happy and makes me want to work harder!” Looking at his bandmates Ruki also spoke up, “Guys, we need to do even better from here on.” Reita addressed Sang Hee, “Sang Hee-chan, thank you. I hope we get along well and let’s do our best together!”

 

The waiter brought in more drinks and food which the two bands attacked, conversation now easily flowing between them.



 

Two hours later, their managers come back. “Okay boys, time to call it a night!” Takuya urges the GazettE out of their seats. Jae Seok taps Hyun Mi who starts grumbling at having to leave ‘so soon’. Kai and Sang Hee stand up and move away to a corner where they shake hands.

 

“I look forward to tomorrow,” Sang Hee smiled at him. “Um, are we meeting tomorrow?” Kai tilted his head, confused. Sang Hee nodded. “To finalise a few official documents and stuff, our managers will hold a meeting with our board members and we will be hanging out together!”

 

“Oh! Okay! Then I look forward to seeing you girls tomorrow!~” Kai beamed at her before rejoining his group. Sang Hee looked at her phone, ‘no new messages’ flashing at the top while the time, 00:32 stared back at her. “Ah... It’s this late already...” Sang Hee went back to the rest who had left the bar and were waving goodbye to each other.

 

Soon, they were back in their dorms. “Wow, that was so amazing! I wouldn’t have imagined them to be this fun!” Min Hee giggled in excitement. Moon In came out of her shower and hugged Hye Soo, “I’m going to sleep...” Hye Soo chuckles and hugs back, “Okay! Good night, unnie!”

 

Hyun Mi finishes the fishtail braid on Sang Hee and releases her. “Thanks, Hyun Mi~” Sang Hee kisses her friend on her cheek before retiring to her room with Hye Soo. “Well that was tiring!” Sighing heavily, Sang Hee crashes onto her bed. “You did well though!” Hye Soo exclaimed happily, changing into her pajamas.

 

“I wonder... I hope I did well enough...” Sang Hee plugs her phone into the dock before softly playing the few ballads the GazettE has produced. Before long Moon In walks in with her bottle of water and hugs Sang Hee briefly. “You’ve done well, Sang Hee. Don’t sweat about it, okay?” smiling like the kind unnie she is, she settles into her bed before pulling the covers over her.

 

“Thank you, unnie. You always know what I’m thinking...” Sang Hee smiles at her unnie’s intuitive senses before climbing underneath the covers herself, switching off the lights. “Hye Soo wishes the other two goodnight under her breath before she slips away to dreamland.

 

>>>POV change<<<

 

Kai plops another chip into his mouth before the packet is grabbed from him. "Don't hog, Kai," Aoi shrugs at him as he switches on the TV to watch the rerun of their talk show which they filmed a couple of days before. Kai goes back to the message sent to him by his manager, Takuya. Ruki unceremoniously crashes onto the couch and onto his lap. "What are you staring at, Kai?" Ruki pokes Kai's thigh as he grabs one of the chips from Aoi's hand.

 

Kai hands his phone to Ruki after turning up the volume and plugging in his earphones. Ruki reads out loud to the band members around. "Kai, tomorrow morning's schedule has changed. You are now to get ready in the morning with the others and come downstairs by 09:30. We have to go to the Fiery Entertainment building to meet with the Flores. But I think you knew that already.”

 

Uruha whistles from his spot in front of his Wii. “A date this early, Kai?” Blushing Kai looks at Uruha with feigned anger, “Sh-Shut up Uru! It says it’s a meeting! Ruki, read on please.” Aoi slaps Ruki’s arm. “Idiot, don’t stop in the middle!”

 

Ruki sighs before continuing, “Of course, it is a meeting. You guys will meet with those five and work out basic details of your work together in a more official environment compared to tonight. The two managers will be in the office with the rest of their management so make sure to behave like good kids. I put them in your hands, Yutaka.”

 

Kai sighs again for the umpteenth time that night. “I can’t imagine taking care of all four of you and also being able to discuss work with the girls.” Uruha switches off his console and walks over to where his band is gathered around Kai and Ruki who are lounging on the couch. “We shall behave then, for you especially, Kai-san.”

 

Ruki giggles, “Yeah, we don’t want kids upset~”. Aoi starts chuckling along while Uruha smirks, Reita just sighing. “It’s okay, Kai. Let’s all go to sleep now, okay?” Standing up, while taking off the noseband, he walks to his room where he is later joined by Uruha.

 

Uruha simply changes into a night shirt before slipping into his bed and cuddling up in a corner. Reita climbs into his own bed wearing pajamas and a comfy tee before switching the lights off and letting himself drift off into lalaland.

 

Kai sighs as he sits on his bed. “I wonder is any of them were repulsed by us...” Aoi clucks his tongue and looks at Kai annoyed. “Not everyone hates you, Yutaka. Just because you joined this band last doesn’t make you any less part of it and you’re the leader dammit! Be more confident! Don’t be such a crybaby, okay?! It’s really annoying at night when I’m about to sleep.” Glaring at him, he slips under the covers, switching the lights off.

 

Kai bites his lip, still thinking in the darkness. “But Yuu... If they don’t like any of the five of us, it will be a problem, you know?” whispering into the dark, he realised he was alone as the eldest member had already fallen asleep. Aoi, quietly turning, looks at his leader in the dark, ‘I don’t know why you’re always so on edge, Yutaka. You’re an amazing person. Just accept it already.’

 

Kai sighs again for the last time that night before turning his back to Aoi’s bed and himself succumbing to the darkness as the fatigue takes over him.

 

Ruki slips into the kitchen and switches on the dimmest lights after he sees the rest of the house go dark and silent like a sleeping beast. Pulling down the foie gras can that he had hidden away in the fridge, he sets about preparing his post-midnight snack. Putting the dishes down in the sink just as stealthily as a cat, he switches the lights off after his snack is safely in his system.

 

Smiling at the two doors he passes his thoughts formulate a large jumbled thought which can only be contained in these 10 words, “Tomorrow on is a new challenge. Let’s do our best.” Mock saluting the dark, he slips into his nightwear and goes to sleep finally as the house finally quietens down from their after-drinking gathering.






Nobody would be able to tell what would happen next except tomorrow itself which the ten awaited with their pulses racing in anticipation.

 

 

 

A/N:: Thank you for having patience and now, reading it. I am truly glad I could add to this fandom somehow! And I know this is about half an hour early, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, URUHA-SAMA!!!

 



 

 

 

 

 

PS: I am really sorry for the delay and I will try and upload the next chapter by Friday or Saturday. Otherwise, it will definitely be up by Wednesday.