27

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

              Baekhyun, what have they done to you?

Hwayoung stared up at the head that had been gruesomely speared and hung from the front gate. Baekhyun’s eyes stared blankly and his jaw hung slack, but his features were mostly obscured behind the fast-drying blood that clung to his skin like a final curse. Behind closed eyes, Baekhyun’s final expression of terror haunted Hwayoung.

              It was in front of the closed gate that Hwayoung stood, feeling entirely numb. A thick, serpentine mist had risen from among the huts and cast a blanket of silence over the village. The night was peaceful, but Hwayoung felt as though sharp claws were clawing into her chest. However, even the pain she felt inside of her felt far away.

              Hwayoung put her hand to her cloak pocket to feel for the horrible necklace of teeth and made her way to stand directly before the gate. She ran her hand over the aged trunks. The gates were older than anyone in the village’s recent memory, and only legends existed to tell of its creation. To sneak through the gate was akin to a suicide mission- they would have to be crazy.

              Luckily for her, Hwayoung was desperate.

              The girl with her dark hair spilling like a river down her back dropped to her knees. To climb over the gate was impossible but burrowing under it- that she could do. Her hands scraped frantically against the solid ground. She could feel the skin around her nail beds break open, but she did not stop. It was not cold enough for the ground to be frozen solid, but it was enough to slow her down significantly. Ever minute she sat in the open digging was a moment she could be found.

              If any villager found her, then she was as good as dead. Hwayoung had a horrible feeling that Jinki would not be merciful, even if the person was his own betrothed. Sentries could walk by at any time.

              When the hole was big enough for Hwayoung to wiggle underneath, she threw herself into the dirt and shimmed through her hole as much as fast as she was able. Mud caked her front and smeared about her face, but Hwayoung did not pay it any mind. With a final grunt, Hwayoung pushed herself upright and sat for only a moment to catch her breath. Again, Hwayoung looked up at the grimace on Baekhyun’s face as he stared blankly towards the forest.

              I will take you there. Hwayoung promised, putting a hand to her pocket once more.

              Hwayoung had only just reached the edge of the trees when a sudden force pushed her roughly against a hard trunk and pinned her there. The breath thoroughly knocked out of her, Hwayoung groaned in pain.

              A dark face came into view among the trees. The moon shrouded behind thick gray clouds, Hwayoung could only make out the dangerous yellow eyes until the person spoke. Their voice was a terrible growl, but Hwayoung recognized that voice. Chanyeol.

              “We ought to kill you right here,” Chanyeol’s voice was not human. “I ought to let your guts fall all over the snow and leave you for the animals to eat your leftovers.”

              His hand wrapped around , and Hwayoung felt herself emit a horrible half-gurgle. Her hands desperately pulled at Chanyeol’s hands in an attempt to free herself, but his grip was like iron. Black spots began to fill her vision and her arms went limp.

              “Chanyeol, stop it. She’s not with them.”

              Jongin’s voice came from somewhere behind the boy who had Hwayoung by the throat, and Hwayoung felt the pressure around lift, and then she was on the ground. She coughed in horrible gasps, massaging where she had been pinned against the tree. Bringing her knees to her chest, Hwayoung curled into a protective ball as she struggled to catch her breath.

              Jongin kneeled before her in concern. His hands ran over her neck and collarbones. “Are you okay?”

              She nodded silently. She closed her eyes and felt the relief of the cold earth against her cheek.

              “We should have killed her when we had the chance,” Chanyeol growled. “Because of her, we are being hunted like animals. Baek is dead!”

              “It was not Hwayoung’s fault,” Jongin turned towards his brother to put himself defensively in front of Hwayoung. “We knew this was going to happen eventually.”

              “Our brother is dead,” Chanyeol spat. “And his head is hanging from a spike over the village.”

              “Look, Chanyeol, I miss Baek, too. But what happe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter