Chapter 2

The Emperor's Men
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hani cocked her head to the side, her brows receded into her fringe and she stared at what her eyes saw before her. Nothing really made sense to her. She had been jogging in the park and then some people had grabbed her. She’d imagined being kidnapped and then poof. Here she was being given blasphemous looks.

 

She twitched a little when a very pretty girl pointed at her legs and then whispered into someone else’s ear as if she didn’t know the conversation involved her.

 

“What?” She asked in a rather impolite manner. She placed her hands on her hips and some of the elder ladies gasped. They all seemed to have a problem with her. The guys were dramatically, diverting their gazes although she could see them shooting secret glances as a wrinkly maid shoo-ed them away.

 

When the hag was done, Hani began, “Seriously, this is not funny! Are you guys in the middle of filming something?”

 

“Oh great ‘Fated one,’ these humble servants beseech you, who came from the Heavens, to save the dear Crown Prince for he lies ill and in need of your divine powers,” the old lady flailed. A flock of ladies joined her and sat on their knees to bow at her. Hani took a step backwards, startled by this change of attention.

 

She raised her hands and insisted they get up but the stubborn bunch refused to budge and instead repeated their plea. She must have heard it at least a billion times like the persistence of buzzing flies.

 

She groaned and squeezed the sides of her head with her palms lest it explode. A grand pair of doors swung open to reveal two male figures. The attention that had been forced on her shifted direction towards the shorter male.

 

“Your Highness,” the court crooned graciously.

 

The ‘Highness’ in question lifted an arm ceasing the crowd dressed in uniform green robes. He dismissed them without batting an eyelash their way. All his focus was on Hani who seemed rather uncomfortable about being stared at so openly. His cheeks reddened and he turned to his companion for help. The masked man nodded and in a heartbeat stood before her. Hani jumped, surprised. The man seemed indifferent as he removed his clock and draped it over her shoulders. Before any words could be exchanged, he was back at the young man’s side.

 

His ‘Highness’’ eyes delved into hers and she could make out the soft charcoal orbs scintillating with hope. His lashes fluttered with each blink of awe. She had been admiring his cute appearance when he broke into a smile. “So you are the famous Fated one!”

 

‘Fated one,’ it was a term she’d heard non-stop and wondered what it meant. So she asked but the male with pretty features only laughed at her, confusing her further.

 

“You are quite a joker, but alas we have no time for wit,” came the melodic tone.

 

Hani blinked at him not quite sure what to say to that. She held her hands behind her back and stood upright  so not to feel intimidated by the acquaintance. The tall man clad in black wore dark pants; a matching long sleeved tunic; at his hip, he carried a sword; the lower half of his face was masked; a forehead protector was tied around his head; and his abundant hair was tied in a low, half ponytail. In ordinary circumstances she might have laughed but he seemed too daunting with his sharp eyes and thick brows.

 

The tall one lowered his gaze when he caught her staring, making a blush creep into her cheeks. There was no time to apologize for being a weirdo because his zealous friend plucked her hand from her side.

 

“My dear Fated one, I request the aid of all the powers in your possession.”

 

“What? I’m sorry, can you please explain all of this because I don’t think I was given a script.”

 

“A ‘script?’ Manu-script?” Luhan was befuddled.

 

Here, Hani slapped her forehead and laughed at the joke. It just seemed all too delirious to be taken seriously. Whatever show this was, the cast really seemed to get into character. They were wild. “Okay, okay, where are the cameras? What are we filming right now?”

 

‘Filming,’ and ‘cameras’ were new words to Luhan. He looked perplexed and turned to Yifan for help. The latter seemed just as bemused.

 

“My brother lies ill, please save him!” Luhan begged.

 

Hani stopped laughing and just gaped. “Wait, hold on. Brother?!” She shook her head as the situation began to piece itself. However, despite that she was still unable to comprehend the seriousness of the situation until the man in red and gold robes clasped his hands together.

 

“For his sickness there’s no cure. You are my last hope!”

 

Hani emitted a nervous chuckle. “I’m flunking my first year of med school and am thinking about dropping out, and you’re here asking me to save a life? Do you not understand how wrong this sounds?”

 

No answer. So she continued, “I’m not qualified to work with patients. You’ve got the wrong person.”

 

“So you are refusing me?” His voice broke and his countenance crumpled. His arms dropped to his side and tears threatened to spill. “You saved someone before!” He implored accusingly.

 

Hani opened to respond and then it all came flooding back. She gasped recalling how she’d met an oddly dressed man with long overflowing hair crying over a headache in the subway. She’d thought nothing off it when she’d handed him a paracetamol. Now that she thought about it, that person seemed similarly dressed to the whackos she’d just met.

 

She clutched her head feeling burdened. What had she gone and done? Her eyes d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter