One Night Stopover In Mersing

Bring Me To Tioman

Location: Mersing Town

Time: 17:00

 

Soohyun, Hyorin, Sora and Kikwang step out of the coach. Caption: Welcome to Mersing!

 

Caption: Mersing is located on the east coast of the peninsular Malaysian state of Johor. The camera is showing footage of where Mersing is located at in a map.

 

Then, it shows the different attractions in Mersing such as their beaches and the ferry terminal. Caption: This semi-tourist town is best known for its passenger boat jetty where boats depart daily for numerous offshore islands.

 

Footages of the life in the small town is shown. Caption: A throwback to a small town, full of outdoor activities, slow-paced life and relaxing natural surroundings.

 

It also shows a bird’s eye view of the town. Caption: A gateway to nature and traditional culture, Mersing!

 

Hyorin observes her surrounding and pulls her luggage along, “Oooh, we are finally here! One step closer to our destination.”

 

Once Soohyun picks up his luggage from the bus storage, he immediately takes out his guidebook to find a place to stay that night. Kikwang who notices that Sora is having some difficulties retrieving her luggage from the bus storage, immediately helps her. Caption: What a gentleman.

 

The four of them gather at the side with their luggages. “We will look for a budget hotel to stay in for the night. After we have settled down, let’s go out for dinner.”

 

With that, the four of them head out in search of a cheap place to stay. Soohyun, being the leader is in the lead with the other three following close behind. Caption: Papa bird and his baby birds looking for a place to stay. Occasionally, Kikwang helps Sora with her luggage as she seems to have some difficulties with her luggage.

 

Soohyun stops in front of a small hotel at the heart of the town, “Guys, let’s try for this hotel to see if they can accommodate us.”

 

The others agree and so they enter the budget hotel. Soohyun approaches the receptionist while the others set aside their luggages at the lobby waiting area.

 

“We are looking for 2 bedrooms for one night,” Soohyun talks in simple English.

 

The receptionist says, “We have standard double and standard twin available.”

 

“How much?” Soohyun asks.

 

“RM65 per night for one room.” Caption: 19000won for one night!

 

Soohyun approaches the others to ask for their opinion, “One room costs about RM65 per night. I think it’s slightly pricey for a budget hotel.”

 

Sora gives her wise opinion, “I think the price is reasonable. This hotel is located in the middle of the town and it’s nearer to the ferry terminal. And look at all the food option out there. I think it’s worth it.”

 

“How about we try to bargain? We’ll ask for RM60,” Hyorin grins, “Let me do it.”

 

Hyorin approaches the receptionist and says in simple English, “Can you give us… Cheaper?”

 

“I’m sorry but…” Before the receptionist can finish her sentence, Hyorin immediately intercepts her.

 

“We… Hallyu stars. I…” Hyorin points to herself. “Idol… Sistar kpop. Have you heard of Sistar?” She casually starts singing and dancing to Touch My Body. Caption: Touch my body.

 

Then, she points to Soohyun. “He… Popular Actor… Kim Soohyun… Alien from My Love From The Star.” Caption: Do Min Joon-sshi~

 

"Beast Kikwang… Kpop..." She points to Kikwang and does the penguin dance from Fiction which causes everyone to erupt in laughter. Caption: Fiction, fiction.

 

"Hyorin-sshi is cute," Kikwang laughs and shakes his head simultaneously.

 

Hyorin points to Sora, "Kang Sora... Top actress... Dream High 2. So, can you give us cheaper? RM60?”

Hyorin then breaks into a fit of aegyo to convince the receptionist. Caption: Hyorin’s killer aegyo! The receptionist seems reluctant at first but finally agrees to give them a discount. Hyorin cheers and shakes the receptionist hand in excitement. Caption: Bargain success!

 

Soohyun grins, “I’m starting to see Hyorin-sshi in a different light. We will definitely need her bargaining skills in our trip.” Caption: Hyorin the bargain queen!

 

“Hyorin jjang!” Sora gives two thumbs up and giggles.

 

After paying for the two rooms and getting their keys, they head over to their respective rooms which are opposite one another. The moment Hyorin opens the door to hers and Sora’s room, Hyorin lets out an impressed squeal, “This room is good despite the fact that it’s a budget hotel.” The room that they get is a standard twin room whereby there are two single beds beside each other. A small LCD television is mounted on the wall and the room is air-conditioned. However, there is no wardrobe or any storage compartments in the room.

 

Sora immediately checks out the bathroom which has all the essential facilities such as toilet and shower, “The bathroom is clean as well. It’s worth the price. I like it here.” Caption: Sora umma is impressed.

 

“Unnie, we can see the town and jetty from here. And, look at the sunset,” Hyorin points to the window. Both Sora and Hyorin look out the window where they are able to see the sunset. Caption: Beautiful sunset from the hotel room window.

 

On the other hand, Soohyun and Kikwang collapse on their respective bed once they enter their room. Kikwang sighs in content. Caption: This is the life.

 

An hour later, they went out to have dinner. "Ah, I'm hungry." Hyorin rubs her growling stomach.

 

"They have a whole stretch of food places," Soohyun says. Caption: Food paradise for the hungry souls.

 

After walking around for 15 minutes, they decide to have their dinner at an Indian restaurant. They take a seat inside and browse the menu before calling the waiter to order. Soohyun and Sora order Fried Rice while Kikwang and Hyorin order 2 Roti Canai each. The four of them wait quietly for their food. Caption: Another awkward situation...

 

10 minutes later, Kikwang and Hyorin's food arrive first followed by Soohyun and Sora's Fried Rice. The four of them dig in their respective food.

 

"So this is how roti canai looks like. It reminds me of pancakes," Kikwang flips the roti canai around. Caption: Roti canai, a popular delicacy in Malaysia. A type of Indian-influenced flatbread. Normally dipped in any types of curry.

 

Sora tastes her fried rice and chews slowly, “This fried rice has an interesting flavour and it’s spicy. It’s different the one in Korea.”

 

Soohyun is eating his food quietly and he never stops feeding himself with the fried rice. Speech bubble: So delicious. Hyorin dips a small piece of her roti canai in the mutton curry and takes a bite. Her eyes lit up when she is chewing her dipped roti canai. “This is so good. I like it!”

 

And so, the four of them eat their food in silence. Caption: The food must be really good that made all of them speechless.

 

After they finish their food, they order teh tarik each. Caption: Teh Tarik or literally ‘Pulled Tea’ is a hot milk tea beverage. It is made from black tea, condensed milk and/or evaporated milk. Considered as the national drink of Malaysia.

 

Kikwang takes a sip, “I can drink this all day. I could possibly pass bubble tea for this.”

 

“No, I could pass alcohol for this drink,” Hyorin chuckles.

 

“Alcohol is different,” Soohyun laughs. The four them toast to commemorate the start of their trip. Caption: Their one night in Mersing ends off with a good note accompanied by good food. More exciting adventures are in store for these four stars.

 

Sources:

Mersing → http://wikitravel.org/en/Mersing

Roti Canai → http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai  

Teh Tarik → http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh_tarik