009

Rogue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
9

  

Soojung had a poker face.  At first, Miran thought she was just permanently bored and uninterested, but that thankfully turned out not to be the case.  Having explained why Soojung and Chanyeol were there and received the appropriately horrified responses, Miran began laying out her files and the notes she’d so far taken, as well as her current list of suspects.  Chanyeol was just about managing not to stare at her in barely veiled admiration – she didn’t know if it unsettled her or if she actually found it kind of cute.  His eyes were large and bright – though not as large and bright as Kyungsoo’s – and he had his elbow on the table and his head tilted into the palm of his hand.

“So, basically,” said Soojung, leaning forward over the table with her arms crossed, “everybody’s suspicious except perhaps us, but some people are more suspicious than others and it’s probably best to start investigating them first.”

“Yes,” Miran agreed.  Soojung her bottom lip in between her teeth.

Chanyeol finally tore his eyes away from Miran to look at the papers spread out on the table.  Miran had managed to find an unoccupied room to use and there was no danger of being overheard.

“So… the two big events we have to go off are Sehun being killed and the memory stick,” he said.  “Is there anybody who was present at both events?”

Miran shrugged helplessly.  “I still need to check security tapes, access card and wrist tags because I don’t know who was still in the building when Oh Sehun was killed, though I think there’s a fair possibility that it was somebody somehow involved in his questioning or arrest.  As for the memory stick, it got knocked out of my hand, but equally, it could have been corrupted when Oh Sehun handed it in, or anywhere between him and the COO’s computer.  There wasn’t a problem when he first plugged it in yesterday, so it could even have been something that was done this mor—”

“Some virus are programmed to remain undetected for a while, or take time to be discovered,” Soojung told her.

Miran nodded.  “Basically, there’s nothing concrete we can go on from either, but the only person who I know for definite was in the vicinity of both incidents, and who I saw myself, was Kim Junmyeon.  But if it’s him, I don’t think he would be that obvious.  He’d have been caught a long time ago.  There’s a possibility he’s bluffing, but if Kim Junmyeon has a hand in all this, I can only see that as a possibility that there’s more than one mole, and he’s either taking the hit for the other one by drawing suspicion to himself, or he was turned just a short while ago and is just terrible at disguising it.”  She pulled her notes on Kim Junmyeon to the side and slipped out the short brief on Yerim’s death.

Chanyeol and Soojung both came closer to look.

“I need to ask Kyungsoo for the full case details as he was the one assigned to it,” admitted Miran, “but I think the other key area we need to look at is Yerim’s death.  Actually, Yerim’s another reason I think there might be more than one mole, and why it’s possible it’s Kim Junmyeon.  If there were only the two of them and Yerim needed to be taken care of quickly, but two were needed to get the information that was wanted, the rogue probably killed Yerim and then quickly got Kim Junmyeon as a stand-in for her.”

“What do we so far know about Yerim’s death?” Chanyeol asked, suddenly very business-like.

“It’s just a précis, really.  She was shot in the back of the head while she was in her car from a distance of twenty-five feet.  It was an instan—”  She frowned for a moment, looking down at the notes, and then reached for her internal phone.  “Hang on a second.”

Kyungsoo answered almost immediately.  “Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” said Miran, a little unsure and retreating to the corner of the room in an attempt to get Soojung and Chanyeol to stop looking at her.  “Do you mind running over the autopsy reports for Yerim’s death?  I’m in the Old Conference Room on the third floor.”

“Sure.  Just give me a minute or two to dig it out and I’ll be right there.”  There was a click as he hung up.

“What was that about?” Soojung asked immediately.  Miran chewed her tongue nervously.

“I just want to look into the shooting style.  It seems kind of familiar.”

Chanyeol’s eyes lit up immediately.  “Is it somebody you shot against at school?  I can list all the names for you if that helps—”

“No, it’s not,” Miran murmured.  She slipped back across to the table and into a chair.  “It’s nothing concrete – I want to have a good look at the case files first.”

An awkward silence fell.  For the most part, none of them moved, except for Soojung every so often picking up a piece of paper and then putting it back again, evidently without reading it.  Just as it was beginning to become unbearable, there was a soft knock on the door.  Miran almost sprinted across to open it, nearly wrenching it off its hinges to reveal a startled Kyungsoo and an equally surprised Hyeri.  Miran tried and failed not to narrow her eyes at the woman.

“Is everything all right?” Kyungsoo asked Miran in concern, scanning her up and down.  “You look a bit… flustered.”

Miran could actually feel her face turning bright red.  “I’m fine,” she practically snapped back, but Kyungsoo paid no attention to her tone.  Hyeri frowned, though.

Before she could dwell on the fact that she appeared to have ruffled the feathers of the agency’s best shot, Miran ushered Kyungsoo into the room.  Hyeri trailed after him.

“This is the entire case file,” Kyungsoo said as he set the thing down on the desk.  It was much thicker than Miran had expected.  “I don’t know how much of it you’ll want or need, but I’ve put everything to do with the autopsy and death at the front and it’s directly followed with my personal notes and findings on the subject.”  His hand lingered on the top of the file, preventing Miran from picking it up.  He turned his head away, smiling briefly at Soojung and Chanyeol.  “Let me know if you need anything else.  Hyeri, let’s go.”

The second they were out of the room, Miran, Chanyeol and Soojung descended on the file like three hungry wolves.  Chanyeol won, and he held it aloft in triumph.

“I’m a data analyst,” he pointed out.  “This is my job.”

It didn’t stop them from peering over his shoulders as he sat back down and began to flick through.  Miran saw that Yixing’s name was there among the short list of coroners who had performed the autopsy and also that Kim Jongdae’s was on the list of people who had helped out when it came to forensics.

“She got shot from behind when she was in the car,” Soojung murmured once Chanyeol had pulled out the most relevant information and written it down on a separate piece of paper.  “That’s insane.  The aim and precision are basically top sniper level.  It had to go over the back seat but under the headrest and that’s a very, very narrow window.”

“It wasn’t a sniper,” said Chanyeol.  “The most it could have been was a small game rifle; .22 Long is used either for that or for pistols.”

“Do we know which?” Miran chipped in.

“No,” said Chanyeol, “but I don’t remember anybody here being listed with a licence to shoot small game as it’s been illegal for the last nine years, so my guess is it was most likely so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter